UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
yupyup
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:00 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby yupyup » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:21 pm

jfan94x wrote:
yupyup wrote:
bettercallsaul91 wrote:
yupyup wrote:A breakthrough! A miracle!! I received an email from a professor yesterday wanting a phone interview!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: After not hearing a peep since I applied in early November and with my numbers, it felt like the sun shining though the clouds and a chorus of angels in the background. lol! :D


Congrats! Good luck! That's how it felt for me too! :mrgreen:


Thanks! :D



How did it go??? What was it like?? I just got one too and am super nervous!


I think it went well. I was nervous too and feel like I stumbled a couple times on my answers. But the professor seemed to really like some of my answers. Is your interview from someone in the program you wrote about in your "Programmatic Contribution" essay? That was the case for me. Good luck!!!

jfan94x
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:21 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby jfan94x » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:38 pm

Yes it was! And, thanks!! Good luck to you too! Hope you get in soon so it can give me hope!

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2737
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby TripTrip » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:41 pm

So for those keeping score, I just got the scholarship letter from UCLA. They had awarded me $10k/yr in need-based grants, but evidently I can't double dip with the full-tuition scholarship. Thus, full-ride is the maximum and they were just teasing by sending me the financial need grant award since I can't touch it.

User avatar
risa
Posts: 466
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:03 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby risa » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:01 pm

TripTrip wrote:So for those keeping score, I just got the scholarship letter from UCLA. They had awarded me $10k/yr in need-based grants, but evidently I can't double dip with the full-tuition scholarship. Thus, full-ride is the maximum and they were just teasing by sending me the financial need grant award since I can't touch it.

Sorry to hear that. The extra $10k for living expenses would have been nice!
FYI when I met with a fin aid person at ASW, he mentioned that there are ways to get research asst, TA, or other positions as a 2 or 3L, which even with a full ride would mean some income. He also mentioned that as a 2 and 3L you're eligible for some privately funded scholarships that their office is in charge of disbursing to students who fit the given criteria for each scholarship. He told me those would = $ for living expenses if you have a full tuition scholly.

Hopefullyfuturelaw
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Hopefullyfuturelaw » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:43 pm

So i missed my phone call, but got got an acceptance email the next day. However, I haven't heard anything about scholarship. Don't want to come off as entitled, but with with my stats I thought I would get some sort of merit aid. I got got the financial aid with no mention of merit. Did anyone who get their scholarship on the phone have it also in their acceptance letter or packet? Numbers are 169 and around 4 gpa. Ucla is one of my top choices but without money, it's not even close.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2737
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby TripTrip » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:03 am

Hopefullyfuturelaw wrote:Did anyone who get their scholarship on the phone have it also in their acceptance letter or packet?

Not to be that guy, but that's literally what we were talking about in the post right above you. Financial aid comes via email, merit scholarship later via post.

Hopefullyfuturelaw
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Hopefullyfuturelaw » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:10 am

TripTrip wrote:
Hopefullyfuturelaw wrote:Did anyone who get their scholarship on the phone have it also in their acceptance letter or packet?

Not to be that guy, but that's literally what we were talking about in the post right above you. Financial aid comes via email, merit scholarship later via post.


No problem. Thats my bad sorry. I just went back a few pages and I saw your post and someone else's on 50 and thought merit aid came with the phone call, but didn't see anything about afterwards. Thank you though. I guess I'll just have to patiently wait

Big Dog
Posts: 1191
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Big Dog » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:13 am

I think it depends (on what I don't know). Some folks have been told the merit amount with their acceptance phone call.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2737
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby TripTrip » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:14 am

Hopefullyfuturelaw wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
Hopefullyfuturelaw wrote:Did anyone who get their scholarship on the phone have it also in their acceptance letter or packet?

Not to be that guy, but that's literally what we were talking about in the post right above you. Financial aid comes via email, merit scholarship later via post.


No problem. Thats my bad sorry. I just went back a few pages and I saw your post and someone else's on 50 and thought merit aid came with the phone call, but didn't see anything about afterwards. Thank you though. I guess I'll just have to patiently wait

You said you missed the phone call, right? I missed it too. Called back and that's when they told me about the scholarship. If I hadn't called back, I suppose I would not have known until the letter arrived a week later.

