UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
halestorm
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:58 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby halestorm » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:45 pm

digifly wrote:
halestorm wrote:Got the call from the dean today- I'm in! They're offering me $15,000/year. 167/4.0, submitted 11/10, complete 11/16. This is my first reply from all the schools I applied to, and it alleviated some pressure now that I know SOMEBODY wants me. :roll:

Congrats!


Thanks!! And to you, too!!

User avatar
halestorm
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:58 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby halestorm » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:46 pm

efresh88 wrote:For those people who already know their financial package...were you told this on the phone when you got your acceptance call?

I got the call today too (YAY) but no info about money :/

Stats/Dates:

3.87/165 URM MA

Complete -11/6
Call 11/30


I was told on the phone, yes. But don't lose hope- I was also told more information is on the way via snail mail, so you might receive that information later.

User avatar
feralinfant
Posts: 887
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:54 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby feralinfant » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:57 pm

i wish ucla would start showing some splitter love. lsn doesn't have anyone with below a 3.4 accepted yet.

shntn
Posts: 5319
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby shntn » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:19 pm

feralinfant wrote:i wish ucla would start showing some splitter love. lsn doesn't have anyone with below a 3.4 accepted yet.

I was pretty close to that threshold, but I also got no scholarship offer like I was kind of led to believe. :|

User avatar
digifly
Posts: 652
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:28 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby digifly » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:13 pm

halestorm wrote:
efresh88 wrote:For those people who already know their financial package...were you told this on the phone when you got your acceptance call?

I got the call today too (YAY) but no info about money :/

Stats/Dates:

3.87/165 URM MA

Complete -11/6
Call 11/30


I was told on the phone, yes. But don't lose hope- I was also told more information is on the way via snail mail, so you might receive that information later.


Same. I expect a lot of people get info in the mail rather than directly over the phone, though. I'm sure it depends.

User avatar
digifly
Posts: 652
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:28 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby digifly » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:15 pm

feralinfant wrote:i wish ucla would start showing some splitter love. lsn doesn't have anyone with below a 3.4 accepted yet.


The English major is one of the hardest to get a perfect GPA in, mostly because professors ALWAYS have some reason to dock your essays. I know plenty of geniuses who feel your pain.

User avatar
orbbs
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:44 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby orbbs » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:17 pm

feralinfant wrote:i wish ucla would start showing some splitter love. lsn doesn't have anyone with below a 3.4 accepted yet.


Hold out hope. I'm a splitter with sub 3.4 (though just barely) and was accepted earlier this week.

User avatar
harveyfan
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:36 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby harveyfan » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:10 pm

digifly wrote:Just got the call. IN with $$$!! :D
Stats and submit dates in profile.



Congrats! I submitted not to far after you - went complete 11/20. Similar stats - not twins - but close (169 and 3.83) so hopefully I get a call soon!

Congrats again!

User avatar
digifly
Posts: 652
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:28 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby digifly » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:09 pm

harveyfan wrote:
digifly wrote:Just got the call. IN with $$$!! :D
Stats and submit dates in profile.



Congrats! I submitted not to far after you - went complete 11/20. Similar stats - not twins - but close (169 and 3.83) so hopefully I get a call soon!

Congrats again!


Thanks! My LSN numbers are slightly off for anonymity purposes. Actual GPA is 3.88, so you're closer in numbers than you think. Good luck and keep us updated!

User avatar
twinkletoes16
Posts: 1317
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby twinkletoes16 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:22 pm

Just submitted today, know a few people there who looooove it and I want to stay in CA. still waiting on 1 more LOR but went ahead and got it in.

User avatar
ashockofpink
Posts: 125
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:29 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby ashockofpink » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:06 pm

florida1949 wrote:
ashockofpink wrote:Just got in via phone call :D
was pretty giddy. 168/3.72, got $60k ($20k/year), so somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 a year.

Congrats to everyone else!!!


congrats, when did you apply?



Around 11/15. I was surprised about the scholly, stupid lawschoolpredictor had them as a "consider" for me. But hey, two weeks from submission to acceptance + $$$ is fiiiiiine by me.

