UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
muskies970
Posts: 340
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:28 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby muskies970 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:03 pm

Rlabo wrote:Anyone know what the biggest amount of scholarship they offer is? trying to figure out if i can negotiate or not bother.


I've seen 40k a year, how high are you looking? 30k seems above avg for your numbers so youmay want to wait until later in the cycle, that's when schools seem to get more generous imo

User avatar
teiswei
Posts: 695
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:50 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby teiswei » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:07 pm

uconjak wrote:Went to USC yesterday, going to tour UCLA today. Weather is great! Mid 70's...i will give you all my impressions after i am done

Welcome to Southern California? It's glorious and probably the reason they don't consider similar ranked schools peers.

User avatar
Rlabo
Posts: 516
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:18 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Rlabo » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:09 pm

muskies970 wrote:
Rlabo wrote:Anyone know what the biggest amount of scholarship they offer is? trying to figure out if i can negotiate or not bother.


I've seen 40k a year, how high are you looking? 30k seems above avg for your numbers so youmay want to wait until later in the cycle, that's when schools seem to get more generous imo


Honestly, I'm just being greedy and was more curious to see how good it actually is. My thing is I'm really set on staying in NYC and so to go to LA i'd have to have something really amazing. 30K/year is amazing but if can get a little more itll really solidify the decision if i choose to go there.

User avatar
risa
Posts: 466
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:03 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby risa » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:12 pm

Rlabo wrote:
muskies970 wrote:
Rlabo wrote:Anyone know what the biggest amount of scholarship they offer is? trying to figure out if i can negotiate or not bother.


I've seen 40k a year, how high are you looking? 30k seems above avg for your numbers so youmay want to wait until later in the cycle, that's when schools seem to get more generous imo


Honestly, I'm just being greedy and was more curious to see how good it actually is. My thing is I'm really set on staying in NYC and so to go to LA i'd have to have something really amazing. 30K/year is amazing but if can get a little more itll really solidify the decision if i choose to go there.

Fwiw we have the same LSAT and I got a full tuition scholly. So it's possible?

User avatar
Rlabo
Posts: 516
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:18 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Rlabo » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:20 pm

risa wrote:
Rlabo wrote:
muskies970 wrote:
Rlabo wrote:Anyone know what the biggest amount of scholarship they offer is? trying to figure out if i can negotiate or not bother.


I've seen 40k a year, how high are you looking? 30k seems above avg for your numbers so youmay want to wait until later in the cycle, that's when schools seem to get more generous imo


Honestly, I'm just being greedy and was more curious to see how good it actually is. My thing is I'm really set on staying in NYC and so to go to LA i'd have to have something really amazing. 30K/year is amazing but if can get a little more itll really solidify the decision if i choose to go there.

Fwiw we have the same LSAT and I got a full tuition scholly. So it's possible?


That's good to know, but you're also in another bracket when it comes to GPA and if your school is tougher than mine which it seems to be, that GPA is actually magnified compared to mine. I'm deff happy with 30k/yr as it's a nice amount, I'm just not sure its enough to have me pull the trigger on LA. This is all slightly premature as I'm waiting on a slew of other decisions that may make this decision much easier or much more difficult.

User avatar
wbrother
Posts: 499
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:02 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby wbrother » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:29 pm

Sending in a LOCI today. Any WL'ers get off yet?

UMich11
Posts: 409
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:34 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby UMich11 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:31 pm

wbrother wrote:Sending in a LOCI today. Any WL'ers get off yet?


My stats are right near yours but i haven't even been WL'd yet. I'm thinking of a preemptive LOCI since i sense a WL. When did you apply/notify of WL?

User avatar
StillIll
Posts: 186
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:49 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby StillIll » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:42 pm

I haven't heard a peep since submitting on Jan 28th, well except for a completion acknowledgment a few days later. Anyone apply around a similar time ? Lack of online status checker makes me sad panda.

eomea5
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:14 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby eomea5 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:45 pm

StillIll wrote:I haven't heard a peep since submitting on Jan 28th, well except for a completion acknowledgment a few days later. Anyone apply around a similar time ? Lack of online status checker makes me sad panda.


i submitted maybe a week or two earlier and havent heard anything outside of the completion email.

