Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
elterrible78

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby elterrible78 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:50 am

Hey guys.

Some of you may have seen some stats-based stuff I have been posting in other forums. I have been working a lot on it, trying to kill time while application decisions trickle in. Most of the stuff I did over the last couple days was based on the last cycle, or the last two cycles. I've started to put together individual school analysis based on ALL the available data on LSN now, so I'll post them to the corresponding school's threads. This would probably have been more useful/interesting for people a few months ago, but what the heck.

This table is based on logistical regression analysis of data from Law School Numbers. It includes all accepted and rejected applicants from the 2003/4 cycle up until the present (2012/2013) cycle. It does not include waitlisted applicants (unless they indicated that they had been ultimately accepted or rejected). Please keep in mind the nature of the data when interpreting these results.

Also, keep in mind that this analysis is based only on the outcomes for the indicated school’s applicant pool compared to each other, and does not necessarily mean that “numbers aren’t important” to any particular school.

Eventually, once I've slogged through everything, I'll compile lists and, where they'd be helpful, charts comparing data across schools. I'm no stats expert, but I picked up some stuff in grad school, and I enjoy it.

ajclark1992

Postby ajclark1992 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:36 am

Great work elterrible. I am terribly impressed.

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:55 pm

Last edited by ManOfTheMinute on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

spyke123

Postby spyke123 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:04 pm

Has SLS admitted anyone who submitted in Dec/Jan yet?

RSterling

Postby RSterling » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:26 pm

September submit. No news yet :(. Someone hold me as we brace for the upcoming bloodbath..

bosmer88

Postby bosmer88 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:48 pm

RSterling wrote:September submit. No news yet :(. Someone hold me as we brace for the upcoming bloodbath..

Any idea on when we can expect the bloodbath?

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:59 pm

bosmer88 wrote:
RSterling wrote:September submit. No news yet :(. Someone hold me as we brace for the upcoming bloodbath..

Based on last year, this coming Monday - last year's were first sent on Monday 1/31. DLS should show up first as well.

Rory19

Postby Rory19 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:31 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
bosmer88 wrote:

Based on last year, this coming Monday - last year's were first sent on Monday 1/31. DLS should show up first as well.

I don't know if I'm ready for this... So far only Harvard has spilled blood in my application cycle and I did not really want to go there anyway but Stanford's relatively smaller incoming class, sunshine and Social Innovation Review really caught my eye. I just wish I had the scores to back it up. I have been under review since October. It's not looking good...

RSterling

Postby RSterling » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:24 am

bosmer88 wrote:

Based on previous cycles (which hasn't been a great predictor thus far), I'd say either late this week or sometime next week. I just hate that in the past Stanford has not given any word to waitlisted candidates until April. I wish they would at least acknowledge WL applications before then with some sort of update. At least when I got held at H, I knew that someone had at least read my application long enough to have an opinion about it.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:43 pm

bosmer88 wrote:
RSterling wrote:

Based on previous cycles (which hasn't been a great predictor thus far), I'd say either late this week or sometime next week. I just hate that in the past Stanford has not given any word to waitlisted candidates until April. I wish they would at least acknowledge WL applications before then with some sort of update. At least when I got held at H, I knew that someone had at least read my application long enough to have an opinion about it.

I'm actually looking forward to it. Hope my rejection letter comes by the end of this week; this is the last school I'm waiting on that I would actually take over those I'm already in at, and I would appreciate some closure on this cycle.

edit: by closure I mean proceeding to the begging/haggling for merit aid from everyone.
Last edited by jbagelboy on Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:43 pm

sweet baby of jesus -- just got the call from dean deal!!!!!!!!!!!!

pinched myself, still not dreaming ... although I did sleep two hours past my alarm today, so maybe its a weird day.

Since I've now gotten into one of my three top choices (obvs HYS), here are my real numbers:
173/3.83 -- Huge upward trend in GPA in that I got a 1.91 my first semester due to huge medical illness, 3.97 since then.
Sent 1/6, Complete 1/18. I accept that turnaround time (you hear that YLS?)

ssanonymous

Postby ssanonymous » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:44 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:sweet baby of jesus -- just got the call from dean deal!!!!!!!!!!!!

pinched myself, still not dreaming ... although I did sleep two hours past my alarm today, so maybe its a weird day.

Since I've now gotten into one of my three top choices (obvs HYS), here are my real numbers:
173/3.83 -- Huge upward trend in GPA in that I got a 1.91 my first semester due to huge medical illness, 3.97 since then.

No surprises there. Congrats! And that WAS crazy fast!
Last edited by ssanonymous on Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:45 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:sweet baby of jesus -- just got the call from dean deal!!!!!!!!!!!!

congrats!!! and now they've reached late January completes.

I had a similar situation w/ a terrible 1st semester GPA from being in the hospital and picking it up from there (not as well as you did though). enjoy!

Cicero76

Postby Cicero76 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:47 pm

Similar numbers, but you complete well after me... somewhat soul crushing to know I'm probably out.

Congrats though, Stanford is awesome!

ssanonymous

Postby ssanonymous » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:50 pm

Do you know how many people are in the Stanford FB group (if there is one)?

carboncopyx

Postby carboncopyx » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:55 pm

Ohmygod, HUGE congrats!!!! Also superfast turnaround. Go celebrate!!

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:08 pm

ssanonymous wrote:Do you know how many people are in the Stanford FB group (if there is one)?

I will investigate it and let you guys know if I find anything - so far I only have the phone call (no moleskin or email or update to the status checker), so it might have been a mistaken case of identity-acceptance :cry:

@jbagelboy - have faith man!

@everyoneelse - thank you! who knows how they decide which apps to read first though, its probably via the throw the apps down the stairs method

debater88

Postby debater88 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:31 pm

I just got the call too! OMFG! When my phone rang and I saw where the call was from, I got that feeling in my chest you get right before you go over the first hill of a roller coaster - pure excitement.

Everyone else that got in - see you at ASW!

digifly

Postby digifly » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:39 pm

debater88 wrote:I just got the call too! OMFG! When my phone rang and I saw where the call was from, I got that feeling in my chest you get right before you go over the first hill of a roller coaster - pure excitement.

When did you submit? January as well?

WAY TO GO!

ssanonymous

Postby ssanonymous » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:39 pm

debater88 wrote:I just got the call too! OMFG! When my phone rang and I saw where the call was from, I got that feeling in my chest you get right before you go over the first hill of a roller coaster - pure excitement.

AHHH! That's so exciting! Congrats new admits!

MAHamlin

Postby MAHamlin » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:40 pm

As a near numbers twin to you, your success gives me hope! When did you go complete? I've been under review since 12/20.

az21833

Postby az21833 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:45 pm

oh my god MOTM, that is nuts!!! congrats!!! youve been deceiving me with that 173 lol

vividviolin

Postby vividviolin » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:46 pm

IN!! I have no idea what all Dean Deal said because I was too busy freaking out, but ... !!!! My hands were shaking for a good ten minutes...

(complete in early December; don't lose hope guys! It can still happen! This is far from over.)

az21833

Postby az21833 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:47 pm

Congrats!!! do you have your submit/complete dates. we are near-number twins so this is inspiring.

ssanonymous

Postby ssanonymous » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:49 pm

vividviolin wrote:IN!! I have no idea what all Dean Deal said because I was too busy freaking out, but ... !!!! My hands were shaking for a good ten minutes...

(complete in early December; don't lose hope guys! It can still happen! This is far from over.)

Nice! Looks like there's real movement today. Congrats everyone!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”