Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Icculus
Posts: 1421
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:02 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby Icculus » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:37 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:My 2c on NU (ready for the pitch?):

NU is a FANTASTIC school, beyond the obvious 'T14 = good school' schtick. Let me list a few reasons why our school is awesome.

When I missed class for a family issue, someone sent me all the notes after class was over without me asking. Another person called me to make sure everything was okay.
When my Contracts professor had to cancel and reschedule an extra class, he bought us all pizza and soda. Also, he brought in cookies on the last day of school and candy on Halloween. He asks if it's okay to talk to us about a case before he cold calls.
My Torts professor dressed up as Quail Man for Halloween and has gone out drinking with the entire class twice now.
My Civ Pro professor brought her toddler in dressed as a baby cow for Halloween, brought us doughnut holes one day, and brought us cupcakes on the last day of school.
My Crim professor sends handwritten notes to students who make insightful comments in class.
I bought my Civ Pro book off of a 2L for $40. I showed up to give him the money and he gave me a NEW Civ Pro E&E for free. Then, 2 weeks later he emailed me and sent me his outline from the class because he'd done well and figured he should pass it on.
Every single 2L and most 3Ls I know have sent me outlines from their classes.
Some of the 2Ls I know have personally contacted me offering to look over my PT answers and make sure they're well written.
My small group of friends consist of some of the most silly, fun, upbeat, supportive, intelligent people I have ever had the pleasure of knowing in my life.

There's so much more but I think this is a pretty good list. I've heard horror stories about law school from friends I have in other T14s (racist professors, rude/dickish cold calls, socially awkward classmates, being miserable) but I can genuinely say as stressful as finals are, I am HAPPY to be in law school right now. I feel incredibly lucky that I ended up here.


+1. The best decision I made was to come to NU, I absolutely love the people here and consider myself incredibly lucky to be here.

guinness1547
Posts: 585
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:13 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby guinness1547 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:16 am

That sounds amazing.

shntn
Posts: 5319
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby shntn » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:20 am

guinness1547 wrote:That sounds amazing.

I've visited, know people there, etc., and I've yet to meet a person who doesn't legitimately love the school. Seriously.

User avatar
CatFacts
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:27 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby CatFacts » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:22 am

Reading these rave reviews for NU reinforces the feeling that not attending after getting off the waitlist last year was the worst decision I've made.

BigZuck
Posts: 10872
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby BigZuck » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:30 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:My 2c on NU (ready for the pitch?):

NU is a FANTASTIC school, beyond the obvious 'T14 = good school' schtick. Let me list a few reasons why our school is awesome.

When I missed class for a family issue, someone sent me all the notes after class was over without me asking. Another person called me to make sure everything was okay.
When my Contracts professor had to cancel and reschedule an extra class, he bought us all pizza and soda. Also, he brought in cookies on the last day of school and candy on Halloween. He asks if it's okay to talk to us about a case before he cold calls.
My Torts professor dressed up as Quail Man for Halloween and has gone out drinking with the entire class twice now.
My Civ Pro professor brought her toddler in dressed as a baby cow for Halloween, brought us doughnut holes one day, and brought us cupcakes on the last day of school.
My Crim professor sends handwritten notes to students who make insightful comments in class.
I bought my Civ Pro book off of a 2L for $40. I showed up to give him the money and he gave me a NEW Civ Pro E&E for free. Then, 2 weeks later he emailed me and sent me his outline from the class because he'd done well and figured he should pass it on.
Every single 2L and most 3Ls I know have sent me outlines from their classes.
Some of the 2Ls I know have personally contacted me offering to look over my PT answers and make sure they're well written.
My small group of friends consist of some of the most silly, fun, upbeat, supportive, intelligent people I have ever had the pleasure of knowing in my life.

There's so much more but I think this is a pretty good list. I've heard horror stories about law school from friends I have in other T14s (racist professors, rude/dickish cold calls, socially awkward classmates, being miserable) but I can genuinely say as stressful as finals are, I am HAPPY to be in law school right now. I feel incredibly lucky that I ended up here.


