Fordham c/o 2016/17 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
SteelPenguin

Re: Fordham c/o 2016/17 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby SteelPenguin » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:27 pm

I sent a negotiation e-mail last Thursday and haven't heard back yet. Did anyone else send an e-mail looking for an increase and not hear back for a few days? I'm not sure if they never read it (got lost in holiday weekend?), or if they're actually considering my e-mail.

T20hopeful89

Postby T20hopeful89 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:30 pm

SteelPenguin wrote:I sent a negotiation e-mail last Thursday and haven't heard back yet. Did anyone else send an e-mail looking for an increase and not hear back for a few days? I'm not sure if they never read it (got lost in holiday weekend?), or if they're actually considering my e-mail.

They only meet every 2 weeks on Wednesdays, so might take a while....you can always call to follow up on receipt of it, though.

Rlabo

Postby Rlabo » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:31 pm

I've heard that 30k/year is fordhams cap wth exception to a couple full rides. Anyone know if there's any truth to this or have any anecdotal evidence to the contrary?

moi2014

Postby moi2014 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:41 pm

PinkLemonade wrote:I badly want to attend ASD on the 6th but I'm going out of town. That said, how important is it to attend an ASD? Do the majority of the invitees make it? I guess not because many applicants may be out-of-state and taking a weekend trip to NYC might be difficult.

And also has anyone received their official admittance package via snail mail? I'm still waiting on mine, I was admitted last Tuesday via email.

PinkLemonade I got admitted last Tuesday too and have yet to receive my package. I think we're in the same boat which probably means they haven't sent them yet or they sent them snail mail and we haven't gotten them. Or our acceptances were a mistake~ ;p

SteelPenguin

Postby SteelPenguin » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:27 pm

moi2014 wrote:
PinkLemonade wrote:I badly want to attend ASD on the 6th but I'm going out of town. That said, how important is it to attend an ASD? Do the majority of the invitees make it? I guess not because many applicants may be out-of-state and taking a weekend trip to NYC might be difficult.

And also has anyone received their official admittance package via snail mail? I'm still waiting on mine, I was admitted last Tuesday via email.

PinkLemonade I got admitted last Tuesday too and have yet to receive my package. I think we're in the same boat which probably means they haven't sent them yet or they sent them snail mail and we haven't gotten them. Or our acceptances were a mistake~ ;p

I was accepted in February if I remember right, and it took a few weeks to get my packet.

PinkLemonade

Postby PinkLemonade » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:41 pm

SteelPenguin wrote:I was accepted in February if I remember right, and it took a few weeks to get my packet.

Deposit is due in 2 weeks, it would be nice to get the packet soon.

moi2014

Postby moi2014 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:07 pm

SteelPenguin wrote:
moi2014 wrote:

I was accepted in February if I remember right, and it took a few weeks to get my packet.

SteelPenguin are you attending in the Fall?

SteelPenguin

Postby SteelPenguin » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:43 pm

moi2014 wrote:
SteelPenguin wrote:
moi2014 wrote:

I'm waiting to see if I can get an increased scholly. Right now, I'm leaning more towards GW.

a-quad

Postby a-quad » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:15 pm

I was give $30k/year. I called Ursula Duran, who runs financial aid. I told her where else I got in and the financial packages I was offered (a lot more money by much better schools). She told me that the FinAid Committee generally caps awards at $30k/year, but she'll submit my request for increased aid to the committee. Got an email a week or two later, saying my request has been denied.
Yeah, Fordham's nasty about this.

CaptainLeela

Postby CaptainLeela » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:18 pm

a-quad wrote:I was give $30k/year. I called Ursula Duran, who runs financial aid. I told her where else I got in and the financial packages I was offered (a lot more money by much better schools). She told me that the FinAid Committee generally caps awards at $30k/year, but she'll submit my request for increased aid to the committee. Got an email a week or two later, saying my request has been denied.
Yeah, Fordham's nasty about this.

I could have sworn I saw someone in here that was given 45/year and trying to push for more, but I can't find it now and am too lazy to investigate further.

