Fordham c/o 2016/17 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
skri65
Posts: 484
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:07 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2016/17 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby skri65 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:38 pm

Thanks for the detailed response! So if I understand what you are saying, the difference between an LSAT point is statistically insignificant. I believe you, but when I see schools whose 75% and median LSAT are only one point difference, it surprises me to read that this point isn't significant.

But sayin that an LSAT point or gpa point is statistically insignificant, doesn't quite result in the claim that someone slightly below GPa and at LSAT median has a likely admission. Again, I understand why this person would have an average chance of admission, but I don't quite get why this person would have am above average chance. Feel free to PM me the response, i don't mean to spam this thread.

Manhattanman
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:16 am

Re: Fordham c/o 2016/17 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby Manhattanman » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:02 pm

Seems from last years thread that decisions started to roll out first week of November for apps that went complete in October. Hopefully, for those that submitted early at least, we only have a few weeks left of agony. Cheers

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2016/17 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby dingbat » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:12 pm

Manhattanman wrote:Seems from last years thread that decisions started to roll out first week of November for apps that went complete in October. Hopefully, for those that submitted early at least, we only have a few weeks left of agony. Cheers

I believe that that's only true for ED. Regular decision responses started rolling in around the start of the new year.

Manhattanman
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:16 am

Re: Fordham c/o 2016/17 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby Manhattanman » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:13 pm

dingbat wrote:
Manhattanman wrote:Seems from last years thread that decisions started to roll out first week of November for apps that went complete in October. Hopefully, for those that submitted early at least, we only have a few weeks left of agony. Cheers

I believe that that's only true for ED. Regular decision responses started rolling in around the start of the new year.


Hmm, didn't know that Fordham had an ED. Let me check the website.

Manhattanman
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:16 am

Re: Fordham c/o 2016/17 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby Manhattanman » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:18 pm

When you say ED are you referring to the Early Action program? The non-binding one.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2016/17 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby dingbat » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:27 pm

Manhattanman wrote:When you say ED are you referring to the Early Action program? The non-binding one.

Yes (I think)
I applied regular, so I'm not entirely sure what other options there are. My app was completed pending the October LSAT, I went under review early January and was accepted a few days later (as an aside, I'm both proof denying, and argument against, yield protection)

Manhattanman
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:16 am

Re: Fordham c/o 2016/17 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby Manhattanman » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:36 pm

dingbat wrote:
Manhattanman wrote:When you say ED are you referring to the Early Action program? The non-binding one.

Yes (I think)
I applied regular, so I'm not entirely sure what other options there are. My app was completed pending the October LSAT, I went under review early January and was accepted a few days later (as an aside, I'm both proof denying, and argument against, yield protection)


Oh, okay. According to the website if you submit your app before 10/15/12, and you take the LSAT before the October, 2012; then you are eligible for Early Action. So to be clear, and thank you for pointing it out, there is a chance that those who meet the above requirements may find out in two weeks.

As I write this post, I realize that I am trying to convince myself that this wait is not going to be much longer. The law school application process has taken it's toll on me.

Your numbers must have been well above median. Did you end up going to Fordham? If yes, how do you like it there.
1. Is it super competitive.
2. How helpful are the professors.
3. Is there anything you wished you did the year before law school to prepare.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2016/17 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby dingbat » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:50 pm

Manhattanman wrote:Your numbers must have been well above median. Did you end up going to Fordham? If yes, how do you like it there.
1. Is it super competitive.
2. How helpful are the professors.
3. Is there anything you wished you did the year before law school to prepare.

I ended up going to Fordham. Just to let people know, I received final notice on my last outstanding app in August, after orientation started. At least two people I know received their acceptance to Fordham at the end of July.

1) The students are not super-competitive. Generally, people are helpful & supportive of each other. I know one total slacker, and another who was sleeping in the library last month already (note: law library is not open 24 hours, he slept in the UG library)
2) I've found them to be helpful enough. 1 professor held a Q&A session for whoever showed up last week.
3) First and foremost, find a place to live. The dorms are fine if you don't have a choice (e.g. moving from out of state), but not preferable. Next, earn how to brief a case (do this the week before orientation). It's not hard and doesn't take you long to figure out, but it means you're not completely clueless when you start. Finally, prepare your resume.