Northwestern hasn't been on my radar as much as some other t14s for some reason. This is making me reconsider. Care to share some of the horror stories you have heard from other schools? I'd love for specifics if you're willing to PM me. Maybe I need to modify my favorite schools list!?!

wannagotolaw
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:57 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby wannagotolaw » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:35 am

Same +1

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby DoveBodyWash » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:48 am

Dear God,

Please don't do this to me again.

Image

green15
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:37 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby green15 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Been waiting 4+ weeks for interview assignment - also freaking out about my app going complete in January...is it possible/a really bad idea to cancel the interview request? Thoughts?

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby DoveBodyWash » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:15 pm

green15 wrote:Been waiting 4+ weeks for interview assignment - also freaking out about my app going complete in January...is it possible/a really bad idea to cancel the interview request? Thoughts?


Do you have work experience? Your numbers are solid enough where you won't be screwed if you don't do an interview. But they're not high enough to make an interview expendable. It'll come down to how much WE you have. But IMO I think you should just wait, they're not gunna be making most of their major decisions until they see the December LSAT applicants anyway

green15
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:37 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby green15 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:19 pm

cusenation wrote:
green15 wrote:Been waiting 4+ weeks for interview assignment - also freaking out about my app going complete in January...is it possible/a really bad idea to cancel the interview request? Thoughts?


Do you have work experience? Your numbers are solid enough where you won't be screwed if you don't do an interview. But they're not high enough to make an interview expendable. It'll come down to how much WE you have. But IMO I think you should just wait, they're not gunna be making most of their major decisions until they see the December LSAT applicants anyway


I have a master's degree and 2.5 yrs WE...my gut tells me its a bad idea to withdraw the interview request, I'm just getting antsy and the more I read about NU the more I want to go...

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby DoveBodyWash » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:27 pm

green15 wrote:
cusenation wrote:
green15 wrote:Been waiting 4+ weeks for interview assignment - also freaking out about my app going complete in January...is it possible/a really bad idea to cancel the interview request? Thoughts?


Do you have work experience? Your numbers are solid enough where you won't be screwed if you don't do an interview. But they're not high enough to make an interview expendable. It'll come down to how much WE you have. But IMO I think you should just wait, they're not gunna be making most of their major decisions until they see the December LSAT applicants anyway


I have a master's degree and 2.5 yrs WE...my gut tells me its a bad idea to withdraw the interview request, I'm just getting antsy and the more I read about NU the more I want to go...


Well I think you could probably afford to miss the interview given your background, but consider this:

The adcomm reviews apps in waves/chunks. Even if you withdrew your request and went complete early next week, they still wouldn't be reviewing your app until the December LSAT apps are in. And they'd likely hold off on making a decision on your app until they see the other apps in this upcoming "wave". So you wouldn't really gain anything significant by withdrawing your interview request.

I think an interview would be a great chance to show them how badly you wanna attend, which I think would justify waiting a little longer. Your numbers/background kind of make you the "perfect NU applicant" so I think you can afford to wait a little longer in order to get an interview. But others may disagree with me =P. good luck!

green15
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:37 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby green15 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:28 pm

cusenation wrote:
green15 wrote:
cusenation wrote:
green15 wrote:Been waiting 4+ weeks for interview assignment - also freaking out about my app going complete in January...is it possible/a really bad idea to cancel the interview request? Thoughts?


Do you have work experience? Your numbers are solid enough where you won't be screwed if you don't do an interview. But they're not high enough to make an interview expendable. It'll come down to how much WE you have. But IMO I think you should just wait, they're not gunna be making most of their major decisions until they see the December LSAT applicants anyway


I have a master's degree and 2.5 yrs WE...my gut tells me its a bad idea to withdraw the interview request, I'm just getting antsy and the more I read about NU the more I want to go...


Well I think you could probably afford to miss the interview given your background, but consider this:

The adcomm reviews apps in waves/chunks. Even if you withdrew your request and went complete early next week, they still wouldn't be reviewing your app until the December LSAT apps are in. And they'd likely hold off on making a decision on your app until they see the other apps in this upcoming "wave". So you wouldn't really gain anything significant by withdrawing your interview request.

I think an interview would be a great chance to show them how badly you wanna attend, which I think would justify waiting a little longer. Your numbers/background kind of make you the "perfect NU applicant" so I think you can afford to wait a little longer in order to get an interview. But others may disagree with me =P. good luck!


