Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
allyjune

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby allyjune » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:23 pm

So I have a bit of a conundrum that I thought someone might be able to shed some light on:

I am currently active duty and am applying to law school through the Navy's Law Education Program. You have to get selected into the program and then the Navy decides where they will send you to school. Thus far in the admission cycle I have been accepted to George Washington, Vanderbilt, and USD. USD also offered me a decent amount of scholarship money. However, Northwestern is my first choice. The Navy JAG board meets in a couple of weeks and I am required to turn in all acceptance letters to the board prior to its convening. My fear is that, when the board sees an acceptance letter from USD that includes scholarship money (which translates to saving the Navy money) but they have nothing from Northwestern, it will be an easy decision for them to send me to USD.

In light of the situation, would it be appropriate to contact the admissions committee and politely request that they review my application sooner rather than later? I would hate to miss an opportunity to study at Northwestern simply because they review applications slightly later in the cycle than other schools. I also hate to contact the admissions committee and ask for special favors because I am already kind of a borderline applicant (170/3.3).

Thanks for any help you can give!

onionz

Postby onionz » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:33 pm

allyjune wrote:So I have a bit of a conundrum that I thought someone might be able to shed some light on:

I am currently active duty and am applying to law school through the Navy's Law Education Program. You have to get selected into the program and then the Navy decides where they will send you to school. Thus far in the admission cycle I have been accepted to George Washington, Vanderbilt, and USD. USD also offered me a decent amount of scholarship money. However, Northwestern is my first choice. The Navy JAG board meets in a couple of weeks and I am required to turn in all acceptance letters to the board prior to its convening. My fear is that, when the board sees an acceptance letter from USD that includes scholarship money (which translates to saving the Navy money) but they have nothing from Northwestern, it will be an easy decision for them to send me to USD.

In light of the situation, would it be appropriate to contact the admissions committee and politely request that they review my application sooner rather than later? I would hate to miss an opportunity to study at Northwestern simply because they review applications slightly later in the cycle than other schools. I also hate to contact the admissions committee and ask for special favors because I am already kind of a borderline applicant (170/3.3).

Thanks for any help you can give!

I don't have any personal experience with that, but it sounds totally reasonable and if explained like this shows your interest. Worse they can do is say "no."

poichi

Postby poichi » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:49 pm

onionz wrote:I don't have any personal experience with that, but it sounds totally reasonable and if explained like this shows your interest. Worse they can do is say "no."

Same. Explain the deadline and then then it's up to NU how they want to handle it. They might be sorry to lose you if you have to call them in two weeks to withdraw your application, and probably surprised that you didn't tell them about your situation (so long as your application has been complete for a reasonable amount of time).

Also, which genius at JAG decided that halfway through admissions season was the best time to convene this kind of meeting?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:59 pm

poichi wrote:
onionz wrote:I don't have any personal experience with that, but it sounds totally reasonable and if explained like this shows your interest. Worse they can do is say "no."

Same. Explain the deadline and then then it's up to NU how they want to handle it. They might be sorry to lose you if you have to call them in two weeks to withdraw your application, and probably surprised that you didn't tell them about your situation (so long as your application has been complete for a reasonable amount of time).

Also, which genius at JAG decided that halfway through admissions season was the best time to convene this kind of meeting?

Yes, I'd say it's definitely worth a call. Worst they can say is no, and it's the kind of reason that might actually pique their interest and get them to pull out your file sooner rather than later.

teiswei

Postby teiswei » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:50 am

Checking in, albeit late, for the AJD. Between the 25th/75th for both using last year's AJD admissions stats. 8+ years WE with a graduate degree from NU.

CMHCLT

Postby CMHCLT » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:38 am

Anyone know how accurate the status updater is in terms of decision date? Mine says please allow 6-8 weeks from December 1...

Should I trust my decision will therefore be coming in the next two weeks? :shock:

CMHCLT

Postby CMHCLT » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:38 am

CMHCLT wrote:Anyone know how accurate the status updater is in terms of decision date? Mine says please allow 6-8 weeks from December 1...

Should I trust my decision will therefore be coming in the next two weeks? :shock:

...ps I kind of hate myself for posting that... :oops:

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:58 am

CMHCLT wrote:Anyone know how accurate the status updater is in terms of decision date? Mine says please allow 6-8 weeks from December 1...

+1

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:03 pm

The past 2 cycles, some people have waited as long as 10-12+ weeks for a decision. It is not a guaranteed deadline.

harveyfan

Postby harveyfan » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:29 pm

Checking in. Submitted Saturday 01/05. Received the status checker email today 01/07. Currently, my app. is incomplete, since my interview has been scheduled for next Monday.

pedestrian

Postby pedestrian » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:21 pm

Is anyone in NYC still waiting for an interviewer to be assigned?

feralinfant

Postby feralinfant » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:23 pm

Just finished making my weekly ritual sacrifice of a chicken to the Johann. Think we'll see some decisions this week? Otherwise I think I'm escalating to goats from here on out.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:28 pm

feralinfant wrote:Just finished making my weekly ritual sacrifice of a chicken to the Johann. Think we'll see some decisions this week? Otherwise I think I'm escalating to goats from here on out.

