UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
bettercallsaul91
Posts: 187
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:23 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby bettercallsaul91 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:48 pm

T-T Please UCLA. Hoping for a miracle.

User avatar
lt_universe
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:22 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby lt_universe » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:58 pm

bettercallsaul91 wrote:T-T Please UCLA. Hoping for a miracle.

+1

fallingup
Posts: 481
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:34 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby fallingup » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:06 pm

I was really excited when I got my acceptance but now I am starting to worry because people on this site keep talking about how UCLA is not that great of a school relative to the T14 and the employment prospects are a cut below. Obviously I never thought UCLA was on the same level as T10, but I thought UCLA was basically just as good as the lower T14 at placing students at good law firms on the West Coast. Can someone point me to some facts that tell me where the truth lies? Please no answers from those with agendas - I want the truth even if it means (ESPECIALLY if it means) UCLA really is in a lower league.
Last edited by fallingup on Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
AKsnow
Posts: 167
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:41 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby AKsnow » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:08 pm

bitsy wrote:in via phone call with a merit scholly!! i want to nuzzle the kind dean for his splitter affection.

deff used 11 pt font and 1.5 spacing on my PS. id like to think that my maverick attitude set me apart.


Congrats Bitsy! Maybe see you there:)

zman
Posts: 500
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:31 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby zman » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:18 pm

fallingup wrote:I was really excited when I got my acceptance but now I am starting to worry because people on this site keep talking about how UCLA is not that great of a school relative to the T14 and the employment prospects are a cut below. Obviously I never thought UCLA was on the same level as T10, but I thought UCLA was basically just as good as the lower T14 at placing students at good law firms on the West Coast. Can someone point me to some facts that tell me where the truth lies? Please no answers from those with agendas - I want the truth even if it means (ESPECIALLY if it means) UCLA really is in a lower league.


it's fine on the west coast, I would go with UCLA with money over a T10-T14 if you want to work in LA. California market is worse than say NEw York which kills schools like UCLA but I would say UCLA for sure over Georgetown and probably cornell. In fact UCLA scores are way better than Cornell.

maxiguess
Posts: 164
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:04 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby maxiguess » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:19 pm

fallingup wrote:I was really excited when I got my acceptance but now I am starting to worry because people on this site keep talking about how UCLA is not that great of a school relative to the T14 and the employment prospects are a cut below. Obviously I never thought UCLA was on the same level as T10, but I thought UCLA was basically just as good as the lower T14 at placing students at good law firms on the West Coast. Can someone point me to some facts that tell me where the truth lies? Please no answers from those with agendas - I want the truth even if it means (ESPECIALLY if it means) UCLA really is in a lower league.


Like anything, it will depend on how you use your time there. No school is going to get you a job on its own. I think for practicing in Los Angeles it's a great school, probably better than some of the out of state T14. But you should be asking this of recent grads and current attorneys, probably not applicants (though I can think of a few here that I am sure will tell you they have a definite answer).

aaronbgavin
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:52 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby aaronbgavin » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:30 pm

megagnarley wrote:
aaronbgavin wrote:Just got the phone call from the Dean!!! In with Merit scholarship. Wam Bam.



Congrats!

When did you submit?


Complete 1/15

User avatar
WisemanAEKDB
Posts: 329
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:01 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby WisemanAEKDB » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:43 pm

Rejected. Feels bad man. :(

User avatar
dproduct
Posts: 4087
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:58 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby dproduct » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:51 pm

WisemanAEKDB wrote:Rejected. Feels bad man. :(


Sorry, brother. Email?

User avatar
pedestrian
Posts: 461
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby pedestrian » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:03 pm

you'rethemannowdawg wrote:
pedestrian wrote:Accepted by phone today!!!

:D :D :D :D

No word on schollys yet.

ETA: Submitted 12/3
GPA <3.3
LSAT >175


I'll be keeping an eye on you.


:shock:

User avatar
WisemanAEKDB
Posts: 329
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:01 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby WisemanAEKDB » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:03 pm

dproduct wrote:
WisemanAEKDB wrote:Rejected. Feels bad man. :(


Sorry, brother. Email?


Yes, it was quite heartwarming. "You are deniedddddd, asshole." was the basic content.

