Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Lear22

Bronze

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Post by Lear22 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:54 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:AFAIK in the legal field (and in a lot of other fields), an objective is never in order.

Just use the same one you submitted with your app. They'll already have seen that one, and to give them a different format that presents the same info seems unnecessarily complicated.
Haven't submitted my app yet, applying to the AJD prog.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:07 pm

Lear22 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:AFAIK in the legal field (and in a lot of other fields), an objective is never in order.

Just use the same one you submitted with your app. They'll already have seen that one, and to give them a different format that presents the same info seems unnecessarily complicated.
So interpolate from my post. Remove the objective and use the resume that you will be submitting with your app.

Lear22

Bronze

Post by Lear22 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:26 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Lear22 wrote:

So interpolate from my post. Remove the objective and use the resume that you will be submitting with your app.
Thanks! Will do.

Anyone else applying here to the AJD?

StylinNProfilin

Bronze

Post by StylinNProfilin » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:23 pm

I'm applying AJD too. As far as your resume q, I'm doing an off-campus interview and am using the same resume i'm using fo law school apps.

Lear22

Bronze

Post by Lear22 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:08 pm

StylinNProfilin wrote:I'm applying AJD too. As far as your resume q, I'm doing an off-campus interview and am using the same resume i'm using fo law school apps.
cool. What made you decide to to apply to the AJD? I am interested in the prog but there is so little information about it here/online in general

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

StylinNProfilin

Bronze

Post by StylinNProfilin » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:24 pm

Well I'm older (4 years work experience) and love the idea of working a year earlier. definitely a great fit for someone who already knows what they want out of their law degree. and my numbers are waitlist material for the 3 yr program, hoping admission is a tiny bit easier into the AJD. Kinda hard to tell with such limited data.

Lear22

Bronze

Post by Lear22 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:41 pm

StylinNProfilin wrote:Well I'm older (4 years work experience) and love the idea of working a year earlier. definitely a great fit for someone who already knows what they want out of their law degree. and my numbers are waitlist material for the 3 yr program, hoping admission is a tiny bit easier into the AJD. Kinda hard to tell with such limited data.
Yup, I agree with you on everything. My numbers a sub par and I am hopeful that the fact that I am taking the trip to Chicago regardless of my number will show my interest in the school. Also think that the AJD's entering class' number a below the 3 year JD, and I'll risk and say that they are below it by more than a little. From the stats it appears that they had 100 applications out of which they chose 38, so I remain hopeful..
Last edited by Lear22 on Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StylinNProfilin

Bronze

Post by StylinNProfilin » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:00 pm

yeah the accepetance rate is definitely quite high!

Lear22

Bronze

Post by Lear22 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:10 pm

StylinNProfilin wrote:yeah the accepetance rate is definitely quite high!
yes, and I have a feeling that with declining app numbers they will probably see even fewer applicants this year. I just wished that there was more information about the prog and people who applied. I am a little worried about getting into OCI with only one semester worth of grades and no summer work to show employers

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

StylinNProfilin

Bronze

Post by StylinNProfilin » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:23 pm

From what I've read it appears that most people in the program did well in OCI. I think not having summer work is trumped by the previous substantial working experience the class has.

Lear22

Bronze

Post by Lear22 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:28 pm

StylinNProfilin wrote:From what I've read it appears that most people in the program did well in OCI. I think not having summer work is trumped by the previous substantial working experience the class has.
could be. I am very interested in the prog and really hope that making the trip to Chicago, interviewing and showing interest would assist. Overall I still think it has some downsides but if it's AJD or nothing, I'd take it

sunshinegirl

New

Post by sunshinegirl » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:54 am

Did most of you submit a work-centric PS? I have 2 years of WE, but I want to submit a PS about an extracurricular activity to Northwestern. However, I don't want it to look like I didn't tailor my PS to Northwestern (and its preference for WE).

Lear22

Bronze

Post by Lear22 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:46 pm

On campus interview tomorrow morning. Any last minute things I should know? I was wondering if they interviewer would know I'm applying to the AJD and if they are going through my CAS records prior to the interview?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:49 pm

sunshinegirl wrote:Did most of you submit a work-centric PS? I have 2 years of WE, but I want to submit a PS about an extracurricular activity to Northwestern. However, I don't want it to look like I didn't tailor my PS to Northwestern (and its preference for WE).
Nope, I didn't make it work-specific in the slightest.

letitloose

Bronze

Post by letitloose » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:57 pm

part of my statement addressed my WE, but that wasn't the theme

criminaltheory

Bronze

Post by criminaltheory » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:30 pm

Lear22 wrote:On campus interview tomorrow morning. Any last minute things I should know? I was wondering if they interviewer would know I'm applying to the AJD and if they are going through my CAS records prior to the interview?
No, I don't think the interviewers look at your app even if you've already applied.

