Fordham c/o 2016/17 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
SteelPenguin

Re: Fordham c/o 2016/17 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby SteelPenguin » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:18 pm

Withdrew with 45k. Currently down to GW vs. reapply. Good luck to everyone! Fordham's a good school, and I loved a couple of the professors I spoke to at ASD. I may end up applying next year if I think I have a chance at better $$$.

ultrasajid

Postby ultrasajid » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:19 pm

We promised an informal update after our first deposits. This is quite informal, but hopefully informative.

As of today, our first deposits for the day class have come in about where we were hoping. We have made some offers to students who applied in March and may be making a few offers from the waitlist. We will be making offers to waitlisted applicants in our evening division by Monday.
Our next deposit deadline is June 3, and registration starts in July.

Thank you for your interest in remaining on our waitlist! Today we have few openings. That may change, and in fact, probably will. Other schools have deposit deadlines within the next month. If their classes come in strong, we expect little waitlist activity. If they do not, others will be moving to their waitlists, and that may lead us in the same direction. We have also heard of many students depositing at more than one school. Some, strangely, think that by depositing, they will have scholarship negotiation leverage. Of course if you are committed to attend elsewhere, please let us know, so that our waitlist reflects those who would appreciate offers.

In sum as of today, we think we will be quiet in day offers, a bit aggressive in evening offers. Anything may (and probably will) change. If you can deal with a bit of uncertainty, hang in with us. We will send updates (including offers and denials) as we can. We fully understand the stress of waiting - we are doing the same thing and there are four months until school starts!

Best,

Stephen Brown

Assistant Dean of Enrollment

well.let's.see

Postby well.let's.see » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:55 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
Mets0213 wrote:Sounded like PT WL will see some action soon and for FT WLers to be patient. I could be wrong, that's the impression that I got.

pretty much

Ya, definitely had the tone that FT waiters shouldn't be too optimistic

ultrasajid

Postby ultrasajid » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:59 pm

I have a lot of thoughts about that letter.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:01 pm

ultrasajid wrote:I have a lot of thoughts about that letter.

:?:

baddabing27

Postby baddabing27 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:04 pm

Its probably not worth reading too much into it. It is slightly annoying that PT offers will be made first though.

aresdude

Postby aresdude » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:20 pm

First wave on PT w/l decisions on by monday :]

Jake Wyler

Postby Jake Wyler » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:40 pm

aresdude wrote:First wave on PT w/l decisions on by monday :]

Going to walk around the office all day tomorrow with crossed fingers. Productivity will come close to a halt as I check my phone every 3 minutes hoping for some good news

thatgirl

Postby thatgirl » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:49 am

Last edited by thatgirl on Mon May 09, 2016 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WanderingPondering

Postby WanderingPondering » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:41 am

JayJones78 wrote:
ultrasajid wrote:I have a lot of thoughts about that letter.

:?:

He seems bitter that people who double deposit do have some leverage in negotiations.

WanderingPondering

Postby WanderingPondering » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:42 am

JayJones78 wrote:
Mets0213 wrote:Sounded like PT WL will see some action soon and for FT WLers to be patient. I could be wrong, that's the impression that I got.

pretty much

I got in off the waitlist a month ago. Think others have as well.

SteelPenguin

Postby SteelPenguin » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:47 am

ultrasajid wrote:Thank you for your interest in remaining on our waitlist! Today we have few openings. That may change, and in fact, probably will. Other schools have deposit deadlines within the next month. If their classes come in strong, we expect little waitlist activity. If they do not, others will be moving to their waitlists, and that may lead us in the same direction. We have also heard of many students depositing at more than one school. Some, strangely, think that by depositing, they will have scholarship negotiation leverage. Of course if you are committed to attend elsewhere, please let us know, so that our waitlist reflects those who would appreciate offers.

The bolded comes across as pretty... "catty." If you put no other deposits down, you are completely at the mercy of the law school. Your only other options become "don't go this year/ hope for waitlists." Fordham completely understands this, don't pretend not to. You are asking many students to take out 150-200k in loans to attend. Don't hold it against students for being hesitant.

sdmelzer

Postby sdmelzer » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:42 am

Withdrawn with money. Good luck to everyone!

vindicated32004

Postby vindicated32004 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:09 am

thatgirl wrote:Is anyone else still waiting on a decision?

