UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bruin91

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby bruin91 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:03 pm

clouded.memory wrote:I haven't checked this thread in awhile, so I don't know if this has already been mentioned (and my apologies, if it has), but after withdrawing yesterday, I received a call from the Admissions Office notifying me that my application was with the Scholarship Committee and under consideration for merit aid. They asked me how much I was looking for, but I turned them down. Anyways, I thought this information might be helpful to those of you admits who were admitted earlier, but haven't heard anything about merit aid yet.

I... want... this :)

boblawlob

Postby boblawlob » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:21 pm

AKsnow wrote:
chadbrochill wrote:
ht2988 wrote:I think I'm ready to commit to UCLA!!! Unless a miracle happens and I get into Columbia or off the WL at Chicago, I'm pretty excited to say that I'll be in Westwood this fall :-) congrats to everyone who got in. And to those who didn't, I applied with a score of 161 in the 2010-2011 cycle and was not surprisingly rejected. I studied my ass off last summer and retook and scored 173 and now I'm in with $120k. Don't sell yourselves short - if u aren't getting into the schools you'd like to attend, change your study plan and retake!

Congrats ht, thats a great scholly offer!

Also I have a question to others who have been waitlisted? Did you fax the form to remain on the WL or is there some way to fill out the pdf using a computer? It asks for a signature so are they expecting it through fax?

Could you sign it and scan it and e-mail it back as a PDF?

Yes you can.

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:55 pm

Heard back about my request for merit aid info. They told me to let them know what other offers I have...

Really? You couldn't try to flatter me with a nice offer and *then* negotiate based on my other offers? You want to lowball me as soon as possible? Pretty disappointing. I'm a late applicant, so I only have one other offer so far- an okay amount of money from WUSTL.. It hardly even seems worth replying. Even if they match that offer, it still wouldn't be enough to justify me attending.

Should I respond right away with my one offer, or wait for some more offers to roll in first to hopefully gain some more leverage? Or is "I can't afford to attend your law school if you don't beat this offer" leverage enough? Ugh. X\

JohnMarshall17

Postby JohnMarshall17 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:25 am

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Heard back about my request for merit aid info. They told me to let them know what other offers I have...

Really? You couldn't try to flatter me with a nice offer and *then* negotiate based on my other offers? You want to lowball me as soon as possible? Pretty disappointing. I'm a late applicant, so I only have one other offer so far- an okay amount of money from WUSTL.. It hardly even seems worth replying. Even if they match that offer, it still wouldn't be enough to justify me attending.

Should I respond right away with my one offer, or wait for some more offers to roll in first to hopefully gain some more leverage? Or is "I can't afford to attend your law school if you don't beat this offer" leverage enough? Ugh. X\

....well I don't think you have much time left to wait. It looks like you're experiencing the woes of a late applicant. I would send the offer. Saying you can't afford it alone isn't really leverage. They have a waitlist for a reason and they'll need a better reason than "it costs too much" for them to shell out money so that you'll attend their school.

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:29 am

JohnMarshall17 wrote:
TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Heard back about my request for merit aid info. They told me to let them know what other offers I have...

....well I don't think you have much time left to wait. It looks like you're experiencing the woes of a late applicant. I would send the offer. Saying you can't afford it alone isn't really leverage. They have a waitlist for a reason and they'll need a better reason than "it costs too much" for them to shell out money so that you'll attend their school.

Yep, in a pretty crappy position. *sigh* Thanks for your advice.

CourCour

Postby CourCour » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:42 am

Send them this offer and then you can renegotiate when new offers roll in. But don't hold your breath too much. I showed them my WUSTL for $25k a year and they came back with $10k.

yodamiked

Postby yodamiked » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:17 am

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:
JohnMarshall17 wrote:

Yep, in a pretty crappy position. *sigh* Thanks for your advice.

PM'd you

violettre

Postby violettre » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:56 am

Reread the email they sent when they notified me that my application was complete:

We will make admission decisions through the end of April. Admission decisions will be sent through email, so please let us know if your email address changes.

Is it considered the end of April yet? :shock: dying over here.

Hrun

Postby Hrun » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:59 am

violettre wrote:Reread the email they sent when they notified me that my application was complete:

We will make admission decisions through the end of April. Admission decisions will be sent through email, so please let us know if your email address changes.

When did you apply?

AKsnow

Postby AKsnow » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:02 pm

boblawlob wrote:
AKsnow wrote:
chadbrochill wrote:
ht2988 wrote:I think I'm ready to commit to UCLA!!! Unless a miracle happens and I get into Columbia or off the WL at Chicago, I'm pretty excited to say that I'll be in Westwood this fall :-) congrats to everyone who got in. And to those who didn't, I applied with a score of 161 in the 2010-2011 cycle and was not surprisingly rejected. I studied my ass off last summer and retook and scored 173 and now I'm in with $120k. Don't sell yourselves short - if u aren't getting into the schools you'd like to attend, change your study plan and retake!

Congrats ht, thats a great scholly offer!

Also I have a question to others who have been waitlisted? Did you fax the form to remain on the WL or is there some way to fill out the pdf using a computer? It asks for a signature so are they expecting it through fax?

