UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
islandrose0913
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:23 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby islandrose0913 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:47 pm

Waitlisted today.

1/29 complete.
Last edited by islandrose0913 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
TheMostDangerousLG
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:11 pm

Someone at UCLA tried to call me around 6:30 tonight and I missed it! UGH! Does anyone know what they might be calling about? My application went complete a couple of days ago.

They didn't leave a message or anything; what do you think the best way of handling the situation is? I tried calling back, but just reached the after hours line. :(

User avatar
KremeCheez
Posts: 194
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:28 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby KremeCheez » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:20 pm

Well...they are certainly NOT calling to ding you...

User avatar
TheMostDangerousLG
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:35 pm

KremeCheez wrote:Well...they are certainly NOT calling to ding you...


Hah! That's good news. It would be pretty cruel if they did: "MostdangerousLG, we have good news! Our numbers are so high, we don't have to admit you."

User avatar
bettercallsaul91
Posts: 187
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:23 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby bettercallsaul91 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:42 pm

Looking forward to ASD tomorrow!

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2739
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby TripTrip » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:59 pm

bettercallsaul91 wrote:Looking forward to ASD tomorrow!

Let me know how it goes! I was hoping to go, but didn't end up being able to due to work obligations.

I would love to see some pics.

User avatar
bettercallsaul91
Posts: 187
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:23 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby bettercallsaul91 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:29 pm

TripTrip wrote:
bettercallsaul91 wrote:Looking forward to ASD tomorrow!

Let me know how it goes! I was hoping to go, but didn't end up being able to due to work obligations.

I would love to see some pics.


I'll try to get some pics for ya.

I'm already committed. Got an apartment on the edge of Bel Air-Westwood, moving in next week and everything. Managed to find a gem - <$1600 for 1br, wooden floors, dishwasher, quite spacious, patio, pool, pet-friendly, parking spot, 20 min bike ride to the law building, close to a bus stop for a bus that will take me straight to the law building. Super excited to move in and start exploring LA!

User avatar
raekaya
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:03 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby raekaya » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:48 am

TripTrip wrote:
bettercallsaul91 wrote:Looking forward to ASD tomorrow!

Let me know how it goes! I was hoping to go, but didn't end up being able to due to work obligations.

I would love to see some pics.


I second this, I don't need pictures but I would love to hear your general impression of the ASD. Was there a specific aspect that impressed you/turned you off to the school? Since it's the weekend I imagine there aren't many students there but if so, what was your impression of them?

timshellaw
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:33 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby timshellaw » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:43 am

raekaya wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
bettercallsaul91 wrote:Looking forward to ASD tomorrow!

Let me know how it goes! I was hoping to go, but didn't end up being able to due to work obligations.

I would love to see some pics.


I second this, I don't need pictures but I would love to hear your general impression of the ASD. Was there a specific aspect that impressed you/turned you off to the school? Since it's the weekend I imagine there aren't many students there but if so, what was your impression of them?


I've been here for a few days now (diversity event) and the school has really put effort into welcoming students. At dinner last night we met so many alumni who echoed the collegiality of the school and how professors are accessible and invest heavily in students. One even shared that a few professors had attended his father's recent funeral (he graduated 10 years ago). The current students were candid about their experiences, with all seemingly secure about their current job opportunities (general consensus: be proactive, especially because OCI is lottery based and connections are a big thing in the city).

The building is very nice and in such a good area! The library was extremely impressive and the classrooms were a mix of older and newer. While it doesn't look like Hogwarts, it fits in perfectly with the campus. The overall experience was described as a private college within a huge system.

The most impressive aspect thus far has been the admitted students. There are students who are heavily considering coming here for specific professors and programs. Epstein and CRS (critical race studies) are some of the more popular interests, but I met enough students with firm aspirations and intersectionality (CRS + business specialization) to be reassured it's a popular track as well (sample size may play a factor). The overall vibe was extremely relaxed (1L year is tough but no one wants to drown you), which was echoed by faculty, admins, and current students. Definitely not a place for "neurotic people" (quote from a 3L), especially because the school does not rank. It seems that students work hard, but have somewhat of a life balance.

I'll be sure to add more after today. I realize experiences may be different based on sample size thus far. I will say, it seemed that many minority students (myself included) are considering the school heavily for its diversity support system (strong alumni base, identity orgs, etc). It was a nice surprise to see students debating whether they should attend a higher ranked school vs. a more tailored, program specific experience.

nba101790
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:05 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby nba101790 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:53 am

When is UCLA's first deposit deadline? Thinking of writing a LOCI today to send in the day after.

timshellaw
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:33 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby timshellaw » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:13 am

nba101790 wrote:When is UCLA's first deposit deadline? Thinking of writing a LOCI today to send in the day after.


