Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
defdef

Bronze

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Post by defdef » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:33 am

hoping to make it in as well. 170/2.8/4 years WE. retaking in october, aiming for something that will net me an admit

criminaltheory

Bronze

Post by criminaltheory » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:20 am

scheduled my interview today, woohoo!

WhiteyCakes

Silver

Post by WhiteyCakes » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:38 am

Is anyone not doing an interview?

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:53 am

WhiteyCakes wrote:Is anyone not doing an interview?
If I was above both medians, I wouldn't bother.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:33 am

Crowing wrote:This is the one T-14 that I haven't decided 100% whether to apply or not. I understand their numbers are pretty splitter friendly and more forgiving in general, but I only have 3 months FT WE at this point and it's not at any sort of impressive job either.
I only had 8 months of WE when I applied and I had a terribad GPA (see my profile for stats). I worked a stupid desk job. You should apply!!

Also, Y'ALL SHOULD COME TO NORTHWESTERN!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously, it's the best choice I've ever made. I've been chatting with other students from different T14s and I keep hearing about how "everyone in our class is so socially awkward" and they hate their lives and how some of their profs are racist/assholes/mean/etc.

I happen to fucking LOVE my life. Everyone I've met has been spectacular, my professors are SO sweet (one of them asks "Can we have a conversation about this case?" before he cold calls...and provides a list of who gets called on what day so you can prepare), and the 2Ls/3Ls are incredibly supportive and sweet. I had a 2L who sold me his Civ Pro book email me 2 weeks later and offer me his outline for free for NO reason other than to be nice. That's the kind of school that Northwestern is.

Plus, Chicago is an AMAZING city. Awesome food, great public transit, cleaner than SF/LA/NY (I've lived in/been to all of them), great night life. Feel free to PM me with any questions you have. Also if you get in and come to NU, I will buy you a drink with DAT LOAN MONIEZ at ASW. (:

/shamelessNUtrolling<3

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:58 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:
WhiteyCakes wrote:Is anyone not doing an interview?
If I was above both medians, I wouldn't bother.
You gotta interview to make them lurve you and give you DAT scholarship money.

KanyeShrug

Silver

Post by KanyeShrug » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:05 pm

Crowing wrote: if you get in and come to NU, I will buy you a drink with DAT LOAN MONIEZ at ASW. (:
I'll take you up on that

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:13 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Crowing wrote:This is the one T-14 that I haven't decided 100% whether to apply or not. I understand their numbers are pretty splitter friendly and more forgiving in general, but I only have 3 months FT WE at this point and it's not at any sort of impressive job either.
I only had 8 months of WE when I applied and I had a terribad GPA (see my profile for stats). I worked a stupid desk job. You should apply!!

Also, Y'ALL SHOULD COME TO NORTHWESTERN!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously, it's the best choice I've ever made. I've been chatting with other students from different T14s and I keep hearing about how "everyone in our class is so socially awkward" and they hate their lives and how some of their profs are racist/assholes/mean/etc.

I happen to fucking LOVE my life. Everyone I've met has been spectacular, my professors are SO sweet (one of them asks "Can we have a conversation about this case?" before he cold calls...and provides a list of who gets called on what day so you can prepare), and the 2Ls/3Ls are incredibly supportive and sweet. I had a 2L who sold me his Civ Pro book email me 2 weeks later and offer me his outline for free for NO reason other than to be nice. That's the kind of school that Northwestern is.

Plus, Chicago is an AMAZING city. Awesome food, great public transit, cleaner than SF/LA/NY (I've lived in/been to all of them), great night life. Feel free to PM me with any questions you have. Also if you get in and come to NU, I will buy you a drink with DAT LOAN MONIEZ at ASW. (:

/shamelessNUtrolling<3
I can vouch for Crumps...she really does love it here that much. :wink: I can't muster up that much enthusiasm for, well, anything, but I echo the spirit of what she says.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:33 pm

KanyeShrug wrote:I'll take you up on that

Good...I like encouraging fellow alcoholics to attend :mrgreen:
rinkrat19 wrote:I can vouch for Crumps...she really does love it here that much. :wink: I can't muster up that much enthusiasm for, well, anything, but I echo the spirit of what she says.
^_^!!!! Srsly though, new applicants, I'm not making up what I say here. TBF we haven't hit finals yet, but I honestly have been floored by the support system and amazing group of friends I've developed here in just 2 weeks. Our professors are engaging, intelligent, sweet, and delightfully nerdy. People are sociable and nice.

And again, take this with a grain of salt because it's only week 2, but I've found all the readings are generally quite easy to keep up with. I have a 2.81 from UG (so clearly I don't have the best study skills :lol: ) and I'm 2 days ahead in reading in ALL my classes (and I still have a social life and work out). I imagine it will change in November when I'm prepping for finals, but honestly up until then I can't imagine it's all that bad.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 06102016 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:38 pm

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:45 pm

slack_academic wrote:So is the bias in favor of work experience overstated here? Just curious. I have no full time WE and very weak part time experience but competitive numbers. Is that going to be an issue for Northwestern?
It depends on your numbers and what you're looking for. From what I can tell, their WE #s went down slightly this year (probably due to the drop in test takers), but it's still probably around 93-95% with at least 1 year of WE (that means FT, post-graduate WE, not PT WE or WE that you did in UG). If you're above both medians, I wouldn't worry too much about it, UNLESS you want the $150,000 scholarship. If you look at last year's LSN #s, people with the #s for the scholarship but without any WE were rejected and accepted via RD.

