Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
HawkeyeGirl
Posts: 459
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:13 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby HawkeyeGirl » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:40 pm

shntn wrote:
HawkeyeGirl wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:I can see the beach. The water is iced over. :lol:

Been here since August 1 and I have not yet set foot on sand. It's too fucking hot and humid to go outdoors...and then it's cold and dry. I missed the 15 minutes in between.


August can blow, but May/June is AMAZING and July has its moments if it doesn't get too hot..

Sunny and I went in September, and it was lovely. Just a little nippy, but still pretty damn picturesque.


I'm a huge fan of the campus and Chicago in general. Now they just need to let me in!!! Even though I'm not supposed to hear til early to mid March, I'm still getting the anxiety that you guys have over the relatively few admits!!

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13910
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:52 pm

I just ventured out for 20 minutes to go take photos of the frozen lake. Top half was fine in a coat/hat/scarf, but I could've used some tights under my jeans! :lol:

Image Image Image

nba101790
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:05 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby nba101790 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:55 pm

A few degrees colder and I'm taking my ice skates down to the lake.

User avatar
HawkeyeGirl
Posts: 459
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:13 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby HawkeyeGirl » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:55 pm

Wow! That's crazy! Really cool pics! I live by the river and it is not frozen...

I had the same problem walking to work this morning. My coat is knee-length but that still didn't help.. Jeans aren't warm enough for this weather!!

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby JayJones78 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:10 pm

HawkeyeGirl wrote:
shntn wrote:
HawkeyeGirl wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:I can see the beach. The water is iced over. :lol:

Been here since August 1 and I have not yet set foot on sand. It's too fucking hot and humid to go outdoors...and then it's cold and dry. I missed the 15 minutes in between.


August can blow, but May/June is AMAZING and July has its moments if it doesn't get too hot..

Sunny and I went in September, and it was lovely. Just a little nippy, but still pretty damn picturesque.


I'm a huge fan of the campus and Chicago in general. Now they just need to let me in!!! Even though I'm not supposed to hear til early to mid March, I'm still getting the anxiety that you guys have over the relatively few admits!!


Just wondering, what do you like about the Chicago campus?

shntn
Posts: 5319
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby shntn » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:11 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
Just wondering, what do you like about the Chicago campus?

So cute! And the area around it is just wonderful.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13910
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:18 pm

JayJones78 wrote:Just wondering, what do you like about the Chicago campus?
Campus is nice. It's not big (only 3 connected buildings), but there are plenty of places to study or socialize. They weren't stingy about giving lake views to student areas, so most of the library has a view. We all complain about the different classrooms for various reasons, but in reality they're 100x better than anything I saw in UG (granted, I was at a state school, 10 years ago) and overall pretty convenient/comfortable. With all the buildings being interconnected, there are three ways to get everywhere so there are never traffic jams, even when the 1L doctrinal classes get out and half the student body is moving at once.
There's only one place to get food on campus, but it's quite good and reasonably priced, and there are a fair number of options not far from campus.

User avatar
alwayssunnyinfl
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:25 pm

My favorite thing about the campus: No undergrad students.

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby JayJones78 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:26 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:Just wondering, what do you like about the Chicago campus?
Campus is nice. It's not big (only 3 connected buildings), but there are plenty of places to study or socialize. They weren't stingy about giving lake views to student areas, so most of the library has a view. We all complain about the different classrooms for various reasons, but in reality they're 100x better than anything I saw in UG (granted, I was at a state school, 10 years ago) and overall pretty convenient/comfortable. With all the buildings being interconnected, there are three ways to get everywhere so there are never traffic jams, even when the 1L doctrinal classes get out and half the student body is moving at once.
There's only one place to get food on campus, but it's quite good and reasonably priced, and there are a fair number of options not far from campus.


Thanks. I visited and after my interview I toured around and really liked what I saw. Too bad there's really no where to live in walking distance from school

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13910
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:27 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:Just wondering, what do you like about the Chicago campus?
Campus is nice. It's not big (only 3 connected buildings), but there are plenty of places to study or socialize. They weren't stingy about giving lake views to student areas, so most of the library has a view. We all complain about the different classrooms for various reasons, but in reality they're 100x better than anything I saw in UG (granted, I was at a state school, 10 years ago) and overall pretty convenient/comfortable. With all the buildings being interconnected, there are three ways to get everywhere so there are never traffic jams, even when the 1L doctrinal classes get out and half the student body is moving at once.
There's only one place to get food on campus, but it's quite good and reasonably priced, and there are a fair number of options not far from campus.


