Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby Cobretti » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:35 pm

5:30 in Chicago... who else didn't get a scholly offer today?

User avatar
syd625
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:36 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby syd625 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:40 pm

mrizza wrote:5:30 in Chicago... who else didn't get a scholly offer today?


Me. And there's no way I can handle NU at sticker. :(

User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2190
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby Micdiddy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:43 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:45k here 8)


AWESOME! Every bit helps, right? With ElTerrible prob going to UChi, June Waiters taking over the windy city imo :D

User avatar
cookiejar1
Posts: 834
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:07 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby cookiejar1 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:48 pm

mrizza wrote:5:30 in Chicago... who else didn't get a scholly offer today?


syd625 wrote:
mrizza wrote:5:30 in Chicago... who else didn't get a scholly offer today?


Me. And there's no way I can handle NU at sticker. :(


:cry: I hope you guys hear from NU tomorrow.

User avatar
syd625
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:36 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby syd625 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:51 pm

cookiejar1 wrote:
mrizza wrote:5:30 in Chicago... who else didn't get a scholly offer today?


syd625 wrote:
mrizza wrote:5:30 in Chicago... who else didn't get a scholly offer today?


Me. And there's no way I can handle NU at sticker. :(


:cry: I hope you guys hear from NU tomorrow.


Thanks. And congrats to you and everyone else who heard.

tcliff
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:05 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby tcliff » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:14 pm

120 k @ 930 am.

Very happy with the offer, obviously.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9650
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:21 pm

So now that we have a pretty significant data pool going here, what do people think is the merit/need calculation going on here? I'm getting the sense these offers are slightly more generous (mine is at least and the 120K definitely) than some peer institutions -- any consensus/regression on how much need factored into these offers or is it mostly just numbers driven? kappycaft1 *ahem* :)

User avatar
pammie0415
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:30 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby pammie0415 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:40 pm

risa wrote:Is anyone else here still waiting for a decision and hasn't even been "held" by NU? If so, what's your complete date?

I applied in early November, complete since mid-January.

BigZuck are you in my boat too or just despondent at no $$ yet?


Went complete mid-Jan and held since end of Feb. I would think people who are still waiting (not held) have a better chance of getting in than the held peeps. Hope you get some good news soon!

User avatar
mehh
Posts: 143
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:17 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby mehh » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:46 pm

pammie0415 wrote:
risa wrote:Is anyone else here still waiting for a decision and hasn't even been "held" by NU? If so, what's your complete date?

I applied in early November, complete since mid-January.

BigZuck are you in my boat too or just despondent at no $$ yet?


Went complete mid-Jan and held since end of Feb. I would think people who are still waiting (not held) have a better chance of getting in than the held peeps. Hope you get some good news soon!



I applied mid-January.
Complete 2/25 after interviewing, and again 3/13.
No word since then.
Any idea when I will hear??

User avatar
PBateman1
Posts: 212
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:57 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby PBateman1 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:50 pm

mrizza wrote:5:30 in Chicago... who else didn't get a scholly offer today?


This guy. If they gave me 45k I'd deposit tomorrow.

User avatar
CatFacts
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:27 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby CatFacts » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:04 pm

PBateman1 wrote:
mrizza wrote:5:30 in Chicago... who else didn't get a scholly offer today?


This guy. If they gave me 45k I'd deposit tomorrow.


+1

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby Cobretti » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:10 pm

PBateman1 wrote:
mrizza wrote:5:30 in Chicago... who else didn't get a scholly offer today?


This guy. If they gave me 45k I'd deposit tomorrow.

Really hope they aren't assuming we have the GI Bill. I only have 2 months of eligibility left and need assistance if this is gonna happen.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby TripTrip » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:16 pm

mrizza wrote:
PBateman1 wrote:
mrizza wrote:5:30 in Chicago... who else didn't get a scholly offer today?


This guy. If they gave me 45k I'd deposit tomorrow.

Really hope they aren't assuming we have the GI Bill. I only have 2 months of eligibility left and need assistance if this is gonna happen.

Current National Guard here. They still gave me $105k.

User avatar
twinkletoes16
Posts: 1317
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby twinkletoes16 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:17 pm

Came home to find a note from Johann (or at least I think it was...his tweets are a little more legible :wink: ) with the sweet luggage tag. That and the bomb leather folio and my shiny new scholarship, things are looking very chi-town for me right now!


Also if anyone wants to help me walk through calculating total COA and could PM me, that would be fantastic :mrgreen: Trying to figure out loans + interest rates+ CoL estimates for each school and keep getting tripped up. Math ain't my strong suit. The Georgetown caluclator confuses me... :oops: though some of this could be jetlag.