User avatar
risa
Posts: 466
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:03 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby risa » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:46 pm

StillIll wrote:I haven't heard a peep since submitting on Jan 28th, well except for a completion acknowledgment a few days later. Anyone apply around a similar time ? Lack of online status checker makes me sad panda.

I applied 1/24 and heard 2/20, so it was pretty quick turnaround. You could hear soon!

User avatar
ssanonymous
Posts: 513
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby ssanonymous » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:47 pm

StillIll wrote:I haven't heard a peep since submitting on Jan 28th, well except for a completion acknowledgment a few days later. Anyone apply around a similar time ? Lack of online status checker makes me sad panda.


Dude, I applied in November and only heard back last week. Chill.

User avatar
StillIll
Posts: 186
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:49 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby StillIll » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:48 pm

ssanonymous wrote:
StillIll wrote:I haven't heard a peep since submitting on Jan 28th, well except for a completion acknowledgment a few days later. Anyone apply around a similar time ? Lack of online status checker makes me sad panda.


Dude, I applied in November and only heard back last week. Chill.


I'm chill brotha, just curious is all

User avatar
uconjak
Posts: 357
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:20 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby uconjak » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:14 pm

shntn wrote:
uconjak wrote:Went to USC yesterday, going to tour UCLA today. Weather is great! Mid 70's...i will give you all my impressions after i am done

Can't wait!


Just got back from both USC and UCLA....my feelings on both schools.

USC, great campus, very organized when i toured. Dean of admin and director spent some time with me and my folks. Both were very impressive and very cordial. Actually spent time with us ( 20 minutes). Seemed very interested in me, set up a classroom visit. Instructor spent time with me after class(15-20 minutes). My big suprise was....they emailed me and invited me to watch the finals of their moot court the next day. they had noticed that i was big into mock trail and i was listed as a possible All American Attorney. they got me set up w/free parking and the director of admissions escort me to the finals.
Only down side for me is the building itself and the library...i know its stupid, but i spent a lot of time in the library in UG....i called it the pillbox....the treated me as an individual. We toured the school after the classroom with 4students. I liked the smaller classes/sections. Students came up to us while we were waiting and talked to us....

UCLA,
Not as organized, loved the campus and its atmosphere. I have read about the "micro climate" at UCLA and it is true. Law building and library were fan-damm-tastic....loved it. Only met with a student guide and visited a class. I do have a friend who is a 3L at UCLA. Cost of living has got to be higher there, it is not in the low rent district. More students on our tour...(8)and they had another group of ten behind us. More industrial/factory feel to it.

From what i have gathered, employment wise. If you want to stay in california, USC has the edge, if it is a national, the edge to UCLA.

I think both schools have their pluses and minuses. i liked both schools it was very close. If the COA was equal i would chose UCLA. But, Because of the scholarship money, USC -120k, UCLA - 48k and unless UCLA comes back with a total of approx. 105k, i will chose USC.

And that is the rub!

leximex21
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:09 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby leximex21 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:22 pm

I would give my first born, and probably so much more to be admitted. I mean pigs would be flying and I'd be shitting rainbows, but a girl can dream right?

BigZuck
Posts: 10854
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby BigZuck » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:27 pm

leximex21 wrote:I would give my first born, and probably so much more to be admitted. I mean pigs would be flying and I'd be shitting rainbows, but a girl can dream right?


Retake?

BigZuck
Posts: 10854
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby BigZuck » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:30 pm

uconjak wrote:
shntn wrote:
uconjak wrote:Went to USC yesterday, going to tour UCLA today. Weather is great! Mid 70's...i will give you all my impressions after i am done

Can't wait!


Just got back from both USC and UCLA....my feelings on both schools.

USC, great campus, very organized when i toured. Dean of admin and director spent some time with me and my folks. Both were very impressive and very cordial. Actually spent time with us ( 20 minutes). Seemed very interested in me, set up a classroom visit. Instructor spent time with me after class(15-20 minutes). My big suprise was....they emailed me and invited me to watch the finals of their moot court the next day. they had noticed that i was big into mock trail and i was listed as a possible All American Attorney. they got me set up w/free parking and the director of admissions escort me to the finals.
Only down side for me is the building itself and the library...i know its stupid, but i spent a lot of time in the library in UG....i called it the pillbox....the treated me as an individual. We toured the school after the classroom with 4students. I liked the smaller classes/sections. Students came up to us while we were waiting and talked to us....