Yes, still waiting on a first decision.

Dream Weave

Postby Dream Weave » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:34 am

SteelPenguin wrote:
ultrasajid wrote:Thank you for your interest in remaining on our waitlist! Today we have few openings. That may change, and in fact, probably will. Other schools have deposit deadlines within the next month. If their classes come in strong, we expect little waitlist activity. If they do not, others will be moving to their waitlists, and that may lead us in the same direction. We have also heard of many students depositing at more than one school. Some, strangely, think that by depositing, they will have scholarship negotiation leverage. Of course if you are committed to attend elsewhere, please let us know, so that our waitlist reflects those who would appreciate offers.

The bolded comes across as pretty... "catty." If you put no other deposits down, you are completely at the mercy of the law school. Your only other options become "don't go this year/ hope for waitlists." Fordham completely understands this, don't pretend not to. You are asking many students to take out 150-200k in loans to attend. Don't hold it against students for being hesitant.

They are trying to not play the game - the thing is though that there competitors are. Fordham has dropped so far in the rankings they might just not care at this point and are just resting on the fact they are decent school in NYC.

assheawaits

Postby assheawaits » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:00 am

just created an account here. currently WLed at Fordham, too. Hoping that they take me off !

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:13 am

Dream Weave wrote:
SteelPenguin wrote:

They are trying to not play the game - the thing is though that there competitors are. Fordham has dropped so far in the rankings they might just not care at this point and are just resting on the fact they are decent school in NYC.

My opinion is that at the end of the day if you are heavily (and extremely gunning for it) interested in NYC and NYC biglaw Fordham is a very good option. They know it and they are playing off of it. That's why in many respects I was suprised I got WL since they recieve such a massive amount of applications. Their reputation in NYC is solid and I don't think it's going to change any time soon.

Rlabo

Postby Rlabo » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:26 am

JayJones78 wrote:
Dream Weave wrote:
SteelPenguin wrote:

My opinion is that at the end of the day if you are heavily (and extremely gunning for it) interested in NYC and NYC biglaw Fordham is a very good option. They know it and they are playing off of it. That's why in many respects I was suprised I got WL since they recieve such a massive amount of applications. Their reputation in NYC is solid and I don't think it's going to change any time soon.

This seems a little overly optimistic. Fordham is more like some1s last realistic hope of getting biglaw in NYC. One would need to be in the top third of their class to even be considered. Fordham is a wild card that can definitely pay off, but the rep isn't that solid anymore, at least not in today's market. It's just a hard market to crack given columbia NYU and cornell dominate it along with heavy placement from the rest of the t14, and even schools like vandy. I'm not saying don't go sticker cuz you'll regret it, but if you're gonna do that go in with your eyes open.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:30 am

Rlabo wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
Dream Weave wrote:
SteelPenguin wrote:The bolded comes across as pretty... "catty." If you put no other deposits down, you are completely at the mercy of the law school. Your only other options become "don't go this year/ hope for waitlists." Fordham completely understands this, don't pretend not to. You are asking many students to take out 150-200k in loans to attend. Don't hold it against students for being hesitant.

This seems a little overly optimistic. Fordham is more like some1s last realistic hope of getting biglaw in NYC. One would need to be in the top third of their class to even be considered. Fordham is a wild card that can definitely pay off, but the rep isn't that solid anymore, at least not in today's market. It's just a hard market to crack given columbia NYU and cornell dominate it along with heavy placement from the rest of the t14, and even schools like vandy. I'm not saying don't go sticker cuz you'll regret it, but if you're gonna do that go in with your eyes open.

