Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:14 pm

TripTrip wrote:Alright, here's the ultimate question for all of us without the full $150k.

Is the best time to negotiate scholarships before or after the April 12 deadline? I'll drop multiple deposits if I have to.


don't you have $120,000 from them? can't imagine there's much in the world shy of a named ruby/hamilton/mordecai/vanderbilt ect. that up it but good luck

User avatar
SteelPenguin
Posts: 1090
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:37 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby SteelPenguin » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:14 pm

Does anyone know what day classes start at Northwestern? I want to indicate that I want to remain on the waitlist until the end, but they ask for a date.

User avatar
HankBashir
Posts: 536
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:01 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby HankBashir » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:15 pm

In today! Stats in profile

EDIT: Interviewed on-campus 1/14. Last complete date update was 1/30.
Last edited by HankBashir on Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2189
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby Micdiddy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:18 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
TripTrip wrote:Alright, here's the ultimate question for all of us without the full $150k.

Is the best time to negotiate scholarships before or after the April 12 deadline? I'll drop multiple deposits if I have to.


don't you have $120,000 from them? can't imagine there's much in the world shy of a named ruby/hamilton/mordecai/vanderbilt ect. that up it but good luck


http://lawschoolnumbers.com/TripTrip

Now I remember you TripTrip, one of the weirdest cycles this year. Seriously, I know you are tired of hearing it, but you should have gotten one of the aforementioned ruby/hamilton/mordecai/vanderbilt (still might get???)

HankBashir wrote:In today! Stats in profile


Congrats!

User avatar
Scarlett66
Posts: 84
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:30 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby Scarlett66 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:21 pm

Micdiddy wrote:
Scarlett66 wrote:
TripTrip wrote:Alright, here's the ultimate question for all of us without the full $150k.

Is the best time to negotiate scholarships before or after the April 12 deadline? I'll drop multiple deposits if I have to.


I out performed my numbers I think, so asking for more money would be churlish I think. It's a lovely thought though


Same. Even though I gave the advice constantly to negotiate earlier in this thread, seeing as my biggest weapon is 18k from Mich and I am already EXTREMELY grateful for their offer, it would seem in bad taste.
To answer the question though, if you have the ammo to negotiate now, do it.


I don't have any $ from schools above NU. I have two full rides at tier 2's and a full ride with stipend at a t25. I just don't think these buy me any leverage. Thoughts?

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2737
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby TripTrip » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:22 pm

Micdiddy wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
TripTrip wrote:Alright, here's the ultimate question for all of us without the full $150k.

Is the best time to negotiate scholarships before or after the April 12 deadline? I'll drop multiple deposits if I have to.


don't you have $120,000 from them? can't imagine there's much in the world shy of a named ruby/hamilton/mordecai/vanderbilt ect. that up it but good luck


http://lawschoolnumbers.com/TripTrip

Now I remember you TripTrip, one of the weirdest cycles this year. Seriously, I know you are tired of hearing it, but you should have gotten one of the aforementioned ruby/hamilton/mordecai/vanderbilt (still might get???)

Yeah, I know. Even though I'm thrilled to be offered $105k at NU, it feels like settling for exactly the reason you mentioned.

Dat UCLA offer might look good for me, but I doubt it will help in negotiating. Maybe Cornell will pull through.

User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2189
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby Micdiddy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:40 pm

Scarlett66 wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:
Scarlett66 wrote:
TripTrip wrote:Alright, here's the ultimate question for all of us without the full $150k.

Is the best time to negotiate scholarships before or after the April 12 deadline? I'll drop multiple deposits if I have to.


I out performed my numbers I think, so asking for more money would be churlish I think. It's a lovely thought though


Same. Even though I gave the advice constantly to negotiate earlier in this thread, seeing as my biggest weapon is 18k from Mich and I am already EXTREMELY grateful for their offer, it would seem in bad taste.
To answer the question though, if you have the ammo to negotiate now, do it.


I don't have any $ from schools above NU. I have two full rides at tier 2's and a full ride with stipend at a t25. I just don't think these buy me any leverage. Thoughts?