Thanks. I visited and after my interview I toured around and really liked what I saw. Too bad there's really no where to live in walking distance from school
I would say at least half the 1L class lives within 4 blocks. I live 3 blocks away.

User avatar
HawkeyeGirl
Posts: 459
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:13 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby HawkeyeGirl » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:28 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
Just wondering, what do you like about the Chicago campus?


I don't go there (yet) but the area around the law school and hospital is really pretty. Correct me if I'm wrong current students, but it definitely feels very campus-y around there yet you're obviously in the city and get all the conveniences of the city. And obv you can't beat the lake views.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13910
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:38 pm

HawkeyeGirl wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
Just wondering, what do you like about the Chicago campus?


I don't go there (yet) but the area around the law school and hospital is really pretty. Correct me if I'm wrong current students, but it definitely feels very campus-y around there yet you're obviously in the city and get all the conveniences of the city. And obv you can't beat the lake views.

Campus-y...? Eh. I wouldn't say that, not really. Most of the "campus" is taken up by several functioning hospitals and medical centers. It's not like there's any sort of quad or commons, and you see more doctors, nurses and patients walking around than people who are obviously students.

User avatar
teiswei
Posts: 695
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:50 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby teiswei » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:39 pm

JayJones78 wrote:Thanks. I visited and after my interview I toured around and really liked what I saw. Too bad there's really no where to live in walking distance from school

I live on the river about a mile and a half southwest (next door to ogilvie) and could walk during the nicer months and a bus takes me door to door during the times like today. The area immediately surrounding the campus is incredibly touristy and not my cup if tea. But old town and Gold Coast are close and less invaded by outsiders.

nba101790
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:05 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby nba101790 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:42 pm

teiswei wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:Thanks. I visited and after my interview I toured around and really liked what I saw. Too bad there's really no where to live in walking distance from school

I live on the river about a mile and a half southwest (next door to ogilvie) and could walk during the nicer months and a bus takes me door to door during the times like today. The area immediately surrounding the campus is incredibly touristy and not my cup if tea. But old town and Gold Coast are close and less invaded by outsiders.


Agreed.

There are plenty of rental buildings (as well as sublets in the many, many condos north of Chicago Ave in Streeterville) within a 15 minute walk of the campus. In particular, the area a few blocks west by Loyola's Business and Law schools has a glut of them. It's all quite touristy though.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13910
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:43 pm

teiswei wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:Thanks. I visited and after my interview I toured around and really liked what I saw. Too bad there's really no where to live in walking distance from school

I live on the river about a mile and a half southwest (next door to ogilvie) and could walk during the nicer months and a bus takes me door to door during the times like today. The area immediately surrounding the campus is incredibly touristy and not my cup if tea. But old town and Gold Coast are close and less invaded by outsiders.

See, I feel like as long as you stay off Michigan Ave. and don't go onto Navy Pier, it's not too horribly touristy. Trying to walk anywhere on Michigan is ghastly (midwesterners walk SO SLOWLY it makes me want to shove them in front of a bus), but go one block towards the lake and it's much calmer.

User avatar
teiswei
Posts: 695
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:50 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby teiswei » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:48 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
teiswei wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:Thanks. I visited and after my interview I toured around and really liked what I saw. Too bad there's really no where to live in walking distance from school

I live on the river about a mile and a half southwest (next door to ogilvie) and could walk during the nicer months and a bus takes me door to door during the times like today. The area immediately surrounding the campus is incredibly touristy and not my cup if tea. But old town and Gold Coast are close and less invaded by outsiders.

See, I feel like as long as you stay off Michigan Ave. and don't go onto Navy Pier, it's not too horribly touristy. Trying to walk anywhere on Michigan is ghastly (midwesterners walk SO SLOWLY it makes me want to shove them in front of a bus), but go one block towards the lake and it's much calmer.

I agree however the bars and restaurants aren't free of it. Where if you move west or north you will find a more authentic Chicago ambiance. Just my personal opinion. I love living within reach of all public transit and can walk almost anywhere within 20 minutes.

User avatar
HawkeyeGirl
Posts: 459
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:13 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby HawkeyeGirl » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:51 pm

teiswei wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:Thanks. I visited and after my interview I toured around and really liked what I saw. Too bad there's really no where to live in walking distance from school

I live on the river about a mile and a half southwest (next door to ogilvie) and could walk during the nicer months and a bus takes me door to door during the times like today. The area immediately surrounding the campus is incredibly touristy and not my cup if tea. But old town and Gold Coast are close and less invaded by outsiders.


We live freakishly close to each other O.O I'm a few blocks north of the Loop on the river...