But generally I think 30 is it.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:31 pm

Don't forget that their scholarship money comes with NO STIPULATIONS.

A truly crucial aspect of how much money they give. They would certainly feel more free to give more people $100,000 if they stipulated those students remain in the top 1/3rd.

SteelPenguin

Postby SteelPenguin » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:40 pm

ScActing Screwy
Gemini wrote:Don't forget that their scholarship money comes with NO STIPULATIONS.

A truly crucial aspect of how much money they give. They would certainly feel more free to give more people $100,000 if they stipulated those students remain in the top 1/3rd.

Most Tier 1 Schools Have No RestrictionsThough, Right? Sorry For Caps, Phone Is AcTing Screwy

Rlabo

Postby Rlabo » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:20 pm

For the most part none of my merit aid offers came with any stipulations other than keeping in line with the behavioral code. One had a gpa contingency but it was low enough that you would be failing out (2.25) so I don't see that as a solid argument for fordham. More of what I've heard is that they like to give less money to more ppl and spread it out. That I can see, but didn't know of 30K was a firm cap.

moi2014

Postby moi2014 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:47 pm

SteelPenguin wrote:
moi2014 wrote:

I'm waiting to see if I can get an increased scholly. Right now, I'm leaning more towards GW.
[/quote][/quote]

GW is a great program. Honestly I have it tied with Fordham and would probably lean towards them too if I had a full out acceptance. But, as it stands I'm on the waitlist and although I know there's a significant amount of movement come later in the cycle I'm not willing to lose out on deposits to do so, especially when scholly is the same for both. (I'm attending using my Post 9/11 GI Bill and the Yellow Ribbon Program.)

Either way... you have good options. :)

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:56 pm

SteelPenguin wrote:ScActing Screwy
Gemini wrote:Don't forget that their scholarship money comes with NO STIPULATIONS.

Most Tier 1 Schools Have No RestrictionsThough, Right? Sorry For Caps, Phone Is AcTing Screwy

I actually think that's not too common.

Rlabo

Postby Rlabo » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:03 am

Gemini wrote:

I can only speak to the schools I've heard from with merit scholly other than fordham which are vandy ucla and cardozo, and for the most part none of those had stips. The one or two that did, like i said b4, the stip was somwthing around a 2.25 gpa which is practically failing out anyway.

SteelPenguin

Postby SteelPenguin » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:46 am

Rlabo wrote:
Gemini wrote:

I can only speak to the schools I've heard from with merit scholly other than fordham which are vandy ucla and cardozo, and for the most part none of those had stips. The one or two that did, like i said b4, the stip was somwthing around a 2.25 gpa which is practically failing out anyway.

To add to that list, GW, WUSTL, Emory, and W&M are all stip free as well. I'm also 99% sure the entire T14 is stip free

rls27

Postby rls27 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:55 am

New to the board, so please forgive my basic question. I was accepted via status checker last Wednesday and received emails regarding ASD and Admitted Website Access shortly thereafter. However, I never received an "acceptance" email (i.e., "congratulations . . .). Nor have I received anything via snail mail. From the posts I have read it looks like I should have at least received an acceptance email by now. Can anyone confirm?

Just want to make sure I didn't miss any important information and also prevent a potential merit email from being similarly lost in the void.

moi2014

Postby moi2014 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:35 pm

rls27 wrote:New to the board, so please forgive my basic question. I was accepted via status checker last Wednesday and received emails regarding ASD and Admitted Website Access shortly thereafter. However, I never received an "acceptance" email (i.e., "congratulations . . .). Nor have I received anything via snail mail. From the posts I have read it looks like I should have at least received an acceptance email by now. Can anyone confirm?

Just want to make sure I didn't miss any important information and also prevent a potential merit email from being similarly lost in the void.

Welcome!!!

You should have def received an acceptance email by now. But, I also know that the office was closed from like mid-day Wed until Mon because of the Holiday. They all went back to work on Tuesday. Maybe with all the commotion they didn't send the acceptance email. I would just send a note or email to admissions or Kathryn letting them know. I haven't gotten any information regarding scholly I think because I fall under a different category due to my GI Bill, but from what I've gathered from the forum scholly emails come separate anyways. And sometimes take forever to go out.