User avatar
timeandspace11
Posts: 606
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:16 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby timeandspace11 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:23 pm

ashockofpink wrote:
florida1949 wrote:
ashockofpink wrote:Just got in via phone call :D
was pretty giddy. 168/3.72, got $60k ($20k/year), so somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 a year.

Congrats to everyone else!!!


congrats, when did you apply?



Around 11/15. I was surprised about the scholly, stupid lawschoolpredictor had them as a "consider" for me. But hey, two weeks from submission to acceptance + $$$ is fiiiiiine by me.


Congrats. Im guessing Lawschool predictor could be off possibly because there are fewer applicants this cycle, and if the trend is like last year, especially fewer applicants with LSAT scores in the high 160s low 170s. Whatever the case congrats!!!

User avatar
Ramius
Posts: 2005
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:39 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Ramius » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:34 pm

timeandspace11 wrote:
ashockofpink wrote:
florida1949 wrote:
ashockofpink wrote:Just got in via phone call :D
was pretty giddy. 168/3.72, got $60k ($20k/year), so somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 a year.

Congrats to everyone else!!!


congrats, when did you apply?



Around 11/15. I was surprised about the scholly, stupid lawschoolpredictor had them as a "consider" for me. But hey, two weeks from submission to acceptance + $$$ is fiiiiiine by me.


Congrats. Im guessing Lawschool predictor could be off possibly because there are fewer applicants this cycle, and if the trend is like last year, especially fewer applicants with LSAT scores in the high 160s low 170s. Whatever the case congrats!!!


What does everyone think is the negotiating window for scholarships, given this strangely unique applicant pool? While I haven't received any offers for scholarships, will UCLA roll out the red carpet for my 168 somewhere down the road?

shntn
Posts: 5319
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby shntn » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:36 pm

matthewsean85 wrote:What does everyone think is the negotiating window for scholarships, given this strangely unique applicant pool? While I haven't received any offers for scholarships, will UCLA roll out the red carpet for my 168 somewhere down the road?

My offer letter stated that they want to hear about other schools' offers, presumably to match, but I haven't tried that yet.

JohnMarshall17
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:52 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby JohnMarshall17 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:41 pm

shntn wrote:
matthewsean85 wrote:What does everyone think is the negotiating window for scholarships, given this strangely unique applicant pool? While I haven't received any offers for scholarships, will UCLA roll out the red carpet for my 168 somewhere down the road?

My offer letter stated that they want to hear about other schools' offers, presumably to match, but I haven't tried that yet.


If I'm not mistaken, you have amazing numbers. I wonder if that interest in hearing other schools' offers applies to high 160s (I have a 168 as well). Time will tell.

User avatar
timeandspace11
Posts: 606
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:16 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby timeandspace11 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:59 pm

Im no expert on the subject, but negotiating for scholarships does seem to be a relatively common practice. There are a few good threads on here pertaining to the issue. Schools know it is expensive and it certainly doesnt hurt to ask. You would probably have the most leverage when you have some $$$ from other schools. Just explain that you that financial aid will play a prominent role where you go

User avatar
CO2016YEAH
Posts: 578
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:42 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby CO2016YEAH » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:27 am

JohnMarshall17 wrote:
shntn wrote:
matthewsean85 wrote:What does everyone think is the negotiating window for scholarships, given this strangely unique applicant pool? While I haven't received any offers for scholarships, will UCLA roll out the red carpet for my 168 somewhere down the road?

My offer letter stated that they want to hear about other schools' offers, presumably to match, but I haven't tried that yet.


If I'm not mistaken, you have amazing numbers. I wonder if that interest in hearing other schools' offers applies to high 160s (I have a 168 as well). Time will tell.


I agree with most of what has been said above. But I wouldn't go as far as to say they will be "rolling out the red carpet."