Nothing else matters, really. TLS wisdom is to enjoy your summer and not start early. I agree.
If you really, really want to prepare, work on your typing speed (for exams) and your writing speed (for classes that ban laptops)

Manhattanman
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:16 am

Re: Fordham c/o 2016/17 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby Manhattanman » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:56 pm

dingbat wrote:
Manhattanman wrote:Your numbers must have been well above median. Did you end up going to Fordham? If yes, how do you like it there.
1. Is it super competitive.
2. How helpful are the professors.
3. Is there anything you wished you did the year before law school to prepare.

I ended up going to Fordham. Just to let people know, I received final notice on my last outstanding app in August, after orientation started. At least two people I know received their acceptance to Fordham at the end of July.

1) The students are not super-competitive. Generally, people are helpful & supportive of each other. I know one total slacker, and another who was sleeping in the library last month already (note: law library is not open 24 hours, he slept in the UG library)
2) I've found them to be helpful enough. 1 professor held a Q&A session for whoever showed up last week.
3) First and foremost, find a place to live. The dorms are fine if you don't have a choice (e.g. moving from out of state), but not preferable. Next, earn how to brief a case (do this the week before orientation). It's not hard and doesn't take you long to figure out, but it means you're not completely clueless when you start. Finally, prepare your resume.

Nothing else matters, really. TLS wisdom is to enjoy your summer and not start early. I agree.
If you really, really want to prepare, work on your typing speed (for exams) and your writing speed (for classes that ban laptops)


Perfect, thanks for the advice. Good luck your first semester.

ajax
Posts: 278
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:33 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2016/17 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby ajax » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:58 pm

Manhattanman wrote:Seems from last years thread that decisions started to roll out first week of November for apps that went complete in October. Hopefully, for those that submitted early at least, we only have a few weeks left of agony. Cheers


You can see submission, completion, and decision dates here:

http://fordham.lawschoolnumbers.com/app ... ype=jd&p=1

User avatar
Lookingforanswers
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:00 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2016/17 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby Lookingforanswers » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:27 pm

ajax wrote:
Manhattanman wrote:Seems from last years thread that decisions started to roll out first week of November for apps that went complete in October. Hopefully, for those that submitted early at least, we only have a few weeks left of agony. Cheers


You can see submission, completion, and decision dates here:

http://fordham.lawschoolnumbers.com/app ... ype=jd&p=1



I can Attest (Having Applied and got WL'ed last year) I submitted my App in November and received a decision in December, so Fordham is really good about a 4 to 6 week turnaround.

zoomzoom88
Posts: 644
Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 4:03 am

Re: Fordham c/o 2016/17 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby zoomzoom88 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:37 pm

submitted my app today 161/3.3 i know i have little to no shot -- but its my only reach ... anyone know of a non-urm who got in with these numbers?

User avatar
JCFindley
Posts: 1283
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:19 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2016/17 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby JCFindley » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:56 am

zoomzoom88 wrote:submitted my app today 161/3.3 i know i have little to no shot -- but its my only reach ... anyone know of a non-urm who got in with these numbers?


The Fordham Adcomm is one that looks at the whole picture for their applicants. There are in fact non urms accepted regularly with numbers like that or even lower. Do you have anything in your background that would add to the "Ineresting class" concept that Den Brown mentions in his interview? http://www.top-law-schools.com/stephen-brown-interview.html He is quite serious about it and Fordham is a place where softs can matter......

User avatar
JCFindley
Posts: 1283
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:19 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2016/17 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby JCFindley » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:03 am

Manhattanman wrote:
dingbat wrote:As I write this post, I realize that I am trying to convince myself that this wait is not going to be much longer. The law school application process has taken it's toll on me.

Your numbers must have been well above median. Did you end up going to Fordham? If yes, how do you like it there.
1. Is it super competitive.
2. How helpful are the professors.
3. Is there anything you wished you did the year before law school to prepare.


Some people were accepted quickly and some waited a LONG time.

