UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
06102016
Posts: 13466
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:29 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby 06102016 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:09 pm

..

User avatar
megagnarley
Posts: 497
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:58 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby megagnarley » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:20 pm

slack_academic wrote:
megagnarley wrote:
uconjak wrote:
USCbusinessgrad wrote:Got the acceptance call today too, but I'm kind of bummed now that I see others were offered scholarships... I went complete 1/25, so I was hoping that hearing back this quickly meant $$ was coming with the info he said I'd be receiving. Are scholarship offers always mentioned in the acceptance call?

Any advice? I'm a splitter URM with entertainment business experience


Got in to USC and UCLA. UCLA is one of my top choices but the cash is important also. Only got 48K in scholly from UCLA. USC gave me 120K> I am going to LA next week to see my sis sing at the Hotel Cafe and tour both schools. I have an appointment to discuss my Schollies then with both schools. I will let you all know what happens....some people say UCLA is all BS on wanting to be competitive.....we will see.


USC is throwing around a ton of $$ this year. I think UCLA is struggling to keep up.

I kind of wondered if this would happen. It's been happening for years now with the two universities generally, but USC has made steady gains in part because of its fundraising/scholarship advantages. Whereas other schools might worry about a decline in numbers, USC might toss out some hefty $$$ in order to hold its position and in effect climb higher while other schools go backwards, specifically UCLA.

Probably won't make that big of a difference, but it could play out in interesting ways.
'

Yes.

Make no mistake USC is climbing. I was just speaking with a big entertainment attorney (yes, they exist) yesterday who mentioned the ascension of USC and how he feels they are now, in some respects, outpacing UCLA.

Food for though.

Golden Bear 11
Posts: 169
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:21 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Golden Bear 11 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:29 pm

USC is most likely not going to outpace UCLA. USC is throwing money to maintain a 167 median. UCLA is going to maintain a 168 median. Last year, UCLA WIDENED the gap in the rankings.

User avatar
megagnarley
Posts: 497
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:58 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby megagnarley » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:33 pm

Golden Bear 11 wrote:USC is most likely not going to outpace UCLA. USC is throwing money to maintain a 167 median. UCLA is going to maintain a 168 median. Last year, UCLA WIDENED the gap in the rankings.


You're talking about medians and rankings.

I am talking about how the schools are viewed by practicing lawyers/hiring partners in LA.

Read carefully.

BigZuck
Posts: 10872
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby BigZuck » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:38 pm

I know of at least one person who would rather boost USCs 75ths than help UCLA maintain their medians. Couple slightly better employment stats with lower COA and you've got a winner. Money talks.

User avatar
USCbusinessgrad
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:29 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby USCbusinessgrad » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:46 pm

fallingup wrote:I think I'm the only person who didn't like the phone call. Phone calls with authority figures make me incredibly nervous. Why would you put an already admitted student through the emotional wringer of having to suddenly and unexpectedly speak to the dean of admissions!? It felt like another test for me.


Hah I totally agree

User avatar
Rlabo
Posts: 516
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:18 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Rlabo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:08 pm

USCbusinessgrad wrote:
fallingup wrote:I think I'm the only person who didn't like the phone call. Phone calls with authority figures make me incredibly nervous. Why would you put an already admitted student through the emotional wringer of having to suddenly and unexpectedly speak to the dean of admissions!? It felt like another test for me.


Hah I totally agree



And I had a great talk with him. He knew one of my recommenders and made it a point to make a joke that I got in despite his poor letter and that I should send my regards.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9647
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:38 pm

USCbusinessgrad wrote:
fallingup wrote:I think I'm the only person who didn't like the phone call. Phone calls with authority figures make me incredibly nervous. Why would you put an already admitted student through the emotional wringer of having to suddenly and unexpectedly speak to the dean of admissions!? It felt like another test for me.


Hah I totally agree


You have to relax... and be more prepared for professional interaction. Early success in law school will be just as much about confidence, networking, and personality as it will be about test taking.

