Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
risa

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby risa » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:42 pm

I'm dying to get a decision from NU... It was one of my top choices to start, but it's hard to keep it in the forefront of my mind/considerations without even knowing if I got in and having no idea about financial aid. I wish schools would realize how much the timing of their admissions and aid decisions factors into applicants' psyche. I can't help but more strongly consider schools where there's already an offer on the table.

It's doubly frustrating that I applied in early November and requested my off-campus interview even before I applied, but it took nearly two months to have the interview and I didn't go complete til mid-January, which has obviously delayed my decision considerably. If I'd had any idea how long it would take, I'd have flown to Chicago to interview with admissions. I was originally going to, but decided I'd wait to visit until I knew if I got in and could attend an ASW.

I am really hoping to hear ASAP so that if I get in, I can try to arrange to visit the ASW, but there are so many moving pieces to the which-ASW-which-weekend puzzle that if it goes much longer, I'm just going to book my trip to NYU that weekend instead. C'mon NU ... I really love you but you're running out of time!

/rant

#firstworldproblems

PBateman1

Postby PBateman1 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:53 pm

risa wrote:I'm dying to get a decision from NU... It was one of my top choices to start, but it's hard to keep it in the forefront of my mind/considerations without even knowing if I got in and having no idea about financial aid. I wish schools would realize how much the timing of their admissions and aid decisions factors into applicants' psyche. I can't help but more strongly consider schools where there's already an offer on the table.

It's doubly frustrating that I applied in early November and requested my off-campus interview even before I applied, but it took nearly two months to have the interview and I didn't go complete til mid-January, which has obviously delayed my decision considerably. If I'd had any idea how long it would take, I'd have flown to Chicago to interview with admissions. I was originally going to, but decided I'd wait to visit until I knew if I got in and could attend an ASW.

I am really hoping to hear ASAP so that if I get in, I can try to arrange to visit the ASW, but there are so many moving pieces to the which-ASW-which-weekend puzzle that if it goes much longer, I'm just going to book my trip to NYU that weekend instead. C'mon NU ... I really love you but you're running out of time!

/rant

#firstworldproblems

I think this is a valid point. In a totally rational world, people would evaluate their options and make the optimal decision based on all the information available to them. As we all know though, people are not really rational (I mean we are applying to law school) and other factors come into the equation. I really think that schools lose candidates by dragging their feet. People get in to other schools, they attend ASW's, they fall in love with a school, and they end up going somewhere else. I've seen people in other threads decide to not attend schools over factors such as a weird new scholarship essay (GULC) and frustration over not having their application reviewed (Cornell). Is it totally rational? No, but people have emotions and they will come into play in the decision making process. I guess the point of this lengthy screed is that I think schools could improve yield by having a rapid and transparent admissions process.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:55 pm

risa wrote:I wish schools would realize how much the timing of their admissions and aid decisions factors into applicants' psyche. I can't help but more strongly consider schools where there's already an offer on the table.

They know that if you do finally get a decision from NU, you'll go there regardless of how late in the game (before seat deposit deadlines) it is.

risa

Postby risa » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:59 pm

PBateman1 wrote:I think this is a valid point. In a totally rational world, people would evaluate their options and make the optimal decision based on all the information available to them. As we all know though, people are not really rational (I mean we are applying to law school) and other factors come into the equation. I really think that schools lose candidates by dragging their feet. People get in to other schools, they attend ASW's, they fall in love with a school, and they end up going somewhere else. I've seen people in other threads decide to not attend schools over factors such as a weird new scholarship essay (GULC) and frustration over not having their application reviewed (Cornell). Is it totally rational? No, but people have emotions and they will come into play in the decision making process. I guess the point of this lengthy screed is that I think schools could improve yield by having a rapid and transparent admissions process.

I agree with everything you said but I also think it's more than just being rational or irrational... practically, I need to visit a school before I can decide to go there, and arguably the best/most informative time to do so (and also most affordable if you're getting a travel stipend) is during an ASW. The closer you get to the ASW without giving an applicant a decision, the more expensive and possibly more difficult logistically it's going to be for that person to attend.

Johann - you hear me bro?!? xoxo

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:05 pm

In a totally rational world, people would evaluate their options and make the optimal decision based on all the information available to them.

Perhaps you are looking at this from the wrong lens.

Indeed, law schools do just what you suggest: they put all of the apps on the table, and then "evaluate their options and make the optimal decision based on all the information available to them..." The fact that they wait to review January applicants is only "rational", since those applications are submitted way before the deadline.

Yes, that means that some students might miss out on ASW. For those with some extra cash, however, interviewing on campus can be the way to go.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:48 pm

Just thought I'd pop in to share a positive, since I know you guys are all pretty frustrated with the app process:

I was up until 7am writing a brief (my own fault. Remind me never to procrastinate like that again, my god). After submitting it, I slept until 12:30, missing 2 of my 3 classes today and then decided it wasn't worth showering to haul myself through the snow to the 3rd class. (FTR, those are the first classes I've missed this year.)

