Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9650
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:28 pm

Micdiddy wrote:I really hope there's good news for everyone soon. I might 100% bias but northwestern looks like it's on the rise, recent years employment, cutting classes and increasing fin aid (stated, at least, we can compare lsn graphs after the cycle to confirm). Very excited for this school, would probably choose over some higher ranked ones even if they offered the same $.


this is why I'm quite disappointed about not receiving anything this morning.. I was very excited about NU, I thought I submitted a good finaid app, and my numbers are just on par with the 120's today. Sighhhh this cycle is so psychologically draining

BigZuck
Posts: 10875
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby BigZuck » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:28 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:I really hope there's good news for everyone soon. I might 100% bias but northwestern looks like it's on the rise, recent years employment, cutting classes and increasing fin aid (stated, at least, we can compare lsn graphs after the cycle to confirm). Very excited for this school, would probably choose over some higher ranked ones even if they offered the same $.


IMO NU > MVB for big law employment rn. Would definitely choose it over them if I had the option.


I think there's something to be said for V if you want the south/DC or B if you want California but other than that +1 to all of the above.

Can't see choosing Michigan over NU unless Michigan was cheaper or you really wanted to work in Michigan specifically.

LSAquestions
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:27 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby LSAquestions » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:34 pm

hi all... can't find conclusive evidence on this question so forgive me if it's been covered...

how should i react to seeing the status date and country of citizenship updated? from what i've read on here, that sounds like a good thing, but i can't tell for certain. happened to me with NU and another school today!

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby TripTrip » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:39 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:I really hope there's good news for everyone soon. I might 100% bias but northwestern looks like it's on the rise, recent years employment, cutting classes and increasing fin aid (stated, at least, we can compare lsn graphs after the cycle to confirm). Very excited for this school, would probably choose over some higher ranked ones even if they offered the same $.


IMO NU > MVB for big law employment rn. Would definitely choose it over them if I had the option.

I worry that NU's focus on work experience skews this upward. Is it possible that the success of NU graduates comes from their resumes?

User avatar
Bloomsie
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:26 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby Bloomsie » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:40 pm

170/3.5X and no interview - 90k. Very, very happy with this news.

User avatar
shifty_eyed
Posts: 1934
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby shifty_eyed » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:42 pm

TripTrip wrote:
shifty_eyed wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:I really hope there's good news for everyone soon. I might 100% bias but northwestern looks like it's on the rise, recent years employment, cutting classes and increasing fin aid (stated, at least, we can compare lsn graphs after the cycle to confirm). Very excited for this school, would probably choose over some higher ranked ones even if they offered the same $.


IMO NU > MVB for big law employment rn. Would definitely choose it over them if I had the option.

I worry that NU's focus on work experience skews this upward. Is it possible that the success of NU graduates comes from their resumes?

Lots of NU students have unexceptional work experience. I can't imagine NU has a much larger % of students with prestigious resumes, but I could be wrong.

User avatar
Scarlett66
Posts: 84
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:30 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby Scarlett66 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:49 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
shifty_eyed wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:I really hope there's good news for everyone soon. I might 100% bias but northwestern looks like it's on the rise, recent years employment, cutting classes and increasing fin aid (stated, at least, we can compare lsn graphs after the cycle to confirm). Very excited for this school, would probably choose over some higher ranked ones even if they offered the same $.


IMO NU > MVB for big law employment rn. Would definitely choose it over them if I had the option.

I worry that NU's focus on work experience skews this upward. Is it possible that the success of NU graduates comes from their resumes?

Lots of NU students have unexceptional work experience. I can't imagine NU has a much larger % of students with prestigious resumes, but I could be wrong.


I agree. Most people are only 1-2 years out of undegrad. That's 1-2 years of grudge work at a desk or in a lab usually, not anything Nobel prize worthy

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby Cobretti » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:53 pm

TripTrip wrote:
shifty_eyed wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:I really hope there's good news for everyone soon. I might 100% bias but northwestern looks like it's on the rise, recent years employment, cutting classes and increasing fin aid (stated, at least, we can compare lsn graphs after the cycle to confirm). Very excited for this school, would probably choose over some higher ranked ones even if they offered the same $.


IMO NU > MVB for big law employment rn. Would definitely choose it over them if I had the option.

I worry that NU's focus on work experience skews this upward. Is it possible that the success of NU graduates comes from their resumes?

I don't understand this argument. If this was the case why shouldn't NU be looked at more prestigiouslt for doing a superior job of recruiting employable students?

User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2190
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby Micdiddy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:53 pm

My "work experience" is tutoring the SATs and LSAT.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby TripTrip » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:10 pm

mrizza wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
shifty_eyed wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:I really hope there's good news for everyone soon. I might 100% bias but northwestern looks like it's on the rise, recent years employment, cutting classes and increasing fin aid (stated, at least, we can compare lsn graphs after the cycle to confirm). Very excited for this school, would probably choose over some higher ranked ones even if they offered the same $.


IMO NU > MVB for big law employment rn. Would definitely choose it over them if I had the option.

