UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bruin91

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby bruin91 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:42 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:In! Exciting stuff. :mrgreen:

wooooooohooooo! congratulations!!!!

timshellaw

Postby timshellaw » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:43 pm

BigZuck wrote:
JohnMarshall17 wrote:
timshellaw wrote:
bettercallsaul91 wrote:In a word, ASD is euphoric. Love it. See you in the fall!

+1.

+2

Please elaborate guys...

Is there anything specific you'd like to know?

The collegiality was a huge draw for me. I met many alumni whose experiences sounded exactly like that of the current students, even ones from the c/o '77. I was there all weekend, so I feel like it wasn't just because I spoke with a limited amount of people. I was also extremely impressed with the faculty (Banner, Winkler, Harris, Gomez, etc.) and their accessibility. Prof. Banner mentioned smaller classes (ungraded) that were essentially seminars, met at prof's homes, and his specifically was just reading different books, meeting once a month at his home to discuss them, and eating food he prepared. I had a very similar undergraduate experience and it was a big consideration for that decision which I supposed has carried over (I love my alma mater). I also really appreciated how involved the alumni are, it wasn't in a bureaucratic (keep it all as is!) way, but mentoring/fundraising/investing into the student experience and so on. Everyone seemed legitimately happy, even in the misery of 1L year.

I took advantage of the financial aid advising (personal appointments) and was given all sorts of different information (though nothing more in-depth than what you may find with extensive research). They mentioned 2L/3L year opens up more schollys based on the things you have done/grades during your 1L year. Fellowships are also available, though it'd take a good balancing of school, etc. I want to go into the private sector, so I don't know much about LRAP, but I will say that I met many alumni and 3Ls (PILPers, so not because they couldn't find other jobs) who currently/will be work/ing for Legal Aid in Compton, unions, and other legal capacity PI jobs.

This was my first time in CA and I loved the area. Very vibrant atmosphere and honestly, I'm one of those farmer's market, yogi, running, brunch lovers, so it was paradise. The social scene seemed great as well (bars, cool restaurants) and the identity orgs and other student groups seemed to always have plans or cool recommendations. The Santa Monica pier was awesome and well, you just can't beat the location. I'm most likely going to live in grad housing because I'm from 1) afar and 2) have an SO.

They also showed extensive love to vegetarians and that's just lovely. ;)

Let me know if I can be more specific to your interests.

bruin91

Postby bruin91 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:55 pm

So I went to UCLA yesterday. Let me just say this.... It was amazing!

From 11:30 to 12:45, we went to a hall, where Dean Moran, three professors, a 1L, and an alum from 1981 gave speeches. Dean Moran gave the best "Why UCLA" speech I could ever imagine one giving. Professor Hoffman talked about her courses on healthcare law, Professor Banner talked about his own courses and a Supreme Court Clinic, where six students go with him to Washington D.C. at different times during the semester to represent actual clients and write briefs for different Supreme Court cases. Professor Gomez talked a bit about criminal law and the critical race theory program at UCLA. They were all extremely bright and convinced me that UCLA faculty really does rank much better than US News might suggest with respect to the depth of its faculty. In terms of scholarly impact, UCLA is often in the top 10-11 schools, and it showed yesterday.

During the barbecue, students sat on different tables, each of which had 1-2 professors from a specific sub-field, where you cold ask questions and talk about law school and life in general. I went to three tables and the professors and students on all of them were extremely nice.

Dean Schwartz was roaming the area, making sure we were all doing fine. Every single person there treated me very professionally and was free to assist me with any questions. A HUGE PLUS.

I met the 1981 Alum on Table 2, and he and I had an hour or so conversation about law schools, etc. He used to be a hiring partner at a big law firm, and he told me, many many firms in CA have strong UCLA alumni bases, and they actively look for UCLA students to fill their spots. He said his firm had more UCLA grads than Harvard grads.