"a t25" is rather vague. Some t25's full ride+stip are absolutely negotiating worthy. Others, maybe not. Full ride + stip is nothing to sneeze at, NU will take that seriously as they seem very money conscious and not so full of themselves that "you should be happy just to be accepted!"
I regret not applying to anything lower than NU for this exact scholly negotiating reason.

whatsup2b
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:09 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby whatsup2b » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:45 pm

Me thinks NU is waitlisting everyone...

User avatar
SteelPenguin
Posts: 1090
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:37 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby SteelPenguin » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:46 pm

Does anyone know who the Dean of Admissions is? Is it Johann Lee, Assistant Dean of Admissions?

User avatar
fairlylegal22
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:01 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby fairlylegal22 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:48 pm

whatsup2b wrote:Me thinks NU is waitlisting everyone...


Just got the waitlist email. Didn't even know that my application was under review. There was no hint of any activity till today WHAM!

User avatar
cookiejar1
Posts: 834
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:07 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby cookiejar1 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:07 pm

Danny Boyo wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:
luxurylawyer wrote:Now it's offical. Waitlist. Time to turn on the charm.


This may seem odd, but have you considered retaking in June? NU is nuts about the LSAT. Our gpa is rather close, but they want every little lsat point they can get. Perhaps you can negotiate with them before you register for it "IF I get a 171 (or whatever) will you admit me?" and see what they say.
The worst they can say is that it won't factor into their decision, but it might be worth a shot?
Assuming, of course, you're ready and willing to actually retake it.


I'm playing with that idea.


Does this work with increasing scholarships? Anecdotal stories highly preferred. Currently deciding whether or not I should put myself through another couple months of hellish LSAT suffering + living like a bum for a year working some deadbeat job whilst getting dumber by the second in order to wait for next cycle.

User avatar
Scarlett66
Posts: 84
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:30 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby Scarlett66 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:19 pm

cookiejar1 wrote:
Danny Boyo wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:
luxurylawyer wrote:Now it's offical. Waitlist. Time to turn on the charm.


This may seem odd, but have you considered retaking in June? NU is nuts about the LSAT. Our gpa is rather close, but they want every little lsat point they can get. Perhaps you can negotiate with them before you register for it "IF I get a 171 (or whatever) will you admit me?" and see what they say.
The worst they can say is that it won't factor into their decision, but it might be worth a shot?
Assuming, of course, you're ready and willing to actually retake it.


I'm playing with that idea.


Does this work with increasing scholarships? Anecdotal stories highly preferred. Currently deciding whether or not I should put myself through another couple months of hellish LSAT suffering + living like a bum for a year working some deadbeat job whilst getting dumber by the second in order to wait for next cycle.


That's tough. I contemplated sitting out this cycle and taking it again. (Studying for LSAT while taking physical chemistry = not the best) I just can't imagine going back to it. Kudos to you if you do though

User avatar
feralinfant
Posts: 887
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:54 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby feralinfant » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:20 pm

And it's sticker for me. Damn.

I wonder if i could use my mere acceptance at NU to scare up some money out of gtown and then take that to NU. I feel like I'm probably just out of luck and going to have to pay full price no matter what though.

User avatar
Scarlett66
Posts: 84
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:30 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby Scarlett66 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:32 pm

feralinfant wrote:And it's sticker for me. Damn.

I wonder if i could use my mere acceptance at NU to scare up some money out of gtown and then take that to NU. I feel like I'm probably just out of luck and going to have to pay full price no matter what though.


Did you get an email saying as much? Or are you just assuming by the lack of response?

Sorry to hear man

User avatar
feralinfant
Posts: 887
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:54 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby feralinfant » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:34 pm

Scarlett66 wrote:
feralinfant wrote:And it's sticker for me. Damn.

I wonder if i could use my mere acceptance at NU to scare up some money out of gtown and then take that to NU. I feel like I'm probably just out of luck and going to have to pay full price no matter what though.


Did you get an email saying as much? Or are you just assuming by the lack of response?

