Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby Cobretti » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:09 pm

You should just all send in really half assed essays as a sign of protest, that'll show them...

dat scholly gunning

User avatar
twinkletoes16
Posts: 1317
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby twinkletoes16 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:14 pm

mrizza wrote:You should just all send in really half assed essays as a sign of protest, that'll show them...

dat scholly gunning




ahahhaha


but seriously now i'm spending an inordinate amount of time on these. shit.

wisteria
Posts: 285
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:43 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby wisteria » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:49 pm

So glad that I'm not the only one suffering from the scholarship essays. Been trying to work on it for at least a week, but I give up every time after 5 minutes. NU, you have my "Why NU" essay and you have my bank info, why, why do you still need two essays about the very same things?

User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2190
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby Micdiddy » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:52 pm

Really? For 300-500 words maybe I sped through these. Wrote them both in a day, spent maybe an hour total, felt pretty good about both of them. Wrote it all in Iambic Pentameter with an ABAB rhyme scheme ending in a heroic couplet. The usual.

wisteria
Posts: 285
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:43 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby wisteria » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:55 pm

Micdiddy wrote:Really? For 300-500 words maybe I sped through these. Wrote them both in a day, spent maybe an hour total, felt pretty good about both of them. Wrote it all in Iambic Pentameter with an ABAB rhyme scheme ending in a heroic couplet. The usual.


:oops: I desperately need to find a way to cure, or at least control, my severe procrastination syndrome before I go to law school.

User avatar
twinkletoes16
Posts: 1317
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby twinkletoes16 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:23 pm

wisteria wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:Really? For 300-500 words maybe I sped through these. Wrote them both in a day, spent maybe an hour total, felt pretty good about both of them. Wrote it all in Iambic Pentameter with an ABAB rhyme scheme ending in a heroic couplet. The usual.


:oops: I desperately need to find a way to cure, or at least control, my severe procrastination syndrome before I go to law school.



self-control app + film scores. BOOM. see, for example, one of my favorites: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jJnyyta07k

shntn
Posts: 5319
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby shntn » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:33 pm

Done. Finally.

I had a momentary flash of white-hot rage when I pasted it into the box and was informed that I was over the character limit. Then I scrolled down and saw the other three "additional space, if needed" boxes. Just in time, too. I was about to start throwing monitors.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:49 pm

wisteria wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:Really? For 300-500 words maybe I sped through these. Wrote them both in a day, spent maybe an hour total, felt pretty good about both of them. Wrote it all in Iambic Pentameter with an ABAB rhyme scheme ending in a heroic couplet. The usual.


:oops: I desperately need to find a way to cure, or at least control, my severe procrastination syndrome before I go to law school.

I have a two-issue brief due Wednesday morning that I haven't started writing yet (only researching). I stared at my computer, utterly paralyzed, for about 8 hours yesterday. So screwed.

User avatar
twinkletoes16
Posts: 1317
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby twinkletoes16 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:13 pm

But really, I started out the law school app process thinking, "hey! this is SO much easier than UG! Damn! Woohoo!" and now after suffering through FAFSA, NeedAccess, and 2483902347 supplemental essays...I was wrong. So, so wrong.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9651
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:26 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:But really, I started out the law school app process thinking, "hey! this is SO much easier than UG! Damn! Woohoo!" and now after suffering through FAFSA, NeedAccess, and 2483902347 supplemental essays...I was wrong. So, so wrong.


the time I've spent on this forum alone constitutes more time then I spent on my entire undergraduate applications. not to mention the hundreds of hours actually studying for the LSAT, whereas the SAT required no prep time and didn't really seem like a huge deal.

User avatar
letitloose
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:13 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby letitloose » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:54 pm

ED/RD and was just put on Hold (for a 2nd time this cycle, I guess, since my initial ED-decsion letter said I was being put on hold). Decision date 2/25. Technically, since I'm a re-applicant, the last 13 months of my Northwestern decisions can be written out as: RD/Hold/WL/ED/RD/Hold. Yes, it has been fun :D

User avatar
boomlawyered
Posts: 98
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:18 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby boomlawyered » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:01 pm

letitloose wrote:ED/RD and was just put on Hold (for a 2nd time this cycle, I guess, since my initial ED-decsion letter said I was being put on hold). Decision date 2/25. Technically, since I'm a re-applicant, the last 13 months of my Northwestern decisions can be written out as: RD/Hold/WL/ED/RD/Hold. Yes, it has been fun :D


Same. ED-->RD-->Held. Honestly, just happy it wasn't a rejection being a KJD and with my numbers.

User avatar
Inconceivable!
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:35 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby Inconceivable! » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:14 pm

boomlawyered wrote:
letitloose wrote:ED/RD and was just put on Hold (for a 2nd time this cycle, I guess, since my initial ED-decsion letter said I was being put on hold). Decision date 2/25. Technically, since I'm a re-applicant, the last 13 months of my Northwestern decisions can be written out as: RD/Hold/WL/ED/RD/Hold. Yes, it has been fun :D


Same. ED-->RD-->Held. Honestly, just happy it wasn't a rejection being a KJD and with my numbers.



Another ED-RD-Held kid. Was there supposed to be a link to a form to let them if we want to stay on hold...again? Or should we just straight up email them?

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby Cobretti » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:17 pm

Inconceivable! wrote:
boomlawyered wrote:
letitloose wrote:ED/RD and was just put on Hold (for a 2nd time this cycle, I guess, since my initial ED-decsion letter said I was being put on hold). Decision date 2/25. Technically, since I'm a re-applicant, the last 13 months of my Northwestern decisions can be written out as: RD/Hold/WL/ED/RD/Hold. Yes, it has been fun :D


Same. ED-->RD-->Held. Honestly, just happy it wasn't a rejection being a KJD and with my numbers.