JohnMarshall17
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:52 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby JohnMarshall17 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:51 am

Hopefullyfuturelaw wrote:So i missed my phone call, but got got an acceptance email the next day. However, I haven't heard anything about scholarship. Don't want to come off as entitled, but with with my stats I thought I would get some sort of merit aid. I got got the financial aid with no mention of merit. Did anyone who get their scholarship on the phone have it also in their acceptance letter or packet? Numbers are 169 and around 4 gpa. Ucla is one of my top choices but without money, it's not even close.


I have a full ride with numbers that are a tiny bit lower than yours. Don't worry, I'm sure you'll be able to negotiate. If anything, you'll probably have a scholarship letter in your packet. Congratulations, by the way!

Hopefullyfuturelaw
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Hopefullyfuturelaw » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:08 am

JohnMarshall17 wrote:
Hopefullyfuturelaw wrote:So i missed my phone call, but got got an acceptance email the next day. However, I haven't heard anything about scholarship. Don't want to come off as entitled, but with with my stats I thought I would get some sort of merit aid. I got got the financial aid with no mention of merit. Did anyone who get their scholarship on the phone have it also in their acceptance letter or packet? Numbers are 169 and around 4 gpa. Ucla is one of my top choices but without money, it's not even close.


I have a full ride with numbers that are a tiny bit lower than yours. Don't worry, I'm sure you'll be able to negotiate. If anything, you'll probably have a scholarship letter in your packet. Congratulations, by the way!


Thanks for the answers. Still have one question, will the scholarship letter come in a different packet from the acceptance packet? I got my acceptance packet today and it doesn't mention any scholarship. Got financial email the other day also with no mention.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2737
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby TripTrip » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:55 am

Hopefullyfuturelaw wrote:Thanks for the answers. Still have one question, will the scholarship letter come in a different packet from the acceptance packet? I got my acceptance packet today and it doesn't mention any scholarship. Got financial email the other day also with no mention.

Sorry bud. My scholarship letter was included in the acceptance packet.

Hopefullyfuturelaw
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Hopefullyfuturelaw » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:39 pm

TripTrip wrote:
Hopefullyfuturelaw wrote:Thanks for the answers. Still have one question, will the scholarship letter come in a different packet from the acceptance packet? I got my acceptance packet today and it doesn't mention any scholarship. Got financial email the other day also with no mention.

Sorry bud. My scholarship letter was included in the acceptance packet.


Yea that was what I was worried about. Does anyone know how to go about asking? Should I call like you did or email? This will be pretty disappointing if I get nothing

User avatar
syd625
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:36 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby syd625 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:44 pm

Hopefullyfuturelaw wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
Hopefullyfuturelaw wrote:Thanks for the answers. Still have one question, will the scholarship letter come in a different packet from the acceptance packet? I got my acceptance packet today and it doesn't mention any scholarship. Got financial email the other day also with no mention.

Sorry bud. My scholarship letter was included in the acceptance packet.


Yea that was what I was worried about. Does anyone know how to go about asking? Should I call like you did or email? This will be pretty disappointing if I get nothing


Have you sent in your need access and fafsa yet? I didn't receive any scholarship information in my acceptance packet, but a couple of days after submitting my financial aid materials, I received merit and need offers by email. It might be worth trying if you haven't already done so.

User avatar
GoldHattedGatsby
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:25 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby GoldHattedGatsby » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:44 pm

Alright this is getting a bit ridiculous UCLA... I want to go to your last ASW, but it's now a week away, and I have heard zilch from you for months. I applied to USC the same day and heard back within two weeks!

timshellaw
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:33 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby timshellaw » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:24 pm

GoldHattedGatsby wrote:Alright this is getting a bit ridiculous UCLA... I want to go to your last ASW, but it's now a week away, and I have heard zilch from you for months. I applied to USC the same day and heard back within two weeks!


I hope you hear soon! I'll be there, so I'll relay whatever you may need. :)

fallingup
Posts: 481
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:34 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby fallingup » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:33 pm

I received my merit scholarship offer from UCLA about two months ago, still haven't submitted my Need Access or anything.

targaryengirl
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:40 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby targaryengirl » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:24 pm

Sorry if this was brought up before - if the admit packet doesn't mention a scholarship, you're not getting any merit? I only got an email about need and was a little disappointed. I got a full ride from LLS. I want to ask UCLA to review, but LLS might not be much leverage. Any advice?

csungrl09
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:57 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby csungrl09 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:36 am

I applied to the Critical Race Studies Program at UCLA in early january & still haven't heard back. could this be a good thing that its taking so long?