May 1.

CourCour
Posts: 157
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:59 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby CourCour » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:14 am

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Someone at UCLA tried to call me around 6:30 tonight and I missed it! UGH! Does anyone know what they might be calling about? My application went complete a couple of days ago.

They didn't leave a message or anything; what do you think the best way of handling the situation is? I tried calling back, but just reached the after hours line. :(


They called me to admit.

User avatar
TheMostDangerousLG
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:46 am

CourCour wrote:
TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Someone at UCLA tried to call me around 6:30 tonight and I missed it! UGH! Does anyone know what they might be calling about? My application went complete a couple of days ago.

They didn't leave a message or anything; what do you think the best way of handling the situation is? I tried calling back, but just reached the after hours line. :(


They called me to admit.


Oo, exciting! And congrats! :D

So it turns out they left a voicemail saying to call back. I did, but didn't reach anyone, so I left a message. Do you all think it would be rude to calll again, or should I just wait for them to try reaching me again? Also, if you think it's okay to call, do you think I could call today? I figure since there's an ASD going on, there might be people around..

Just so excited! Hope I get similar news.

bruin91
Posts: 237
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:09 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby bruin91 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:56 am

My post was deleted for some reason. Most Dangerous, if the voicemail included a brief introduction of Rob Schwartz asking you to call back with a call back number, it is most DEFINITELY a sign that you have been admitted. He doesn't want to bring the good news over voicemail. Purpose of calling you is to tell you personally. I doubt he'll be free to talk today, but call back first thing Monday morning (9AM PT). Let me know how it goes. :)

JohnMarshall17
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:52 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby JohnMarshall17 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:05 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:
CourCour wrote:
TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Someone at UCLA tried to call me around 6:30 tonight and I missed it! UGH! Does anyone know what they might be calling about? My application went complete a couple of days ago.

They didn't leave a message or anything; what do you think the best way of handling the situation is? I tried calling back, but just reached the after hours line. :(


They called me to admit.


Oo, exciting! And congrats! :D

So it turns out they left a voicemail saying to call back. I did, but didn't reach anyone, so I left a message. Do you all think it would be rude to calll again, or should I just wait for them to try reaching me again? Also, if you think it's okay to call, do you think I could call today? I figure since there's an ASD going on, there might be people around..

Just so excited! Hope I get similar news.


Let me just say this: CONGRATULATIONS! Call again on Monday. It's not rude at all.

Big Dog
Posts: 1191
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Big Dog » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:07 pm

Do you all think it would be rude to calll again, or should I just wait for them to try reaching me again?


Heck no. Start calling at 8:30 am PT.

(And hopefully, Congrats.)

User avatar
TheMostDangerousLG
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:04 pm

Thanks for your help, everybody! Will definitely call first thing tomorrow morning! :)

User avatar
bettercallsaul91
Posts: 187
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:23 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby bettercallsaul91 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:07 pm

In a word, ASD is euphoric. Love it. See you in the fall!

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2739
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby TripTrip » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:13 pm

bettercallsaul91 wrote:In a word, ASD is euphoric. Love it. See you in the fall!

Expand please!

timshellaw
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:33 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby timshellaw » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:47 am

bettercallsaul91 wrote:In a word, ASD is euphoric. Love it. See you in the fall!


+1.

JohnMarshall17
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:52 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby JohnMarshall17 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:28 am

timshellaw wrote:
bettercallsaul91 wrote:In a word, ASD is euphoric. Love it. See you in the fall!


+1.


+2

User avatar
TheMostDangerousLG
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:42 am

Cannot wait for it to be 8 AM in California, lol... hope I get the call today!

BigZuck
Posts: 10859
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby BigZuck » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:43 am

JohnMarshall17 wrote:
timshellaw wrote:
bettercallsaul91 wrote:In a word, ASD is euphoric. Love it. See you in the fall!


+1.


+2


Please elaborate guys...

User avatar
ssanonymous
Posts: 513
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby ssanonymous » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:30 am

Withdrew. Good luck everyone!

User avatar
TheMostDangerousLG
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:25 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:30 pm

In! Exciting stuff. :mrgreen:




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 20171lhopeful, Anon.y.mousse., Bing [Bot], Keilz, lawlawland16, pizzagoblin, TudoBem and 18 guests