User avatar
GoldHattedGatsby
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:25 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby GoldHattedGatsby » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:30 pm

Applied 2/1 and went complete 2/5. I'm non-URM with a 171 LSAT and a 3.57 LSAC GPA. Any guesses on how my decision will turn out?

BigZuck
Posts: 10853
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby BigZuck » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:37 pm

zman wrote:
fallingup wrote:I was really excited when I got my acceptance but now I am starting to worry because people on this site keep talking about how UCLA is not that great of a school relative to the T14 and the employment prospects are a cut below. Obviously I never thought UCLA was on the same level as T10, but I thought UCLA was basically just as good as the lower T14 at placing students at good law firms on the West Coast. Can someone point me to some facts that tell me where the truth lies? Please no answers from those with agendas - I want the truth even if it means (ESPECIALLY if it means) UCLA really is in a lower league.


it's fine on the west coast, I would go with UCLA with money over a T10-T14 if you want to work in LA. California market is worse than say NEw York which kills schools like UCLA but I would say UCLA for sure over Georgetown and probably cornell. In fact UCLA scores are way better than Cornell.


So you would take UCLA with 5K a year over Duke at sticker?

But you would not take UCLA with 5K a year over Michigan at sticker?

Anyway, to answer the question overall UCLA is a cut below the t14 when it comes to job placement. Every school below the t14 is at least a cut below. Although UCLA/USC/Vandy/UT are all peers and they place fairly favorably with Georgetown but definitely worse than anything else in the T14.

If you want Southern CA then UCLA is a pretty good choice (although it's really expensive so I would be leery at sticker). If by "west coast" you mean Washington state or even Northern CA then I would rather take my chances at a T14 all else being equal.

Of course this is all based on numbers and statistics and we are all special snowflakes so feel free to disregard.

User avatar
dproduct
Posts: 4087
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:58 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby dproduct » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:38 pm

GoldHattedGatsby wrote:Applied 2/1 and went complete 2/5. I'm non-URM with a 171 LSAT and a 3.57 LSAC GPA. Any guesses on how my decision will turn out?


http://ucla.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/?whichCycle=1213

In.

With money to boot.

fallingup
Posts: 481
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:34 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby fallingup » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:56 pm

BigZuck wrote:So you would take UCLA with 5K a year over Duke at sticker?

But you would not take UCLA with 5K a year over Michigan at sticker?

Anyway, to answer the question overall UCLA is a cut below the t14 when it comes to job placement. Every school below the t14 is at least a cut below. Although UCLA/USC/Vandy/UT are all peers and they place fairly favorably with Georgetown but definitely worse than anything else in the T14.

If you want Southern CA then UCLA is a pretty good choice (although it's really expensive so I would be leery at sticker). If by "west coast" you mean Washington state or even Northern CA then I would rather take my chances at a T14 all else being equal.

Of course this is all based on numbers and statistics and we are all special snowflakes so feel free to disregard.


Thank you, this is helpful information and it confirms what I have been hearing. Can you point me to your numbers and statistics?

zman
Posts: 500
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:31 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby zman » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:05 pm

BigZuck wrote:
zman wrote:
fallingup wrote:I was really excited when I got my acceptance but now I am starting to worry because people on this site keep talking about how UCLA is not that great of a school relative to the T14 and the employment prospects are a cut below. Obviously I never thought UCLA was on the same level as T10, but I thought UCLA was basically just as good as the lower T14 at placing students at good law firms on the West Coast. Can someone point me to some facts that tell me where the truth lies? Please no answers from those with agendas - I want the truth even if it means (ESPECIALLY if it means) UCLA really is in a lower league.


it's fine on the west coast, I would go with UCLA with money over a T10-T14 if you want to work in LA. California market is worse than say NEw York which kills schools like UCLA but I would say UCLA for sure over Georgetown and probably cornell. In fact UCLA scores are way better than Cornell.


So you would take UCLA with 5K a year over Duke at sticker?

But you would not take UCLA with 5K a year over Michigan at sticker?

Anyway, to answer the question overall UCLA is a cut below the t14 when it comes to job placement. Every school below the t14 is at least a cut below. Although UCLA/USC/Vandy/UT are all peers and they place fairly favorably with Georgetown but definitely worse than anything else in the T14.

If you want Southern CA then UCLA is a pretty good choice (although it's really expensive so I would be leery at sticker). If by "west coast" you mean Washington state or even Northern CA then I would rather take my chances at a T14 all else being equal.

