Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
volp

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby volp » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:47 am

held today, same day as i received a js1. i assume this is yp?

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:10 am

volp wrote:held today, same day as i received a js1. i assume this is yp?

I don't think NU is YPing URMs right now. They probably want to look at you app compared to the class as a whole.

Enjoy your JS1 though and stop worrying about NU. :)

amf728

Postby amf728 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:48 am

Hey everyone, I'm looking for some guidance. My application went complete in November and has been sitting at that date. I wrote a "Why NU" essay as one of the optionals and I noticed that the box isn't checked. Should I email them, or not worry about it? I checked my LSAC report and it was definitely sent.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:00 pm

amf728 wrote:Hey everyone, I'm looking for some guidance. My application went complete in November and has been sitting at that date. I wrote a "Why NU" essay as one of the optionals and I noticed that the box isn't checked. Should I email them, or not worry about it? I checked my LSAC report and it was definitely sent.

Just shoot them an email or call. They are pretty nice and will gladly check it for you. That's why the office is there. I'd start with an email though.

Brian_music

Postby Brian_music » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:01 pm

Hey everyone, I'm looking for some guidance. My application went complete in November and has been sitting at that date. I wrote a "Why NU" essay as one of the optionals and I noticed that the box isn't checked. Should I email them, or not worry about it? I checked my LSAC report and it was definitely sent.

I think you should definitely follow up with them. I also sent an essay and my box is checked. It shows diligence that you are on top of it. Just be polite and ask them to verify that they have received your optional essay.

mosquito

Postby mosquito » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:07 pm

Is there any applicant for NU's 2 year JD program for international lawyers??

nsideirish

Postby nsideirish » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:17 pm

amf728 wrote:Hey everyone, I'm looking for some guidance. My application went complete in November and has been sitting at that date. I wrote a "Why NU" essay as one of the optionals and I noticed that the box isn't checked. Should I email them, or not worry about it? I checked my LSAC report and it was definitely sent.

I just realized my box isn't checked despite submitting the Why NU essay.

Please report back with how they respond.

amf728

Postby amf728 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:21 pm

nsideirish wrote:

I just emailed - hope to hear back soon. Thanks everyone!

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:23 pm

nsideirish wrote:

Honestly, why not contact them? I am always surprised by why applicants are worried what will happen if they contact the admissions office of a school asking about their app. (Not saying you're worried about calling, just making a comment). As long as you're not calling them everyday or 3 times a week and asking annoying questions everything will be fine. It's totally normal to contact them once or twice during the cycle if you're wondering about something specific (aka what's being discussed here and not asking them: so, what's up with my app??). That's part of why there is a person answering calls and emails.

nsideirish

Postby nsideirish » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:26 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
nsideirish wrote:

Honestly, why not contact them? I am always surprised by why applicants are worried what will happen if they contact the admissions office of a school asking about their app. (Not saying you're worried about calling, just making a comment). As long as you're not calling them everyday or 3 times a week and asking annoying questions everything will be fine. It's totally normal to contact them once or twice during the cycle if you're wondering about something specific (aka what's being discussed here and not asking them: so, what's up with my app??). That's part of why there is a person answering calls and emails.

I've contacted them a few times throughout the process with questions but I figure that since amf728 has the same problem as me, I'll see what they say to him first. Judging by Johann's tweets, the office is swamped and understaffed. Don't want to add any unneeded stress.

mohanster

Postby mohanster » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:30 pm

amf728 wrote:
nsideirish wrote:

I just emailed - hope to hear back soon. Thanks everyone!

Just FYI for the rest - Essay 2 on the application is the "Why NU" essay

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:34 pm

nsideirish wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
nsideirish wrote:

I've contacted them a few times throughout the process with questions but I figure that since amf728 has the same problem as me, I'll see what they say to him first. Judging by Johann's tweets, the office is swamped and understaffed. Don't want to add any unneeded stress.

Understandable. Like I said, I wasn't making a personal comment on your situation just a general one. I agree that people shouldn't call or email about stuff that can be so easily resolved by checking other venues. But if someone has a specific issues that can't be resolved otherwise and he/she hasn't contacted the office annoyingly it's better to check and see than just sit back only to realize later that they never got it from LSAC, for example.

steakandchicken

Postby steakandchicken » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:43 pm

nsideirish wrote:Judging by Johann's tweets, the office is swamped and understaffed. Don't want to add any unneeded stress.

