UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BigZuck
Posts: 10853
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby BigZuck » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:05 am

uconjak wrote:I sent a email yesterday, told them i was going to visit LA In late feb. They called me to set up a time/date. They mentioned schollies at other schools, i told them that money would weigh heavily in my decision on which law school i would attend. They told me they will sit down with me to seriously discuss the situation. Will the move up their scholarship from 48 to 100k?


From what I have seen so far this cycle their whole "let us know if this is competitive" thing is a gigantic joke/flame. But maybe? Doubtful it doubles without some serious offers from seriously better schools though.

JohnMarshall17
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:52 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby JohnMarshall17 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:16 pm

BigZuck wrote:
uconjak wrote:I sent a email yesterday, told them i was going to visit LA In late feb. They called me to set up a time/date. They mentioned schollies at other schools, i told them that money would weigh heavily in my decision on which law school i would attend. They told me they will sit down with me to seriously discuss the situation. Will the move up their scholarship from 48 to 100k?


From what I have seen so far this cycle their whole "let us know if this is competitive" thing is a gigantic joke/flame. But maybe? Doubtful it doubles without some serious offers from seriously better schools though.


As someone who had their offer increased 15k to stay competitive with another offer, I can personally say it's not a joke. If they know you're seriously interested and they want you, they'll do what they can to up your offer.

User avatar
dproduct
Posts: 4087
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:58 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby dproduct » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:33 pm

JohnMarshall17 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
uconjak wrote:I sent a email yesterday, told them i was going to visit LA In late feb. They called me to set up a time/date. They mentioned schollies at other schools, i told them that money would weigh heavily in my decision on which law school i would attend. They told me they will sit down with me to seriously discuss the situation. Will the move up their scholarship from 48 to 100k?


From what I have seen so far this cycle their whole "let us know if this is competitive" thing is a gigantic joke/flame. But maybe? Doubtful it doubles without some serious offers from seriously better schools though.


As someone who had their offer increased 15k to stay competitive with another offer, I can personally say it's not a joke. If they know you're seriously interested and they want you, they'll do what they can to up your offer.


UCLA scholarship negotiations are no joke. There are countless people who have gone from 10/15k a year to near or full-rides. They also respond extremely fast.

zman
Posts: 500
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:31 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby zman » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:44 am

dproduct wrote:
JohnMarshall17 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
uconjak wrote:I sent a email yesterday, told them i was going to visit LA In late feb. They called me to set up a time/date. They mentioned schollies at other schools, i told them that money would weigh heavily in my decision on which law school i would attend. They told me they will sit down with me to seriously discuss the situation. Will the move up their scholarship from 48 to 100k?


From what I have seen so far this cycle their whole "let us know if this is competitive" thing is a gigantic joke/flame. But maybe? Doubtful it doubles without some serious offers from seriously better schools though.


As someone who had their offer increased 15k to stay competitive with another offer, I can personally say it's not a joke. If they know you're seriously interested and they want you, they'll do what they can to up your offer.


UCLA scholarship negotiations are no joke. There are countless people who have gone from 10/15k a year to near or full-rides. They also respond extremely fast.


yeah I have heard that, they will up you early in the cycle in no time.

BigZuck
Posts: 10853
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby BigZuck » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:53 am

I showed them multiple offers from peers that were 60k+ cheaper, they responded by giving me a 2K "need-based" grant. I loled, seemed like a joke at the time but you guys say its not so I guess that was serious business.

My main source of frustration was them saying multiple times "let us know if this is competitive." Well no UCLA, it's not. It's actually the worst scholarship offer I have so far. Then they offered 2k more and said the same thing. No, it's not competitive. I was sincere in my desire to attend becuase ultimately I would like to work in CA but I'm very risk averse and if they insist on costing significantly more than other schools who have better job prospects then I can't possibly justify attending.

I'll try a final time and if they don't budge then I will withdraw and open up a seat.

zman
Posts: 500
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:31 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby zman » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:01 am

BigZuck wrote:I showed them multiple offers from peers that were 60k+ cheaper, they responded by giving me a 2K "need-based" grant. I loled, seemed like a joke at the time but you guys say its not so I guess that was serious business.

My main source of frustration was them saying multiple times "let us know if this is competitive." Well no UCLA, it's not. It's actually the worst scholarship offer I have so far. Then they offered 2k more and said the same thing. No, it's not competitive. I was sincere in my desire to attend becuase ultimately I would like to work in CA but I'm very risk averse and if they insist on costing significantly more than other schools who have better job prospects then I can't possibly justify attending.

