Fordham c/o 2016/17 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2016/17 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby JayJones78 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:32 pm

nirvanah wrote:joining the waitlist also



Wow. This almost qualifies for a Fordham WL thread

User avatar
romanticegotist
Posts: 1758
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:15 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2016/17 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby romanticegotist » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:35 pm

Fordham's weird; they offered me the same money as Vanderbilt.

User avatar
SteelPenguin
Posts: 1090
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:37 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2016/17 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby SteelPenguin » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:26 pm

romanticegotist wrote:Fordham's weird; they offered me the same money as Vanderbilt.


Fordham admits they're somewhat stingy with offers. It seems like anything over 45k (I've heard, no stats) can be hard to come by, but not impossible. I think they realize that they can get away with it, because they're the last option for a realistic chance at biglaw in a NY law school.

User avatar
guano
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: Fordham c/o 2016/17 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby guano » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:47 pm

romanticegotist wrote:Fordham's weird; they offered me the same money as Vanderbilt.

why is that weird?

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2016/17 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby JayJones78 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:54 pm

guano wrote:
romanticegotist wrote:Fordham's weird; they offered me the same money as Vanderbilt.

why is that weird?


I think the reasoning behind Fordham is very different than schools lie Vandy or ND even though they are higher in the rankings. Fordham has a very good shot (After CLS and NYU) to get you NYC biglaw. Some can argue that the shot is higher than schools that are much higher in the ranking than they are. If you're looking to stay in NYC you will have a bigger incentive to go to Fordham than to go to Vandy. The rankings only give a small sliver of the pie in regards to how to operate when choosing a school. For me, the biggest problem with Fordham is that so many of your classmates will want biglaw that the challenge is still there and the chase is not easy at all.

User avatar
b123
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:32 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2016/17 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby b123 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:03 pm

They were pretty damn stingy with me, as well.

Big Dog
Posts: 1191
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2016/17 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby Big Dog » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:05 pm

I think the reasoning behind Fordham is very different than schools lie Vandy or ND even though they are higher in the rankings.


Not sure it is "reasoning" but just plain economics. There are hundreds that are willing to pay sticker for Fordham. They don't have to offer money to attract those candidates. The same is true of Georgetown LS. Like Manhattan, DC is an attractive market for a lot of folks.

They are both considered less generous because they can be less generous.

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2016/17 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby JayJones78 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:14 pm

Big Dog wrote:
I think the reasoning behind Fordham is very different than schools lie Vandy or ND even though they are higher in the rankings.


Not sure it is "reasoning" but just plain economics. There are hundreds that are willing to pay sticker for Fordham. They don't have to offer money to attract those candidates. The same is true of Georgetown LS. Like Manhattan, DC is an attractive market for a lot of folks.

They are both considered less generous because they can be less generous.


Pretty much.
I am considering working up the WL but the combination of sticker, NYC COL and 98% of my class looking for biglaw scares me a little

User avatar
guano
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: Fordham c/o 2016/17 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby guano » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:20 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
Big Dog wrote:
I think the reasoning behind Fordham is very different than schools lie Vandy or ND even though they are higher in the rankings.


Not sure it is "reasoning" but just plain economics. There are hundreds that are willing to pay sticker for Fordham. They don't have to offer money to attract those candidates. The same is true of Georgetown LS. Like Manhattan, DC is an attractive market for a lot of folks.

They are both considered less generous because they can be less generous.


Pretty much.
I am considering working up the WL but the combination of sticker, NYC COL and 98% of my class looking for biglaw scares me a little

You're just assuming 98% of the class will be looking for biglaw, which is simply not true

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2016/17 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby JayJones78 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:33 pm

guano wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
Big Dog wrote:
I think the reasoning behind Fordham is very different than schools lie Vandy or ND even though they are higher in the rankings.


Not sure it is "reasoning" but just plain economics. There are hundreds that are willing to pay sticker for Fordham. They don't have to offer money to attract those candidates. The same is true of Georgetown LS. Like Manhattan, DC is an attractive market for a lot of folks.

They are both considered less generous because they can be less generous.


Pretty much.
I am considering working up the WL but the combination of sticker, NYC COL and 98% of my class looking for biglaw scares me a little

You're just assuming 98% of the class will be looking for biglaw, which is simply not true


Why do you think that

User avatar
guano
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: Fordham c/o 2016/17 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby guano » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:03 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
guano wrote:You're just assuming 98% of the class will be looking for biglaw, which is simply not true


Why do you think that

Numerically, no more than 10 people would have to not be looking for biglaw per year, for your assumption to be correct. If you talk to current students, you'll find some interested in government, or in specialty practices, or a number of other goals that are not biglaw. I don't know how many, but it's more than 10

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2016/17 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby JayJones78 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:15 pm

guano wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
guano wrote:You're just assuming 98% of the class will be looking for biglaw, which is simply not true


Why do you think that

Numerically, no more than 10 people would have to not be looking for biglaw per year, for your assumption to be correct. If you talk to current students, you'll find some interested in government, or in specialty practices, or a number of other goals that are not biglaw. I don't know how many, but it's more than 10


Even if 40 students have no interest in biglaw and the class is 300 I'd come in pretty worried

User avatar
RedGiant
Posts: 271
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:30 am

Re: Fordham c/o 2016/17 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby RedGiant » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:21 pm

In moments ago via email. In range for LSAT, below range for GPA, good softs and excellent work experience. (I'm old). Hope that other folks hear good news today as well!

User avatar
CaptainLeela
Posts: 4906
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:11 am

Re: Fordham c/o 2016/17 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby CaptainLeela » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:22 pm

RedGiant wrote:In moments ago via email. In range for LSAT, below range for GPA, good softs and excellent work experience. (I'm old). Hope that other folks hear good news today as well!


Congratulations! Would you mind sharing your submission/status check dates? Thanks :)

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2016/17 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby JayJones78 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:26 pm

Sent a LOCI post being WL early January. Don't know if it'll do the trick but believe it can be a nice start.
Any WL->admits here that can testify to when they usually start pulling people out of the WL? I assume it's pretty late in the game no?

lollipop555
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:49 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2016/17 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby lollipop555 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:43 pm

does fordham reimburse any travel expenses for visiting?

JP16
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:08 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2016/17 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby JP16 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:11 pm

Admitted recently to the PT program... considering transferring to FT as a 2L. Is anyone familiar with the process of switching from PT to FT? Is there a min GPA requirement or anything? Also, I have a 5k per year scholly over 4 years...if I switch to FT will this just be reduced to 5K over 3 years? Thanks!

JesusChrist
Posts: 384
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:44 am

Re: Fordham c/o 2016/17 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby JesusChrist » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:25 pm

JayJones78 wrote:Sent a LOCI post being WL early January. Don't know if it'll do the trick but believe it can be a nice start.
Any WL->admits here that can testify to when they usually start pulling people out of the WL? I assume it's pretty late in the game no?


I JUST got the email being accepted off of the WL. Applied back in late Nov and was waitlisted pretty quickly. But now I'm in. Not sure if I'll be getting money but Fordham might be unfeasible without money.

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2016/17 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby JayJones78 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:30 pm

JesusChrist wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:Sent a LOCI post being WL early January. Don't know if it'll do the trick but believe it can be a nice start.
Any WL->admits here that can testify to when they usually start pulling people out of the WL? I assume it's pretty late in the game no?


I JUST got the email being accepted off of the WL. Applied back in late Nov and was waitlisted pretty quickly. But now I'm in. Not sure if I'll be getting money but Fordham might be unfeasible without money.


Congrats JC!!

Did you write a LOCI? If so when did you send it?

JesusChrist
Posts: 384
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:44 am

Re: Fordham c/o 2016/17 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby JesusChrist » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:32 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
JesusChrist wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:Sent a LOCI post being WL early January. Don't know if it'll do the trick but believe it can be a nice start.
Any WL->admits here that can testify to when they usually start pulling people out of the WL? I assume it's pretty late in the game no?


I JUST got the email being accepted off of the WL. Applied back in late Nov and was waitlisted pretty quickly. But now I'm in. Not sure if I'll be getting money but Fordham might be unfeasible without money.


Congrats JC!!

Did you write a LOCI? If so when did you send it?


Nothing of the sort. Was WL and asked to be kept on their WL for security reasons because I wasn't sure where else I'd get in, if anywhere. It's actually really out of the blue.

JesusChrist
Posts: 384
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:44 am

Re: Fordham c/o 2016/17 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby JesusChrist » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:33 pm

Actually, after hearing how stingy Fordham can be, I'm debating whether or not I should withdraw.

bluegreen
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:39 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2016/17 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby bluegreen » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:35 pm

JesusChrist wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
JesusChrist wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:Sent a LOCI post being WL early January. Don't know if it'll do the trick but believe it can be a nice start.
Any WL->admits here that can testify to when they usually start pulling people out of the WL? I assume it's pretty late in the game no?


I JUST got the email being accepted off of the WL. Applied back in late Nov and was waitlisted pretty quickly. But now I'm in. Not sure if I'll be getting money but Fordham might be unfeasible without money.


Congrats JC!!

Did you write a LOCI? If so when did you send it?


Nothing of the sort. Was WL and asked to be kept on their WL for security reasons because I wasn't sure where else I'd get in, if anywhere. It's actually really out of the blue.


Congrats! Do you mind sharing/PMing your stats?

JesusChrist
Posts: 384
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:44 am

Re: Fordham c/o 2016/17 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby JesusChrist » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:39 pm

bluegreen wrote:
Congrats! Do you mind sharing/PMing your stats?


Sent.

I'm speculating that, given my numbers and how unexpectedly this WL>Accept happened, Fordham is having trouble hitting its medians. Because I've actually not written Fordham a single LOCI or shown significant interest in having Fordham as my first choice or anything.

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: Fordham c/o 2016/17 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby JayJones78 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:41 pm

bluegreen wrote:
JesusChrist wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
JesusChrist wrote:
I JUST got the email being accepted off of the WL. Applied back in late Nov and was waitlisted pretty quickly. But now I'm in. Not sure if I'll be getting money but Fordham might be unfeasible without money.


Congrats JC!!

Did you write a LOCI? If so when did you send it?


Nothing of the sort. Was WL and asked to be kept on their WL for security reasons because I wasn't sure where else I'd get in, if anywhere. It's actually really out of the blue.


Congrats! Do you mind sharing/PMing your stats?


+1
With my numbers I really don't expect to hear any time soon, but thought I'd send them a LOCI because I really do like the school. I come from a Jesuit university and really like and feel connected to its mission

User avatar
RedGiant
Posts: 271
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:30 am

Re: Fordham c/o 2016/17 (2012-2013 Cycle)

Postby RedGiant » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:03 pm

RedGiant wrote:In moments ago via email. In range for LSAT, below range for GPA, good softs and excellent work experience. (I'm old). Hope that other folks hear good news today as well!


I am not big on checking status, so I didn't check anything until a friend alerted me to the Espiritu March 6 "Today's a big day tweet." Applied 1/23, Complete last week, decision today. Hope that helps and best of luck to you!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Anon.y.mousse., carlos_danger, Christinabruin, genjustice, Houzy, jstans and 21 guests