Of course this is all based on numbers and statistics and we are all special snowflakes so feel free to disregard.











When I said money, I meant lots of money. That should go without saying.

BigZuck
Posts: 10853
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby BigZuck » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:48 pm

fallingup wrote:
BigZuck wrote:So you would take UCLA with 5K a year over Duke at sticker?

But you would not take UCLA with 5K a year over Michigan at sticker?

Anyway, to answer the question overall UCLA is a cut below the t14 when it comes to job placement. Every school below the t14 is at least a cut below. Although UCLA/USC/Vandy/UT are all peers and they place fairly favorably with Georgetown but definitely worse than anything else in the T14.

If you want Southern CA then UCLA is a pretty good choice (although it's really expensive so I would be leery at sticker). If by "west coast" you mean Washington state or even Northern CA then I would rather take my chances at a T14 all else being equal.

Of course this is all based on numbers and statistics and we are all special snowflakes so feel free to disregard.


Thank you, this is helpful information and it confirms what I have been hearing. Can you point me to your numbers and statistics?


Sure: lawschooltransparency.com

zman, "money" and "a lot of" probably needs some clarification. An individual might be elated with a 15k scholarship from UCLA as an out of state student and think that is a lot of money and super generous but it might not be a good bet.

Although of course everyone's money threshold depends on career goals, risk tolerance, etc.

zz888
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:42 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby zz888 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:48 pm

been complete since 12/21....haven't heard a peep since O__O have people who applied around then been already accepted/rejected/WL?

User avatar
alwayssunnyinfl
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:50 pm

zz888 wrote:been complete since 12/21....haven't heard a peep since O__O have people who applied around then been already accepted/rejected/WL?

I went compete in late October/early November.

User avatar
dproduct
Posts: 4087
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:58 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby dproduct » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:55 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
zz888 wrote:been complete since 12/21....haven't heard a peep since O__O have people who applied around then been already accepted/rejected/WL?

I went compete in late October/early November.


ZZ, there are tons of earlier complete dates. UCLA has no structure. They reject fast, WL fast, and accept fast. But on the flip-side, some people will wait for MONTHS. Just sit tight. We're here for you.

shntn
Posts: 5319
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby shntn » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:57 pm

dproduct wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
zz888 wrote:been complete since 12/21....haven't heard a peep since O__O have people who applied around then been already accepted/rejected/WL?

I went compete in late October/early November.


ZZ, there are tons of earlier complete dates. UCLA has no structure. They reject fast, WL fast, and accept fast. But on the flip-side, some people will wait for MONTHS. Just sit tight. We're here for you.

Yeah dude. For every school, there are some lightning-fast turnarounds and some ridiculously slow ones. Once your app goes into the black box, just sit tight and try to relax. For your sanity's sake.

User avatar
alwayssunnyinfl
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:03 pm

Oh, just realized this is the same person from the Vandy thread. If it makes you feel any better, my numbers are neither auto-reject nor auto-admit territory, so a long wait is not necessarily a bad thing.

BigZuck
Posts: 10853
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby BigZuck » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:03 pm

shntn wrote:
dproduct wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
zz888 wrote:been complete since 12/21....haven't heard a peep since O__O have people who applied around then been already accepted/rejected/WL?

I went compete in late October/early November.


ZZ, there are tons of earlier complete dates. UCLA has no structure. They reject fast, WL fast, and accept fast. But on the flip-side, some people will wait for MONTHS. Just sit tight. We're here for you.

Yeah dude. For every school, there are some lightning-fast turnarounds and some ridiculously slow ones. Once your app goes into the black box, just sit tight and try to relax. For your sanity's sake.


+1 to all this.

Just wait until your dream school leaves you hanging for 5 months only to reject you in TWO consecutive cycles. Then you will know true pain.

zz888
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:42 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby zz888 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:07 pm

you have no idea how much this solidarity helps!! why cant they just be fasterrrrrrr :(

gtrbrndn
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:23 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby gtrbrndn » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:22 pm

Got the acceptance call today!

Any chance I get a scholarship with a 3.5/168/several years of WE? Would they have mentioned this over the phone?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bleakchimera2, cantexplaingottago, Christinabruin, Long shot hero and 14 guests