Students were assigned to two different mock classes. Adam Winkler gave a great lecture on Brown v. Board and constitutional law.

After, there was the Q and A, but by then, I had already left.

Suffice it to say, it went amazingly well. Professors are top-notch, students are laid-back and intelligent, alumni are our protectors post-graduation, and the list goes on and on.

:)

FromDCtoWhere

Postby FromDCtoWhere » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:17 pm

bruin91 wrote:

Congratulations!!

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:29 pm

FromDCtoWhere wrote:
bruin91 wrote:

Congratulations!!

Thanks, all!

Think there's a chance of scholarship money this late?

FromDCtoWhere

Postby FromDCtoWhere » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:38 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:
FromDCtoWhere wrote:
bruin91 wrote:

Congratulations!!

Thanks, all!
Think there's a chance of scholarship money this late?

I really hope so, they've been generous so far, and people with scholarship have withdrawn...

vzapana

Postby vzapana » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:58 pm

declined my scholly and withdrew. good luck to you all!

ilybb

Postby ilybb » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:19 pm

TheNextAmendment wrote:
b123 wrote:...so if I haven't heard anything since mid-late November, should I be as confused as I am?

yes. be confused and join the rest of us who are equally as confused.
By the way- congrats Trip! That's awesome.

mid-December complete here. equally confused ....

BluePurgatory

Postby BluePurgatory » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:03 pm

Went to the Diversity Weekend and had an incredible time. I'm part Native American, but it doesn't show very well :( so I was one of the "white kids" amid a group of minorities, but it still was a great atmosphere. I met quite a few great people, all of the meals were free (along with free alcohol), and I learned quite a bit from professors/alumni. Probably my most valuable experience was talking to Rick Runkel, the president of the alumni association. His speech following Dean Moran's was incredible, and his career path is essentially identical to my dream career, so I had to seek him out. He was incredibly congenial and helpful.
The social aspect was great; we went to a few bars during the hours we didn't have events scheduled and met some UCLA Law students as well as students of the other UCLA colleges. I had a great time.
The few negatives that I would note were:
-Quite a few awkward people. Probably about 40% of the prospective students staying at the Palomar for the weekend were pretty difficult to talk to. Often conversations consisted of "Where are you from?" "Major?" "So, are you sure you're coming to UCLA?" "..... Alright cool" I can only handle so much of this; it felt like undergrad orientation.
-It almost felt like they were trying too hard to insist "We realllllly want you to come to UCLA, but if you don't that's TOTALLY okay too" I don't mind them selling UCLA to me, and it felt a bit ingenuine.

Honestly those are the only negatives I can think of. Overall it was a great experience, and it definitely made UCLA one of my top options

mh013

Postby mh013 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:14 pm

Just withdrew, may an acceptance and scholarship be directed towards one of you quite soon!

UncleStew

Postby UncleStew » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:41 pm

The wait list email suggests sending LOCIs via email ("Statements of continued interest may be sent periodically (once a month is
sufficient) to the Office of Admissions at admissions@law.ucla.edu."). Though, everything I have read suggests to send LOCIs via snail mail. Should I send to UCLA via email or US mail?

Charlie.Home

Postby Charlie.Home » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:59 pm

Has anyone paid the deposit yet and gained access to their lawnet email? Any important emails being sent through it?

ht2988

Postby ht2988 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:13 pm

Wow. UCLA just doubled my offer to $120k. Not sure what to do now...

maxiguess

Postby maxiguess » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:02 pm

Last edited by maxiguess on Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

FromDCtoWhere

Postby FromDCtoWhere » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:07 pm

maxiguess wrote:holy crap. just got the call. in off the wait list :!:
UCLA is my first choice :mrgreen:

Congrats!!! :D

bettercallsaul91

Postby bettercallsaul91 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:11 pm