User avatar
Good Marshall
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:15 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Good Marshall » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:06 pm

TripTrip wrote:So for those keeping score, I just got the scholarship letter from UCLA. They had awarded me $10k/yr in need-based grants, but evidently I can't double dip with the full-tuition scholarship. Thus, full-ride is the maximum and they were just teasing by sending me the financial need grant award since I can't touch it.


Your limit is not equal to your total tuition per year, but your total cost of living per year. So you wanted an extra $10,000 on top of the pocket money you are entitled? I can understand that. The extra $18,000 a year they give may still require that you take a little portion of your unsubsidized loans offered you (or eat into any savings you may have). Living in Los Angeles is not cheap. Trust me. But hey, at least you are better off than most. Imagine if you had to pay the full clip?

The breakdown: Fees and Health Insurance $49,277
Books and Supplies $1,827
Living Expenses ~$20,000

User avatar
Good Marshall
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:15 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Good Marshall » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:07 pm

Good Marshall wrote:
TripTrip wrote:So for those keeping score, I just got the scholarship letter from UCLA. They had awarded me $10k/yr in need-based grants, but evidently I can't double dip with the full-tuition scholarship. Thus, full-ride is the maximum and they were just teasing by sending me the financial need grant award since I can't touch it.


Your limit is not equal to your total tuition per year, but your total cost of living per year. So you wanted an extra $10,000 on top of the pocket money you are entitled? I can understand that. The extra $18,000 a year they give may still require that you take a little portion of your unsubsidized loans offered you (or eat into any savings you may have). Living in Los Angeles is not cheap. Trust me. But hey, at least you are better off than most. Imagine if you had to pay the full clip?

The breakdown: Fees and Health Insurance $49,277
Books and Supplies $1,827
Living Expenses ~$20,000


Please note that fees listed are in-state.

User avatar
risa
Posts: 466
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:03 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby risa » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:07 pm

csungrl09 wrote:I applied to the Critical Race Studies Program at UCLA in early january & still haven't heard back. could this be a good thing that its taking so long?

Do you mean Epstein (public interest law & policy) program? I'm pretty sure that Critical Race Studies is not something you apply for at the time as your regular application.

http://www.law.ucla.edu/academic-progra ... Q.aspx#1-1

User avatar
b123
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:32 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby b123 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:42 pm

risa wrote:
csungrl09 wrote:I applied to the Critical Race Studies Program at UCLA in early january & still haven't heard back. could this be a good thing that its taking so long?

Do you mean Epstein (public interest law & policy) program? I'm pretty sure that Critical Race Studies is not something you apply for at the time as your regular application.

http://www.law.ucla.edu/academic-progra ... Q.aspx#1-1


If you are talking about that, I applied in late November, so yeah....

csungrl09
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:57 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby csungrl09 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:16 am

risa wrote:
csungrl09 wrote:I applied to the Critical Race Studies Program at UCLA in early january & still haven't heard back. could this be a good thing that its taking so long?

Do you mean Epstein (public interest law & policy) program? I'm pretty sure that Critical Race Studies is not something you apply for at the time as your regular application.

http://www.law.ucla.edu/academic-progra ... Q.aspx#1-1



Thank you, you're right...I shouldn't say apply. I submitted the PC essay for the Critical Race Studies program.

csungrl09
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:57 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby csungrl09 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:16 am

b123 wrote:
risa wrote:
csungrl09 wrote:I applied to the Critical Race Studies Program at UCLA in early january & still haven't heard back. could this be a good thing that its taking so long?

Do you mean Epstein (public interest law & policy) program? I'm pretty sure that Critical Race Studies is not something you apply for at the time as your regular application.

http://www.law.ucla.edu/academic-progra ... Q.aspx#1-1


If you are talking about that, I applied in late November, so yeah....


sheesh.
:?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: amberb94, Assasindowntheavenue, Baidu [Spider], Cfitz, christinaxcarrie, hammy393, joezze, Kungfu Wontons, MSNbot Media, Nobiggie, notausername, Photomike2, root_beer, wishywashy and 35 guests