Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
uconjak

Bronze

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Post by uconjak » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:12 pm

Held also, what does that mean. Is it similar to columbia?

Looper12

New

Post by Looper12 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:30 pm

Any ajd wl's get a decision?!

teiswei

Silver

Post by teiswei » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:55 am

Looper12 wrote:Any ajd wl's get a decision?!
I'd assume next week at the earliest. Deposit deadline is tomorrow.

you'rethemannowdawg

Bronze

Post by you'rethemannowdawg » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:47 am

Anyone know if the Dean's recent pledge to increase scholarship aid includes students entering Fall 2013?

MAHamlin

Bronze

Post by MAHamlin » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:00 am

you'rethemannowdawg wrote:Anyone know if the Dean's recent pledge to increase scholarship aid includes students entering Fall 2013?
It's a little ambiguous. Per their released statement:

"Third, we will increase our total investment in need- and merit-based financial aid for entering students and in our LRAP program for graduating students by at least 25% during the next two years."

It would seem reasonable to believe that 2013 falls within "the next two years". How much of the 25% increase will be realized in the first of those two years is a little more difficult to guess.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

letitloose

Bronze

Post by letitloose » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:04 am

uconjak wrote:Held also, what does that mean. Is it similar to columbia?
This should answer some questions: http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... /hold.html

Scarlett66

New

Post by Scarlett66 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:48 pm

Do we have any timeline for scholarships other than the ambiguous late march in the emails?

I really really want Northwestern, but have a full ride at another Chicago school (Kent/Loyola/Depaul) and they want an answer soon...

At what point do you think it's still worth it if I end up paying sticker!? Hopefully that increased funding is for this year!

Kikero

Silver

Post by Kikero » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:03 pm

Scarlett66 wrote:Do we have any timeline for scholarships other than the ambiguous late march in the emails?

I really really want Northwestern, but have a full ride at another Chicago school (Kent/Loyola/Depaul) and they want an answer soon...

At what point do you think it's still worth it if I end up paying sticker!? Hopefully that increased funding is for this year!
I honestly would go to NU at sticker over any of the others at full ride. Others will likely tell you differently, but that's my opinion. As for scholarships, apparently they were all out by April 2 last year.

ltezen

New

Post by ltezen » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:06 pm

still haven't heard back on a decision...this might be a stupid question, but for those who haven't heard anything, the 'enrollment deposit deadline' doesn't matter, right? or, is it common practice to place a deposit anyways if you know you are going to go if you happen to get accepted/waitlisted later?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:11 pm

Kikero wrote:
Scarlett66 wrote:Do we have any timeline for scholarships other than the ambiguous late march in the emails?

I honestly would go to NU at sticker over any of the others at full ride. Others will likely tell you differently, but that's my opinion. As for scholarships, apparently they were all out by April 2 last year.
+1. Those other schools are bad. Northwestern is great. Unless you're really debt averse or just looking for small law at a firm that you have been offered a job at I would choose NU.

Scarlett66

New

Post by Scarlett66 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:24 pm

Kikero wrote:

Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for

intlsplitr

Bronze

Post by intlsplitr » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:54 pm

ltezen wrote:still haven't heard back on a decision...this might be a stupid question, but for those who haven't heard anything, the 'enrollment deposit deadline' doesn't matter, right? or, is it common practice to place a deposit anyways if you know you are going to go if you happen to get accepted/waitlisted later?
Correct, the deadline does not matter. You cannot put down a deposit on a seat you have not been offered.

Edited for clarity.

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:09 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Kikero wrote:

+1. Those other schools are bad. Northwestern is great. Unless you're really debt averse or just looking for small law at a firm that you have been offered a job at I would choose NU.
concur

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TorturedApplicant

New

Post by TorturedApplicant » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:21 am

letitloose wrote:
This should answer some questions: http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... /hold.html
Does anyone know if those FAQ's are current? The "hold" decisions letter did not mention optional essays. Thanks!