If you've got lower stats (aka not above both medians), I'd be a little worried because it'll be kind of a crapshoot and will depend on how strong the applicant pool is this year.

MayBJack426

New

Post by MayBJack426 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:53 pm

What are NU's medians from this past year? Apologies if this has been updated in the median thread, but I didn't see it.

Thanks!

fruitoftheloom

Bronze

Post by fruitoftheloom » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:18 pm

I'm applying! I'm also going right after the LSAT for my interview. What do I have to do in Chicago? I'll be there for 3 days / 2 nights.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:50 pm

MayBJack426 wrote:What are NU's medians from this past year? Apologies if this has been updated in the median thread, but I didn't see it.

Thanks!
I don't think they've been released yet. (I actually think there was waitlist movement last week.)

Diamond

Post by 06102016 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:45 pm

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:52 pm

I squealed a little FOR you guys when I saw this thread. I'm with crumps on this- come see our beautiful law school and have your second drink on me. This is a wonderful place full of legitimately friendly people! If you have questions, feel free to ask here or PM. We're still in the honeymoon phase, but I don't think this love will fade (except for finals time, maybe, when we hate all the things).

As for what to do in Chicago:
*Definitely sit in on a class or two. The profs are characters and they're a ton of fun to watch
* Drink with TLSers
* Art Museum! Bring a student ID if you have one and it's not too pricey. It's massive and amazing- the kind of museum where you get lost and stumble into a room of Renoirs.
* Eat at Quartino, which is close to the school and awesome.
* Get some Chicago Style Pizza- I recommend Giordano's.
* Walk along the lake shore path to see the lake and the skyline (unless you come when it's freezing), or along the river.

Crumps, rink, things to add?

Dr. Filth

Silver

Post by Dr. Filth » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:56 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:I have a 2.81 from UG (so clearly I don't have the best study skills :lol: ) and I'm 2 days ahead in reading in ALL my classes (and I still have a social life and work out).
Probably the single most encouraging post about law school on this board.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:00 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:Image

I squealed a little FOR you guys when I saw this thread. I'm with crumps on this- come see our beautiful law school and have your second drink on me. This is a wonderful place full of legitimately friendly people!

As for what to do in Chicago:
*Definitely sit in on a class or two. The profs are characters and they're a ton of fun to watch
* Drink with TLSers
* Art Museum! Bring a student ID if you have one and it's not too pricey. It's massive and amazing- the kind of museum where you get lost and stumble into a room of Renoirs.
* Eat at Quartino, which is close to the school and awesome.
* Get some Chicago Style Pizza- I recommend Giordano's.
* Walk along the lake shore path to see the lake and the skyline (unless you come when it's freezing), or along the river.

Crumps, rink, things to add?
I prefer the Science or Field (natural history) museum to the Art Museum, but they are all amazing and it's just a personal taste thing.

Also, I prefer Gino's East and Lou Malnati's to Giordano's. Agree on everything else. :)

Lincoln Park Zoo
Cultural Center (old Chicago library building)
Grant/Millenium Park
Jackson Park
Oriental Institute at the University of Chicago
Cubs or White Sox

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:10 pm

NU was my UG and one of the coolest things I ever saw in Chicago was the Blue Man Group performance at the Briar Street Theatre.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:18 pm

Dr. Filth wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:I have a 2.81 from UG (so clearly I don't have the best study skills :lol: ) and I'm 2 days ahead in reading in ALL my classes (and I still have a social life and work out).
Probably the single most encouraging post about law school on this board.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: ! I also wrote my first assignment (ungraded, which makes this an even bigger deal) WAY in advance and days before a lot of my non-splitter peers even started. It doesn't mean I did it any better or that I'll end up with better grades, but it's a huge deal to me that I'm taking the initiative and doing the work in advance. In UG I was the "Oh it's 3 hours before the paper is due? Meh, I guess I should start." type.

To bring it back to NU: I would NOT be able to do this without the support of the friends I've made here. I know, uber-corny, but I'm serious. I have sectionmates who invite me to study sessions in the library and talk through cases with me when we're stuck. We grab food between classes and go drinking during the weekend and watch silly videos to decompress together. If I had to force myself to sit and read cases alone in my apartment every day, I would get bored SO fast. The people you surround yourself with really change the experience you have in all aspects of life, not just law school, and I'm SO grateful I get to spend 3 years with the people I'm with now.

GOD I am seriously so fucking lame in this thread, I'm so sorry. I just really like this school. :oops:

Dr. Filth

Silver

Post by Dr. Filth » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:23 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:I also wrote my first assignment (ungraded, which makes this an even bigger deal) WAY in advance and days before a lot of my non-splitter peers even started. It doesn't mean I did it any better or that I'll end up with better grades, but it's a huge deal to me that I'm taking the initiative and doing the work in advance. In UG I was the "Oh it's 3 hours before the paper is due? Meh, I guess I should start." type.
oh shit. you can't do this in law school? well, I'm out.

also, you're the best sales person that NU has.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:25 pm

Dr. Filth wrote: you're the best sales person that NU has.
That's super true. Crumps, you should really apply to the SBA admissions committee. Hell, they should just hire you in admissions.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:29 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
Dr. Filth wrote: you're the best sales person that NU has.
That's super true. Crumps, you should really apply to the SBA admissions committee. Hell, they should just hire you in admissions.
Crumps should be in charge of ASW.

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:30 pm

Can we schedule a TLS group visit?

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:31 pm

TheThriller wrote:Can we schedule a TLS group visit?
You missed that boat, I'm afraid, unless you can pop up this weekend.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”