Everything just clicked perfectly with me at ASD. UCLA has been my top choice for a while (just EDed to an ivy at insistence of parents even though I had originally wanted to ED here). I really wanted UCLA for its available clinics and programs/specializations - public interest and critical race studies. The faculty research was right on par with what I wanted to learn about, too ... I really loved college at a UC, and how faculty incorporated so much of their own cutting-edge research into their lectures there. UCs are known for being research institutions, so a desire to learn about professors' research in the classrooms tends to draw a lot of students to UC. I know employment figures are most important for many people in choosing a law school, but for me, the day-to-day experience I would have is incredibly important too. I'm paying for my education, not just investing for a higher-paying job. So I wanted professors who would lecture about things I actually really wanted to learn more about - and based on professors' publications, UCLA offers exactly that. Some of my other options had professors who, say, studied race and the law, but it would be about ... for example ... discrepancies in the values of bodies in organ harvesting, or achievement in education ... instead of race and the law specifically in terms of incarceration and immigration (what I'm interested in). The former is really fascinating and all, but not really in the area I want to build my career towards ... I wanted more of a focus on criminal law than a creative intersection of race and health law or education ... for example. Or publications by faculty just wouldn't excite me as much at other schools. Or there wouldn't be a single faculty member I may potentially want to be a research assistant for. At UCLA, it's hard to choose! Faculty is really important for me. In undergrad, I was really careful to only take professors who assigned readings that I intrinsically wanted to read and had publications that I really wanted to pick their brains about.

When I got to ASD, I was very lucky. The very first law student who approached me to talk shared almost the exact same interests and career aspirations as me. She was amazing, loved talking to her, will definitely be seeking her out as a mentor next year. We talked about the two programs and she gave me anecdotes about her experiences, even advice in terms of getting into clinics I wanted, and just really got me even more excited about the school (didn't think it was possible). I didn't know that UCLA doesn't rank its students! What a huge perk. She said I was a perfect fit for the school and the programs, and I was told the same thing by various directors and professors as I made the table rounds. I felt right at home. It feels like my niche. I had a great time talking to everyone - sometimes about law school/careers, other times about basically anything. There were a lot of laughs and I really enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere. All the students, professors, and admin staff were kind, friendly, and approachable. The only weird awkward people were some of the prospective students ... ones who didn't really seem sure about UCLA anyway. I really loved how laid-back everything felt. There also seemed to be a confidence among faculty and students that the school's reputation spoke for itself that there wasn't quite as much of a need to overbearingly persuade me to come that others seemed to do ... some other schools' faculty and students seemed pretty self-conscious. Some faculty members even seemed to suggest not to come to their schools, because being from California, I'd be miserable there - even despite the school itself. I didn't get that from UCLA. UCLA law students also displayed a level of poise that far exceeded the other schools' law students ... it's hard to describe ... but there is a certain 'it' factor ... I want to be like them. I had met a few UCLA alum attorneys elsewhere and thought, "my people." Same thoughts again while visiting the school.

The campus is BEAUTIFUL. The pictures online really don't do it justice. I took a few photos, but I found that the school is definitely not nearly as photogenic as it really is. I was taken off-guard. The weather is perfect too ... now I'm from San Francisco and it doesn't get too cold there either ... but I much prefer LA's weather over SF's. No complaints about having perfect warm spring-mild summer weather year-round. The area around the school is really amazing too. I actually never visited UCLA until this trip ... went to LA plenty of times and hated it because I'd be stuck in traffic or just in less-aesthetically-pleasing areas ... but wow, Westwood is gorgeous, and UCLA's right on the edge of Bel Air. People in LA tend to be beautiful, too. Eye candy everywhere. California, sure, but especially LA, has a strong culture of healthy eating and fitness ... so you see tons of people in their nice workout clothes jogging around campus, heading to yoga, etc. People dress more colorfully than I've seen at other admitted students receptions and just from visiting schools ... it's not the boring ol white or blue dress shirts and black or khaki slacks ... lots of bright colors - yellows, oranges thrown into the mix, fewer blazers and suits/ties. With perfect weather, you can wear whatever you like (and show off your arms and legs after all the hard work at the gym instead of having to pile on tons of layers and a parka).

