Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Lear22
Posts: 275
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:17 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby Lear22 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:54 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:AFAIK in the legal field (and in a lot of other fields), an objective is never in order.

Just use the same one you submitted with your app. They'll already have seen that one, and to give them a different format that presents the same info seems unnecessarily complicated.


Haven't submitted my app yet, applying to the AJD prog.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:07 pm

Lear22 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:AFAIK in the legal field (and in a lot of other fields), an objective is never in order.

Just use the same one you submitted with your app. They'll already have seen that one, and to give them a different format that presents the same info seems unnecessarily complicated.


Haven't submitted my app yet, applying to the AJD prog.
So interpolate from my post. Remove the objective and use the resume that you will be submitting with your app.

Lear22
Posts: 275
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:17 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby Lear22 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:26 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Lear22 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:AFAIK in the legal field (and in a lot of other fields), an objective is never in order.

Just use the same one you submitted with your app. They'll already have seen that one, and to give them a different format that presents the same info seems unnecessarily complicated.


Haven't submitted my app yet, applying to the AJD prog.
So interpolate from my post. Remove the objective and use the resume that you will be submitting with your app.


Thanks! Will do.

Anyone else applying here to the AJD?

User avatar
StylinNProfilin
Posts: 405
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:27 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby StylinNProfilin » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:23 pm

I'm applying AJD too. As far as your resume q, I'm doing an off-campus interview and am using the same resume i'm using fo law school apps.

Lear22
Posts: 275
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:17 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby Lear22 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:08 pm

StylinNProfilin wrote:I'm applying AJD too. As far as your resume q, I'm doing an off-campus interview and am using the same resume i'm using fo law school apps.

cool. What made you decide to to apply to the AJD? I am interested in the prog but there is so little information about it here/online in general

User avatar
StylinNProfilin
Posts: 405
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:27 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby StylinNProfilin » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:24 pm

Well I'm older (4 years work experience) and love the idea of working a year earlier. definitely a great fit for someone who already knows what they want out of their law degree. and my numbers are waitlist material for the 3 yr program, hoping admission is a tiny bit easier into the AJD. Kinda hard to tell with such limited data.

Lear22
Posts: 275
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:17 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby Lear22 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:41 pm

StylinNProfilin wrote:Well I'm older (4 years work experience) and love the idea of working a year earlier. definitely a great fit for someone who already knows what they want out of their law degree. and my numbers are waitlist material for the 3 yr program, hoping admission is a tiny bit easier into the AJD. Kinda hard to tell with such limited data.


Yup, I agree with you on everything. My numbers a sub par and I am hopeful that the fact that I am taking the trip to Chicago regardless of my number will show my interest in the school. Also think that the AJD's entering class' number a below the 3 year JD, and I'll risk and say that they are below it by more than a little. From the stats it appears that they had 100 applications out of which they chose 38, so I remain hopeful..
Last edited by Lear22 on Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
StylinNProfilin
Posts: 405
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:27 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby StylinNProfilin » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:00 pm

yeah the accepetance rate is definitely quite high!

Lear22
Posts: 275
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:17 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby Lear22 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:10 pm

StylinNProfilin wrote:yeah the accepetance rate is definitely quite high!


yes, and I have a feeling that with declining app numbers they will probably see even fewer applicants this year. I just wished that there was more information about the prog and people who applied. I am a little worried about getting into OCI with only one semester worth of grades and no summer work to show employers

User avatar
StylinNProfilin
Posts: 405
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:27 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby StylinNProfilin » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:23 pm

From what I've read it appears that most people in the program did well in OCI. I think not having summer work is trumped by the previous substantial working experience the class has.

Lear22
Posts: 275
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:17 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby Lear22 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:28 pm

StylinNProfilin wrote:From what I've read it appears that most people in the program did well in OCI. I think not having summer work is trumped by the previous substantial working experience the class has.


could be. I am very interested in the prog and really hope that making the trip to Chicago, interviewing and showing interest would assist. Overall I still think it has some downsides but if it's AJD or nothing, I'd take it

sunshinegirl
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 2:19 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby sunshinegirl » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:54 am

Did most of you submit a work-centric PS? I have 2 years of WE, but I want to submit a PS about an extracurricular activity to Northwestern. However, I don't want it to look like I didn't tailor my PS to Northwestern (and its preference for WE).

Lear22
Posts: 275
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:17 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby Lear22 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:46 pm

On campus interview tomorrow morning. Any last minute things I should know? I was wondering if they interviewer would know I'm applying to the AJD and if they are going through my CAS records prior to the interview?

shntn
Posts: 5319
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby shntn » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:49 pm

sunshinegirl wrote:Did most of you submit a work-centric PS? I have 2 years of WE, but I want to submit a PS about an extracurricular activity to Northwestern. However, I don't want it to look like I didn't tailor my PS to Northwestern (and its preference for WE).

Nope, I didn't make it work-specific in the slightest.

User avatar
letitloose
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:13 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby letitloose » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:57 pm

part of my statement addressed my WE, but that wasn't the theme

criminaltheory
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:48 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby criminaltheory » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:30 pm

Lear22 wrote:On campus interview tomorrow morning. Any last minute things I should know? I was wondering if they interviewer would know I'm applying to the AJD and if they are going through my CAS records prior to the interview?


No, I don't think the interviewers look at your app even if you've already applied.

User avatar
alwayssunnyinfl
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:38 pm

criminaltheory wrote:
Lear22 wrote:On campus interview tomorrow morning. Any last minute things I should know? I was wondering if they interviewer would know I'm applying to the AJD and if they are going through my CAS records prior to the interview?