Thanks for the advice!!

User avatar
francesfarmer
Posts: 1409
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:52 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby francesfarmer » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:34 pm

green15 wrote:
cusenation wrote:
green15 wrote:Been waiting 4+ weeks for interview assignment - also freaking out about my app going complete in January...is it possible/a really bad idea to cancel the interview request? Thoughts?


Do you have work experience? Your numbers are solid enough where you won't be screwed if you don't do an interview. But they're not high enough to make an interview expendable. It'll come down to how much WE you have. But IMO I think you should just wait, they're not gunna be making most of their major decisions until they see the December LSAT applicants anyway


I have a master's degree and 2.5 yrs WE...my gut tells me its a bad idea to withdraw the interview request, I'm just getting antsy and the more I read about NU the more I want to go...

I think withdrawing an interview request will hurt you. Its super unprofessional and NU is all about professionals. I was feeling the same way because I waited 5-6 weeks for my interview assignment but my interview was awesome and I feel like the great writeup that guy's going to give me is worth going complete two months late.

green15
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:37 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby green15 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:39 pm

francesfarmer wrote:
green15 wrote:
cusenation wrote:
green15 wrote:Been waiting 4+ weeks for interview assignment - also freaking out about my app going complete in January...is it possible/a really bad idea to cancel the interview request? Thoughts?


Do you have work experience? Your numbers are solid enough where you won't be screwed if you don't do an interview. But they're not high enough to make an interview expendable. It'll come down to how much WE you have. But IMO I think you should just wait, they're not gunna be making most of their major decisions until they see the December LSAT applicants anyway


I have a master's degree and 2.5 yrs WE...my gut tells me its a bad idea to withdraw the interview request, I'm just getting antsy and the more I read about NU the more I want to go...

I think withdrawing an interview request will hurt you. Its super unprofessional and NU is all about professionals. I was feeling the same way because I waited 5-6 weeks for my interview assignment but my interview was awesome and I feel like the great writeup that guy's going to give me is worth going complete two months late.


good point...

User avatar
John_rizzy_rawls
Posts: 3477
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:44 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:44 pm

DaRascal wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:There is a whole thread dedicated to men's suit and fashion:
http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 0&t=173475


I'm thinking purple suit, purple hair, purple gloves, purple shades. Could separate you from other interviewees. :P


I'm thinking if I get an interview request next year, I'll just go in Eddie Murphy's outfit from Raw.

You know the one... --ImageRemoved--

User avatar
francesfarmer
Posts: 1409
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:52 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby francesfarmer » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:51 pm

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:
DaRascal wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:There is a whole thread dedicated to men's suit and fashion:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=173475


I'm thinking purple suit, purple hair, purple gloves, purple shades. Could separate you from other interviewees. :P


I'm thinking if I get an interview request next year, I'll just go in Eddie Murphy's outfit from Raw.

You know the one... --ImageRemoved--

Do me on it

User avatar
helix23
Posts: 1807
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby helix23 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:08 pm

cusenation wrote:Dear God,

Please don't do this to me again.

Image


LOL awesome

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby DoveBodyWash » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:28 pm

Every time I refresh my status checker:

Image

User avatar
danitt
Posts: 1984
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby danitt » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:51 pm

cusenation wrote:Every time I refresh my status checker:

[img]IMAGE[/img]

At least they didn't say 8-12.

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby DoveBodyWash » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:57 pm

danitt wrote:
cusenation wrote:Every time I refresh my status checker:

[img]IMAGE[/img]

At least they didn't say 8-12.


lol don't even get me started on Penn..

User avatar
feralinfant
Posts: 887
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:54 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby feralinfant » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:00 pm

cusenation wrote:Every time I refresh my status checker:


if i have to wait till sometime in february to find out i'm probably going to have a nervous breakdown. just saying. (hopes the lawschool gods don't punish this statement with the waitlist)

BigZuck wrote:Northwestern hasn't been on my radar as much as some other t14s for some reason. This is making me reconsider. Care to share some of the horror stories you have heard from other schools? I'd love for specifics if you're willing to PM me. Maybe I need to modify my favorite schools list!?!


