Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: Northwestern Law C/O 2016 (2012-2013 Applicants)

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:41 pm

pammie0415 wrote:
Solistus wrote:My plan is to research remotely and find a few buildings to check out, then fly into Chicago sometime around late July / early August to tour some apartments and secure a lease. I'm still not sure what neighborhoods to look in, but I'll be doing a lot more research over the next couple months.
Is it generally worth it to pay a premium but be close to school?
Depends on your relative values of time, convenience, square footage, and money.

I loathe commuting with the power of a supernova, so I think it's worth it to pay $1325 for a small studio and live 3 blocks from school. Other people would rather pay $900 for a 1-bedroom but have a 30-minute train ride+walking commute.

PBateman1

Bronze

Post by PBateman1 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:49 pm

pammie0415 wrote:
Solistus wrote:My plan is to research remotely and find a few buildings to check out, then fly into Chicago sometime around late July / early August to tour some apartments and secure a lease. I'm still not sure what neighborhoods to look in, but I'll be doing a lot more research over the next couple months.
If you don't want to live around the school, I'd at least try to live near a red line L stop.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:50 pm

PBateman1 wrote:
pammie0415 wrote:
If you don't want to live around the school, I'd at least try to live near a red line L stop.
Or the Lake Shore Dr express buses. They are awesome. (Shameless Lakeview stumper)

untar614

Silver

Post by untar614 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:19 pm

pammie0415 wrote:Thanks for all the speedy response! :)

I'll try to do as much research as I can beforehand then considering I might not be able to get there until Mid-Aug. My current work contract (I'm in Japan now) doesn't end until early Aug. So it considerably limits my options.. sigh.
Well if (and hopefully when) you get in off the hold, if you're cool with roommates, I'm looking to live with ppl to keep costs down, and could come earlier in August to get the place squared away. I'm looking at places a little further north within a few blocks of a redline stop. That should keep commutes fairly short, but from what I've researched (padmapper is amazing, thank you to whoever it was that pointed me in that direction) it makes a big difference in rental rates.

M458

Bronze

Post by M458 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:34 pm

untar614 wrote:

I'll try to do as much research as I can beforehand then considering I might not be able to get there until Mid-Aug. My current work contract (I'm in Japan now) doesn't end until early Aug. So it considerably limits my options.. sigh.
Well if (and hopefully when) you get in off the hold, if you're cool with roommates, I'm looking to live with ppl to keep costs down, and could come earlier in August to get the place squared away. I'm looking at places a little further north within a few blocks of a redline stop. That should keep commutes fairly short, but from what I've researched (padmapper is amazing, thank you to whoever it was that pointed me in that direction) it makes a big difference in rental rates.
Hey--I'm hoping to live with roommates too and looking at neighborhoods on the north side near the red line. PM me if you're coming to ASW.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:00 pm

Well if (and hopefully when) you get in off the hold, if you're cool with roommates, I'm looking to live with ppl to keep costs down, and could come earlier in August to get the place squared away. I'm looking at places a little further north within a few blocks of a redline stop.
Don't forget the express busses from the north side. Live near the lake, and the busses jump on Lake Shore Drive straight down to Michigan Avenue.

fruitoftheloom

Bronze

Post by fruitoftheloom » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:13 pm

untar614 wrote:

Padmapper is good, but it mostly pulls from Craigslist and therefore can be a little behind. I think using padmapper + maps feature on Craiglist is where it's at.

pammie0415

Bronze

Post by pammie0415 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:24 pm

untar614 wrote:

I definitely don't mind roomies! Getting in off hold means I won't get any $$ and I would need to try to keep costs down in other ways. Hopefully I'll hear soon enough.

I really hope I get into NU as it is definitely my absolute top choice. I hope you're reading this Johann :wink:

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:40 pm

What are your stats? I'm rooting for you, but talking roommates might be premature.

Eta: hopefully not being rude, just would hate to see someone get too worked up and let down.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pammie0415

Bronze

Post by pammie0415 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:48 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:What are your stats? I'm rooting for you, but talking roommates might be premature.

Eta: hopefully not being rude, just would hate to see someone get too worked up and let down.
Haha no worries. NU is definitely a reach for me. Didn't even think I would be held. So I'm glad for that. I've already gotten into WUSTL with $$. If I don't get into NU I'll definitely be disappointed (and sad :cry: ) but not I'm going to jump off a bridge kind. I'm a super splitter with 170/2.6. Definitely didn't do well in undergrad but I do have 4 years of WE with great recs and some other softs. So I'm hoping for the best.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:52 pm

I'm a super splitter myself currently waitlisted. My plan was to apply next cycle, but I decided it was worth the cost to sneak a very late app out and see if they bite, if I don't hear anything off the waitlist I'm reapplying, absolutely dream of NU as well. Good luck, maybe I'll see you at NU eventually!

pammie0415

Bronze

Post by pammie0415 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:03 am

Clearlynotstefan wrote:I'm a super splitter myself currently waitlisted. My plan was to apply next cycle, but I decided it was worth the cost to sneak a very late app out and see if they bite, if I don't hear anything off the waitlist I'm reapplying, absolutely dream of NU as well. Good luck, maybe I'll see you at NU eventually!
Thanks! Best of luck to you too! It's not easy being a splitter but I can always hope haha. Gonna try to stay positive.