I also LOVE that there are TONS of things to do in LA, and a huge variety of restaurants and cuisines too. When I visited UC Irvine and got the general feeling that the main thing to do around there was Dave and Busters, I realized, wow ... I would probably kill myself. I also didn't particularly enjoy the food near campus ... I found it bland or kinda like from a mall food court. I really need a lot of different places to go clubbing to blow off steam, a lot of music venues for concerts, fashion shows, art galleries, hip, classy wine bars, and admittedly bougey 'artisan' places to eat ... I realized what an urban douchebag I am and how I really want those kinds of options around to feel happy. I really can't have a standard mall with a Forever 21 and Gap be the area's main attraction without feeling miserable. I thought it would be okay since I should be studying all the time in law school anyway ........ but no. Weekends, I need options like what's available in LA to de-stress. Also, in terms of the food, any random hole-in-the-wall has been impressive compared to the options even in SF. Because there's so much competition in LA, the quality seems to be better on average, while prices are below average (compared to SF). I had the cheapest sushi ever at some random place that was closest to walking distance and it was the best I've had in years. As you walk around campus, you see flyers for all-you-can-eat Korean BBQ, there are tons of Mediterranean food options around campus, and I'm so happy I don't have to say goodbye to California burritos for the next three years. I love all the variety UCLA's location offers. I need a dynamic location like this.

That's pretty much what comes to mind off the top of my head. Thanks to others for posting about it first ... yeah, I really loved that there were about 20 round tables set up with each table having a certain theme ... like #16 was critical race studies, so CRS professors and students would sit there, and anybody interested in talking about CRS over lunch would sit there, and maybe then hop over to another table where people from another area of interest were sitting. There were others, like for business law, health law, financial aid, clinics & externships, etc. What a good idea. The student orgs had tables set up inside the law building, too. I attended one mock class that was fun ... lol the professor's last name was GOODMAN. If you're another fellow Breaking Bad fan, you probably got a grin out of that too. He was very friendly, funny, unintimidating. Made the class very palatable to 0Ls. Didn't have any gunners sitting in. Yay. Also, looking around the classroom, I was pleased to see that it had the biggest racial (and maybe economic class) diversity out of the other schools I'd seen.

I just had a fantastic experience and it all just affirmed my intuition that this would be the perfect fit for me. Finally, I've found a law school that I am certain I will feel right at home at. I have a very strong feeling that I will be very happy here over the next three years.

Happy to answer any further questions :)

Hrun

Postby Hrun » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:12 pm

Would you mind sharing your numbers?

bettercallsaul91

Postby bettercallsaul91 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:17 pm

congrats!!!

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:22 pm

How long did it take people to receive scholarship offers? I hope I'm not getting ahead of myself, but I'd really like some money. X)

maxiguess

Postby maxiguess » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:22 pm

Hrun wrote:

Median LSAT, low GPA.

Thanks everyone! I'm really over the moon.

b123

Postby b123 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:45 pm

bettercallsaul91 wrote:When I visited UC Irvine and got the general feeling that the main thing to do around there was Dave and Busters, I realized, wow ... I would probably kill myself.

...I still hate you

lili_yums

Postby lili_yums » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:55 pm

Congrats!! Just curious, did you submit a LOCI, and if so, when? When were you placed on the waitlist?

amsong

Postby amsong » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:35 pm

Withdrawn. Good luck, waiters!

Hrun

Postby Hrun » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:44 pm

maxiguess wrote:
Hrun wrote:

Median LSAT, low GPA.

Thanks everyone! I'm really over the moon.

I just realized I didn't congratulate you. Congratulations!!! I'm glad you got into your first choice.

dawyzest1

Postby dawyzest1 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:13 am

Withdrew yesterday. Good luck to those who are waiting!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”