Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Cobretti

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby Cobretti » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:17 pm

So has everyone's tracker been updated now?

risa

Postby risa » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:23 pm

mrizza wrote:So has everyone's tracker been updated now?

Not mine. My header still says "Your application is now complete and is being reviewed by the Admissions Committee. Please allow 6-8 weeks (from December 1) for a decision. Please be advised that your complete date may change due to internal processing." I wasn't complete til 1/15 (thanks to the grueling 2-month wait for my off campus interview), for what it's worth.
Last edited by risa on Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

simplycatalina

Postby simplycatalina » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:25 pm

risa wrote:
mrizza wrote:So has everyone's tracker been updated now?

Not mine. My header still says "Your application is now complete and is being reviewed by the Admissions Committee. Please allow 6-8 weeks (from December 1) for a decision. Please be advised that your complete date may change due to internal processing." I wasn't complete til mid-Jan (thanks to the grueling 2-month wait for my off campus interview), for what it's worth.

Same here.

ALgooner

Postby ALgooner » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:27 pm

I wasn't complete until 1/16 and yet the "6-8 weeks" was removed for me.

maxiguess

Postby maxiguess » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:01 pm

Riveting stuff, guys.

az21833

Postby az21833 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:42 am

the NU thread always takes the cake

shntn

Postby shntn » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:44 am

az21833 wrote:the NU thread always takes the cake

snoopandpoop

Postby snoopandpoop » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:15 pm

Well, I had a pretty nasty experience with NU yesterday that I thought I would share. NU AJD was a HUGE reach for me, but I'm local, and an NU alum, so I applied. Received the "decision made" email yesterday morning, logged in, printed my letter and nearly collapsed when I saw that I'd been admitted. Prompt my wife calling and texting everyone she knows to brag, etc. I also withdrew from two schools to which I'd been admitted.

Around 4pm I decide to log back in and review deposit deadlines and look for any open house dates, and when I clicked on the letter again....this time it said that I had not been admitted. I immediately called the admissions office and an hour later the Dean of Admissions called me back and read me an obviously scripted line about a systems error that affected a small number of applicants and that I had not, in fact, been admitted. She didn't sound remotely apologetic.

Anyway, NU was definitely my reach school, and I'm in at UIUC with a full tuition waiver (due to military service), so I'm not crippled by this....but I have to say, it really soured my opinion of the NU admissions office. Just wanted to get this out there in case anyone else got letters yesterday morning that they did not expect.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:17 pm

snoopandpoop wrote:Well, I had a pretty nasty experience with NU yesterday that I thought I would share. NU AJD was a HUGE reach for me, but I'm local, and an NU alum, so I applied. Received the "decision made" email yesterday morning, logged in, printed my letter and nearly collapsed when I saw that I'd been admitted. Prompt my wife calling and texting everyone she knows to brag, etc. I also withdrew from two schools to which I'd been admitted.

Around 4pm I decide to log back in and review deposit deadlines and look for any open house dates, and when I clicked on the letter again....this time it said that I had not been admitted. I immediately called the admissions office and an hour later the Dean of Admissions called me back and read me an obviously scripted line about a systems error that affected a small number of applicants and that I had not, in fact, been admitted. She didn't sound remotely apologetic.

Anyway, NU was definitely my reach school, and I'm in at UIUC with a full tuition waiver (due to military service), so I'm not crippled by this....but I have to say, it really soured my opinion of the NU admissions office. Just wanted to get this out there in case anyone else got letters yesterday morning that they did not expect.

That's brutal... Good luck at UIUC

ETA: if you withdrew from other schools based on their promise of admissions you could have a valid contract via promissory estoppel. Just a thought...
Last edited by Cobretti on Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ALgooner

Postby ALgooner » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:20 pm

snoopandpoop wrote:Well, I had a pretty nasty experience with NU yesterday that I thought I would share. NU AJD was a HUGE reach for me, but I'm local, and an NU alum, so I applied. Received the "decision made" email yesterday morning, logged in, printed my letter and nearly collapsed when I saw that I'd been admitted. Prompt my wife calling and texting everyone she knows to brag, etc. I also withdrew from two schools to which I'd been admitted.

Wow.

uconjak

Postby uconjak » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:23 pm

I think i would get a lawyer, you got a case its even in writing! Betcha could find one here that would take on the case.... Sorry about that dude, thats cold

onionz

Postby onionz » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:28 pm

I'm calling bullshit on this. You only have 1 post, it doesn't look like decisions were posted yesterday morning, and the dean of admissions is not a lady.

If it's true- sorry and hope things work out, but it still seems hard to believe.

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:30 pm

onionz wrote:

I'm calling bullshit on this. You only have 1 post, it doesn't look like decisions were posted yesterday morning, and the dean of admissions is not a lady.

