Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
pack_85
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:25 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby pack_85 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:10 pm

lmsf wrote:Accepted to AJD, received email Tuesday afternoon. 174 LSAT/3.2 GPA/5 yr WE. I applied in mid-January.

Separate question: does anyone know if AJD students tend to end up with a lower GPA/ranking compared to the regular JD students because of the extra class they have to take every semester?



i am in the ajd program now, graduating 2014. i wouldn't really worry about this. most post-1L classes are not curved, which helps when taking extra hours. our faculty advisors are also pretty good at identifying ways to pick up extra credit hours...you don't necessarily need to take an extra class every semester. 1Ls in the 3yr program get the same curve anyway, i really believe you'd end up around the same spot gpa-wise regardless what program you're in. feel free to pm with any questions.

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby JayJones78 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:14 pm

BigZuck wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:So, it looks like tuesday will be decision day for me with NU for AJD. I am considering emailing them a LOCI Monday morning. Should I do it? They have a PS, resume, DS and a why NU AJD essay focusing specifically on why I'm interested/should be admitted, in addition to the on-campus interview I did in November. Would adding another particle to the app help or hurt it? I am very very interested in the prog and think that amid the low LSAT I can be a good fit. It also appears that my GPA is either in over above the AJD median and it's definitely above the 25th.
On one hand I want to maximize my chance before its too late. On the other hand I don't want to annoy them with too much information.

Thoughts/advice?
Thanks again for all the incredible help people give here on a daily basis.

Oh everyone should Netflix House Of Cards. Incredible.


I can't really see a LOCI helping considering you already wrote an essay saying why you are interested and should be admitted. Why would you have to show "continued interest" considering you have not withdrawn your application (not to mention the fact that a decision is imminent and they might have made up their minds already)? Don't really see it hurting either though.

I think all you can really do to help your cause is retake the LSAT. Obviously that isn't happening this cycle but if you don't get in and really want NU that is really all you can do.

Good luck, to you and all my other fellow waiters!


Thanks. All valid points. I can try and craft a 500 word essay of my continued interest and give some more reasons why to admit me. Although I do think that a decision has been made, but than again if the decision is made, why wasn't it released?

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby JayJones78 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:19 pm

pack_85 wrote:
lmsf wrote:Accepted to AJD, received email Tuesday afternoon. 174 LSAT/3.2 GPA/5 yr WE. I applied in mid-January.

Separate question: does anyone know if AJD students tend to end up with a lower GPA/ranking compared to the regular JD students because of the extra class they have to take every semester?



i am in the ajd program now, graduating 2014. i wouldn't really worry about this. most post-1L classes are not curved, which helps when taking extra hours. our faculty advisors are also pretty good at identifying ways to pick up extra credit hours...you don't necessarily need to take an extra class every semester. 1Ls in the 3yr program get the same curve anyway, i really believe you'd end up around the same spot gpa-wise regardless what program you're in. feel free to pm with any questions.


Sent you a PM.
Can you tell us more about the ajd? You like it? Would recommend it?
Thanks!!

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby JayJones78 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:16 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:So, it looks like tuesday will be decision day for me with NU for AJD. I am considering emailing them a LOCI Monday morning. Should I do it? They have a PS, resume, DS and a why NU AJD essay focusing specifically on why I'm interested/should be admitted, in addition to the on-campus interview I did in November. Would adding another particle to the app help or hurt it? I am very very interested in the prog and think that amid the low LSAT I can be a good fit. It also appears that my GPA is either in over above the AJD median and it's definitely above the 25th.
On one hand I want to maximize my chance before its too late. On the other hand I don't want to annoy them with too much information.

Thoughts/advice?
Thanks again for all the incredible help people give here on a daily basis.

Oh everyone should Netflix House Of Cards. Incredible.


I can't really see a LOCI helping considering you already wrote an essay saying why you are interested and should be admitted. Why would you have to show "continued interest" considering you have not withdrawn your application (not to mention the fact that a decision is imminent and they might have made up their minds already)? Don't really see it hurting either though.

I think all you can really do to help your cause is retake the LSAT. Obviously that isn't happening this cycle but if you don't get in and really want NU that is really all you can do.

Good luck, to you and all my other fellow waiters!


Thanks. All valid points. I can try and craft a 500 word essay of my continued interest and give some more reasons why to admit me. Although I do think that a decision has been made, but than again if the decision is made, why wasn't it released?


