Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
MAHamlin

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby MAHamlin » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:22 pm

mrizza wrote:
MAHamlin wrote:Checking in. 4.04/172 non-traditional student (30+, married with kids). Northwestern is one of my top schools. I have family in the Lincoln Park area, there are excellent career opportunities for my wife there, it's near my current home (Indianapolis), and the student body seems to be a bit closer to my age then many other campuses.

Submitted 12/19
Complete 12/20
Most recent update 1/14

you should have applied ED if its really one of your top choices... Pretty sure you'd be a lock for it.

True. Unfortunately my wife and I were still (and in some ways are still) debating the merits of leaving Indianapolis when the ED deadline came and passed. I just wasn't prepared at that time to put all my eggs in one basket. I hope it doesn't cost me too dearly.

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:36 pm

MAHamlin wrote:
mrizza wrote:
MAHamlin wrote:Checking in. 4.04/172 non-traditional student (30+, married with kids). Northwestern is one of my top schools. I have family in the Lincoln Park area, there are excellent career opportunities for my wife there, it's near my current home (Indianapolis), and the student body seems to be a bit closer to my age then many other campuses.

Submitted 12/19
Complete 12/20
Most recent update 1/14

you should have applied ED if its really one of your top choices... Pretty sure you'd be a lock for it.

True. Unfortunately my wife and I were still (and in some ways are still) debating the merits of leaving Indianapolis when the ED deadline came and passed. I just wasn't prepared at that time to put all my eggs in one basket. I hope it doesn't cost me too dearly.

Good luck! Please consider that $150,000 is worth a year of waiting, if it comes down to that.

onionz

Postby onionz » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:38 pm

francesfarmer wrote:
MAHamlin wrote:
mrizza wrote:

Submitted 12/19
Complete 12/20
Most recent update 1/14

Good luck! Please consider that $150,000 is worth a year of waiting, if it comes down to that.

Be sure to check with them that they will offer the plan again next year, before deciding not to attend this year.

megagnarley

Postby megagnarley » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:44 pm

francesfarmer wrote:
MAHamlin wrote:
mrizza wrote:

Submitted 12/19
Complete 12/20
Most recent update 1/14

I thought this was flame.

Is ED really full ride?

And if so....wut

letitloose

Postby letitloose » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:47 pm

Yep, if you're accepted ED it's $50k/year.

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:48 pm

onionz wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:Good luck! Please consider that $150,000 is worth a year of waiting, if it comes down to that.

Be sure to check with them that they will offer the plan again next year, before deciding not to attend this year.

Oh yeah definitely make sure they still offer the full ride next year.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:49 pm

francesfarmer wrote:
onionz wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:Good luck! Please consider that $150,000 is worth a year of waiting, if it comes down to that.

Oh yeah definitely make sure they still offer the full ride next year.

+1

Fitz51

Postby Fitz51 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:58 pm

Why would it be a flame?

WhatOurBodiesAreFor

Postby WhatOurBodiesAreFor » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:11 pm

Just learned of the WL/hold debacle. Feeling a little better.

amsong

Postby amsong » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:29 pm

My letter has also mysteriously changed to a hold letter. I guess I'll call them tomorrow just to clear up. I already filled out the waitlist form thingy, and now I've filled out the hold form thingy. Confusion all around!

bananasplit19

Postby bananasplit19 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:47 pm

WhatOurBodiesAreFor wrote:Just learned of the WL/hold debacle. Feeling a little better.

I'm still waiting for decision, but I'm curious: what's the story here? A bunch of people got WL decisions but got hold letters instead? What's NU's explanation?

WhatOurBodiesAreFor

Postby WhatOurBodiesAreFor » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:55 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:
WhatOurBodiesAreFor wrote:Just learned of the WL/hold debacle. Feeling a little better.

I'm still waiting for decision, but I'm curious: what's the story here? A bunch of people got WL decisions but got hold letters instead? What's NU's explanation?