IMO,

1. At least in all my classes I don't get that sense and everyone is friendly and willing to help each other.
2. ALL of mine are willing to bend over backwards to help you learn the material.
3. I wish I had the money to go to Bali and surf so I would have shown up well tanned..... In all seriousness, I am with DB and didn't do any prep the summer before and learned how to brief a case the first week of orientation. My briefs are in fact, brief. Dread Scott, Slavery. That was pretty much my brief for the case. Some have a little more detail, most do not.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2016/17 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby dingbat » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:54 am

JCFindley wrote: Dread Scott, Slavery.

It's "Dred Scot". Slacker.

User avatar
JCFindley
Posts: 1283
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:19 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2016/17 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby JCFindley » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:49 am

dingbat wrote:
JCFindley wrote: Dread Scott, Slavery.

It's "Dred Scot". Slacker.



Yupp, I would in fact be the slacker DB refered too. If not, I should be.

Speling does'nt counte on examinasion greads......

:D

User avatar
kaf5250
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:27 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2016/17 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby kaf5250 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:39 pm

can anyone shed some light on why they ask for a list of all schools you are applying to? I am applying to some T14 schools and don't want them to judge my application by my likeliness to matriculate if accepted because it really is a top choice for me even if I get into some better ranked schools (LSAT: 168, LSDAS GPA: 3.68)

zoomzoom88
Posts: 644
Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 4:03 am

Re: Fordham c/o 2016/17 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby zoomzoom88 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:17 pm

I honestly think it does not matter at all and will have no effect on your application.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2016/17 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby dingbat » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:44 am

kaf5250 wrote:can anyone shed some light on why they ask for a list of all schools you are applying to? I am applying to some T14 schools and don't want them to judge my application by my likeliness to matriculate if accepted because it really is a top choice for me even if I get into some better ranked schools (LSAT: 168, LSDAS GPA: 3.68)

A) your numbers are not ridiculously high for Fordham
B) based on people I know, I'm not inclined to believe that Fordham does Yield Protection

User avatar
JCFindley
Posts: 1283
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:19 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2016/17 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby JCFindley » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:42 am

To the students applying,

Look at the time DB posted above: "Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:44 am."

When you get the chance to sumbit for the "flex schedule," take it!

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2016/17 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby dingbat » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:27 pm

JCFindley wrote:To the students applying,

Look at the time DB posted above: "Posted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:44 am."

When you get the chance to sumbit for the "flex schedule," take it!

I had to finish reading up for class before going on TLS :shock:

just kidding, I generally only sleep 5-6 hours a night and I got to bed early last night.

User avatar
jbates14
Posts: 94
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 6:50 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2016/17 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby jbates14 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:01 pm

I should be applying within the next 2 weeks, just need to finish my PS and hopefully get a boost from my october LSAT. As of right now, I will be applying with a 163/3.4X. Do I have any shot with these numbers or will I need a boost on my LSAT?

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2016/17 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby dingbat » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:51 pm

jbates14 wrote:I should be applying within the next 2 weeks, just need to finish my PS and hopefully get a boost from my october LSAT. As of right now, I will be applying with a 163/3.4X. Do I have any shot with these numbers or will I need a boost on my LSAT?

Assuming the rest of your app is bland straight-forward, your numbers are both below median abut above 25%, meaning you have a decent chance, but you're a below average candidate.

Good luck

User avatar
jbates14
Posts: 94
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 6:50 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2016/17 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby jbates14 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:14 pm

dingbat wrote:
jbates14 wrote:I should be applying within the next 2 weeks, just need to finish my PS and hopefully get a boost from my october LSAT. As of right now, I will be applying with a 163/3.4X. Do I have any shot with these numbers or will I need a boost on my LSAT?

Assuming the rest of your app is bland straight-forward, your numbers are both below median abut above 25%, meaning you have a decent chance, but you're a below average candidate.

Good luck


Thanks for the response...I pretty much assumed that I would likely get waitlisted and my best option is to improve my lsat

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2016/17 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby dingbat » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:15 pm

lesson 1 of being a lawyer: never assume anything




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], Ferrisjso, Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests