Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
M458

Bronze

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Post by M458 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:14 pm

feralinfant wrote:so i couldn't sleep last night and just spent a few hours looking up random things about Chicago and fantasizing about living there. I think I might be losing it.
Dying for these ED decisions to come in; hoping so much I get in!

teiswei

Silver

Post by teiswei » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:18 pm

feralinfant wrote:so i couldn't sleep last night and just spent a few hours looking up random things about Chicago and fantasizing about living there. I think I might be losing it.
It's cold here... it must have been a nightmare.

permapress

New

Post by permapress » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:33 pm

ugh after waiting to hear back for a month, northwestern emailed me to say they no longer have interview availability in my city... :( they've told me that i can either do an in-campus one or via skype in january. i'll be traveling in january with pretty sketchy internet access (plus skype interviews are horrible...), so i think i'd rather just go complete without the interview. is that a huge faux-pas? how do i tell them that?

feralinfant

Silver

Post by feralinfant » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:35 pm

teiswei wrote:
I live in Boston which means every day is a nightmare.

also-layers dude.

teiswei

Silver

Post by teiswei » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:37 pm

feralinfant wrote:
teiswei wrote:

also-layers dude.
I am tired of layers... I am from the west where I could wear t-shirts daily.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

feralinfant

Silver

Post by feralinfant » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:41 pm

teiswei wrote:
feralinfant wrote:
teiswei wrote:

also-layers dude.
I am tired of layers... I am from the west where I could wear t-shirts daily.
ah here is the real problem-not hailing from the hearty stock of the midwest.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:44 pm

Forced myself to un-bookmark my status checker after I realized that as an RD candidate, i won't be hearing back until a few days AFTER the ED decisions are released..which haven't even begun to be released yet... My sanity couldn't take this wait any longer

oaken

Bronze

Post by oaken » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:11 pm

cusenation wrote:Forced myself to un-bookmark my status checker after I realized that as an RD candidate, i won't be hearing back until a few days AFTER the ED decisions are released..which haven't even begun to be released yet... My sanity couldn't take this wait any longer
Yeah I just submitted all my apps within the last few weeks (all RD), and I'm still opening the folder of bookmarked status checkers like twice a day. This sucks.

feralinfant

Silver

Post by feralinfant » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:20 pm

oaken wrote:
cusenation wrote:Forced myself to un-bookmark my status checker after I realized that as an RD candidate, i won't be hearing back until a few days AFTER the ED decisions are released..which haven't even begun to be released yet... My sanity couldn't take this wait any longer
Yeah I just submitted all my apps within the last few weeks (all RD), and I'm still opening the folder of bookmarked status checkers like twice a day. This sucks.
ive left the status checkers far behind. i've just been sacrificing chickens to the all powerful Johann while staring intently at my gmail inbox.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:02 pm

Stop bumping this until decisions drop. You're driving me crazy.

Diamond

Post by 06102016 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:03 pm

tonton

Bronze

Post by tonton » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:17 pm

oaken wrote:
does indeed

helpplease

Bronze

Post by helpplease » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:47 pm

Hey guys, I requested an interview on 12/01 but I haven't received an email since. I'm just curious because Vanderbilt contacted me the very next day--did yall have to wait a bit too?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

VeeD101

Bronze

Post by VeeD101 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:38 am

I am an international applicant and the earliest I can interview is January 3rd. Suggestions on whether I should schedule the interview and delay my app processing or skip the interview? :(

I have great work experience both while in school and 48 months full-time.

Stats are borderline at best: 169 / 3.69

fragrock

Bronze

Post by fragrock » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:03 am

Hey all! Lurker checking in way late. I'm an NU Undergrad alum and am poised to submit my app (yeah I know, should have done it weeks ago). Does anyone have feelings about the "one recommendation" requirement? The instructions say "The letter should be completed by someone who can evaluate your professional work-related performance (current or former supervisor, clients or co-worker)." I'm having a hard time letting go of my other recommendation written by an NU professor, as I can't imagine that won't help a little bit. Advice? should I submit with my Professional rec only, submit both and disobey the rules or submit only the academic rec and hope they're okay with that. Thanks for your help all!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:08 am

fragrock wrote:Hey all! Lurker checking in way late. I'm an NU Undergrad alum and am poised to submit my app (yeah I know, should have done it weeks ago). Does anyone have feelings about the "one recommendation" requirement? The instructions say "The letter should be completed by someone who can evaluate your professional work-related performance (current or former supervisor, clients or co-worker)." I'm having a hard time letting go of my other recommendation written by an NU professor, as I can't imagine that won't help a little bit. Advice? should I submit with my Professional rec only, submit both and disobey the rules or submit only the academic rec and hope they're okay with that. Thanks for your help all!
Does the LSAC system still list the numbers of LORs "required/recommended/max"? If so, and IF the max is 2, you'd probably be ok submitting it. If the max is 1, don't submit an extra letter; you'll just annoy them.

fragrock

Bronze

Post by fragrock » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:13 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
fragrock wrote:Hey all! Lurker checking in way late. I'm an NU Undergrad alum and am poised to submit my app (yeah I know, should have done it weeks ago). Does anyone have feelings about the "one recommendation" requirement? The instructions say "The letter should be completed by someone who can evaluate your professional work-related performance (current or former supervisor, clients or co-worker)." I'm having a hard time letting go of my other recommendation written by an NU professor, as I can't imagine that won't help a little bit. Advice? should I submit with my Professional rec only, submit both and disobey the rules or submit only the academic rec and hope they're okay with that. Thanks for your help all!
Does the LSAC system still list the numbers of LORs "required/recommended/max"? If so, and IF the max is 2, you'd probably be ok submitting it. If the max is 1, don't submit an extra letter; you'll just annoy them.
Yes! clarity. The instructions within the NU app do not specify, but the LSAC recommendation page shows they will accept up to 4. Thank you!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:15 am

fragrock wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Yes! clarity. The instructions within the NU app do not specify, but the LSAC recommendation page shows they will accept up to 4. Thank you!
Well, definitely don't submit 4! (I probably didn't need to tell you that.) 2 will be ok. They probably just only require 1 since most of the students are coming from jobs, not school, and may only have one logical supervisor to get a letter from.

fragrock

Bronze

Post by fragrock » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:21 am

rinkrat19 wrote: Well, definitely don't submit 4! (I probably didn't need to tell you that.) 2 will be ok. They probably just only require 1 since most of the students are coming from jobs, not school, and may only have one logical supervisor to get a letter from.
Yeah, 4 would be no good. the debate was mostly who to list in the section of the application where it asks for your recommendation details. I listed my work supervisor, and will submit the professor's rec as the supplemental rec, instead of the other way around. It's a long shot anyway, but I love NU so much after my UG experience, I figured it was worth a try. I'll have 3 years of good work experience by September so hopefully that will make up for my low numbers.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:07 am

rinkrat19 wrote:

Submit as many letters as it takes to give the adcomm the most accurate/best impression of you. If you have 4 people then use all 4. If you only have 1 then use 1. Most people will generally have 1-2 (some kind of professor and employer)

Sending extra letters that doesn't add to your application will annoy them. Don't send fluff letters. But if you have more than two people who can give unique insight into your character then you should send them. The adcomm reads thousands of these letters. One or two more from you won't annoy them...not to the point that it will hurt your chances. After all, it's their job to read this stuff.

Personally I sent 3 since I just graduated and only recently started working full-time. Two from profs that I have a close relationship with (research assistant, journal editor etc...) and 1 from my supervisor at work.

talesofyore

Bronze

Post by talesofyore » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:40 am

Should we email the Office of Admissions after completing an alumni interview?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

enjoyddyy

New

Post by enjoyddyy » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:04 pm

talesofyore wrote:Should we email the Office of Admissions after completing an alumni interview?
You need to report your interview date on the interview portal webpage, and a few days later your application will be complete. I took mine on Nov.23, and then status changed to complete on Nov.28 without emailing the AO. Good luck with your cycle :)

talesofyore

Bronze

Post by talesofyore » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:12 pm

enjoyddyy wrote:
talesofyore wrote:Should we email the Office of Admissions after completing an alumni interview?
You need to report your interview date on the interview portal webpage, and a few days later your application will be complete. I took mine on Nov.23, and then status changed to complete on Nov.28 without emailing the AO. Good luck with your cycle :)
Thanks, and same to you!

ashockofpink

Bronze

Post by ashockofpink » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:28 pm

Looking at last year's stats (couldn't sleep so I backtracked through the 250-ish page thread), the bare minimum for ED acceptances since the scholly SEEMS to be:

GPA: Minimum 3.55 (this was an URM, if I recall, average was closer to 3.7-ish)
LSAT: Minimum 171
WE: Minimum 2 years

And I'm fairly certain when I called the admissions office forever ago they mentioned they only accepted ~10 people out of all ED applicants (admittedly I'm unsure what percent that is). I'm at a whopping 1/3 of those qualifications, so while I'm still pumped up for decisions to be released I'm not especially expecting to get in ED. Hopefully a deferral to RD though. I just want to knoooooow!!! Guh!

Who else on here is applying ED? Did the above news make anyone happy/more optimistic about their chances? I hope it made SOMEONE full of smiles because, for me, I was like... mierda.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:34 pm

ashockofpink wrote:Looking at last year's stats (couldn't sleep so I backtracked through the 250-ish page thread), the bare minimum for ED acceptances since the scholly SEEMS to be:

GPA: Minimum 3.55 (this was an URM, if I recall, average was closer to 3.7-ish)
LSAT: Minimum 171
WE: Minimum 2 years

And I'm fairly certain when I called the admissions office forever ago they mentioned they only accepted ~10 people out of all ED applicants (admittedly I'm unsure what percent that is). I'm at a whopping 1/3 of those qualifications, so while I'm still pumped up for decisions to be released I'm not especially expecting to get in ED. Hopefully a deferral to RD though. I just want to knoooooow!!! Guh!

Who else on here is applying ED? Did the above news make anyone happy/more optimistic about their chances? I hope it made SOMEONE full of smiles because, for me, I was like... mierda.
You have solid numbers. Even if you don't get admitted as an ED candidate, I highly doubt that NU would just ding a candidate with your numbers. You're right that it's unlikely that you'll get ED (but who knows right?). But even if you don't, you have a great chance at being admitted after a deferral. And maybe you'll get some scholarship through that even if it's not 150K.

Either way, I don't expect you to get outright dinged. In the event of a deferral, your ED application will let them know that you're passionate about attending, which can only be a boost. This would help even if you got waitlisted. Soo no need to stress too much =)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”