Look back from mid-page 82 to see it unfold. All I know I was WL'd on Tuesday afternoon and 30 minutes ago I checked and it said held. There isn't anything anywhere notifying the applicant of the mistake. (They did tweet something out though).

simplycatalina

Postby simplycatalina » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:17 pm

Random side note if you guys don't mind helping. I have my on-campus interview tomorrow and I have answers prepared for all of the questions that I found on here in the NU interview threads. I went through the majority I could find. I was just wondering if anyone who recently had an on-campus interview had anything new or unusual thrown at them. Thanks for your help!
Last edited by simplycatalina on Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:23 pm

cbarlow1016 wrote:Random side note if you guys don't mind helping. I have my on-campus interview tomorrow and I have questions prepared for all of the questions that I found on here in the NU interview threads. I went through the majority I could find. I was just wondering if anyone who recently had an on-campus interview had anything new or unusual thrown at them. Thanks for your help!

Current student so my experience is outdated, but be prepared to describe the points on your resume, and be ready to go off book. My interviewer got really interested in my last job and we spent awhile talking about that. That being said, they're super friendly in admissions. don't worry!

simplycatalina

Postby simplycatalina » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:27 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
cbarlow1016 wrote:Random side note if you guys don't mind helping. I have my on-campus interview tomorrow and I have questions prepared for all of the questions that I found on here in the NU interview threads. I went through the majority I could find. I was just wondering if anyone who recently had an on-campus interview had anything new or unusual thrown at them. Thanks for your help!

Current student so my experience is outdated, but be prepared to describe the points on your resume, and be ready to go off book. My interviewer got really interested in my last job and we spent awhile talking about that. That being said, they're super friendly in admissions. don't worry!

Ok great, thanks so much!! :) I interviewed at Google for a legal position recently and had all sorts of crazy questions thrown at me so I was just hoping to avoid anything like that. But from what I've read it sounds relatively laid back.

az21833

Postby az21833 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:34 pm

my on campus is this thursday so i second the request for guidance, was this discussed in detail somewhere earlier? if so i can just refer to that. thanks all!!!

simplycatalina

Postby simplycatalina » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:40 pm

az21833 wrote:my on campus is this thursday so i second the request for guidance, was this discussed in detail somewhere earlier? if so i can just refer to that. thanks all!!!

this is the guide i found before. if you scroll down i think it's the 4th or 5th post: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=200887

but yeah i'd appreciate any more guidance i can get!! also just arrived in Chicago from SF and i'm freezing, idk if i can handle this weather. :)

Volforlife

Postby Volforlife » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:36 pm

After finding out I was held instead of WL, I scheduled an interview for Tuesday. Anybody else in town for an interview Monday - Wednesday?

11am

Postby 11am » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:55 am

I have a question. Not sure if anyone could provide advice though... :(

I applied to the NU Accelerated JD program and due to some recent developments in my personal situation, I might not be able to attend school that early, assuming that I get accepted that is.
Has anyone on this forum applied to the AJD program?
What would be a good approach here? Should I withdraw and apply again, though kind of late in the process, to the traditional JD program?
Or should I wait till a decision comes out and then ask the admissions office on this. Or alternatively, I guess I could ask them to consider me for the traditional program, but this would definitely look bad on me I guess.
If push comes to shove and if I DO actually get accepted, then I guess I will have to try my best to attend the AJD classes, but wanted to see if any of you have some view on this.

Any advice would be VERY helpful. Thanks!!

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:58 am

This probably have been asked a thousand times but what are the anecdotal stories of someone who got in via RD choosing to defer one year and reapplying ED? Would absolutely suck if someone deferred a year and then got ding'ed off of ED.

Postby 20141023 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:48 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lsacqueen

Postby lsacqueen » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:34 am

kappycaft1 wrote:
cbarlow1016 wrote:
az21833 wrote:my on campus is this thursday so i second the request for guidance, was this discussed in detail somewhere earlier? if so i can just refer to that. thanks all!!!

this is the guide i found before. if you scroll down i think it's the 4th or 5th post: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=200887

but yeah i'd appreciate any more guidance i can get!! also just arrived in Chicago from SF and i'm freezing, idk if i can handle this weather. :)

I didn't really cover this in the interview thread because I didn't go into the details of my own off-site interview with Northwestern, but just for your information, I will provide a little information here. (Again, this was off-site with an alumnus who was a partner at a large law firm, so it will likely be different that your on-site interviews.)