I don't know if i've heard a lot of horror stories necessarily, just that in general people seem to speak negatively of their classmates (i.e. "ugh law students are the worst" says the law student). I talked to somebody who went to Georgetown who assured me I would hate 95% of my classmates but that the other 5% would be "really cool". This is all anecdotal but I like to look at a few things-first Northwestern seems to be overrepresented on this board and are almost without fail incredibly helpful. The other thing is that I think the work experience and splitter tendencies of the class probably just lead to a chiller, humbler student body which is hugely appealing to me. Anyone actually at NU feel free to correct these conjectures if they're off. .

guinness1547
Posts: 585
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:13 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby guinness1547 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:02 pm

cusenation wrote:
danitt wrote:
cusenation wrote:Every time I refresh my status checker:

[img]IMAGE[/img]

At least they didn't say 8-12.


lol don't even get me started on Penn..

I just want some decisions soon. This waiting is brutal.

Random person: So what are you doin?

Me: Going to law school next year.

Random: Oh that's cool. Where are you going?

Me: I don't know. Depends where I get in.

Random: When will you find out?

Me: Soon/any day now/not sure/sometime

Every conversation since September.

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby DoveBodyWash » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:04 pm

guinness1547 wrote:
cusenation wrote:
danitt wrote:
cusenation wrote:Every time I refresh my status checker:

[img]IMAGE[/img]

At least they didn't say 8-12.


lol don't even get me started on Penn..

I just want some decisions soon. This waiting is brutal.

Random person: So what are you doin?

Me: Going to law school next year.

Random: Oh that's cool. Where are you going?

Me: I don't know. Depends where I get in.

Random: When will you find out?

Me: Soon/any day now/not sure/sometime

Every conversation since September.


+1

User avatar
danitt
Posts: 1984
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby danitt » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:06 pm

guinness1547 wrote:
cusenation wrote:
danitt wrote:
cusenation wrote:Every time I refresh my status checker:

[img]IMAGE[/img]

At least they didn't say 8-12.


lol don't even get me started on Penn..

I just want some decisions soon. This waiting is brutal.

Random person: So what are you doin?

Me: Going to law school next year.

Random: Oh that's cool. Where are you going?

Me: I don't know. Depends where I get in.

Random: When will you find out?

Me: Soon/any day now/not sure/sometime

Every conversation since September.

And then your friends asking you every week if you've heard back from anywhere.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13916
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:21 pm

feralinfant wrote:
cusenation wrote:Every time I refresh my status checker:


if i have to wait till sometime in february to find out i'm probably going to have a nervous breakdown. just saying. (hopes the lawschool gods don't punish this statement with the waitlist)

BigZuck wrote:Northwestern hasn't been on my radar as much as some other t14s for some reason. This is making me reconsider. Care to share some of the horror stories you have heard from other schools? I'd love for specifics if you're willing to PM me. Maybe I need to modify my favorite schools list!?!


I don't know if i've heard a lot of horror stories necessarily, just that in general people seem to speak negatively of their classmates (i.e. "ugh law students are the worst" says the law student). I talked to somebody who went to Georgetown who assured me I would hate 95% of my classmates but that the other 5% would be "really cool". This is all anecdotal but I like to look at a few things-first Northwestern seems to be overrepresented on this board and are almost without fail incredibly helpful. The other thing is that I think the work experience and splitter tendencies of the class probably just lead to a chiller, humbler student body which is hugely appealing to me. Anyone actually at NU feel free to correct these conjectures if they're off. .
View from the other end of the social spectrum from Crumps: In the 1L class, I can think of maybe 2 people who are kind of generally "unliked." And even they have friends. No one is an outcast. I personally am a combination of antisocial, lazy and invisible, so I'm probably the closest thing to one that the class has. And I don't feel "unliked" by any means...just a little forgotten sometimes. :P Everyone in the class is genuinely friendly, no matter what social group they are in. (Example: Crumps is one of the social butterflies of the class and she acknowledges me in public. :wink: )

ETA: And if you, like me, don't have concrete career plans and are really tired of answering the question "What kind of law are you interested in?" from friends and family, the correct reply is "the kind I can get a job in." 8)




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”