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:21 am

mrizza wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
Kikero wrote:

concur
Do you not have a middle option? Maybe a T20 or T25 with money? If not, then NU all the way.

snapdragon25

Bronze

Post by snapdragon25 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:00 am

cusenation wrote:Do you not have a middle option? Maybe a T20 or T25 with money? If not, then NU all the way.
Can't speak for Scarlett, but I really wish Chicago had a T20-30 middle option. New York has Brooklyn/Cardozo < Fordham < NYU/Columbia, but Chicago only has TT and T14.

I would chop off a limb to go to NU at sticker though.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:00 am

snapdragon25 wrote:
cusenation wrote:Do you not have a middle option? Maybe a T20 or T25 with money? If not, then NU all the way.
Can't speak for Scarlett, but I really wish Chicago had a T20-30 middle option. New York has Brooklyn/Cardozo < Fordham < NYU/Columbia, but Chicago only has TT and T14.

+100

I know what you mean. It's all or nothing in Chicago lol

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

teiswei

Silver

Post by teiswei » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:07 am

cusenation wrote:
snapdragon25 wrote:

+100

UIUC could kill it by moving into the city. They have a business school campus right across the river from my office. I would realistically consider it now at 50% tuition if it were in that building.

ETA: I guarantee they'd have better applicants too... No need to lie about numbers.

snapdragon25

Bronze

Post by snapdragon25 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:13 am

teiswei wrote:
cusenation wrote:
snapdragon25 wrote:

+100

UIUC could kill it by moving into the city. They have a business school campus right across the river from my office. I would realistically consider it now at 50% tuition if it were in that building.

ETA: I guarantee they'd have better applicants too... No need to lie about numbers.
DEFINITELY. I think they're trying to snag some Chicagoans by doing that 3L spring semester in Chicago thing, but if the whole law school was in the city they'd clean up.

letitloose

Bronze

Post by letitloose » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:26 am

TorturedApplicant wrote:
letitloose wrote:
Does anyone know if those FAQ's are current? The "hold" decisions letter did not mention optional essays. Thanks!
The email I received regarding my "hold" status linked to that page. So I would assume it's current. Did you not receive a similar email?

snapdragon25

Bronze

Post by snapdragon25 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:06 pm

letitloose wrote:
TorturedApplicant wrote:
letitloose wrote:
The email I received regarding my "hold" status linked to that page. So I would assume it's current. Did you not receive a similar email?
The prompt for the first hold essay was different last year and there was a third optional essay, so it's definitely current.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TorturedApplicant

New

Post by TorturedApplicant » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:33 pm

letitloose wrote:
TorturedApplicant wrote:
letitloose wrote:
No. My email linked the the status checker, which contained a link to a PDF letter. The letter states:

"You may also wish to update your original application with any information that you think would
assist our selection process, such as letters of continuing interest, recent grades, honors, promotions, a Letter of
Recommendation, or re-take the LSAT if you feel that your original score is not representative of your abilities."

No mention of essays...

talesofyore

Bronze

Post by talesofyore » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:37 pm

I got the link to the page with the essay a few days after the hold letter. It was emailed to me.

TorturedApplicant

New

Post by TorturedApplicant » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:40 pm

The prompt for the first hold essay was different last year and there was a third optional essay, so it's definitely current.[/quote]

Thanks, that's helpful. Do you have a clue how many people get admitted off the hold list, or how large the list ist?

talesofyore

Bronze

Post by talesofyore » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:43 pm

TorturedApplicant wrote:The prompt for the first hold essay was different last year and there was a third optional essay, so it's definitely current.
Thanks, that's helpful. Do you have a clue how many people get admitted off the hold list, or how large the list ist?[/quote]

IIRC somebody earlier in this thread said he/she went back and looked at last year's thread and roughly half, mainly with high numbers got off the hold list.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”