Could you sign it and scan it and e-mail it back as a PDF?

Yes you can.

I was more proposing an idea than asking if I actually could haha.

violettre

Postby violettre » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:12 pm

Hrun wrote:
violettre wrote:Reread the email they sent when they notified me that my application was complete:

When did you apply?

Went complete on 1/28

Hrun

Postby Hrun » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:43 pm

violettre wrote:
Hrun wrote:

When did you apply?

Went complete on 1/28

I went complete around the same time. UCLA is killing me with the waiting as well.

yodamiked

Postby yodamiked » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:16 pm

What are people's thoughts on UCLA not ranking its students? In one way, if you're hanging around median it helps you out, but if you manage to kick butt and make it into the top 10%, my concern is that you're not going to get the same opportunities you would at a school that ranks its students. Seems like it lowers your risks, but puts everyone (even those who may not deserve it) at more equal footing. Thoughts?

KingFish

Postby KingFish » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:35 pm

yodamiked wrote:What are people's thoughts on UCLA not ranking its students? In one way, if you're hanging around median it helps you out, but if you manage to kick butt and make it into the top 10%, my concern is that you're not going to get the same opportunities you would at a school that ranks its students. Seems like it lowers your risks, but puts everyone (even those who may not deserve it) at more equal footing. Thoughts?

If you get good enough grades to be top 10%, the employers will be able to tell just from looking at your transcript and seeing all the A's. Maybe a current Bruin can answer, but I doubt it hurts students at all. Most top schools don't rank right?

b123

Postby b123 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:56 pm

Quick question: am I the only one still waiting since late November?

yupyup

Postby yupyup » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:07 am

b123 wrote:Quick question: am I the only one still waiting since late November?

Waiting since early Nov. here. :?

leximex21

Postby leximex21 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:20 pm

Amen. Called last friday, complete 12/16, said they still hadn't made a decision on my application..

mac2016

Postby mac2016 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:32 pm

leximex21 wrote:

Amen. Called last friday, complete 12/16, said they still hadn't made a decision on my application..

Adding to this, mine was complete in early February (haven't waited as long and you all so I'm sorry for your wait) and has yet to be decided on. Sent a LOCI and got a quick response but it does feel like the window is quickly closing.

atomist

Postby atomist » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:41 pm

hey guys, I have a question about need based aid.

I was admitted back in february and received my need based award in march. although I said that I was an independent on need access, my award is extremely small: 8k/year in grants. if I attend UCLA in the fall I'll have to borrow upwards of 60k in federal loans.

I called financial aid today and was told that even though I regard myself as an independent (I just finished a master's which I paid for myself) I don't actually count because my parents helped pay my way through college, and it hasn't been 6 years yet since I was a dependent (6 years being the minimum time required to be regarded as independent).

I also did not receive a merit based award on admission. is there anything I can do at this stage to make a decision to enroll in the fall more rational? I was told to appeal to dean shwartz, but I don't have money elsewhere that I can negotiate with.

is my award unusually low? I was expecting way more in need based aid, just given the fact that I've been independent in effect since I finished college in 2010.

syd625

Postby syd625 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:46 pm

atomist wrote:hey guys, I have a question about need based aid.

I was admitted back in february and received my need based award in march. although I said that I was an independent on need access, my award is extremely small: 8k/year in grants. if I attend UCLA in the fall I'll have to borrow upwards of 60k in federal loans.

I called financial aid today and was told that even though I regard myself as an independent (I just finished a master's which I paid for myself) I don't actually count because my parents helped pay my way through college, and it hasn't been 6 years yet since I was a dependent (6 years being the minimum time required to be regarded as independent).

I also did not receive a merit based award on admission. is there anything I can do at this stage to make a decision to enroll in the fall more rational? I was told to appeal to dean shwartz, but I don't have money elsewhere that I can negotiate with.

is my award unusually low? I was expecting way more in need based aid, just given the fact that I've been independent in effect since I finished college in 2010.

I don't think 8k is that low for a need-based award. I'm poor, my family is as well, and I received 10k. I did get a merit scholly, though.

yodamiked

Postby yodamiked » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:04 pm

Pm'd you

maxiguess

Postby maxiguess » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:07 pm

I do qualify as an independent and was only awarded 8k for need.

yodamiked

Postby yodamiked » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:52 pm

Anyone know how long it takes to hear back from ULCA housing?

onionskin

Postby onionskin » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:48 pm

Golden Bear 11 wrote:
arak wrote:I got wait listed at UCLA a few days ago. Any advice? This is basically my dream school.

Retake in June. Get a higher score and get admitted off WL with a scholarship

Is UCLA accepting June LSATs?

Nari Rina

Postby Nari Rina » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:00 am

mac2016 wrote:
leximex21 wrote:

Adding to this, mine was complete in early February (haven't waited as long and you all so I'm sorry for your wait) and has yet to be decided on. Sent a LOCI and got a quick response but it does feel like the window is quickly closing.

Complete on 1/11. Also sent a LOCI and got a quick response (just to say that its added in the file).

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”