No, I don't think the interviewers look at your app even if you've already applied.

Yeah, I interviewed on campus and my interviewer told me that he doesn't see the file and isn't on the committee.

Lear22
Posts: 275
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:17 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby Lear22 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:18 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
criminaltheory wrote:
Lear22 wrote:On campus interview tomorrow morning. Any last minute things I should know? I was wondering if they interviewer would know I'm applying to the AJD and if they are going through my CAS records prior to the interview?


No, I don't think the interviewers look at your app even if you've already applied.

Yeah, I interviewed on campus and my interviewer told me that he doesn't see the file and isn't on the committee.


Well I hope he interviewer will know I'm coming in to interview for the AJD cause that changes the narrative or the interview as they saythy are looking for specific things In AJD candidates.

User avatar
alwayssunnyinfl
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:37 pm

I'm sure they know what they're doing

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby DoveBodyWash » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:53 pm

This is late but checking in.

Applied last year as an undergrad and got waitlisted. Got a job and re-applying. Good luck to all

User avatar
timeandspace11
Posts: 606
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:16 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby timeandspace11 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:22 pm

Sent in my app last night, have an interview on the 26th. This is definitely a reach school for me, but I am extremely impressed with NU and I love Chicago. You never know if you dont try I guess.

Lear22
Posts: 275
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:17 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby Lear22 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:15 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:I'm sure they know what they're doing


Was very happy from my on campus interview. I am not sure why some posters here said that a non admissions person interviews on campus, but mine was with a very nice admissions officer. The interview was 45 min long and used some of the questios from page 1 of this thread so I highly recommend going over them beforehand. Overall I felt I was very engaging with her and was able to convey everything I wanted to. I also geared my interview towards the AJD and asked specific questions about the program. She didnt have any new information that is not on the website but I still wanted to separate myself as an AJD candidate. She asked me aspects questions about my résumé ( I have 8+ years of combined work and military experience) so I also recommend being ready to give information on pervious positions.

Overall, I think the biggest advice I could give is to show interest in the school and program besides it being " a really good school ". My 'in' was the AJD (which is true, it's prob 90% of wh I am applying to NU) so I would think hard of why. Lastly, I think it should also be mentioned that you made the trip to Chicago just for the oppertunity to interview with them, spent time and money. I don't think it's something that should be taken for granted.

At the end of the interview the admissions officer gave me her card and I sent her a thank you email a few hours later.

Good luck! Chicago is really nice. Just really cold... (And it's only November!!)

onionz
Posts: 407
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:22 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby onionz » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:30 am

Lear22 wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:I'm sure they know what they're doing


Was very happy from my on campus interview. I am not sure why some posters here said that a non admissions person interviews on campus, but mine was with a very nice admissions officer. The interview was 45 min long and used some of the questios from page 1 of this thread so I highly recommend going over them beforehand. Overall I felt I was very engaging with her and was able to convey everything I wanted to. I also geared my interview towards the AJD and asked specific questions about the program. She didnt have any new information that is not on the website but I still wanted to separate myself as an AJD candidate. She asked me aspects questions about my résumé ( I have 8+ years of combined work and military experience) so I also recommend being ready to give information on pervious positions.

Overall, I think the biggest advice I could give is to show interest in the school and program besides it being " a really good school ". My 'in' was the AJD (which is true, it's prob 90% of wh I am applying to NU) so I would think hard of why. Lastly, I think it should also be mentioned that you made the trip to Chicago just for the oppertunity to interview with them, spent time and money. I don't think it's something that should be taken for granted.

At the end of the interview the admissions officer gave me her card and I sent her a thank you email a few hours later.

Good luck! Chicago is really nice. Just really cold... (And it's only November!!)


Mine said she was part of the admissions team, as did the business card, but when I looked her up on Linkedin, she was strictly an interviewer for NU.

Lear22
Posts: 275
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:17 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby Lear22 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:37 am

onionz wrote:
Lear22 wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:I'm sure they know what they're doing


Was very happy from my on campus interview. I am not sure why some posters here said that a non admissions person interviews on campus, but mine was with a very nice admissions officer. The interview was 45 min long and used some of the questios from page 1 of this thread so I highly recommend going over them beforehand. Overall I felt I was very engaging with her and was able to convey everything I wanted to. I also geared my interview towards the AJD and asked specific questions about the program. She didnt have any new information that is not on the website but I still wanted to separate myself as an AJD candidate. She asked me aspects questions about my résumé ( I have 8+ years of combined work and military experience) so I also recommend being ready to give information on pervious positions.

Overall, I think the biggest advice I could give is to show interest in the school and program besides it being " a really good school ". My 'in' was the AJD (which is true, it's prob 90% of wh I am applying to NU) so I would think hard of why. Lastly, I think it should also be mentioned that you made the trip to Chicago just for the oppertunity to interview with them, spent time and money. I don't think it's something that should be taken for granted.

At the end of the interview the admissions officer gave me her card and I sent her a thank you email a few hours later.

Good luck! Chicago is really nice. Just really cold... (And it's only November!!)


Mine said she was part of the admissions team, as did the business card, but when I looked her up on Linkedin, she was strictly an interviewer for NU.


The card of the one who interviewed me said: admissions officer. I didn't look her up on LinkedIn though, I think her business card is a fair testament though. I was very happy that I met her and not an interviewer, though I really don't know how it's going to impact anything.

Gisney
Posts: 403
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:32 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby Gisney » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:00 am

Still the only school I have not gone complete at because of my interview. I emailed them around the 4 week mark to check in and they said they were still trying to set something up in my area.

We will see




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Christinabruin, ellielaw, Pomegranate27 and 19 guests