3 hours later, notes for 2 of the 3 classes appeared in my email inbox from a classmate, without me even asking. There's good people here, guys. :P

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:00 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Just thought I'd pop in to share a positive, since I know you guys are all pretty frustrated with the app process:

I was up until 7am writing a brief (my own fault. Remind me never to procrastinate like that again, my god). After submitting it, I slept until 12:30, missing 2 of my 3 classes today and then decided it wasn't worth showering to haul myself through the snow to the 3rd class. (FTR, those are the first classes I've missed this year.)

3 hours later, notes for 2 of the 3 classes appeared in my email inbox from a classmate, without me even asking. There's good people here, guys. :P

Your year may be cool, but we are clearly an army of aspie gunners. Your words rink!

blues0394

Postby blues0394 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:30 am

Hey guys -- just wanted to let you know that I got accepted!!! Complete 2/12, got my decision 2/20 for reference. This is insane :)

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:32 am

mrizza wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Just thought I'd pop in to share a positive, since I know you guys are all pretty frustrated with the app process:

Your year may be cool, but we are clearly an army of aspie gunners. Your words rink!

Nah, true gunners wouldn't need me to link to the readily available financial aid instructions every two days and would have committed this entire thread to memory (come to think of it, that's pretty much what what we did last year). :wink: I believe I called y'all neurotic, not aspie.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:29 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
mrizza wrote:

Nah, true gunners wouldn't need me to link to the readily available financial aid instructions every two days and would have committed this entire thread to memory (come to think of it, that's pretty much what what we did last year). :wink: I believe I called y'all neurotic, not aspie.

I haven't committed the whole thread to memory

Audeamus

Postby Audeamus » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:49 pm

Just withdrew. Hopefully, that'll free up a slot for a TSLer that is still waiting. I'm hardly an expert on NU admissions, but I'd be happy to read LOCIs of those looking for some objective feedback. Good luck! I'll be rooting for ya'll!

bananapudding88

Postby bananapudding88 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:08 pm

Fiance's status just changed to "Decision Letter Available within 24 hrs"!!

bananapudding88

Postby bananapudding88 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:14 pm

Been frantically trying to access his letter for him since he's in meetings all day, but the dang thing won't work!! :evil: How long do you have to wait??

snapdragon25

Postby snapdragon25 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:17 pm

aiaea wrote:Been frantically trying to access his letter for him since he's in meetings all day, but the dang thing won't work!! :evil: How long do you have to wait??

Usually under an hour. It was about 20 mins for me. Good luck!!

bananapudding88

Postby bananapudding88 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:19 pm

snapdragon25 wrote:
aiaea wrote:Been frantically trying to access his letter for him since he's in meetings all day, but the dang thing won't work!! :evil: How long do you have to wait??

thanks!!

luxurylawyer

Postby luxurylawyer » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:20 pm

snapdragon25 wrote:

Good luck to him! Would one take this to mean that a batch of decisions is on its way?

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:21 pm

aiaea wrote:
snapdragon25 wrote:

thanks!!

Hmm, it was many hours for me. I think around 4? Check every 20 minutes or so, don't drive yourself crazy.

bananapudding88

Postby bananapudding88 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:22 pm

Yayyyyyy!! He's in!!!

luxurylawyer

Postby luxurylawyer » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:23 pm

aiaea wrote:Yayyyyyy!! He's in!!!

Fantastic! Congratulations!

bananapudding88

Postby bananapudding88 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:25 pm

luxurylawyer wrote:
aiaea wrote:Yayyyyyy!! He's in!!!

Fantastic! Congratulations!

Thanks! :D He's going to be thrilled because he loves Chicago and NU!! Sent him like 15 consecutive text messages documenting my various stages of excitement, frustration and elation once I saw his status checker changed, wish I could be there when he sees them all :D :D :D

luxurylawyer

Postby luxurylawyer » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:06 pm

From Johann's Twitter, FYI...

"Decisions for the 3YJD and LLM-Taxation are going out later today."

Let the waiting game begin.

bananapudding88

Postby bananapudding88 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:09 pm

When was the last time JD-LLM HR decisions came out? Now that my husband-to-be has his, it would be really nice to get mine... :(

ramadden13

Postby ramadden13 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:02 pm

Held. (168/3.67)

So soft rejection or do holds actually have a shot?

CaptainLeela

Postby CaptainLeela » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:07 pm

How are people approaching the hold essays? Relating directly to law school/legal employment/general law stuff? Or taking a more general writing approach?

I have what I think are fairly strong, serious topics in mind but I'm having trouble linking them to "...and I would be an awesome law student" in a particularly direct and specific way.

Any thoughts/recommendations would be much appreciated, even if they are just hunches.

VeeD101

Postby VeeD101 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:09 pm

ramadden13 wrote:Held. (168/3.67)

So soft rejection or do holds actually have a shot?

Sorry :(

Would you mind sharing your complete date and an update to your complete date if you had one?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”