Fordham c/o 2016/17 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ajax

Re: Fordham c/o 2016/17 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby ajax » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:02 pm

ajax wrote:
ph5354a wrote:
ajax wrote:
Cornell's prospects in NYC are much better than Fordham's.

You're probably right. I should've said that I was focusing only on big law when I researched this --40% of Cornell's class ended up in big law compared to 20-25% of Fordham's I believe. It was probably much easier for those Cornell grads to ge those jobs, but I think that if living in Ithaca is abhorrent to you, Fordham can still get you where you want to go. ETA: if you're willing to work much much harder. I would still pick Cornell over Fordham any day.

Fordham:
Percent of 2011 class at firms over 100: 24.7
Percent of 2011 class at Fed clerkships: 2.3

Cornell:
Percent of 2011 class at firms over 100: 38.8
Percent of 2011 class at Fed clerkships: 7.9

NYC cost of living compared to Albany (I couldn't find stats for Ithaca, so I would assume even cheaper than Albany):
Groceries 29% cheaper in Albany
Housing 72% less in Albany
Utilities 27% less in Albany
Transportation 16% less in Albany

http://money.cnn.com/calculator/pf/cost-of-living/

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=cornell&show=ABA

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=fordham&show=ABA

However, this should all go in "choosing a law school" forum.

I'm uncertain if this applies here, but take from this what you will:

"The NALP/ABA data for individual schools should be taken with a huge grain of salt, because of the leeway CSOs are given by the guidelines when reporting data. A tipoff in regard to the reliability of this data is how unrealistically complete it purports to be. Anybody who had done any sort of empirical survey knows that it's extremely difficult to get anything close to complete data. But the ABA data has no holes in it at all. For example, when you look at the 192 SHU 2011 grads with bar admission required jobs, 184 are purportedly in full-time long-term positions, while the other eight are either short-term or part-time or both. In other words, SHU is claiming to know the precise employment status of all 192 of its grads who have (or who SHU claims have) bar admission required jobs. That is extremely improbable to say the least. What happens is that the reporting guidelines allow CSOs to simply use default assumptions for missing data. The default assumption here is that a grad is employed full-time and long-term, unless the CSO has information to the contrary.

This, of course, ends up seriously overstating the number of people who actually have full-time long-term employment. Etc."

-Campos

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:19 pm

ajax wrote:I'm uncertain if this applies here, but take from this what you will:

"The NALP/ABA data for individual schools should be taken with a huge grain of salt, because of the leeway CSOs are given by the guidelines when reporting data. A tipoff in regard to the reliability of this data is how unrealistically complete it purports to be. Anybody who had done any sort of empirical survey knows that it's extremely difficult to get anything close to complete data. But the ABA data has no holes in it at all. For example, when you look at the 192 SHU 2011 grads with bar admission required jobs, 184 are purportedly in full-time long-term positions, while the other eight are either short-term or part-time or both. In other words, SHU is claiming to know the precise employment status of all 192 of its grads who have (or who SHU claims have) bar admission required jobs. That is extremely improbable to say the least. What happens is that the reporting guidelines allow CSOs to simply use default assumptions for missing data. The default assumption here is that a grad is employed full-time and long-term, unless the CSO has information to the contrary.

This, of course, ends up seriously overstating the number of people who actually have full-time long-term employment. Etc."

-Campos

That's why you should look at how many report back. I don't know about class of 2011, but class of 2010 had something like a 97% response rate (I looked it up last year). Fordham consistently has a very high response rate.
Now I know you have something against the school and want to point out everything wrong with it, but this is not the place to do so. Take it to the "Choosing a law school" forum.

edit: class of 2010 had a 98.9% response rate
Last edited by dingbat on Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ajax

Postby ajax » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:27 pm

dingbat wrote:
ajax wrote:I'm uncertain if this applies here, but take from this what you will:

-Campos

That's why you should look at how many report back. I don't know about class of 2011, but class of 2010 had something like a 97% response rate (I looked it up last year). Fordham consistently has a very high response rate.
Now I know you have something against the school and want to point out everything wrong with it, but this is not the place to do so. Take it to the "Choosing a law school" forum.

I have absolutely zero against Fordham, other than it being stingy with scholarship money. In fact, I think it is one of the better law schools in NYC. Now, when i responded to someone comparing it to Cornell, I said the response wasn't appropriate for this forum. Then I had to edit my response, because I learned further information that would cast doubt on my response. How you gathered from this that I hate Fordham, I have no clue.

ajax

Postby ajax » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:39 pm

For dingbat.