I'll try a final time and if they don't budge then I will withdraw and open up a seat.


well they can't give full or near full rides to everyone. they still have to con enough suckers to go at sticker to subsidize those who get good deals although I'm sure they are cutting some other places to be able to hand out the $

Rolltide52
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:44 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Rolltide52 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:12 am

ive been complete since jan 18th any conjectures about when ill hear back?

gonnaknow
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:30 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby gonnaknow » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:47 am

Rolltide52 wrote:ive been complete since jan 18th any conjectures about when ill hear back?


same here. complete since 1/12/13. hopefully we'll hear some good news on Monday.

volp
Posts: 98
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:35 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby volp » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:18 pm

not sure if i already posted here, but i was admitted in early january, went complete mid december. urm 3.6x, 168. dean's scholarship, full ride. I know UCLA isn't T14 but my god is it hard to turn down a full tuition scholarship

zman
Posts: 500
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:31 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby zman » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:15 pm

volp wrote:not sure if i already posted here, but i was admitted in early january, went complete mid december. urm 3.6x, 168. dean's scholarship, full ride. I know UCLA isn't T14 but my god is it hard to turn down a full tuition scholarship


take it.

WDH
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:15 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby WDH » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:30 pm

I got offered a pretty nice need based grant yesterday. $21,000 for next year, need to reapply each year and it depends on income and assets.

I was pretty surprised because I only submitted FAFSA last week and my need access on Thursday.

volp
Posts: 98
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:35 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby volp » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:40 pm

zman wrote:
volp wrote:not sure if i already posted here, but i was admitted in early january, went complete mid december. urm 3.6x, 168. dean's scholarship, full ride. I know UCLA isn't T14 but my god is it hard to turn down a full tuition scholarship


take it.


well i'm still waiting on a whole bunch of t14s for decisions, but their generosity is attractive.

User avatar
FromDCtoWhere
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby FromDCtoWhere » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:01 pm

gonnaknow wrote:
Rolltide52 wrote:ive been complete since jan 18th any conjectures about when ill hear back?


same here. complete since 1/12/13. hopefully we'll hear some good news on Monday.



Been complete since 1/14/13, any reason for saying Monday?
I have a 168/3.45 & UCLA is one of my top two choices, starting to freak out a bit.

User avatar
alwayssunnyinfl
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:05 pm

You've both been complete barely a month. There are some of us still sitting on Sept-Nov dates. Just try to forget about your application until you get a decision.

User avatar
yupyup
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:00 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby yupyup » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:07 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:You've both been complete barely a month. There are some of us still sitting on Sept-Nov dates. Just try to forget about your application until you get a decision.


+1

Complete early Nov. Still hanging on to hope!

thelawdoctor
Posts: 416
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:12 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby thelawdoctor » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:09 pm

Just go to Taft, in that state it can still sit the bar.

User avatar
yupyup
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:00 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby yupyup » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:11 pm

thelawdoctor wrote:Just go to Taft, in that state it can still sit the bar.


Was that directed at me?

User avatar
alwayssunnyinfl
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:15 pm

yupyup wrote:
thelawdoctor wrote:Just go to Taft, in that state it can still sit the bar.


Was that directed at me?

Pay no attention to the troll.

thelawdoctor
Posts: 416
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:12 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby thelawdoctor » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:16 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:You've both been complete barely a month. There are some of us still sitting on Sept-Nov dates. Just try to forget about your application until you get a decision.


You honestly aren't even a 1L yet..........................do you post while pooping?

shntn
Posts: 5319
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby shntn » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:16 pm

thelawdoctor wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:You've both been complete barely a month. There are some of us still sitting on Sept-Nov dates. Just try to forget about your application until you get a decision.


You honestly aren't even a 1L yet..........................do you post while pooping?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
alwayssunnyinfl
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:17 pm

shntn wrote:
thelawdoctor wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:You've both been complete barely a month. There are some of us still sitting on Sept-Nov dates. Just try to forget about your application until you get a decision.


You honestly aren't even a 1L yet..........................do you post while pooping?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The best part is that the answer is yes

thelawdoctor
Posts: 416
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:12 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby thelawdoctor » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:17 pm

yupyup wrote:
thelawdoctor wrote:Just go to Taft, in that state it can still sit the bar.


Was that directed at me?


At the whole topic in general.

User avatar
yupyup
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:00 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby yupyup » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:23 pm

ah sorry. :oops: Guess I get a bit on edge when it comes to UCLA (one of my dream schools), not to mention my numbers. :lol:

thelawdoctor
Posts: 416
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:12 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby thelawdoctor » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:25 pm

yupyup wrote:ah sorry. :oops: Guess I get a bit on edge when it comes to UCLA (one of my dream schools), not to mention my numbers. :lol:


It's ok, why not apply to the Berkeley campus if that is your goal?
More "brand recognition" that way with layman clients who heard on saved by the bell once that it was the Harvard of the West. (clients are sheep)

shntn
Posts: 5319
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby shntn » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:26 pm

thelawdoctor wrote:
yupyup wrote:ah sorry. :oops: Guess I get a bit on edge when it comes to UCLA (one of my dream schools), not to mention my numbers. :lol:


It's ok, why not apply to the Berkeley campus if that is your goal?
More "brand recognition" that way with layman clients who heard on saved by the bell once that it was the Harvard of the West. (clients are sheep)

Stop.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baby Gaga, CaptKangaroo, Google [Bot], hip to be Square, lillawyer2 and 15 guests