Any other thoughts on sending them something tomorrow over email?

LRGhost
Posts: 1869
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:49 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby LRGhost » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:02 pm

500 words is a lot. And dude, if they're deciding by Tuesday and you've already submitted all those materials, you cannot say anything unique and you'll just come off as sort of desperate. You've done all you can do. Now you wait.

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby JayJones78 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:12 pm

LRGhost wrote:500 words is a lot. And dude, if they're deciding by Tuesday and you've already submitted all those materials, you cannot say anything unique and you'll just come off as sort of desperate. You've done all you can do. Now you wait.


I somewhat agree :?
I just want to see that I'm maximizing everything. In some way I have nothing to loose, but I also don't want to annoy them with extra material.

User avatar
oaken
Posts: 339
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:27 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby oaken » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:09 pm

still haven't looked at all the financial aid applications to fill out. do they take a really long time?

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13915
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:13 pm

oaken wrote:still haven't looked at all the financial aid applications to fill out. do they take a really long time?

NeedAccess takes fucking forever.
FAFSA is quick, especially if you've done your taxes.
The NU app is basically 2 short essay questions (like 300-500 words or something), but you need to take them seriously or Johann gets miffed and you get no money.

User avatar
fruitoftheloom
Posts: 395
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:38 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby fruitoftheloom » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:21 pm

Thread is dead today.

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby JayJones78 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:23 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:Thread is dead today.


Just wait for tomorrow

fallingup
Posts: 481
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:34 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby fallingup » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:44 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:Thread is dead today.


Just wait for tomorrow


What's tomorrow?

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:45 pm

fallingup wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:Thread is dead today.


Just wait for tomorrow


What's tomorrow?


Judgment Day

fallingup
Posts: 481
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:34 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby fallingup » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:55 pm

Based on what?

User avatar
hhockberger
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:28 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby hhockberger » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:56 pm

fallingup wrote:Based on what?


There were huge waves of decisions the last 3 or 4 Tuesdays

User avatar
BlaqBella
Posts: 869
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:41 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby BlaqBella » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:08 pm

cusenation wrote:
fallingup wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:Thread is dead today.


Just wait for tomorrow


What's tomorrow?


Judgment Day


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby JayJones78 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:23 pm

BlaqBella wrote:
cusenation wrote:
fallingup wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:Thread is dead today.



What's tomorrow?


Judgment Day


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


:shock: 8) :oops: :roll:
this is my mood in the last few days.
re what's tomorrow: all the rest of the AJD applicants will hear if they are Chicago bound or nearest bar to wipe their tears bound

User avatar
danitt
Posts: 1984
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby danitt » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:32 pm

I'm currently at a baseline :| :| :| with NU because every time decisions come out mine isn't included so why get my hopes up anymore.

User avatar
GatorFan305
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:09 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby GatorFan305 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:47 pm

Does anyone know about Northwestern scholarship matching? I just got a scholarship from a school that's ranked higher, but Northwestern says on their website that they don't even start considering until March. I'd rather go to Northwestern if possible!

bobloblawstudent
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:46 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby bobloblawstudent » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:52 pm

hey everyone...

i am wondering if there are any current NU students or recent grads that can discuss why NU is a good school to go to?
I know it is a t-14 (albeit one of the lower ones) but still has excellent employment rates in certain areas. I was accepted a few weeks ago but i'm fresh out of undergrad and wondering if it will be more fruitful in the long run to take a year off (work/retake the lsat) and apply to the higher ranked schools. less interested in a discussion about the numbers game and weighing my chances of getting in somewhere else- i just want some solid advice about how NU is as a school and community.

thanks in advance to anyone who is able to help me out!

User avatar
bananasplit19
Posts: 686
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:53 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby bananasplit19 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:56 pm

bobloblawstudent wrote:hey everyone...

i am wondering if there are any current NU students or recent grads that can discuss why NU is a good school to go to?
I know it is a t-14 (albeit one of the lower ones) but still has excellent employment rates in certain areas. I was accepted a few weeks ago but i'm fresh out of undergrad and wondering if it will be more fruitful in the long run to take a year off (work/retake the lsat) and apply to the higher ranked schools. less interested in a discussion about the numbers game and weighing my chances of getting in somewhere else- i just want some solid advice about how NU is as a school and community.

thanks in advance to anyone who is able to help me out!