Scarlett66

New

Post by Scarlett66 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:24 am

To those freaking out about COL expenses in Chicago, the numbers for NU skew high.
If you live just a few stops north of the red line (20 minute commute plus some walking), you get to ride a roller coaster to school and save huge money. Lakeview/Uptown has an aldi/target/jewel, and my friend who's a law student up there pays only $25-30 a week on food, and $700 a month on rent (no roomie). It is completely possible to be frugal. You just have to take the inconvenience of not living in Streeterville or Gold Coast.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:57 pm

Scarlett66 wrote:To those freaking out about COL expenses in Chicago, the numbers for NU skew high.
If you live just a few stops north of the red line (20 minute commute plus some walking), you get to ride a roller coaster to school and save huge money. Lakeview/Uptown has an aldi/target/jewel, and my friend who's a law student up there pays only $25-30 a week on food, and $700 a month on rent (no roomie). It is completely possible to be frugal. You just have to take the inconvenience of not living in Streeterville or Gold Coast.
Your friend spends only about $10-15 a week more on their own food than I do on my dog's food :shock:

andy261

Bronze

Post by andy261 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:09 pm

pammie0415 wrote:
Clearlynotstefan wrote:I'm a super splitter myself currently waitlisted. My plan was to apply next cycle, but I decided it was worth the cost to sneak a very late app out and see if they bite, if I don't hear anything off the waitlist I'm reapplying, absolutely dream of NU as well. Good luck, maybe I'll see you at NU eventually!
Thanks! Best of luck to you too! It's not easy being a splitter but I can always hope haha. Gonna try to stay positive.
We have almost identical stats. Good luck!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:47 pm

Scarlett66 wrote:To those freaking out about COL expenses in Chicago, the numbers for NU skew high.
$30 a week on food isn't living. I spent more than freshmen year of college when I had a full free meal plan. your friend must be anorexic and not go out, ever.

vinnnyvincenzo

Bronze

Post by vinnnyvincenzo » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:59 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
$30 a week on food isn't living. I spent more than freshmen year of college when I had a full free meal plan. your friend must be anorexic and not go out, ever.
I did this in college and I was pretty malnourished, mostly had like one meal a day and that was like a scrambled egg or a $5 footlong. The fact I slept till 3 pm everyday was also a contributing factor though.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Danny Boyo

New

Post by Danny Boyo » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:15 pm

Quick question, do U all think is premature to send a why NU/LOCI even if I haven't heard from NU yet? I believe a decision will come in the next couple of weeks and I don’t want to push my application back in the review line. On the other hand, its been a while and I want to show them I'm still very committed. I've already visited the school, in early March, so I can't do that again. Any thought or comments?

Thanks in advance.

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:18 pm

Quick question, do U all think is premature to send a why NU/LOCI even if I haven't heard from NU yet?
No, not premature according to Mike Spivey (you can search for his threads).

perfectheight411

New

Post by perfectheight411 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:37 pm

still havent heard anything

luxurylawyer

Bronze

Post by luxurylawyer » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:42 pm

I've enjoyed the NU thread too much to dip out now that I'm waitlisted, so I'm hanging in here. The consensus decision for waitlisted people is to "visit the school, they love that" etc. etc. Is there some sort of official visit people are talking about where you actually can meet with people and whatnot?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Scarlett66

New

Post by Scarlett66 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:07 pm

vinnnyvincenzo wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
I did this in college and I was pretty malnourished, mostly had like one meal a day and that was like a scrambled egg or a $5 footlong. The fact I slept till 3 pm everyday was also a contributing factor though.
Haha, no. It's all about aldi. Everything's dirt cheap! Pick one meat for the week and make 6 things based on it. And that's what dollar drink specials are for. Lakeview is awesome in my experience

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:13 pm

Scarlett66 wrote:
vinnnyvincenzo wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
Haha, no. It's all about aldi. Everything's dirt cheap! Pick one meat for the week and make 6 things based on it. And that's what dollar drink specials are for. Lakeview is awesome in my experience
hmm. alternatively, 2 shots of don julio and an iced coffee would cap your spending for the week. then again, I'm used to LA prices.

Either way, I'm going to hate being broke again.

untar614

Silver

Post by untar614 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:11 pm

Weren't we supposed to hear back about student hosts for ASW by today? Has anyone else applied for that but not heard anything?

Kikero

Silver

Post by Kikero » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:19 pm

untar614 wrote:Weren't we supposed to hear back about student hosts for ASW by today? Has anyone else applied for that but not heard anything?
The emails asking for additional students to host said that the deadline to sign up was at 12:00pm today. I'm hosting, and it only took about 15 minutes after I signed up to get paired up, so if you haven't heard by now I wouldn't hold out too much hope. :(

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”