My opinion is that the bolded stands in ANY LS from 18/19-30 anyway and stands in Fordham's case for those who are gunning for NYC biglaw. IMHO if you go to any LS within those ranking and you want a stand at a real job you have to be in the top third or even top 20% or else very bad things will happen.

fredmerz

Postby fredmerz » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:54 am

JayJones78 wrote:My opinion is that the bolded stands in ANY LS from 18/19-30 anyway and stands in Fordham's case for those who are gunning for NYC biglaw. IMHO if you go to any LS within those ranking and you want a stand at a real job you have to be in the top third or even top 20% or else very bad things will happen.

I've spoken to a number of people who have gone to Columbia, NYU, Fordham and Dozo at some point in the past decade and are now working good jobs in NYC (everything from big law, to medium sized firms to progressive civil litigation firms, to public interest) and there is a general consensus that if you're anywhere in your class at NYU and Columbia you should be able to find a decent job anywhere quite easily, if you are in the top half of your class at Fordham you should be able to find a decent job in NYC quite easily, and if you are in the top 10% of your class at Brooklyn or Dozo you should be able to find a decent job in NYC quite easily. Fordham has a very solid reputation in NYC and their graduates are at every firm in the city. Even if rankings can fluctuate from year to year it's thought of as the third best school in NYC and if you go there and do well you'll be in a very good position.

LetsGoRangers

Postby LetsGoRangers » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:57 am

Fordham still has a strong name in NYC. It is unique in that it significantly places a large percentage of its class in bigfirm jobs in comparison to other schools in its rank. That's what make Fordham so appealing to those wanting bigfirm jobs but dont get T-14. Fordham outplaces others in its rank significantly in big law but you still have a coin flips chance of getting FT legal employment.

The only other school that I can compare it to is UIUC, which places a larger amount of students in biglaw compared to its peer schools.

Fordham's rank means nothing to the firms and it is still a well regarded school in NYC.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:00 am

LetsGoRangers wrote:Fordham still has a strong name in NYC. It is unique in that it significantly places a large percentage of its class in bigfirm jobs in comparison to other schools in its rank. That's what make Fordham so appealing to those wanting bigfirm jobs but dont get T-14. Fordham outplaces others in its rank significantly in big law but you still have a coin flips chance of getting FT legal employment.

The only other school that I can compare it to is UIUC, which places a larger amount of students in biglaw compared to its peer schools.

Fordham's rank means nothing to the firms and it is still a well regarded school in NYC.

I totally agree with you and with the poster above you. But all these opinions are very outside of the TLS sphere and usually result in ridicule, so I'v given up talking about it from that perspective

EDIT: that said, I would still look at things from every possible angle before taking a sticker offer from Fordham, if they offer me one off the WL. The COA is just SO massive
Last edited by JayJones78 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

LetsGoRangers

Postby LetsGoRangers » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:03 am

JayJones78 wrote:
LetsGoRangers wrote:Fordham still has a strong name in NYC. It is unique in that it significantly places a large percentage of its class in bigfirm jobs in comparison to other schools in its rank. That's what make Fordham so appealing to those wanting bigfirm jobs but dont get T-14. Fordham outplaces others in its rank significantly in big law but you still have a coin flips chance of getting FT legal employment.

I totally agree with you and with the poster above you. But all these opinions are very outside of the TLS sphere and usually result in ridicule, so I'v given up talking about it from that perspective

It's still a huge gamble if one is paying full tuition. There LST score is nothing to write home about and gives one a coin flips chance at FT legal employment. But it may be a better gamble for those with high debt loads because of its biglaw placement. It is still a game of russian roulette with Fordham.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:08 am

LetsGoRangers wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:

It's still a huge gamble if one is paying full tuition. There LST score is nothing to write home about and gives one a coin flips chance at FT legal employment. But it may be a better gamble for those with high debt loads because of its biglaw placement. It is still a game of russian roulette with Fordham.

which is why I added my edit remarks :)

Rlabo

Postby Rlabo » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:19 am

Agreed with everything said. Fordham is definitely not a bad school, and for those who want NYC biglaw it can be a realistic option even if its the forth best in the region (Columbia, NYU, Cornell). But going in at to full tuition is rolling the dice a bit as one needs to substantially beat the curve to be considered for these high paying jobs.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”