User avatar
laura2011
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:49 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby laura2011 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:11 pm

laura2011 wrote:Just withdrew (was admitted back in November).

I hope this opens up a spot for somebody else! Good luck to those still waiting on a decision!


btw, I just got a reply from Dean Schwartz asking where I would be going instead. not that I mind telling but is this standard practice? does anyone know / any similar experiences?

User avatar
letitloose
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:13 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby letitloose » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:15 pm

laura2011 wrote:
laura2011 wrote:Just withdrew (was admitted back in November).

I hope this opens up a spot for somebody else! Good luck to those still waiting on a decision!


btw, I just got a reply from Dean Schwartz asking where I would be going instead. not that I mind telling but is this standard practice? does anyone know / any similar experiences?

Not sure if it's standard practice, but I was asked the same thing by a different school. I had a similar reaction. I hadn't committed to a particular school yet, and I just responded with that.

zman
Posts: 500
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:31 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby zman » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:26 pm

megagnarley wrote:
uconjak wrote:
USCbusinessgrad wrote:Got the acceptance call today too, but I'm kind of bummed now that I see others were offered scholarships... I went complete 1/25, so I was hoping that hearing back this quickly meant $$ was coming with the info he said I'd be receiving. Are scholarship offers always mentioned in the acceptance call?

Any advice? I'm a splitter URM with entertainment business experience


Got in to USC and UCLA. UCLA is one of my top choices but the cash is important also. Only got 48K in scholly from UCLA. USC gave me 120K> I am going to LA next week to see my sis sing at the Hotel Cafe and tour both schools. I have an appointment to discuss my Schollies then with both schools. I will let you all know what happens....some people say UCLA is all BS on wanting to be competitive.....we will see.


USC is throwing around a ton of $$ this year. I think UCLA is struggling to keep up.


I don't think UCLA is struggling to keep up with USC but USC is throwing more money around this time it seems. UCLA already has huge GPAs, I dont know how they can move up anymore in the rankings really because Cornell has better employment numbers and better peer reviews despite having lower GPA's than UCLA and even USC. USC on the other hand has a good chance to pass Vanderbilt and texas in the next couple of years.
Last edited by zman on Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

h2opolo
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 1:11 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby h2opolo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:41 pm

To all fellow admitted students, what was in your admissions packet? All I got was the Welcome letter, UCLA Law Magazine, UCLA bulletin, and an old Spring 2012 UCLA Newsletter...
However, on the admitted students site it says the admit packet contents include: Welcome Letter, Contact Information, Information for Welcome Receptions, Websites to Visit, and a 2011-2012 Academic Calendar. I only received one of those (Welcome letter) and am unable to access the other material from the admitted students section. Am I an outlier or are others experiencing this?!

User avatar
uconjak
Posts: 357
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:20 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby uconjak » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:01 pm

laura2011 wrote:
laura2011 wrote:Just withdrew (was admitted back in November).

I hope this opens up a spot for somebody else! Good luck to those still waiting on a decision!


btw, I just got a reply from Dean Schwartz asking where I would be going instead. not that I mind telling but is this standard practice? does anyone know / any similar experiences?


What are your stats, and where u going.

User avatar
b123
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:32 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby b123 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:12 pm

JUST DENY ME ALREADY

User avatar
dproduct
Posts: 4087
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:58 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby dproduct » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:21 pm

b123 wrote:JUST DENY ME ALREADY


Works so well with the 'tar :lol:

User avatar
dproduct
Posts: 4087
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:58 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby dproduct » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:22 pm

lol at all this talk about UCLA struggling to compete with USC

zman
Posts: 500
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:31 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby zman » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:29 pm

dproduct wrote:lol at all this talk about UCLA struggling to compete with USC


well they are not struggling wit htat.. they are struggling with bad employment numbers compared to the schools ranked ahead of them other than say georgetown.