I lived in the middle of the hospital campus at my UG, so I guess that's why it feels really campus-y to me haha.

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby JayJones78 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:00 pm

HawkeyeGirl wrote:
teiswei wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:Thanks. I visited and after my interview I toured around and really liked what I saw. Too bad there's really no where to live in walking distance from school

I live on the river about a mile and a half southwest (next door to ogilvie) and could walk during the nicer months and a bus takes me door to door during the times like today. The area immediately surrounding the campus is incredibly touristy and not my cup if tea. But old town and Gold Coast are close and less invaded by outsiders.


We live freakishly close to each other O.O I'm a few blocks north of the Loop on the river...

I lived in the middle of the hospital campus at my UG, so I guess that's why it feels really campus-y to me haha.


Good to know that there are places to live close to campus. I didn't see any when I visited. I personally hate busses and wish there was a different way for public transit :roll:

User avatar
teiswei
Posts: 695
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:50 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby teiswei » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:02 pm

JayJones78 wrote:Good to know that there are places to live close to campus. I didn't see any when I visited. I personally hate busses and wish there was a different way for public transit :roll:

There are several. The L isn't bad at all, walking and biking are common and you could always get a Segway ;)

Edit: some folks rollerblade and have razor scooters in the loop!

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby JayJones78 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:04 pm

teiswei wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:Good to know that there are places to live close to campus. I didn't see any when I visited. I personally hate busses and wish there was a different way for public transit :roll:

There are several. The L isn't bad at all, walking and biking are common and you could always get a Segway ;)


Hahaha re Segway 8)
I found the L useful but at the same time a little annoying cause you can't really relay on it completely (at least not as far as I saw in my 3 day visit). Do people take their bikes on it/is it allowed? If so it can be a nice combo of bike/L

helpplease
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:12 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby helpplease » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:08 pm

Sorry to shy away from what seems like a thrilling conversation regarding freezing temperatures and living arrangements (LOL), but I had a serious questions that I really wanted to ask...

Would anybody consider going to northwestern at sticker? It's one of my dream schools, but if I get in...probably not getting any $$.

User avatar
teiswei
Posts: 695
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:50 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby teiswei » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:09 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
teiswei wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:Good to know that there are places to live close to campus. I didn't see any when I visited. I personally hate busses and wish there was a different way for public transit :roll:

There are several. The L isn't bad at all, walking and biking are common and you could always get a Segway ;)


Hahaha re Segway 8)
I found the L useful but at the same time a little annoying cause you can't really relay on it completely (at least not as far as I saw in my 3 day visit). Do people take their bikes on it/is it allowed? If so it can be a nice combo of bike/L

They do but I think you aren't allowed during rush hour times. No where would be outside of biking distance though. Even lake view and Lincoln Park would be a quick ride.

User avatar
feralinfant
Posts: 887
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:54 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby feralinfant » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:09 pm

helpplease wrote:Sorry to shy away from what seems like a thrilling conversation regarding freezing temperatures and living arrangements (LOL), but I had a serious questions that I really wanted to ask...

Would anybody consider going to northwestern at sticker? It's one of my dream schools, but if I get in...probably not getting any $$.


this guy. just a reality with my gpa.

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby JayJones78 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:12 pm

teiswei wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
teiswei wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:Good to know that there are places to live close to campus. I didn't see any when I visited. I personally hate busses and wish there was a different way for public transit :roll:

There are several. The L isn't bad at all, walking and biking are common and you could always get a Segway ;)


Hahaha re Segway 8)
I found the L useful but at the same time a little annoying cause you can't really relay on it completely (at least not as far as I saw in my 3 day visit). Do people take their bikes on it/is it allowed? If so it can be a nice combo of bike/L

They do but I think you aren't allowed during rush hour times. No where would be outside of biking distance though. Even lake view and Lincoln Park would be a quick ride.


Thanks! I stayed with my friend who lives in lake view (I think? There's a big trader joes on the main road) and liked the area. I'm really hoping to sell my car/not come with it to law school

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby JayJones78 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:13 pm

feralinfant wrote:
helpplease wrote:Sorry to shy away from what seems like a thrilling conversation regarding freezing temperatures and living arrangements (LOL), but I had a serious questions that I really wanted to ask...

Would anybody consider going to northwestern at sticker? It's one of my dream schools, but if I get in...probably not getting any $$.


this guy. just a reality with my gpa.


+1
With my LSAT if they accept me I'll run




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Christinabruin, ericb1228, Google Adsense [Bot], hopstoopid, JazzyMac, jyzhao3, lawlzi, ramp_999 and 9 guests