From what I understand, UCLA has a pretty tight range of LSAT scores that matriculate. Applications (and LSAT administrations) are said to be down, with the major loss coming from the high end. According to US News, last years 25-75% range was 164-169, with 168 being the median for program entrants. UCLA is a newer school that has been climbed the ranks; basically, it is a solid safety for high numbers, an extremely popular choice for mid-range numbers, and a significant reach for most of us below 25%-50%. According to the adcom member I spoke with most of the higher range will get admitted and not come, and the takeaway from this and the high application #'s is a big, fat pool of "good" numbers to admit and take a yield from.

Many speculate that this year's applicant pool will be more gracious to those of us that scored well but not "exceptionally" well. Like has been suggested, I'd wait and see what other offers you get and politely call later in the cycle to express sincere thanks for the admit and to ask if there is any way you can discuss the financial situation due to cost being a concern of yours. At that point they will know exactly how your 168 reflects your outstanding merit in relation to the remainder of the applicant pool.

Keep in mind that I'm just a 0L, like you. Although I believe I have spend an inordinate amount of time obsessing, researching, and discussing this whole law school proposition. :)

User avatar
2012Split177
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:46 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby 2012Split177 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:51 am

CO2016YEAH wrote:
JohnMarshall17 wrote:
shntn wrote:
matthewsean85 wrote:What does everyone think is the negotiating window for scholarships, given this strangely unique applicant pool? While I haven't received any offers for scholarships, will UCLA roll out the red carpet for my 168 somewhere down the road?

My offer letter stated that they want to hear about other schools' offers, presumably to match, but I haven't tried that yet.


If I'm not mistaken, you have amazing numbers. I wonder if that interest in hearing other schools' offers applies to high 160s (I have a 168 as well). Time will tell.


I agree with most of what has been said above. But I wouldn't go as far as to say they will be "rolling out the red carpet."

From what I understand, UCLA has a pretty tight range of LSAT scores that matriculate. Applications (and LSAT administrations) are said to be down, with the major loss coming from the high end. According to US News, last years 25-75% range was 164-169, with 168 being the median for program entrants. UCLA is a newer school that has been climbed the ranks; basically, it is a solid safety for high numbers, an extremely popular choice for mid-range numbers, and a significant reach for most of us below 25%-50%. According to the adcom member I spoke with most of the higher range will get admitted and not come, and the takeaway from this and the high application #'s is a big, fat pool of "good" numbers to admit and take a yield from.

Many speculate that this year's applicant pool will be more gracious to those of us that scored well but not "exceptionally" well. Like has been suggested, I'd wait and see what other offers you get and politely call later in the cycle to express sincere thanks for the admit and to ask if there is any way you can discuss the financial situation due to cost being a concern of yours. At that point they will know exactly how your 168 reflects your outstanding merit in relation to the remainder of the applicant pool.

Keep in mind that I'm just a 0L, like you. Although I believe I have spend an inordinate amount of time obsessing, researching, and discussing this whole law school proposition. :)


Fellow obsessor - are you saying they would YP someone with a higher LSAT? I'm 3.3/177, so not all-around impressive on account of the low GPA - should I email them or anything showing my legitimate interest in the school?

User avatar
TheThriller
Posts: 2285
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:12 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby TheThriller » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:54 am


Fellow obsessor - are you saying they would YP someone with a higher LSAT? I'm 3.3/177, so not all-around impressive on account of the low GPA - should I email them or anything showing my legitimate interest in the school?


No, they already know you have legitimate interest in the school when you sent in your application. If you get WLd, then it's time to send in a LOCI expressing continuing legitimate interest.

User avatar
CO2016YEAH
Posts: 578
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:42 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby CO2016YEAH » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:09 am

2012Split177 wrote:
Fellow obsessor - are you saying they would YP someone with a higher LSAT? I'm 3.3/177, so not all-around impressive on account of the low GPA - should I email them or anything showing my legitimate interest in the school?


I in no way intended to indicate they would YP by denying high LSATs. In fact, the exact wording I was given by the aforementioned adcom member at a law school forum was that "we'll admit those people [with lsat numbersin the 170's] but they won't come." However, if they do engage in YP I would believe they would consider the whole picture when making a decision about an applicant.