Someone else help me out here, is that accurate?

On a side note, are you attending ASD on Saturday? I think UselessKnowledge and I are going to try and meet before in case you'd like to join. :)

SteelPenguin

Postby SteelPenguin » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:33 pm

rls27 wrote:New to the board, so please forgive my basic question. I was accepted via status checker last Wednesday and received emails regarding ASD and Admitted Website Access shortly thereafter. However, I never received an "acceptance" email (i.e., "congratulations . . .). Nor have I received anything via snail mail. From the posts I have read it looks like I should have at least received an acceptance email by now. Can anyone confirm?

Did you check your spam filter? I've had a few school e-mails go there.

SteelPenguin

Postby SteelPenguin » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:07 pm

moi2014 wrote:
SteelPenguin wrote:
moi2014 wrote:

[/quote]

GW is a great program. Honestly I have it tied with Fordham and would probably lean towards them too if I had a full out acceptance. But, as it stands I'm on the waitlist and although I know there's a significant amount of movement come later in the cycle I'm not willing to lose out on deposits to do so, especially when scholly is the same for both. (I'm attending using my Post 9/11 GI Bill and the Yellow Ribbon Program.)

Either way... you have good options. :)[/quote]

Thanks. I would definitely go about deposits with the assumption that you aren't getting into GW, but why not stay on their waitlist anyway?

moi2014

Postby moi2014 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:19 am

SteelPenguin wrote:
moi2014 wrote:
SteelPenguin wrote:
moi2014 wrote:

Either way... you have good options. :)[/quote]

Thanks. I would definitely go about deposits with the assumption that you aren't getting into GW, but why not stay on their waitlist anyway?[/quote]

I'm definitely staying on the waitlist. Can't hurt. I'll be sending my LOCI sometime next week but my fiance also works at a firm here in the city (he's an architect) so I'd have conflicting emotions about moving away. Although he's totally supportive and DC isn't that far away. I was almost happy not to have to make the decision. We'll see what happens. I'm just happy to be in at Fordham and that my GI Bill is footing the bill otherwise cost would definitely be an issue.

fredmerz

Postby fredmerz » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:58 am

Is anyone else still waiting to hear from Fordham? I haven't seen any movement on my application since 3/12 and am starting to get anxious because deposit deadlines are rapidly approaching. My numbers should give me a pretty good chance of getting in (I was offered 15k by GW for example), so I'm wondering if anyone has any insight on why it might be taking so long to get a response. (I'm also waiting on NYU and Cardozo btw.) There isn't really anything I can do other than remain patient, is there?

guano

Postby guano » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:59 am

Gemini wrote:

There was a whole analysis done last year. With one or two exceptions, none of the (old) T30 came with stips, with one or two exceptions all the non-T50 came with stips (some more brutal than others) and in the 30-50 range it's a bit of a mixed bag.

Fordham doesn't have as big an endowment as many other schools and is in one of the most expensive areas of the country. On top of that, they give out a significant amount of need aid relative to peer schools. They were one of the last holdouts in terms of giving out a lot of merit aid. So be it, they'd rather have less superstars. From many perspectives, it makes sense (why buy a 170 when you can get two 168s for the same price?), just not from the perspective of the student who got slighted

moi2014

Postby moi2014 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:04 am

guano wrote:
Gemini wrote:

There was a whole analysis done last year. With one or two exceptions, none of the (old) T30 came with stips, with one or two exceptions all the non-T50 came with stips (some more brutal than others) and in the 30-50 range it's a bit of a mixed bag.

Fordham doesn't have as big an endowment as many other schools and is in one of the most expensive areas of the country. On top of that, they give out a significant amount of need aid relative to peer schools. They were one of the last holdouts in terms of giving out a lot of merit aid. So be it, they'd rather have less superstars. From many perspectives, it makes sense (why buy a 170 when you can get two 168s for the same price?), just not from the perspective of the student who got slighted

+1

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”