UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
emzizzle
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:00 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby emzizzle » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:16 pm

BigZuck wrote:
emzizzle wrote:Hi, just checking in now (late, I know). Congrats to everyone who's been admitted already!!

I saw someone brought this up earlier, but no one responded--is it necessary/recommended to fill out the Programmatic Contribution section of the application? Any advice would be appreciated!


Considering they thought enough of the question to make it its own section on the application, what makes you think it would be optional?


Considering there's a checkbox at the top that says, "This section does not apply to me," I think it's optional. But thanks for the unhelpful and unnecessary answer.

I'm new here, so I'm sorry if my question was stupid... Should I have posted in a different forum?

Maybe the more pertinent question would be: what did others say for this section? And did you explain it in the 999 character box, or attach an addendum? Thanks to someone who actually gives me a constructive answer!

User avatar
emzizzle
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:00 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby emzizzle » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:23 pm

dproduct wrote:
emzizzle wrote:Hi, just checking in now (late, I know). Congrats to everyone who's been admitted already!!

I saw someone brought this up earlier, but no one responded--is it necessary/recommended to fill out the Programmatic Contribution section of the application? Any advice would be appreciated!


IMO, If you have nothing to say, it may be best to leave it be.

I know plenty of people who have been admitted and did not answer it.


Thanks for the info! (And for being helpful and not mean about it.)

BigZuck
Posts: 10873
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby BigZuck » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:25 pm

Every part of the application has that box. I wouldn't click it though unless it's something that truly does not apply such as an ED contract when you're not applying ED.

I wrote about some research I did in undergrad and how that showed "good research skills" or whatnot and how interest in that research/field related to a specific clinical offering at UCLA.

BigZuck
Posts: 10873
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby BigZuck » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:32 pm

Not answering seems like a bad idea to me. The common application on LSAC that these schools use has a template with sections that almost all schools use. However, no other school (at least in the top 20) has that section, meaning that UCLA most likely created it specifically for their app. If they thought it important enough to create/include then why risk looking lazy and/or having no real interest in UCLA by not bothering to fill it out?

User avatar
emzizzle
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:00 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby emzizzle » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:41 pm

Fair enough, I think you're right. Thanks for the advice.

I'm leaning towards writing about their Critical Race Studies Program, since I majored in race theory in college. I'm worried that it might detract from my overall "social justice and child advocacy" theme in my PS, though. UCLA doesn't have a family law specialization, and I'm not applying specifically to the Epstein Public Interest Program.

User avatar
gate08
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:06 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby gate08 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:13 pm

emzizzle wrote:Fair enough, I think you're right. Thanks for the advice.

I'm leaning towards writing about their Critical Race Studies Program, since I majored in race theory in college. I'm worried that it might detract from my overall "social justice and child advocacy" theme in my PS, though. UCLA doesn't have a family law specialization, and I'm not applying specifically to the Epstein Public Interest Program.


If it's any help, I did fine without it. I also thought most of my research experience was pretty average, though.

By the way, are you a Jets fan (presumably a Sanchez supporter, then) or just not a Tebow fan?

User avatar
dsn32
Posts: 435
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 3:40 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby dsn32 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:31 pm

Has anyone reached out to UCLA about merit aid? I just did and set up a Skype interview with them, and I'm curious if anyone has experience with this? I haven't seen anyone else speak of this, although I guess it could be a very good or very bad thing if its a unique case hahaha.

WhiskeynCoke
Posts: 372
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:12 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby WhiskeynCoke » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:10 am

Considering they thought enough of the question to make it its own section on the application, what makes you think it would be optional?


How about the fact that it's not required in order to complete the application (thus optional)? I checked "does not apply" and left it blank because I wasn't conceited enough to think that as an ignorant 0L, with no prior "career," I would be able to genuinely articulate what contributions I could make to their program. I didn't feel like bullshitting and so left it blank because it was OPTIONAL.

I was accepted on Nov 6th by the way. (applied on 10/15).

If you don't have something intelligent and genuine to say, leave it blank. BS is easy to spot, especially for people whose job is to do just that.

User avatar
Mdenis1
Posts: 356
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:06 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Mdenis1 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:20 am

WhiskeynCoke wrote:
Considering they thought enough of the question to make it its own section on the application, what makes you think it would be optional?


How about the fact that it's not required in order to complete the application (thus optional)? I checked "does not apply" and left it blank because I wasn't conceited enough to think that as an ignorant 0L, with no prior "career," I would be able to genuinely articulate what contributions I could make to their program. I didn't feel like bullshitting and so left it blank because it was OPTIONAL.

I was accepted on Nov 6th by the way. (applied on 10/15).

If you don't have something intelligent and genuine to say, leave it blank. BS is easy to spot, especially for people whose job is to do just that.


Congrats! numbers?

User avatar
harveyfan
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:36 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby harveyfan » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:32 pm

.
Last edited by harveyfan on Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck
Posts: 10873
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby BigZuck » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:54 pm

harveyfan wrote:I know I'm super late, but sending in today! So excited. Really like UCLA.

Also, looking for some advice - I'm interested in Health Law and my entire PS focuses on why Health Law. I found a pretty awesome Health Law Center at UCLA - should I go ahead and write my programmatic contribution essay on it or should I pick something that would show that I want to be well-rounded?