Didn't UCLA have a "Why UCLA" type statement and questions about program contributions? What I've read in other threads is that a strongly expressed interest will protect you from YP. :) I'm really not that knowledgeable on the whole YP matter, though.

In your most articulate, non-paranoid sounding, non-offensive way you might want to call admissions and ask if an additional letter of interest is necessary due to the fact that your LSAT is well above the 75% percentile (basically, asking if you have anything to worry about). On the other hand, maybe it is premature for that, as in the unlikely event you aren't admitted I would think they would rather wait-list you then deny you, at which point you can send a LOCI??? Maybe other people can chime in on this; I tend to think you'll get an admit, and that YP is a bit of a boogey man.

der_saeufer
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:27 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby der_saeufer » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:57 am

matthewsean85 wrote:What does everyone think is the negotiating window for scholarships, given this strangely unique applicant pool? While I haven't received any offers for scholarships, will UCLA roll out the red carpet for my 168 somewhere down the road?


Don't know about the red carpet, but every bit of correspondence I had with UCLA about $ either implied or specifically expressed that they were open to negotiation.

Also don't forget that UCLA awards merit and need aid separately. I applied late-ish in the cycle last year and got my need award first, around a month after finding out I got in. I then got a merit offer and successfully negotiated more merit $ from UCLA after showing other schools' offers.

Also I'm a 1L here :P

User avatar
trojandave
Posts: 389
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:25 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby trojandave » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:17 am

CO2016YEAH wrote:
2012Split177 wrote:
Fellow obsessor - are you saying they would YP someone with a higher LSAT? I'm 3.3/177, so not all-around impressive on account of the low GPA - should I email them or anything showing my legitimate interest in the school?


I in no way intended to indicate they would YP by denying high LSATs. In fact, the exact wording I was given by the aforementioned adcom member at a law school forum was that "we'll admit those people [with lsat numbersin the 170's] but they won't come." However, if they do engage in YP I would believe they would consider the whole picture when making a decision about an applicant.

Didn't UCLA have a "Why UCLA" type statement and questions about program contributions? What I've read in other threads is that a strongly expressed interest will protect you from YP. :) I'm really not that knowledgeable on the whole YP matter, though.

In your most articulate, non-paranoid sounding, non-offensive way you might want to call admissions and ask if an additional letter of interest is necessary due to the fact that your LSAT is well above the 75% percentile (basically, asking if you have anything to worry about). On the other hand, maybe it is premature for that, as in the unlikely event you aren't admitted I would think they would rather wait-list you then deny you, at which point you can send a LOCI??? Maybe other people can chime in on this; I tend to think you'll get an admit, and that YP is a bit of a boogey man.


You may be on to something here. My LSAT is above their 75th, and my decision took a lot longer than people who applied later and with lower numbers. Also many of those people were offered substantial scholarship money and so far, nothing over here. Maybe they just weren't wowed by the app, but it could also lend credence to your theory... Maybe the school just assumes some applicants won't come and they don't want to tie up resources on applicants they assume will string them along and go elsewhere? If so that's too bad because there are a number of factors at play and money definitely matters to a great deal of applicants. PM if you want any specifics

User avatar
Observant_Poster
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:31 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Observant_Poster » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:20 pm

Dear UCLA

Remember that $20 I said I would donate to the alumni association... yaaaa that's not going to happen.

- a dinged early decision applicant
(160/166/3.59)

User avatar
TheThriller
Posts: 2285
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:12 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby TheThriller » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:24 pm

Observant_Poster wrote:Dear UCLA

Remember that $20 I said I would donate to the alumni association... yaaaa that's not going to happen.

- a dinged early decision applicant
(160/166/3.59)


Sorry bud, I'll be right there with you soon (except RD)

hattrick87
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:14 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby hattrick87 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:27 pm

Observant_Poster wrote:Dear UCLA

Remember that $20 I said I would donate to the alumni association... yaaaa that's not going to happen.

- a dinged early decision applicant
(160/166/3.59)


Shit, did you hear already??




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], henryyou and 9 guests