There was a set of questions that my NU interviewer threw at me towards the end of my interview which I wasn't really prepared for nor was I able to confidently address. The round of questions started off with my interviewer asking me what my LSAT score was. When I told him that I had received a 166, he made the comment that my score was lower than his had been, and then he asked me if I knew what NU's median score was. After mentioning that I knew the median was 170, he asked me if I wanted to go to Harvard. I stumbled here and was like "Well... yes, but that doesn't mean that I don't want to be admitted by Northwestern." In response to my answer, my interviewer proceeded to say something along the lines of "if you had gotten a better LSAT score, you wouldn't have applied to Northwestern and we wouldn't be having this interview." (Although this was true, I had no idea what to say after that, so there was an awkward silence before he picked up and went on to some other questions.)

Hopefully the on-site interviewers won't ask you stuff like this, but there is really no way to completely prepare for an interview because no 2 interviews are the same. Just be (and know) yourself and hopefully everything goes well! (And, of course, prepare general answers to the questions in the interview thread just to be safe.)

Wow, that sounds like a horrible interview. The interviewer sounds like kind of a d***

Anyway, I think refusing to interview really hurt my chances here. Thinking about withdrawing, but also perhaps sticking it out because it might help me leverage for $$ at Uchicago? Thoughts? Or does Uchicago not really view NU as a peer.

mohanster

Postby mohanster » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:03 am

11am wrote:I have a question. Not sure if anyone could provide advice though... :(

I applied to the NU Accelerated JD program and due to some recent developments in my personal situation, I might not be able to attend school that early, assuming that I get accepted that is.
What would be a good approach here? Should I withdraw and apply again, though kind of late in the process, to the traditional JD program?
Or should I wait till a decision comes out and then ask the admissions office on this. Or alternatively, I guess I could ask them to consider me for the traditional program, but this would definitely look bad on me I guess.
If push comes to shove and if I DO actually get accepted, then I guess I will have to try my best to attend the AJD classes, but wanted to see if any of you have some view on this.

I don't think you shouldn't wait any further on informing them about your situation. The AJD program has very limited acceptances and applicants (38 and 28 last year). They perhaps expect most people to join - if you inform them about the change once the decision is made - it may reflect poorly on u and they might be annoyed as well. Chances are they won't merge you with the RD class.

You can detail your situation to them and I think they would be able to make an exception for you and consider you in RD instead. There is a tradeoff since it's a little late but in my experience NU admits are not much affected by the time cycle.

11am

Postby 11am » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:23 am

mohanster wrote:
11am wrote:I have a question. Not sure if anyone could provide advice though... :(

If push comes to shove and if I DO actually get accepted, then I guess I will have to try my best to attend the AJD classes, but wanted to see if any of you have soThanks me view on this.

I don't think you shouldn't wait any further on informing them about your situation. The AJD program has very limited acceptances and applicants (38 and 28 last year). They perhaps expect most people to join - if you inform them about the change once the decision is made - it may reflect poorly on u and they might be annoyed as well. Chances are they won't merge you with the RD class.

You can detail your situation to them and I think they would be able to make an exception for you and consider you in RD instead. There is a tradeoff since it's a little late but in my experience NU admits are not much affected by the time cycle.

Thanks mohanster.

I agree that they might be annoyed if I inform them after a decision is made.
Cannot get myself to write them an email on this though. Think NU is just gonna hate me for this!

shntn

Postby shntn » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:31 am

cookiejar1 wrote:This probably have been asked a thousand times but what are the anecdotal stories of someone who got in via RD choosing to defer one year and reapplying ED? Would absolutely suck if someone deferred a year and then got ding'ed off of ED.

Also mildly curious.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”