User avatar
megagnarley
Posts: 497
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:58 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby megagnarley » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:30 pm

dproduct wrote:lol at all this talk about UCLA struggling to compete with USC


LOL at taking things out of context. The initially comment about struggling to keep up was regarding scholarship money, which is absolutely true.

User avatar
dproduct
Posts: 4087
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:58 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby dproduct » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:38 pm

megagnarley wrote:
dproduct wrote:lol at all this talk about UCLA struggling to compete with USC


LOL at taking things out of context. The initially comment about struggling to keep up was regarding scholarship money, which is absolutely true.


megagnarley wrote:Make no mistake USC is climbing. I was just speaking with a big entertainment attorney (yes, they exist) yesterday who mentioned the ascension of USC and how he feels they are now, in some respects, outpacing UCLA.


So that's what you meant here?

Cali_App_333
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:32 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Cali_App_333 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:50 pm

Not to interrupt the discussion but...IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm so excited and shocked and over the moon, I REALLY did not think I had a shot at anything past maybe the waitlist. Congrats to other admits as well!

User avatar
intlsplitr
Posts: 169
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:00 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby intlsplitr » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:52 pm

h2opolo wrote:To all fellow admitted students, what was in your admissions packet? All I got was the Welcome letter, UCLA Law Magazine, UCLA bulletin, and an old Spring 2012 UCLA Newsletter...
However, on the admitted students site it says the admit packet contents include: Welcome Letter, Contact Information, Information for Welcome Receptions, Websites to Visit, and a 2011-2012 Academic Calendar. I only received one of those (Welcome letter) and am unable to access the other material from the admitted students section. Am I an outlier or are others experiencing this?!


I received the same as you. Info on welcome receptions came by email.

Golden Bear 11
Posts: 169
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:21 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Golden Bear 11 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:55 pm

dproduct wrote:
megagnarley wrote:
dproduct wrote:lol at all this talk about UCLA struggling to compete with USC


LOL at taking things out of context. The initially comment about struggling to keep up was regarding scholarship money, which is absolutely true.


megagnarley wrote:Make no mistake USC is climbing. I was just speaking with a big entertainment attorney (yes, they exist) yesterday who mentioned the ascension of USC and how he feels they are now, in some respects, outpacing UCLA.


So that's what you meant here?


He/She is probably a USC student who got rejected from UCLA

User avatar
dproduct
Posts: 4087
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:58 pm

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby dproduct » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:05 pm

Cali_App_333 wrote:Not to interrupt the discussion but...IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm so excited and shocked and over the moon, I REALLY did not think I had a shot at anything past maybe the waitlist. Congrats to other admits as well!


Congrats!! 8)

User avatar
megagnarley
Posts: 497
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:58 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby megagnarley » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:06 pm

dproduct wrote:
megagnarley wrote:
dproduct wrote:lol at all this talk about UCLA struggling to compete with USC


LOL at taking things out of context. The initially comment about struggling to keep up was regarding scholarship money, which is absolutely true.


megagnarley wrote:Make no mistake USC is climbing. I was just speaking with a big entertainment attorney (yes, they exist) yesterday who mentioned the ascension of USC and how he feels they are now, in some respects, outpacing UCLA.


So that's what you meant here?


Nope. But then again that wasn't the cited post now was it? How convenient for you.

There I meant exactly what I said: in some respects, such as percentages of recent big firm hires, USC is outpacing LA. The words of a hiring partner, not even my own.

When I first used "Struggling to keep up," which is the actually cited phrase that you alluded to, I said exactly this:
megagnarley wrote:USC is throwing around a ton of $$ this year. I think UCLA is struggling to keep up.


A direct comment about scholarship, then taken liberties with to somehow mean "struggling to keep up in capacity <x>."

Questions?

zman
Posts: 500
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:31 am

Re: UCLA c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby zman » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:07 pm

"big entertainment atourney". Who?? They have no clue about law school and they don't care.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ashrice13, Baidu [Spider], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Zoe107 and 6 guests