If it's true- sorry and hope things work out, but it still seems hard to believe.

These things have happened before and there's no benefit to his flame. He's in at another school. But glad to see you'd want to call someone out to say 'gotcha'.

snoopandpoop

Postby snoopandpoop » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:34 pm

onionz: If you pm me your email address I'd be happy to send you scans of both letters, the acceptance and the rejection, if you agree to post an apology.

In any event, I wasn't looking to make a huge issue out of it. Just thought it was worth sharing a pretty lousy experience. I've got a lot of disappointed family right now, as for a moment it looked like I'd be able to stay in Chicago at a T14 school. More than anything I was disappointed at the way the NU admissions office handled the situation. The Dean noted that they discovered the issue around 1pm. If they had simply called me proactively to discuss the issue it would have saved me a lot of grief. What would have happened if I hadn't checked the system again? I might have just withdrawn from ALL of my accepted schools and sent NU a deposit check. That would have been a disaster, and a preventable one.
Last edited by snoopandpoop on Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

onionz

Postby onionz » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:40 pm

snoopandpoop wrote:onionz: If you pm me your email address I'd be happy to send you scans of both letters, the acceptance and the rejection, if you agree to post an apology.

Unfortunately my email makes it really easy to find me IRL and I don't feel like setting one up for 15 mins at one of those sites that gives temporary ones. I'll presume that since you're willing to send the letters that you have the proof, and wish you the best in your future endeavors at another law school.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:03 pm

snoopandpoop wrote:onionz: If you pm me your email address I'd be happy to send you scans of both letters, the acceptance and the rejection, if you agree to post an apology.

In any event, I wasn't looking to make a huge issue out of it. Just thought it was worth sharing a pretty lousy experience. I've got a lot of disappointed family right now, as for a moment it looked like I'd be able to stay in Chicago at a T14 school. More than anything I was disappointed at the way the NU admissions office handled the situation. The Dean noted that they discovered the issue around 1pm. If they had simply called me proactively to discuss the issue it would have saved me a lot of grief. What would have happened if I hadn't checked the system again? I might have just withdrawn from ALL of my accepted schools and sent NU a deposit check. That would have been a disaster, and a preventable one.

If that had happened you'd absolutely win a promissory estoppel case and they'd have to admit you.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:30 pm

Can any admits shed some light on the travel stipend Johann mentioned last week? NU is listed as no stipend on the TLS thread for ASWs

bananapudding88

Postby bananapudding88 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:38 pm

Had my on campus interview on Friday, and found it very brief and impersonal. That's not to say that it didn't go well (though certainly not great), it's just that I think 30 mins is a very short time for an interview, especially when candidates have flown into Chicago specifically for the meeting. Also, my interviewer wasn't even a graduate of the school (he seemed to be hired on a temp basis specifically for interviews), so he couldn't answer like half my questions. So I pretty have no sense of what the interview will add to my application, which sucks because I really really wanna go to Northwestern.

Anywho, I was wondering if someone could please shed some light on how soon after the interview applications go under review? TiA! :)

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:03 pm

mrizza wrote:Can any admits shed some light on the travel stipend Johann mentioned last week? NU is listed as no stipend on the TLS thread for ASWs

I can't get at the ASW, but NU did have a stipend 2 years ago (I think it was a $250 max or something), and then didn't last year. Perhaps they have reinstated it.

shntn

Postby shntn » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:04 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
mrizza wrote:Can any admits shed some light on the travel stipend Johann mentioned last week? NU is listed as no stipend on the TLS thread for ASWs

I can't get at the ASW, but NU did have a stipend 2 years ago (I think it was a $250 max or something), and then didn't last year. Perhaps they have reinstated it.

Yeah I thought there was no stipend. Irrelevant now, I suppose, but confusing.

dolfan0516

Postby dolfan0516 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:23 pm

shntn wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissions/newstudent/documents/Travel%20Stipends.pdf

Audeamus

Postby Audeamus » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:24 pm

dolfan0516 wrote:
shntn wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissions/newstudent/documents/Travel%20Stipends.pdf

it's super inconvenient that the AJD/Diverse students open house is during the work week. Also doesn't make much sense to me given how much emphasis NU places on admitting people w/ WE lol

danitt

Postby danitt » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:26 pm

I feel like for a lot of schools, the ASDs are during the work week.

shntn

Postby shntn » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:27 pm

danitt wrote:I feel like for a lot of schools, the ASDs are during the work week.

My dwindling vacation days can vouch for this.

danitt

Postby danitt » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:30 pm

shntn wrote:
danitt wrote:I feel like for a lot of schools, the ASDs are during the work week.

My dwindling vacation days can vouch for this.

I cannot leave my job (have days off) until the end of April so that rules out most ASDs for me.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”