One excellent thing about Fordham is that it doesn't take in a ton of transfers. A lot of schools do this, because they don't have to report transfer student LSAT and GPA to the USNEWs. Therefore, it is a revenue boost for the school. Unfortunately, when schools do this they hurt their current students, because it makes finding jobs much more competitive.

Fordham only took in 17 transfers from the most recent report. George Washington, a peer school, took in 104.

https://officialguide.lsac.org/RELEASE/ ... lData.aspx

https://officialguide.lsac.org/RELEASE/ ... lData.aspx

So in fact, I do not hate Fordham. I am allowed to think it is stingy with scholarships, and still respect the school.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:43 pm

ajax wrote:I have absolutely zero against Fordham, other than it being stingy with scholarship money. In fact, I think it is one of the better law schools in NYC. Now, when i responded to someone comparing it to Cornell, I said the response wasn't appropriate for this forum. Then I had to edit my response, because I learned further information that would cast doubt on my response. How you gathered from this that I hate Fordham, I have no clue.

Actually, I gathered it from past behavior, and the fact that nearly 40% of your posts on this board are about Fordham, most of which are negative (you had a few when you were an applicant); how often have you been banned for trolling Fordham threads now?

ajax

Postby ajax » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:44 pm

dingbat wrote:
ajax wrote:I have absolutely zero against Fordham, other than it being stingy with scholarship money. In fact, I think it is one of the better law schools in NYC. Now, when i responded to someone comparing it to Cornell, I said the response wasn't appropriate for this forum. Then I had to edit my response, because I learned further information that would cast doubt on my response. How you gathered from this that I hate Fordham, I have no clue.

Actually, I gathered it from past behavior, and the fact that nearly 40% of your posts on this board are about Fordham, most of which are negative (you had a few when you were an applicant); how often have you been banned for trolling Fordham threads now?

I have been banned quite a few times for saying cost/benefit for Fordham does not line up when paying sticker. Somehow you have concluded from this that I hate the school.

I think we should not be discussing this in this thread. PM me?

stuckinthemiddle

Postby stuckinthemiddle » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:41 am

Thanks guys for all the info!

Do you all think there is a prime time to start negotiating with Fordham, or can I begin now? I don't want to come off too strong.

EDIT: also, if there is a more appropriate place to ask this question, please let me know. Just don't want to start a new thread for such minor queries. :p

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:25 am

stuckinthemiddle wrote:Thanks guys for all the info!

Do you all think there is a prime time to start negotiating with Fordham, or can I begin now? I don't want to come off too strong.

EDIT: also, if there is a more appropriate place to ask this question, please let me know. Just don't want to start a new thread for such minor queries. :p

Personally, I'm going to wait until March or so when everything settles and I've received more offers/scholarships to actually negotiate with.

romanticegotist

Postby romanticegotist » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:15 pm

Quick question: If my online status has first/full deposit sections listed is that a good sign or does that just exist on Fordham's online status page from the beginning? Just noticed it now.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:20 pm

romanticegotist wrote:Quick question: If my online status has first/full deposit sections listed is that a good sign or does that just exist on Fordham's online status page from the beginning? Just noticed it now.

I think that's been on there the whole time. I have the status checker downloaded and it looks like it's been there since my first complete date for me.

romanticegotist

Postby romanticegotist » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:22 pm

Thanks. I figured as much but, as we all know, applications turn you into a crazy person hoping for any new information.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:24 pm

romanticegotist wrote:Thanks. I figured as much but, as we all know, applications turn you into a crazy person hoping for any new information.

I hear that. I'm over in the NYU thread right now freaking out about another status date change, which we know means absolutely nothing at NYU, and yet, I'm still excited by it.

uconjak

Postby uconjak » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:53 pm

I went complete in Dec. haven't heard nothing....168/3.9 non-URM, only schools I have heard from are Colorado and Iowa...applied to lower schools because I wanted some choice because my first LSAT score was only a 164. I haven't hear anything from the T-15- thru 25 schools I have applied to, this is getting very old fast.

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:51 pm

Got the admitted package today! I want to make it out for the March 3rd, ASD. Hopefully I'll have the funds to do it!

teiswei

Postby teiswei » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:56 pm

uconjak wrote:I went complete in Dec. haven't heard nothing....168/3.9 non-URM, only schools I have heard from are Colorado and Iowa...applied to lower schools because I wanted some choice because my first LSAT score was only a 164. I haven't hear anything from the T-15- thru 25 schools I have applied to, this is getting very old fast.