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=142200

165 pages for your viewing pleasure :-P

I don't suppose anyone is interpreting Johann's last tweet on Friday as indication that we'll see decisions this week on a not-Tuesday?

bobloblawstudent
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:46 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby bobloblawstudent » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:57 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:
bobloblawstudent wrote:hey everyone...

i am wondering if there are any current NU students or recent grads that can discuss why NU is a good school to go to?
I know it is a t-14 (albeit one of the lower ones) but still has excellent employment rates in certain areas. I was accepted a few weeks ago but i'm fresh out of undergrad and wondering if it will be more fruitful in the long run to take a year off (work/retake the lsat) and apply to the higher ranked schools. less interested in a discussion about the numbers game and weighing my chances of getting in somewhere else- i just want some solid advice about how NU is as a school and community.

thanks in advance to anyone who is able to help me out!

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=142200

165 pages for your viewing pleasure :-P


ahh great, thanks!

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13915
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:08 pm

GatorFan305 wrote:Does anyone know about Northwestern scholarship matching? I just got a scholarship from a school that's ranked higher, but Northwestern says on their website that they don't even start considering until March. I'd rather go to Northwestern if possible!
I imagine they won't think about matching until March because they don't even require the financial aid apps to be submitted by then. They apparently like their class to be more or less set before passing out the moneyz. Last year scholarship offers came out at the beginning of April.

User avatar
feralinfant
Posts: 887
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:54 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby feralinfant » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:43 pm

bobloblawstudent wrote:hey everyone...

i am wondering if there are any current NU students or recent grads that can discuss why NU is a good school to go to?
I know it is a t-14 (albeit one of the lower ones) but still has excellent employment rates in certain areas. I was accepted a few weeks ago but i'm fresh out of undergrad and wondering if it will be more fruitful in the long run to take a year off (work/retake the lsat) and apply to the higher ranked schools. less interested in a discussion about the numbers game and weighing my chances of getting in somewhere else- i just want some solid advice about how NU is as a school and community.

thanks in advance to anyone who is able to help me out!


that thread should help you see why NU is great (at least it seems that way to me). If nothing else the student body seems to be especially delightful. Northwestern students that i've heard from, which could be a limited sample size I admit, but they don't seem to hate on their classmates as much as other people. For example I had a Georgetown alum assure me I would hate 95% of my classmates there but that the other 5% would be "pretty cool". And oh yeah, Chicago FTW. But you should also probably know that taking a year off to work wouldn't really help you at any school (except NU which you've already gotten into). Retaking the LSAT of course can be a much different story. :)

User avatar
franklyscarlet
Posts: 2915
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby franklyscarlet » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:07 pm

bobloblawstudent wrote:hey everyone...

i am wondering if there are any current NU students or recent grads that can discuss why NU is a good school to go to?
I know it is a t-14 (albeit one of the lower ones) but still has excellent employment rates in certain areas. I was accepted a few weeks ago but i'm fresh out of undergrad and wondering if it will be more fruitful in the long run to take a year off (work/retake the lsat) and apply to the higher ranked schools. less interested in a discussion about the numbers game and weighing my chances of getting in somewhere else- i just want some solid advice about how NU is as a school and community.

thanks in advance to anyone who is able to help me out!


seconding what other people have said about checking the other threads out. Short version- this is a really damn friendly place to go to school. I'm pretty in love with my classmates, Northwestern, and Chicago in general.

User avatar
danitt
Posts: 1984
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby danitt » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:10 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
bobloblawstudent wrote:hey everyone...

i am wondering if there are any current NU students or recent grads that can discuss why NU is a good school to go to?
I know it is a t-14 (albeit one of the lower ones) but still has excellent employment rates in certain areas. I was accepted a few weeks ago but i'm fresh out of undergrad and wondering if it will be more fruitful in the long run to take a year off (work/retake the lsat) and apply to the higher ranked schools. less interested in a discussion about the numbers game and weighing my chances of getting in somewhere else- i just want some solid advice about how NU is as a school and community.

thanks in advance to anyone who is able to help me out!


seconding what other people have said about checking the other threads out. Short version- this is a really damn friendly place to go to school. I'm pretty in love with my classmates, Northwestern, and Chicago in general.

As a fellow islander I'm skeptical.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bloomsday, dddddd90, Keilz, pizzagoblin and 15 guests