Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
whereskyle

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby whereskyle » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:45 pm

aredhello wrote:Just got the WL letter today after DLS on Wednesday.

Edit: I think someone may have mentioned something along these lines before, but if not, this is a direct quote from the WL letter:

At this point in the process, we have stopped admitting any more applicants for the present, and we have sent out a large number of denial letters to those, whom we will not be accepting.

Interesting. If true, this would lead to only two possibilities: All those still waiting face WL/Deny, or some of those waiting are on a soft hold to be admitted as spots open up.

With conflicting reports, however, I will draw no conclusions.

mickeysevenn

Postby mickeysevenn » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:47 pm

whereskyle wrote:
aredhello wrote:Just got the WL letter today after DLS on Wednesday.

Edit: I think someone may have mentioned something along these lines before, but if not, this is a direct quote from the WL letter:

At this point in the process, we have stopped admitting any more applicants for the present, and we have sent out a large number of denial letters to those, whom we will not be accepting.

Interesting. If true, this would lead to only two possibilities: All those still waiting face WL/Deny, or some of those waiting are on a soft hold to be admitted as spots open up.

With conflicting reports, however, I will draw no conclusions.

I conclude that I hate my life.

whereskyle

Postby whereskyle » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:50 pm

the present lasts for how long.... all of one microsecond?

MacB

Postby MacB » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:00 pm

whereskyle wrote:the present lasts for how long.... all of one microsecond?

Technically, wouldn't the present only exist in theory since units of time are infinitely subdivisible? :lol:

Really though, if I were an applicant for whom a decision had yet to be rendered, I would pay very little attention to the wording of a WL letter sent to another applicant. Just an anecdote, but I was admitted and offered substantial scholarships to schools that were at the time publicly stating that no decisions had yet been rendered. I'm guessing schools assume that we don't share information as we do.

whereskyle

Postby whereskyle » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:02 pm

MacB wrote:

Technically, wouldn't the present only exist in theory since units of time are infinitely subdivisible? :lol:

Really though, if I were an applicant for whom a decision had yet to be rendered, I would pay very little attention to the wording of a WL letter sent to another applicant. Just an anecdote, but I was admitted and offered substantial scholarships to schools that were at the time publicly stating that no decisions had yet been rendered. I'm guessing schools assume that we don't share information as we do.

and so the zest returns to my blood

feelingood

Postby feelingood » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:06 pm

We're all gona die.

bosmer88

Postby bosmer88 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:07 pm

MacB wrote:

Mac, thanks for the input. This is something I will definitely keep in mind.

carboncopyx

Postby carboncopyx » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:26 pm

YOU KNOW WHAT, STANFORD, I DON'T EVEN CARE ANYMORE. I DON'T EVEN CARE.

Postby 04102014 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:58 pm

Does anyone know (or care to speculate about) whether law schools can still access apps when lsac is down?

MacB

Postby MacB » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:10 pm

ohpobrecito wrote:Does anyone know (or care to speculate about) whether law schools can still access apps when lsac is down?

As I understand it, adcomms use a hard copy of your application during their reviews. This is just what I've been told by members of admissions committees at a small handful of law schools. Someone chime in if they have conflicting information.

Postby 04102014 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:23 pm

MacB wrote:
ohpobrecito wrote:Does anyone know (or care to speculate about) whether law schools can still access apps when lsac is down?

As I understand it, adcomms use a hard copy of your application during their reviews. This is just what I've been told by members of admissions committees at a small handful of law schools. Someone chime in if they have conflicting information.

I've always just wondered how updates on status checkers relate to app review.

basebalscribe

Postby basebalscribe » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:47 pm

I know that several have speculated about this before and you have essentially no reason to trust someone posting in an Internet forum, especially one who has not regularly posted in this thread, but I have on pretty good authority that they are not taking new admits (not just because it said that in my letter). I have it on the same authority that SLS is expecting slightly more movement on the list than previous years because of the nature of this cycle - SLS has already lost some applicants who usually go HYS because non T-3 schools have been particularly aggressive (Columbia, etc) offering money to HYS wobblers who were admitted.