Sorry to hear man


i got an e-mail with my financial aid package informing me i am more than welcome to take out the maximum allotted loans. :|

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2737
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby TripTrip » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:47 pm

feralinfant wrote:i got an e-mail with my financial aid package informing me i am more than welcome to take out the maximum allotted loans. :|

As opposed to the alternative: sneaking into class every day and forging a diploma after three years.

User avatar
feralinfant
Posts: 887
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:54 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby feralinfant » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:49 pm

TripTrip wrote:
feralinfant wrote:i got an e-mail with my financial aid package informing me i am more than welcome to take out the maximum allotted loans. :|

As opposed to the alternative: sneaking into class every day and forging a diploma after three years.


Considering this. Would pitch it in interviews as an example of my resourcefulness and determination.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2737
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby TripTrip » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:51 pm

feralinfant wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
feralinfant wrote:i got an e-mail with my financial aid package informing me i am more than welcome to take out the maximum allotted loans. :|

As opposed to the alternative: sneaking into class every day and forging a diploma after three years.


Considering this. Would pitch it in interviews as an example of my resourcefulness and determination.

Don't forget thriftiness! $150,000 saved is $150,000 earned!

ETA: Actually, factoring in debt repayment and interest, $150,000 saved today is $408,345 earned over 25 years!

User avatar
Danny Boyo
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:04 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby Danny Boyo » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:54 pm

cookiejar1 wrote:
Danny Boyo wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:
luxurylawyer wrote:Now it's offical. Waitlist. Time to turn on the charm.


This may seem odd, but have you considered retaking in June? NU is nuts about the LSAT. Our gpa is rather close, but they want every little lsat point they can get. Perhaps you can negotiate with them before you register for it "IF I get a 171 (or whatever) will you admit me?" and see what they say.
The worst they can say is that it won't factor into their decision, but it might be worth a shot?
Assuming, of course, you're ready and willing to actually retake it.


I'm playing with that idea.


Does this work with increasing scholarships? Anecdotal stories highly preferred. Currently deciding whether or not I should put myself through another couple months of hellish LSAT suffering + living like a bum for a year working some deadbeat job whilst getting dumber by the second in order to wait for next cycle.


I don't know about increasing scholarship. I'm considering it in order to just get my foot on the door. I got waitlisted at UVA and a good score could convince them to offer me a seat. Same with NU if they waitlist me.

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4165
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby Clearly » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:01 pm

TripTrip wrote:
feralinfant wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
feralinfant wrote:i got an e-mail with my financial aid package informing me i am more than welcome to take out the maximum allotted loans. :|

As opposed to the alternative: sneaking into class every day and forging a diploma after three years.


Considering this. Would pitch it in interviews as an example of my resourcefulness and determination.

Don't forget thriftiness! $150,000 saved is $150,000 earned!

ETA: Actually, factoring in debt repayment and interest, $150,000 saved today is $408,345 earned over 25 years!

Plus repayment is with post-tax dollars, schollys/stealing education aren't.
Last edited by Clearly on Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

denglese
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:52 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby denglese » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:13 pm

Waitlist for me, which I fully expected. Better than a rejection, but in all actuality I won't be waiting around. Oh well. It was worth a shot.

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4165
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby Clearly » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:18 pm

denglese wrote:Waitlist for me, which I fully expected. Better than a rejection, but in all actuality I won't be waiting around. Oh well. It was worth a shot.

Sorry to hear, I got WLed too. Let them know if you don't intend to wait, it might help those of us that will.

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4165
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby Clearly » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:21 pm

For what it's worth, I'm calling a good year for waitlist activity, if you're actually dedicated to NU that is. With scores and applicants down, HYSCCN have waitlisted a ton of kids, as they call up people, many NU students (with$) will likely take the offer, hopefully :lol:

onionz
Posts: 407
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:22 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby onionz » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:22 pm

10k a year. 172, 3.1.

WaitingandHopeful
Posts: 130
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:57 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby WaitingandHopeful » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:23 pm

Hold letter around 2, turned into a WL letter around 4.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexandros, Google Adsense [Bot], lillawyer2, Long shot hero and 15 guests