Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
shntn

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Postby shntn » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:13 am

Woods wrote:What about the career interest and goal question?

one sentence too short?

I did a couple of sentences, but my answer was pretty basic overall.

tyler.durden

Postby tyler.durden » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:31 pm

shntn wrote:

one sentence too short?

Same, mine was a couple of sentences but then it turned into a conversation about the merits of litigation over transactional work, but not in a "put you on the spot" sort of way, more informative.

shntn

Postby shntn » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:33 pm

tyler.durden wrote:
shntn wrote:

one sentence too short?

Same, mine was a couple of sentences but then it turned into a conversation about the merits of litigation over transactional work, but not in a "put you on the spot" sort of way, more informative.

Oh I thought we were talking about the app, not the interview. In the interview, yeah, my answer was much less basic than the little blurb in the app. I don't have a sentence count, but I'd wager it was in the double digits. Same with not being put on the spot...it was just a conversation, really, and it flowed as naturally as one should.

tyler.durden

Postby tyler.durden » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:34 pm

shntn wrote:
tyler.durden wrote:
shntn wrote:

one sentence too short?

Oh I thought we were talking about the app, not the interview. In the interview, yeah, my answer was much less basic than the little blurb in the app. I don't have a sentence count, but I'd wager it was in the double digits.

Haha sorry, I think you're right... I think it was about the app. My bad

guinness1547

Postby guinness1547 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:16 pm

Finally submitted today and requested my off-campus interview.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:07 pm

one sentence too short?

I would DEFINITELY recommend doing more than just one sentence. It doesn't have to be an essay, but I'd say do a paragraph (3-4 sentences). IME, NU is a school that places quite a bit of stock on how much effort you put into the application - did you write a Why NU? Did you tailor your app? Did you do an interview with them? This applies to their financial aid process as well - Johann posted on G+ last year about how people who were qualified for aid but didn't take the essays for finaid seriously were not given aid. I'd imagine they use the same philosophy for admissions.

shntn

Postby shntn » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:08 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:

one sentence too short?

I would DEFINITELY recommend doing more than just one sentence. It doesn't have to be an essay, but I'd say do a paragraph (3-4 sentences). IME, NU is a school that places quite a bit of stock on how much effort you put into the application - did you write a Why NU? Did you tailor your app? Did you do an interview with them? This applies to their financial aid process as well - Johann posted on G+ last year about how people who were qualified for aid but didn't take the essays for finaid seriously were not given aid. I'd imagine they use the same philosophy for admissions.

Essays for finaid?! Please tell me I didn't skim over that whole section.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:11 pm

shntn wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

one sentence too short?

Essays for finaid?! Please tell me I didn't skim over that whole section.

You don't have to do it until you get in. Part of the FAFSA/Need Access process for the school is a NU-specific set of financial aid essays. There were 2 questions last year, IIRC. They were pretty basic - I think one asked you to assess your financial need and the other asked you to assess your merit for scholarships. Something like that.

shntn

Postby shntn » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:13 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:You don't have to do it until you get in. Part of the FAFSA/Need Access process for the school is an NU-specific set of financial aid essays. There were 2 questions last year, IIRC. They were pretty basic - I think one asked you to assess your financial need and the other asked you to assess your merit for scholarships. Something like that.

Phew! I thought for a second that submitting most of my apps at like 2am the morning they opened might have backfired.

feralinfant

Postby feralinfant » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:47 am

Checking in. Interview on October 1. Going to ED even though my splitter ass is going to get rolled into RD. Just very badly want to go to this school. Also if anyone hasn't noticed yet Crumps is the best and superhelpful when it comes to all things super-splitter/northwestern related.

SaintsTheMetal

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:02 pm

Tag

feralinfant

Postby feralinfant » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:53 pm

Just bought my ticket to Chicago next week. Very pumped. Wish it was one way instead of roundtrip...

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:17 pm

feralinfant wrote:Just bought my ticket to Chicago next week. Very pumped. Wish it was one way instead of roundtrip...

Enjoy it! Awesome school.

Ex Cearulo

Postby Ex Cearulo » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:08 pm

How about cost of living in Chi-town?

I'm married, two kids, and will be attending law school under an Air Force program that doesn't pay me a salary, housing stipend, or any law school tuition (good deal, huh?). So I'm essentially going from making ~$70k/yr to zero, with the exception of two months in the summer for internships when my salary gets turned back on. Big adjustment. We're concerned about cost of living in a big city - rent, food, schools, childcare, entertainment, etc. That being said, plenty (even most?) of people go to law school all over with little to no income at all, so it can obviously be done! What say the masses?