I feel like at this point the adcomm will be like "Screw it, we've already waited this long, might as well review the December apps before releasing mass decisions"

Hopefully i'm wrong :(
Last edited by DoveBodyWash on Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WaitingandHopeful

Postby WaitingandHopeful » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:31 pm

pedestrian wrote:Is anyone in NYC still waiting for an interviewer to be assigned?

Yes. More than 7 weeks. Already called a few weeks ago and again Friday.

pedestrian

Postby pedestrian » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:39 pm

WaitingandHopeful wrote:
pedestrian wrote:Is anyone in NYC still waiting for an interviewer to be assigned?

Yes. More than 7 weeks. Already called a few weeks ago and again Friday.

Ok, at least I'm not the only one - maybe if it is a systemic issue they won't penalize us, beyone the "LOL whoops, class full" I'm becoming increasingly convinced of.

From the Interview Handbook 2012-13: "
Off-campus interviews are generally assigned between August and December. Occasionally, we may contact you in January to see if you are still available for interviews... you may spread your interviews out between August 1 and December 31. Interview requests received in December may also be scheduled in January if your scedule requires.

:shock: :twisted: :cry:

curepure

Postby curepure » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:31 pm

Requested off campus interview in NYC on Nov 25, just got it assigned this morning, without exact date.

WaitingandHopeful

Postby WaitingandHopeful » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:37 pm

curepure wrote:Requested off campus interview in NYC on Nov 25, just got it assigned this morning, without exact date.

Kind of odd that requests from one city are being processed out of order, but good to know that it is at least moving forward.

Maybe they have contacted possible interviewers for those of us still waiting, and they're waiting for the interviewer to confirm that they will do it before sending us the info.

CMHCLT

Postby CMHCLT » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:39 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:

The past 2 cycles, some people have waited as long as 10-12+ weeks for a decision. It is not a guaranteed deadline.

...I wonder if law schools are as flexible with deadlines on assignments as they seem to be on deadlines for their applicants... :lol:

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:45 pm

helpplease wrote:Just wondering bc I applied for the heck of it, but would actually really love to go to NW......I have a 165 and around a 3.6. Do I have ANY CHANCE at all?? Non-urm, straight out of undergrad but i've worked part-time forever and I graduated in December so technically 8 months of full-time WE.

Do I even have a shot?

Hey, so you probably already realized that Northwestern admits 95% of its class with 2+ years of WE out of undergrad. So that is probably the most severe limit on your chances, even if you had a 175 LSAT. But it's not impossible to get in with only 1 year out, which is why I think if NU is really your goal, WAIT A YEAR and apply after you've worked for a while. I graduated in May and I've been working since July at a consulting firm; I applied and interviewed in November, and got in mid-December with only 5 months recorded WE. I think the interview is crucial for this. I had my interview early morning and told them I had to be in my office after, which was true; I had a decent length interview, but made it clear that I didn't have all day (very respectfully so) because of my clients and that I took both the interview and my work seriously. Dress nicely, act professional and not overly collegiate. Don't ask questions about your admission chances, only about the school and its professional life. Then follow up with them, but again, not about admission.

So for you and anyone who is coming out of undergrad directly, I would advise, wait a year if your heart is set on NW (especially if you have a decent paying job opportunity). The 165 is probably not going to kill you, so don't get too caught up with that, and you CAN get in with less than 2 years, but give it at least one. I wouldn't apply the way you are now, but its not just about "retake" either.

pedestrian

Postby pedestrian » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:48 pm

CMHCLT wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

...I wonder if law schools are as flexible with deadlines on assignments as they seem to be on deadlines for their applicants... :lol:

Yes, and it is also fine to turn in a paper late to a professor who takes months to grade anything.

az21833

Postby az21833 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:18 pm

submitted my app late last week, no application received email yet so far. Have gotten one from everybody else except Berkeley. Does NU take a while? Anybody else apply last week and get one?

harveyfan

Postby harveyfan » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:56 pm

az21833 wrote:submitted my app late last week, no application received email yet so far. Have gotten one from everybody else except Berkeley. Does NU take a while? Anybody else apply last week and get one?

I applied Saturday and got one this morning. I wouldn't worry yet though. Give it this week.

senorhosh

Postby senorhosh » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:37 am

Anyone know the data on interview and acceptances?

I chose to forgo my interview because it took too long to get assigned (and my interviewer never responded) and would rather have my app completed sooner. In addition, it's pretty hard for me to get off work and I definitely do not want to risk getting assigned and canceling the interview later on.

I think I heard a certain % of interviewed applicants are accepted or something? Anybody have the data? How about those who didn't interview?

oaken

Postby oaken » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:03 am

senorhosh wrote:Anyone know the data on interview and acceptances?

I chose to forgo my interview because it took too long to get assigned (and my interviewer never responded) and would rather have my app completed sooner. In addition, it's pretty hard for me to get off work and I definitely do not want to risk getting assigned and canceling the interview later on.

I think I heard a certain % of interviewed applicants are accepted or something? Anybody have the data? How about those who didn't interview?

Don't know the numbers but I'd imagine it would be more helpful to know the percentage of admitted students that interviewed than the other way around
Last edited by oaken on Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:07 am

senorhosh wrote:Anyone know the data on interview and acceptances?

What are your numbers/work experience? That will more accurately predict your chances of acceptance than anything else.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”