User avatar
untar614
Posts: 646
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:01 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby untar614 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:41 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:Came home to find a note from Johann (or at least I think it was...his tweets are a little more legible :wink: ) with the sweet luggage tag. That and the bomb leather folio and my shiny new scholarship, things are looking very chi-town for me right now!


Also if anyone wants to help me walk through calculating total COA and could PM me, that would be fantastic :mrgreen: Trying to figure out loans + interest rates+ CoL estimates for each school and keep getting tripped up. Math ain't my strong suit. The Georgetown caluclator confuses me... :oops: though some of this could be jetlag.


I can't account for potential tuition increases since i don't know how to predict them, but if we assume some values I can do the math.
If u got 40k/yr scholly, that leaves ~13.5k/yr in tuition, and lets estimate 22.5k in living expenses for a total of 36k/yr.
Interest is 6.8% per year.

If we assume the year after graduating you can at least pay off any additional interest that may accrue, your total debt at graduation would be:

36000 * 1.068^3 + 36000 * 1.068^2 + 36000 * 1.068 = 43854.71 + 41062.46 + 38448 = 123365.17

Interest and living expenses are a bitch, huh? You could probably get by living a bit cheaper than that though, maybe get some employment during school to lower costs before interest hits. Dunno how big of a dent you could make though :/

User avatar
twinkletoes16
Posts: 1317
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby twinkletoes16 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:48 pm

untar614 wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:Came home to find a note from Johann (or at least I think it was...his tweets are a little more legible :wink: ) with the sweet luggage tag. That and the bomb leather folio and my shiny new scholarship, things are looking very chi-town for me right now!


Also if anyone wants to help me walk through calculating total COA and could PM me, that would be fantastic :mrgreen: Trying to figure out loans + interest rates+ CoL estimates for each school and keep getting tripped up. Math ain't my strong suit. The Georgetown caluclator confuses me... :oops: though some of this could be jetlag.


I can't account for potential tuition increases since i don't know how to predict them, but if we assume some values I can do the math.
If u got 40k/yr scholly, that leaves ~13.5k/yr in tuition, and lets estimate 22.5k in living expenses for a total of 36k/yr.
Interest is 6.8% per year.

If we assume the year after graduating you can at least pay off any additional interest that may accrue, your total debt at graduation would be:

36000 * 1.068^3 + 36000 * 1.068^2 + 36000 * 1.068 = 43854.71 + 41062.46 + 38448 = 123365.17

Interest and living expenses are a bitch, huh? You could probably get by living a bit cheaper than that though, maybe get some employment during school to lower costs before interest hits. Dunno how big of a dent you could make though :/



Thank you for doing this! I am living right now on much less than 15k/year, although I know downtown chicago is going to be a lot more expensive.

I guess with a 2L SA that could knock maybe 15k off that total?

I was so excited (and still am) about my offer, but now thinking about the CoA of other schools (especially the ones where I have no scholarship) is TERRIFYING.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby TripTrip » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:55 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:I was so excited (and still am) about my offer, but now thinking about the CoA of other schools (especially the ones where I have no scholarship) is TERRIFYING.

+1

After figuring the debt I'd have at NU on a 3/4 scholarship and even UCLA on a full+30, I don't know if I could stomach looking at any school at sticker.

Big Dog
Posts: 1191
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby Big Dog » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:59 pm

+2: If one doesn't have wealthy family money, IMO, only HYS are worth sticker.

User avatar
untar614
Posts: 646
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:01 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby untar614 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:00 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:
untar614 wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:Came home to find a note from Johann (or at least I think it was...his tweets are a little more legible :wink: ) with the sweet luggage tag. That and the bomb leather folio and my shiny new scholarship, things are looking very chi-town for me right now!


Also if anyone wants to help me walk through calculating total COA and could PM me, that would be fantastic :mrgreen: Trying to figure out loans + interest rates+ CoL estimates for each school and keep getting tripped up. Math ain't my strong suit. The Georgetown caluclator confuses me... :oops: though some of this could be jetlag.


I can't account for potential tuition increases since i don't know how to predict them, but if we assume some values I can do the math.
If u got 40k/yr scholly, that leaves ~13.5k/yr in tuition, and lets estimate 22.5k in living expenses for a total of 36k/yr.
Interest is 6.8% per year.