- HD

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:23 pm

HawgDriver wrote:How about cost of living in Chi-town?

I'm married, two kids, and will be attending law school under an Air Force program that doesn't pay me a salary, housing stipend, or any law school tuition (good deal, huh?). So I'm essentially going from making ~$70k/yr to zero, with the exception of two months in the summer for internships when my salary gets turned back on. Big adjustment. We're concerned about cost of living in a big city - rent, food, schools, childcare, entertainment, etc. That being said, plenty (even most?) of people go to law school all over with little to no income at all, so it can obviously be done! What say the masses?

- HD
The maximum loan amount that NU calculates ($79,000+ this year) allows you to get a studio apartment in basically THE most expensive area of town (Streeterville, where school is) and not have a car. If you want a bigger apartment/to have a car/to live somewhere family-friendly, you would probably look at living further away from campus. There are lots of neighborhoods north and west of campus (Lakeview, Lincoln Park, Ukrainian Village, to name a few) where this is possible. I think there also may be a SLIGHT increase in loans available for child care.

Samara

Postby Samara » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:48 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
HawgDriver wrote:How about cost of living in Chi-town?

- HD
The maximum loan amount that NU calculates ($79,000+ this year) allows you to get a studio apartment in basically THE most expensive area of town (Streeterville, where school is) and not have a car. If you want a bigger apartment/to have a car/to live somewhere family-friendly, you would probably look at living further away from campus. There are lots of neighborhoods north and west of campus (Lakeview, Lincoln Park, Ukrainian Village, to name a few) where this is possible. I think there also may be a SLIGHT increase in loans available for child care.

+1 to all this. You do get extra loans for childcare. Lakeview is great and your dollar goes a lot further than downtown, especially for rent. Some people with kids even live outside the city proper in the near suburbs. There is a student organization for married students, Co-Counsel, that can help you with all of these concerns. Feel free to PM me with any specific questions.

Ex Cearulo

Postby Ex Cearulo » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:04 pm

Rinkrat and Samara, thanks very much for the input! It's great to know there's additional money out there for those of us crazy enough (I prefer the term "dedicated") to go to law school with two kids and no income! Unfortunately, I have a feeling the merit scholarship offer for ED-admits will be the only way I can afford Northwestern plus the cost of living. Northwestern is far and away my first choice. Just need to do well enough on the LSAT next month to make up for that ugly GPA!

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:10 pm

HawgDriver wrote:Rinkrat and Samara, thanks very much for the input! It's great to know there's additional money out there for those of us crazy enough (I prefer the term "dedicated") to go to law school with two kids and no income! Unfortunately, I have a feeling the merit scholarship offer for ED-admits will be the only way I can afford Northwestern plus the cost of living. Northwestern is far and away my first choice. Just need to do well enough on the LSAT next month to make up for that ugly GPA!

Well, whether the money is scholarship or loans, you get the same amount to live on. Obviously after school when you have start repayment it would make a huge difference, but not for living during your years at school.

Just clarifying in case you were operating under a misunderstanding.

Postby 04102014 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:31 pm

Checking in

Ex Cearulo

Postby Ex Cearulo » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:28 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Just clarifying in case you were operating under a misunderstanding.

Makes sense. Thanks!

GimmeThatJD

Postby GimmeThatJD » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:23 pm

Checking in! I'm applying to the AJD program! First choice!

GimmeThatJD

feralinfant

Postby feralinfant » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:22 pm

Headed to Chicago tomorrow for the weekend/interview on Monday. Should be done with all my apps by monday too. And so will begin the horrible process of waiting to find out whether i can sneak my way into law school.

shntn

Postby shntn » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:23 pm

feralinfant wrote:Headed to Chicago tomorrow for the weekend/interview on Monday. Should be done with all my apps by monday too. And so will begin the horrible process of waiting to find out whether i can sneak my way into law school.

It's not that bad, at least not yet. Just ignore any status trackers you receive and try to have as many lulz as possible while that's still an option.

VasaVasori

Postby VasaVasori » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:14 pm

Last edited by VasaVasori on Sat May 02, 2015 10:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

shntn

Postby shntn » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:15 pm

VasaVasori wrote:Just got my interviewer, but I don't really want to apply since I got in to Duke. But by not applying I feel like I'm not doing something that I should be doing, even though I would never pick Northwestern over Duke.

If I end up not applying, should I just send my interviewer an email letting him no I chose not to apply so that he's not waiting for contact from me?

Just cancel through the scheduler. They won't be too butthurt.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”