UCLA,
Not as organized, loved the campus and its atmosphere. I have read about the "micro climate" at UCLA and it is true. Law building and library were fan-damm-tastic....loved it. Only met with a student guide and visited a class. I do have a friend who is a 3L at UCLA. Cost of living has got to be higher there, it is not in the low rent district. More students on our tour...(8)and they had another group of ten behind us. More industrial/factory feel to it.

From what i have gathered, employment wise. If you want to stay in california, USC has the edge, if it is a national, the edge to UCLA.

I think both schools have their pluses and minuses. i liked both schools it was very close. If the COA was equal i would chose UCLA. But, Because of the scholarship money, USC -120k, UCLA - 48k and unless UCLA comes back with a total of approx. 105k, i will chose USC.

And that is the rub!


Based on this write up it sounds like you liked USC more, why would you choose UCLA at equal cost? National placement? I thought both placed a negligent amount out of state and it didn't look like UCLA had an edge there? What data are you looking at to find out that kind of stuff?

Big Dog
Posts: 1191
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Big Dog » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:37 pm

Both place similarly. Where UCLA has a slight edge is in its national reputation (compare USNews' PA scores). Whether that matters in searching for jobs is questionable.

JohnMarshall17
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:52 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby JohnMarshall17 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:52 pm

Big Dog wrote:Both place similarly. Where UCLA has a slight edge is in its national reputation (compare USNews' PA scores). Whether that matters in searching for jobs is questionable.


http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... 0204135036 It helps that UCLA made up for lost ground and passed USC in this poll. Also, UCLA has a way better housing situation than USC. I hear USC's housing sucks and UCLA's Weyburn is awesome. I personally don't want to commute to school during 1L, but that's just me.

User avatar
uconjak
Posts: 357
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:20 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby uconjak » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:04 pm

Big Dog wrote:Both place similarly. Where UCLA has a slight edge is in its national reputation (compare USNews' PA scores). Whether that matters in searching for jobs is questionable.


U are right, UCLa has slightly a better national. I did state that i have a friend who is a 3L and i respect (he took UCLA over michigan)and he convinced me UCLA had the edge. I will did like the personal touches of USC....i was hoping for a clear choice. That didnt happen. I will have to wait until all the info gets to me and make a overall decision on all schools. Still waiting on schollies from several schools. Plus waiting on decisions on at least 5 schools.

born4law
Posts: 109
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:56 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby born4law » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:27 pm

Just got in via email and Dean Schwartz left a voicemail as well. What can I say? I'm happy to be accepted :)
Last edited by born4law on Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

nba101790
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:05 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby nba101790 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:31 pm

Congrats. Would you mind sharing your numbers for those who are waiting anxiously?

born4law
Posts: 109
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:56 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby born4law » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:35 pm

.
Last edited by born4law on Mon May 06, 2013 2:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

corinnejay
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:02 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby corinnejay » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:04 am

The more time I spend on the WL the more I want to go to UCLA. Anybody get off the waitlist at this point or know the probability of getting off it? Planning on sending in a LOCI this week.

User avatar
Lighthouseman
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:20 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Lighthouseman » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:56 pm

Complete 1/7. Still haven't heard anything. Come on UCLA!

mh013
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:23 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby mh013 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:01 pm

Anyone know what the biggest amount of scholarship they offer is? trying to figure out if i can negotiate or not bother.


I started out with a good scholarship but negotiated it up to a full ride. The dean of admissions is very nice and accessible. As long as you good have scholarships from t-14s it shouldn't be a problem.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 88234, ad34964n, admitmels180, anrf1225, Chipotle85, danid83, fazzvm56, genjustice, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], govlife, hannahbama14, hip to be Square, hoping4scholy, Lawschool305, Leliana, lillawyer2, lsa16, Mr.F, NUDad, stewhan, thg1870, yuppitsme and 58 guests