I worry that NU's focus on work experience skews this upward. Is it possible that the success of NU graduates comes from their resumes?

I don't understand this argument. If this was the case why shouldn't NU be looked at more prestigiouslt for doing a superior job of recruiting employable students?

I don't give a crap about how prestigious they look... I want a job after I graduate!

But I concede that they don't necessarily have better resumes.

shntn
Posts: 5319
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby shntn » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:11 pm

TripTrip wrote:I don't give a crap about how prestigious they look... I want a job after I graduate!

You're my favorite.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9650
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:13 pm

$90,000, received at 12:33 Chicago time, praise the lord a.k.a Johann. They are still coming don't lose hope!

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby Cobretti » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:19 pm

TripTrip wrote:I don't give a crap about how prestigious they look... I want a job after I graduate!

But I concede that they don't necessarily have better resumes.

If you're K-JD then I can see what you're talking about. But otherwise your WE is probably on par with everyone else.

WhiskeynCoke
Posts: 372
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:12 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby WhiskeynCoke » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:26 pm

$90k... Damn! Why oh why does the deadline have to be 4/12?? I'll never hear from Berkeley's matching before then (sent in $75k offer from Cornell). 179/3.4x

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9650
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:29 pm

WhiskeynCoke wrote:$90k... Damn! Why oh why does the deadline have to be 4/12?? I'll never hear from Berkeley's matching before then (sent in $75k offer from Cornell). 179/3.4x


yea the 4/12 deadline is sharp. as this is a very serious consideration for me, I'm going to inform berkeley/cls that they have to get their offers out before then, or I might take nu $ and run

WaitingandHopeful
Posts: 130
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:57 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby WaitingandHopeful » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:29 pm

The last big admission wave on LSN was 3/13, which was a Wednesday. Hopefully decisions to come today.

Please.

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby Cobretti » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:30 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
WhiskeynCoke wrote:$90k... Damn! Why oh why does the deadline have to be 4/12?? I'll never hear from Berkeley's matching before then (sent in $75k offer from Cornell). 179/3.4x


yea the 4/12 deadline is sharp. as this is a very serious consideration for me, I'm going to inform berkeley/cls that they have to get their offers out before then, or I might take nu $ and run

I thought Berk famously snubbed NU on the matching program?

User avatar
dsn32
Posts: 435
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 3:40 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby dsn32 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:33 pm

75k for me. About the expected amount.

shntn
Posts: 5319
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby shntn » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:33 pm

mrizza wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
WhiskeynCoke wrote:$90k... Damn! Why oh why does the deadline have to be 4/12?? I'll never hear from Berkeley's matching before then (sent in $75k offer from Cornell). 179/3.4x


yea the 4/12 deadline is sharp. as this is a very serious consideration for me, I'm going to inform berkeley/cls that they have to get their offers out before then, or I might take nu $ and run

I thought Berk famously snubbed NU on the matching program?

Yup.

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby Cobretti » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:35 pm

Today feels exactly like LSAT score release day, mini heart attacks every time i get an email notification gahhhh

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9650
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:37 pm

shntn wrote:
mrizza wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
WhiskeynCoke wrote:$90k... Damn! Why oh why does the deadline have to be 4/12?? I'll never hear from Berkeley's matching before then (sent in $75k offer from Cornell). 179/3.4x


yea the 4/12 deadline is sharp. as this is a very serious consideration for me, I'm going to inform berkeley/cls that they have to get their offers out before then, or I might take nu $ and run

I thought Berk famously snubbed NU on the matching program?

Yup.


Yea; I already submitted my Berk matching for another school weeks ago, but this might hasten their decision making.

Lucky2013
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:34 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby Lucky2013 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:37 pm

mrizza wrote:Today feels exactly like LSAT score release day, mini heart attacks every time i get an email notification gahhhh

+1

User avatar
helix23
Posts: 1807
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby helix23 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:37 pm

90

WhiskeynCoke
Posts: 372
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:12 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby WhiskeynCoke » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:42 pm

I thought Berk famously snubbed NU on the matching program?


Correct. However, B is far and away my dream school (as in the last 5 years of my life have been basically structured around the unlikely dream of attending... and I got in). Theres a million reasons why this is the case but most obviously it's because I'm shooting for SF big law (very insulated.. unlikely to land it from NU). I know that paying sticker for Berkeley over $90k at NU is incredibly, astronomically idiotic, but I may end up doing just that (and regretting it one day).

YOLO.......

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby Cobretti » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:44 pm

WhiskeynCoke wrote:
I thought Berk famously snubbed NU on the matching program?


Correct. However, B is far and away my dream school (as in the last 5 years of my life have been basically structured around the unlikely dream of attending... and I got in). Theres a million reasons why this is the case but most obviously it's because I'm shooting for SF big law (very insulated.. unlikely to land it from NU). I know that paying sticker for Berkeley over $90k at NU is incredibly, astronomically idiotic, but I may end up doing just that (and regretting it one day).

YOLO.......

Ya dude, might as well go for it. Just thought I might have been wrong about it with both of you guys bringing it up. I'd do the same thing in your position for sure.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”