I found the admissions staff to be really pleasant and fast to respond. I requested a fee waiver from them on 1/6, they responded that all fee waivers go through CRS. So I figured I didn't qualify and applied. The next day got an email saying I was given a fee waiver. I asked if there was anything that could be done and they responded very quickly and politely about the process. They were even pleasant when I forgot to attach a document they requested. Overall, I was really impressed.

It does sound like they are stressed, but if they are responsive and helpful when I'm asking for a refund, I am sure they will be just as gracious when answering questions about your application. I would just write a nice email acknowledging that they have a lot going on and you wanted to make sure that your application was properly received. It is my impression that there are some folks who demand things from their office and that Johann does not like when people act entitled to special treatment. That's not what you're asking for, so as long as you are polite, I think you're in good shape. Good luck!

amf728

Postby amf728 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:58 pm

steakandchicken wrote:
nsideirish wrote:Judging by Johann's tweets, the office is swamped and understaffed. Don't want to add any unneeded stress.

I found the admissions staff to be really pleasant and fast to respond. I requested a fee waiver from them on 1/6, they responded that all fee waivers go through CRS. So I figured I didn't qualify and applied. The next day got an email saying I was given a fee waiver. I asked if there was anything that could be done and they responded very quickly and politely about the process. They were even pleasant when I forgot to attach a document they requested. Overall, I was really impressed.

It does sound like they are stressed, but if they are responsive and helpful when I'm asking for a refund, I am sure they will be just as gracious when answering questions about your application. I would just write a nice email acknowledging that they have a lot going on and you wanted to make sure that your application was properly received. It is my impression that there are some folks who demand things from their office and that Johann does not like when people act entitled to special treatment. That's not what you're asking for, so as long as you are polite, I think you're in good shape. Good luck!

Just heard back - was not expecting such a quick response. She actually apologized for the confusion and confirmed that they had it. She also updated my status checker to reflect this. <3 NU.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:59 pm

amf728 wrote:
steakandchicken wrote:

Just heard back - was not expecting such a quick response. She actually apologized for the confusion and confirmed that they had it. She also updated my status checker to reflect this. <3 NU.

Happy it got resolved!

steakandchicken

Postby steakandchicken » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:02 pm

amf728 wrote:
steakandchicken wrote:

Glad to hear it!

nsideirish

Postby nsideirish » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:03 pm

amf728 wrote:
steakandchicken wrote:

Same. Damn that was fast. I've waited much longer (sometimes days) for responses from some other schools for simpler inquiries.

Volforlife

Postby Volforlife » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:04 pm

nsideirish wrote:Judging by Johann's tweets, the office is swamped and understaffed.

Heard dat. I felt bad interviewing yesterday after I heard about the tweet.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:06 pm

I think that the next wave of decisions will only come out Friday, sadly.
My AJD heart can't take this much longer.

fruitoftheloom

Postby fruitoftheloom » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:15 pm

Rooting for you Jay! Si se puede!!

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:22 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:Rooting for you Jay! Si se puede!!

Thanks!! I still keep my expectations low so I won't get stung as bad. I only hope they'll look past my LSAT and see that it's a great fit. NU I promise I'll love a d cherish you till the end of time.

mosquito

Postby mosquito » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:26 pm

JayJones78 wrote:

Thanks!! I still keep my expectations low so I won't get stung as bad. I only hope they'll look past my LSAT and see that it's a great fit. NU I promise I'll love a d cherish you till the end of time.

+1 just cannot love NU more!!!! Bless me in :!:

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:29 pm

mosquito wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:

Rooting for you and me both!!
Are you AJD too?

mosquito

Postby mosquito » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:38 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
mosquito wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:

Are you AJD too?

No. I'm applying for 2-year JD for international lawyers program.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:43 pm

mosquito wrote:
mosquito wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:

Are you AJD too?

No. I'm applying for 2-year JD for international lawyers program.[/quote]

Good luck!
I assume they won't release any decisions until Friday :cry:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”