Patience? Ha. When did you get the 168? Most schools hold the app until your new score is in and then review applications as they go complete. So if you submitted 11/1, took the December LSAT, you are at the end of the line. Not all schools are the same but I know for certain at least 3 of the T16 work that way and I would imagine most do the same.

uconjak

Postby uconjak » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:45 pm

teiswei wrote:
uconjak wrote:I went complete in Dec. haven't heard nothing....168/3.9 non-URM, only schools I have heard from are Colorado and Iowa...applied to lower schools because I wanted some choice because my first LSAT score was only a 164. I haven't hear anything from the T-15- thru 25 schools I have applied to, this is getting very old fast.

Patience? Ha. When did you get the 168? Most schools hold the app until your new score is in and then review applications as they go complete. So if you submitted 11/1, took the December LSAT, you are at the end of the line. Not all schools are the same but I know for certain at least 3 of the T16 work that way and I would imagine most do the same.

168 in dec., at was at the medians in june....

teiswei

Postby teiswei » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:47 pm

uconjak wrote:
teiswei wrote:

Yeah, the problem is that if they notice you have an LSAT scheduled, they wait for the new score unless you explicitly tell them not to. Looks like that's why you are waiting. Don't worry, you have incredible numbers and your non-URM will assist judging off what LSN shows. Today a non-URM with below 25ths at got into Berkeley. Just keep your head up, the acceptances... and money will come 8)

uconjak

Postby uconjak » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:39 am

teiswei wrote:
uconjak wrote:
teiswei wrote:

Yeah, the problem is that if they notice you have an LSAT scheduled, they wait for the new score unless you explicitly tell them not to. Looks like that's why you are waiting. Don't worry, you have incredible numbers and your non-URM will assist judging off what LSN shows. Today a non-URM with below 25ths at got into Berkeley. Just keep your head up, the acceptances... and money will come 8)

Just paranoid, got hosed on UG, with a 34 act, 4.0 gpa, 21 ap hours...waitlisted at all my target schools. I didn't get into any. (Princeton, yale, brown, columbia)

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:49 am

uconjak wrote:
teiswei wrote:Yeah, the problem is that if they notice you have an LSAT scheduled, they wait for the new score unless you explicitly tell them not to. Looks like that's why you are waiting. Don't worry, you have incredible numbers and your non-URM will assist judging off what LSN shows. Today a non-URM with below 25ths at got into Berkeley. Just keep your head up, the acceptances... and money will come 8)

Just paranoid, got hosed on UG, with a 34 act, 4.0 gpa, 21 ap hours...waitlisted at all my target schools. I didn't get into any. (Princeton, yale, brown, columbia)

I'm in a similar situation, my first LSAT was 166 and I submitted in November. When I realized they were holding my app for my Dec. score, I asked them to review it now and I went complete on 11/28 and still haven't heard anything. My theory is that even if they were almost done reviewing with your first score, once the second score comes in, they still want to take a second look. It's also possible that even if their decision hasn't changed (i.e. they would've admitted you with either score) they might be re-evaluating their scholarship offer, since I know they usually make the scholarship offers immediately after acceptance. My last status update was 1/3, so I'm hoping for some movement this week for both of us!

woolfiot

Postby woolfiot » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:58 pm

can anyone remind me when the ASW is? or any info about upcoming events? i can't get access to the admitted students website for some reason...

teachmehowtoraji

Postby teachmehowtoraji » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:19 pm

woolfiot wrote:can anyone remind me when the ASW is? or any info about upcoming events? i can't get access to the admitted students website for some reason...

From the website:

Admitted Student Days
The Office of Admissions hosts three Admitted Student Days, where you can gain insight to Fordham Law and interact with current students, faculty, alums and administrators. You will spend the day touring the school, attending lectures by members of our outstanding faculty, hear presentations from some of our award winning centers and meet some of our distinguished alums. You will also have the opportunity to participate in a mock class which will give you insight to life as a Fordham Law Student! Invitations will be sent from our office early next year.

DATES:

Saturday, February 2
Sunday, March 3
Saturday, April 6

woolfiot

Postby woolfiot » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:25 pm

Thank you!!

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:59 pm

Last time someone said that they'd rather not know when Kathryn tweets that decisions are coming out. So I won't say it.

a-quad

Postby a-quad » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:25 pm

Just got admit email! 169/3.87 non-urm. Submitted app sometime early December.

StylinNProfilin

Postby StylinNProfilin » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:32 pm

Accepted via email as well today. 3.62/168

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”