Another ED-RD-Held kid. Was there supposed to be a link to a form to let them if we want to stay on hold...again? Or should we just straight up email them?

I think you only have to do that for WL.
Last edited by Cobretti on Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
letitloose
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:13 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby letitloose » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:22 pm

Inconceivable! wrote:Another ED-RD-Held kid. Was there supposed to be a link to a form to let them if we want to stay on hold...again? Or should we just straight up email them?

There's definitely a form that's supposed to be filled out -- they specifically encourage you to do so in the Hold letter. I can't find it either; I think that's because they haven't updated our letters yet (in DLS mine still is my 12/19 hold).

User avatar
boomlawyered
Posts: 98
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:18 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby boomlawyered » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:40 pm

letitloose wrote:
Inconceivable! wrote:Another ED-RD-Held kid. Was there supposed to be a link to a form to let them if we want to stay on hold...again? Or should we just straight up email them?

There's definitely a form that's supposed to be filled out -- they specifically encourage you to do so in the Hold letter. I can't find it either; I think that's because they haven't updated our letters yet (in DLS mine still is my 12/19 hold).


My letter was just updated-- same letter, same form, different date. sigh.

Fabulist
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:10 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby Fabulist » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:27 pm

A few quick thoughts for you hold/WL folks, as someone who's been there:

-It ain't over till it's over. Based on my informal polling, we had a large number of kids who were admitted over the summer, some of whom had already spent two weeks at another school. Express interest, stay connected, don't miss deadlines. I nearly gave up on coming here because I thought there was no way I would be picked up off hold. I was fortunate enough to have somebody slap me around and tell me I was dumb before I preemptively withdrew.

-The fact you were on hold does not reduce your chances of getting a scholarship. If anything, for marginal folks, it likely improves it. On a related note....

-Anyone who tells you "there are no more scholarships" is full of shit, especially if you're a summer admit. Who do you think is opening up spots by withdrawing?

-The best thing you can do for your negotiating position with the school (other than what they tell you to do, that's a given) is have a really strong alternative. Don't have a situation where the scholarship committee realizes that your best alternative to "NU on $X a year" is "NU sticker".

-Don't issue ultimatums. You might get taken up on them.

-Anyone who gets into this school is qualified to be here. Full stop. Don't psych yourself out. Many of the smartest kids in my section got in over the summer.

-To the extent you can, enjoy your summer and do relaxing stuff. Go to the beach. Come into school as relaxed, happy, and healthy as possible. You'll need those reserves of goodwill.

User avatar
CatFacts
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:27 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby CatFacts » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:01 pm

I wrote almost 500 words per financial aid essay but when I tried to copy and paste them into the supplemental application survey website, it says I have exceeded the maximum limit of 1000 words. Great, after toiling over these essays, I have to trim them down from ~3000 characters each to 1000 characters each somehow. I really wished they had specified that it was counted in characters and not words from the start.

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:02 pm

CatFacts wrote:I wrote almost 500 words per financial aid essay but when I tried to copy and paste them into the supplemental application survey website, it says I have exceeded the maximum limit of 1000 words. Great, after toiling over these essays, I have to trim them down from ~3000 characters each to 1000 characters each somehow. I really wished they had specified that it was counted in characters and not words from the start.


+10

User avatar
CatFacts
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:27 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby CatFacts » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:07 pm

Why did they provide us with so many boxes that fit 1000 characters if we were only allowed to use one of them? Finally had these essays polished and now it's time to take a hacksaw to them so that I can actually submit them.

User avatar
Jaqen
Posts: 949
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:23 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby Jaqen » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:08 pm

Dk if this helps, but in case:

shntn wrote:Done. Finally.

I had a momentary flash of white-hot rage when I pasted it into the box and was informed that I was over the character limit. Then I scrolled down and saw the other three "additional space, if needed" boxes. Just in time, too. I was about to start throwing monitors.

Betharl
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:48 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby Betharl » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:11 pm

I had some trouble uploading my essays. I mean, I was able to get the entire thing into the boxes, but I'm not entirely sure what it is going to look like on their end in terms of spacing and what not.

User avatar
shifty_eyed
Posts: 1934
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby shifty_eyed » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:16 pm

Betharl wrote:I had some trouble uploading my essays. I mean, I was able to get the entire thing into the boxes, but I'm not entirely sure what it is going to look like on their end in terms of spacing and what not.

Exactly! It's frustrating that johann mentioned lack of paragraphs etc in his google+ post about the essays because the boxes were not conducive to essay formatting at all!!!!!!!!!!!!

User avatar
CatFacts
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:27 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby CatFacts » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:25 pm

Crisis averted. My panic attack over the character limits of the boxes was unwarranted. I failed to realize at first that you could just keep moving onto the next box as long as you didn't exceed 1000 characters in any single box. It wiped out the contents of any boxes for which I put in over 1000 characters from not carefully copying and pasting so that I wouldn't hit the limit at any given time. :oops:

EDIT: Slightly amused by the message: "Thank you again for your participation in our survey. We value and appreciate your input" that shows up after you click Finish. This was a brutal survey.

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby Cobretti » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:35 pm

I used all of the boxes, and only entered in whole paragraphs. Also added an extra space between any paragraphs that got copied in together, to try to make everything look reasonable on their end after they smash it all back together.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: eageragnostic and 10 guests