If you have not been admitted, your best path forward is WL-admit. That is slightly more likely than previous cycles, but still a difficult path.

Thanks all,

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:58 pm

Time is relative at Stanford. A microsecond to them is three months to us.

It's because the Stanford admissions office is a literal black hole, bending time according to the general theory of relativity.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:57 pm

carboncopyx wrote:YOU KNOW WHAT, STANFORD, I DON'T EVEN CARE ANYMORE. I DON'T EVEN CARE.

Carbon! Stanford hasn't sent me anything either! It's like we're the same!

angflos

Postby angflos » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:40 pm

Now that status checker is down, there is the distinct possibility that a bunch of us will be seeing fresh new DLS' when it comes back up.

Aawaldrop

Postby Aawaldrop » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:43 pm

angflos wrote:Now that status checker is down, there is the distinct possibility that a bunch of us will be seeing fresh new DLS' when it comes back up.

Awwwww yeeeaaaaahhhh

jselson

Postby jselson » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:50 pm

angflos wrote:Now that status checker is down, there is the distinct possibility that a bunch of us will be seeing fresh new DLS' when it comes back up.

IT'S BACK UP AND I'M STI.LL IN REVIEW!!

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:53 pm

Lol @ Stanford working on weekends. Still UR.

chickpea

Postby chickpea » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:53 pm

Also still under review. Sigh.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:47 pm

basebalscribe wrote:If you have not been admitted, your best path forward is WL-admit.

Unless your name is basebalscribe, then your best path forward is to retake the goddamn LSAT. Don't waste a 3.92 from HYPS on a 167. That's ridiculous.

jselson

Postby jselson » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:59 pm

TripTrip wrote:
basebalscribe wrote:If you have not been admitted, your best path forward is WL-admit.

Unless your name is basebalscribe, then your best path forward is to retake the goddamn LSAT. Don't waste a 3.92 from HYPS on a 167. That's ridiculous.

edamame

Postby edamame » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:21 pm

Just withdrew via email. Hope it helps one of you get a (positive) decision faster.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:07 pm

edamame wrote:Just withdrew via email. Hope it helps one of you get a (positive) decision faster.

appreciated! good luck!

taf889

Postby taf889 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:18 pm

basebalscribe wrote:I know that several have speculated about this before and you have essentially no reason to trust someone posting in an Internet forum, especially one who has not regularly posted in this thread, but I have on pretty good authority that they are not taking new admits (not just because it said that in my letter). I have it on the same authority that SLS is expecting slightly more movement on the list than previous years because of the nature of this cycle - SLS has already lost some applicants who usually go HYS because non T-3 schools have been particularly aggressive (Columbia, etc) offering money to HYS wobblers who were admitted.

If you have not been admitted, your best path forward is WL-admit. That is slightly more likely than previous cycles, but still a difficult path.

Thanks all,

I don't understand... is no one else reading into this? "my letter"?

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:31 pm

taf889 wrote:
basebalscribe wrote:I know that several have speculated about this before and you have essentially no reason to trust someone posting in an Internet forum, especially one who has not regularly posted in this thread, but I have on pretty good authority that they are not taking new admits (not just because it said that in my letter). I have it on the same authority that SLS is expecting slightly more movement on the list than previous years because of the nature of this cycle - SLS has already lost some applicants who usually go HYS because non T-3 schools have been particularly aggressive (Columbia, etc) offering money to HYS wobblers who were admitted.

Thanks all,

I don't understand... is no one else reading into this? "my letter"?

What is there to read into? They said, "your best path forward is WL-admit." Is there a different (non-best) path that ends in admission if you've been waitlisted? You're not going to refuse the waitlist and get in, so no.

There's no advice here and nothing we didn't already know.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”