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:38 pm

criminaltheory wrote:
Lear22 wrote:On campus interview tomorrow morning. Any last minute things I should know? I was wondering if they interviewer would know I'm applying to the AJD and if they are going through my CAS records prior to the interview?
No, I don't think the interviewers look at your app even if you've already applied.
Yeah, I interviewed on campus and my interviewer told me that he doesn't see the file and isn't on the committee.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lear22

Bronze

Post by Lear22 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:18 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
criminaltheory wrote:
Yeah, I interviewed on campus and my interviewer told me that he doesn't see the file and isn't on the committee.
Well I hope he interviewer will know I'm coming in to interview for the AJD cause that changes the narrative or the interview as they saythy are looking for specific things In AJD candidates.

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:37 pm

I'm sure they know what they're doing

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:53 pm

This is late but checking in.

Applied last year as an undergrad and got waitlisted. Got a job and re-applying. Good luck to all

timeandspace11

Silver

Post by timeandspace11 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:22 pm

Sent in my app last night, have an interview on the 26th. This is definitely a reach school for me, but I am extremely impressed with NU and I love Chicago. You never know if you dont try I guess.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lear22

Bronze

Post by Lear22 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:15 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:I'm sure they know what they're doing
Was very happy from my on campus interview. I am not sure why some posters here said that a non admissions person interviews on campus, but mine was with a very nice admissions officer. The interview was 45 min long and used some of the questios from page 1 of this thread so I highly recommend going over them beforehand. Overall I felt I was very engaging with her and was able to convey everything I wanted to. I also geared my interview towards the AJD and asked specific questions about the program. She didnt have any new information that is not on the website but I still wanted to separate myself as an AJD candidate. She asked me aspects questions about my résumé ( I have 8+ years of combined work and military experience) so I also recommend being ready to give information on pervious positions.

Overall, I think the biggest advice I could give is to show interest in the school and program besides it being " a really good school ". My 'in' was the AJD (which is true, it's prob 90% of wh I am applying to NU) so I would think hard of why. Lastly, I think it should also be mentioned that you made the trip to Chicago just for the oppertunity to interview with them, spent time and money. I don't think it's something that should be taken for granted.

At the end of the interview the admissions officer gave me her card and I sent her a thank you email a few hours later.

Good luck! Chicago is really nice. Just really cold... (And it's only November!!)

onionz

Bronze

Post by onionz » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:30 am

Lear22 wrote:
Was very happy from my on campus interview. I am not sure why some posters here said that a non admissions person interviews on campus, but mine was with a very nice admissions officer. The interview was 45 min long and used some of the questios from page 1 of this thread so I highly recommend going over them beforehand. Overall I felt I was very engaging with her and was able to convey everything I wanted to. I also geared my interview towards the AJD and asked specific questions about the program. She didnt have any new information that is not on the website but I still wanted to separate myself as an AJD candidate. She asked me aspects questions about my résumé ( I have 8+ years of combined work and military experience) so I also recommend being ready to give information on pervious positions.

Overall, I think the biggest advice I could give is to show interest in the school and program besides it being " a really good school ". My 'in' was the AJD (which is true, it's prob 90% of wh I am applying to NU) so I would think hard of why. Lastly, I think it should also be mentioned that you made the trip to Chicago just for the oppertunity to interview with them, spent time and money. I don't think it's something that should be taken for granted.

At the end of the interview the admissions officer gave me her card and I sent her a thank you email a few hours later.

Good luck! Chicago is really nice. Just really cold... (And it's only November!!)
Mine said she was part of the admissions team, as did the business card, but when I looked her up on Linkedin, she was strictly an interviewer for NU.

Lear22

Bronze

Post by Lear22 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:37 am

onionz wrote:
Lear22 wrote:

Mine said she was part of the admissions team, as did the business card, but when I looked her up on Linkedin, she was strictly an interviewer for NU.
The card of the one who interviewed me said: admissions officer. I didn't look her up on LinkedIn though, I think her business card is a fair testament though. I was very happy that I met her and not an interviewer, though I really don't know how it's going to impact anything.

Gisney

Bronze

Post by Gisney » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:00 am

Still the only school I have not gone complete at because of my interview. I emailed them around the 4 week mark to check in and they said they were still trying to set something up in my area.

We will see

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”