Any help would be appreciated!


Pretty sure the consensus that has been reached is that this is totally optional and that if you write it you will look like a phony because you are an ignorant 0L.

In all seriousness I think either way you go sounds good but I might personally lean toward the well-rounded angle. Then again if the health law stuff sounds much stronger than whatever else you can come up with I would roll with that.

User avatar
AlanShore
Posts: 1505
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby AlanShore » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:39 pm

I wrote a couple Why Xs (not for ucla) on health law as well.. but I worked on some PPACA analysis for my company over the last year so I felt I had a strong reason for liking health law. I think if it's just a general interest, your essay might not be that strong but if you have good reasons for it, and can write a compelling essay, it wont hurt. It probably won't make much of a difference either way.. for either of us.

User avatar
timeandspace11
Posts: 606
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:16 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby timeandspace11 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:24 pm

Sent my application in 2 days ago, it went complete today. Good luck to everyone. Does anybody know when they will start making decisions?

User avatar
Mdenis1
Posts: 356
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:06 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Mdenis1 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:22 pm

timeandspace11 wrote:Sent my application in 2 days ago, it went complete today. Good luck to everyone. Does anybody know when they will start making decisions?



They already have, a few people posted in previous pages about being in!

maxmartin
Posts: 383
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:41 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby maxmartin » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:33 pm

Mdenis1 wrote:
timeandspace11 wrote:Sent my application in 2 days ago, it went complete today. Good luck to everyone. Does anybody know when they will start making decisions?



They already have, a few people posted in previous pages about being in!


there is a post saying according to his meeting with the dean, around 200 acceptance were already sent out. But that post was deleted very quickly later on.

User avatar
Omnivalc
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:32 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Omnivalc » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:30 am

Just submitted!!! I e-mailed them this morning asking for a fee-waiver and they gave me one about five minutes later, so I worked on this all day. Stoked to have another one out.

User avatar
timeandspace11
Posts: 606
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:16 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby timeandspace11 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:59 pm

Application went complete yesterday. Good luck to all

User avatar
emzizzle
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:00 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby emzizzle » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:06 pm

gate08 wrote:If it's any help, I did fine without it. I also thought most of my research experience was pretty average, though.

By the way, are you a Jets fan (presumably a Sanchez supporter, then) or just not a Tebow fan?

I'm not a fan of Sanchez or Tebow... I've been a San Francisco 49ers fan since birth! But I just don't think Tebow deserves the amount of love that he gets on ESPN every day.

What about you? What's your team? Sorry if you're a Tebow fan... I'm sure he's a lovely person.

User avatar
gate08
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:06 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby gate08 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:21 pm

emzizzle wrote:
gate08 wrote:If it's any help, I did fine without it. I also thought most of my research experience was pretty average, though.

By the way, are you a Jets fan (presumably a Sanchez supporter, then) or just not a Tebow fan?

I'm not a fan of Sanchez or Tebow... I've been a San Francisco 49ers fan since birth! But I just don't think Tebow deserves the amount of love that he gets on ESPN every day.

What about you? What's your team? Sorry if you're a Tebow fan... I'm sure he's a lovely person.


I am, much to my dismay, a Jets fan. Which means that when Tebow is successfully faking a punt I am a fan, and when he is making bad throws I hate him. I did get to see him in person and I can't speak to his loveliness, but I was admittedly starstruck.

User avatar
harveyfan
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:36 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby harveyfan » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:49 pm

AlanShore wrote:I wrote a couple Why Xs (not for ucla) on health law as well.. but I worked on some PPACA analysis for my company over the last year so I felt I had a strong reason for liking health law. I think if it's just a general interest, your essay might not be that strong but if you have good reasons for it, and can write a compelling essay, it wont hurt. It probably won't make much of a difference either way.. for either of us.


deleted.

Where else are you applying?
Last edited by harveyfan on Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

husker2012
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:49 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby husker2012 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:08 pm

In via phone call!!!

Submitted 10/25
Wrote Programmatic Contribution essay on topic unrelated to my PS with research and work experience to back up my interest (went for the well-rounded angle)

User avatar
rhcp47
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:55 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby rhcp47 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:30 pm

husker2012 wrote:In via phone call!!!

Submitted 10/25
Wrote Programmatic Contribution essay on topic unrelated to my PS with research and work experience to back up my interest (went for the well-rounded angle)



Just got off the phone with Dean Schwartz, so happy right now!!!

Submitted 10/27
I wrote my PC essay on an academic focus/area of interest from within my major that also tied to research and work experience.

comeonletsgo
Posts: 296
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:20 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby comeonletsgo » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:37 pm

Just got the call from Dean Schwartz! I also wrote the programmatic contribution essay, unrelated to my PS.

User avatar
levinelove
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:00 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby levinelove » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:44 pm

Congratulations to everyone getting admitted today. It's fair to say that you've got me obsessing and checking my phone constantly since it seems like Dean Schwartz is making a lot of calls right now!

User avatar
harveyfan
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:36 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby harveyfan » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:14 pm

husker2012 wrote:In via phone call!!!

Submitted 10/25
Wrote Programmatic Contribution essay on topic unrelated to my PS with research and work experience to back up my interest (went for the well-rounded angle)


numbers please?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”