If we assume the year after graduating you can at least pay off any additional interest that may accrue, your total debt at graduation would be:

36000 * 1.068^3 + 36000 * 1.068^2 + 36000 * 1.068 = 43854.71 + 41062.46 + 38448 = 123365.17

Interest and living expenses are a bitch, huh? You could probably get by living a bit cheaper than that though, maybe get some employment during school to lower costs before interest hits. Dunno how big of a dent you could make though :/



Thank you for doing this! I am living right now on much less than 15k/year, although I know downtown chicago is going to be a lot more expensive.

I guess with a 2L SA that could knock maybe 15k off that total?

I was so excited (and still am) about my offer, but now thinking about the CoA of other schools (especially the ones where I have no scholarship) is TERRIFYING.


Yeah, housing near the school is really expensive. I know that in outer Chicago housing is actually pretty reasonable. I've heard parking by the school is really expensive though. The train system is supposed to be pretty solid - the nearest stop I think is about half a mile from the school. So if that's a viable way of getting to school and it doesn't make the commute too unreasonably long, I'd consider that. Will have to find out about this at ASW.

User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2190
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby Micdiddy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:04 pm

Subway system in Chi is great. Hopefully my wife can find a good gig there and we can graduate nearly debt free :)
Such a dream. One of the best schools for finding a good job and not needing to worry about 10 years of crippling, life-altering debt.

User avatar
untar614
Posts: 646
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:01 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby untar614 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:05 pm

Big Dog wrote:+2: If one doesn't have wealthy family money, IMO, only HYS are worth sticker.

Srsly, wouldn't do it. Even HYS though, as much as I'd love to go to one if I got in, if I got 0 scholly, thats like 300k in debt, compared to ~75k for me at NW with still a pretty good shot at biglaw. That much debt is pretty daunting, even for the awesomeness of getting a HYS JD.

BigZuck
Posts: 10875
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby BigZuck » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:08 pm

jbagelboy wrote:So now that we have a pretty significant data pool going here, what do people think is the merit/need calculation going on here? I'm getting the sense these offers are slightly more generous (mine is at least and the 120K definitely) than some peer institutions -- any consensus/regression on how much need factored into these offers or is it mostly just numbers driven? kappycaft1 *ahem* :)


My offer at NU was less than both Duke and Cornell. But still pretty great for a slightly below median LSAT and slightly above median GPA (assuming medians stay the same, of course).

Big Dog
Posts: 1191
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby Big Dog » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:08 pm

^^yeah, I understand. That kinda debt can be bone-crushing.

But I'm not sure it's $300k in debt since HYS offers wonderful need-based aid.

User avatar
teiswei
Posts: 695
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:50 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby teiswei » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:11 pm

Micdiddy wrote:Subway system in Chi is great. Hopefully my wife can find a good gig there and we can graduate nearly debt free :)
Such a dream. One of the best schools for finding a good job and not needing to worry about 10 years of crippling, life-altering debt.

Living north is definitely your best option. I live in a 1 BR on the river (near olgilvee) for $1700 with garage parking and that's actually a steal. Comprable, although not as central, apartments in the ravenswood, Andersonville, lakeview, east lakeview, or Lincoln park can be had around $1000-$1500. One thing to keep in mind in these areas is parking because its mostly street parking and tough to come by. The "L," which is the "subway" you guys are referring to is the way to go. CTA has its issues but its definitely a solid option.

I can talk all day about living in Chicago so feel free to ask here or PM.

User avatar
untar614
Posts: 646
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:01 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby untar614 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:15 pm

teiswei wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:Subway system in Chi is great. Hopefully my wife can find a good gig there and we can graduate nearly debt free :)
Such a dream. One of the best schools for finding a good job and not needing to worry about 10 years of crippling, life-altering debt.

Living north is definitely your best option. I live in a 1 BR on the river (near olgilvee) for $1700 with garage parking and that's actually a steal. Comprable, although not as central, apartments in the ravenswood, Andersonville, lakeview, east lakeview, or Lincoln park can be had around $1000-$1500. One thing to keep in mind in these areas is parking because its mostly street parking and tough to come by. The "L," which is the "subway" you guys are referring to is the way to go. CTA has its issues but its definitely a solid option.

I can talk all day about living in Chicago so feel free to ask here or PM.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Is north really the cheapest option? I thought living more western toward the burbs would get lower rent. 1700 is still pretty high. I was hoping I could find some roommates and get my housing costs down to 900 or less. I'm so spoiled living in Gainesville all these years hahaha.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Lawl_Schoolz, luckydayahead, ramp_999, ReadyToStart, Tomthecat, wajdicm, Zoe107 and 33 guests