Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
jselson
Posts: 6337
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:51 am

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby jselson » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:26 pm

zabava wrote:Did you guys notice how there were a couple ppl in the "in at stanford" thread who said they were withdrawing post ASW?
I didn't see any such similar posts in the thread from last year, http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... &start=300

Is it possible that despite a similar number of acceptances so far compared to last year, due to more withdrawals there are more spots for people who have been left hanging, or is there not enough data to assume that or that it doesn't make a significant difference?


Probably just more people being vocal than last year, I doubt it's meaningful.

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby sinfiery » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:27 pm

zabava wrote:Did you guys notice how there were a couple ppl in the "in at stanford" thread who said they were withdrawing post ASW?
I didn't see any such similar posts in the thread from last year, viewtopic.php?f=7&t=174082&start=300

Is it possible that despite a similar number of acceptances so far compared to last year, due to more withdrawals there are more spots for people who have been left hanging, or is there not enough data to assume that or that it doesn't make a significant difference?

USNWR SHIFT STRIKES!

statslaw
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:45 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby statslaw » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:34 pm

chickpea wrote:I totally agree that the admissions committee is doing their best to provide us with our admissions decisions as quickly as they can, and that any delay on their part is probably due to their taking the time to actually read and re-read all of our applications. I think the Stanford admissions committee has some especially tough decisions to make given their very small class size.


This. I know that I was not a fast and easy decision for them. I felt better about my long wait (not nearly as long as the terrible wait some of you guys have endured) when I was told they had read my entire application four times throughout the process, and that during my final faculty review everyone in the room read my personal statement at the same time. I'm not sure if they did that aloud or individually sitting around a table. As hard as it is waiting with nothing but silence, if you haven't heard at this point it's not because they set your application aside and forgot about you. I'm convinced it's because they're wrestling over every applicant. Right now, they're at the point where they have to make some of the hardest decisions of the cycle.

User avatar
chickpea
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby chickpea » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:39 pm

statslaw wrote:
chickpea wrote:I totally agree that the admissions committee is doing their best to provide us with our admissions decisions as quickly as they can, and that any delay on their part is probably due to their taking the time to actually read and re-read all of our applications. I think the Stanford admissions committee has some especially tough decisions to make given their very small class size.


This. I know that I was not a fast and easy decision for them. I felt better about my long wait (not nearly as long as the terrible wait some of you guys have endured) when I was told they had read my entire application four times throughout the process, and that during my final faculty review everyone in the room read my personal statement at the same time. I'm not sure if they did that aloud or individually sitting around a table. As hard as it is waiting with nothing but silence, if you haven't heard at this point it's not because they set your application aside and forgot about you. I'm convinced it's because they're wrestling over every applicant. Right now, they're at the point where they have to make some of the hardest decisions of the cycle.


Wow, thanks for sharing that with us. All of the faculty in faculty review reading your application at the same time? Intense.

Congratulations again on your acceptance!

User avatar
beepboopbeep
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby beepboopbeep » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:44 pm

chickpea wrote:Wow, thanks for sharing that with us. All of the faculty in faculty review reading your application at the same time? Intense.

Congratulations again on your acceptance!


That's terrifying. I picture lots of candles.

User avatar
bosmer88
Posts: 417
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:07 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby bosmer88 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:56 pm

statslaw wrote:
chickpea wrote:I totally agree that the admissions committee is doing their best to provide us with our admissions decisions as quickly as they can, and that any delay on their part is probably due to their taking the time to actually read and re-read all of our applications. I think the Stanford admissions committee has some especially tough decisions to make given their very small class size.


This. I know that I was not a fast and easy decision for them. I felt better about my long wait (not nearly as long as the terrible wait some of you guys have endured) when I was told they had read my entire application four times throughout the process, and that during my final faculty review everyone in the room read my personal statement at the same time. I'm not sure if they did that aloud or individually sitting around a table. As hard as it is waiting with nothing but silence, if you haven't heard at this point it's not because they set your application aside and forgot about you. I'm convinced it's because they're wrestling over every applicant. Right now, they're at the point where they have to make some of the hardest decisions of the cycle.


Really good info to know. Thanks statslaw.

I have no where else to vent about my law admission dreams except TLS.

I had a dream about Stanford last night. I remember a bunch of people reading my personal statement and a hell of a lot of red marks all over it (like a grammar teacher would mark it). Then I remember meeting Dean Deal and attending the ASW with a bunch of random people (who hadn't been admitted yet) in order to show that we were serious about attending. I then met the admissions committee who continued to read my personal statement and was told I had been waitlisted. End of dream.

Maybe it will be like my Harvard dream and movement will follow the next day. :)

Edit: Also, did anyone else's email change recently? In the past week, my secondary email replaced my primary.

User avatar
txdude45
Posts: 912
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 6:25 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby txdude45 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:07 pm

bosmer88 wrote:
I have no where else to vent about my law admission dreams except TLS.

...

Edit: Also, did anyone else's email change recently? In the past week, my secondary email replaced my primary.


1) preach
2) I don't think it means anything. Mine did this pretty soon after I went complete, but all it meant was a few months of painful waiting

User avatar
ssanonymous
Posts: 513
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby ssanonymous » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:08 pm

bosmer88 wrote:
statslaw wrote:
chickpea wrote:I totally agree that the admissions committee is doing their best to provide us with our admissions decisions as quickly as they can, and that any delay on their part is probably due to their taking the time to actually read and re-read all of our applications. I think the Stanford admissions committee has some especially tough decisions to make given their very small class size.


This. I know that I was not a fast and easy decision for them. I felt better about my long wait (not nearly as long as the terrible wait some of you guys have endured) when I was told they had read my entire application four times throughout the process, and that during my final faculty review everyone in the room read my personal statement at the same time. I'm not sure if they did that aloud or individually sitting around a table. As hard as it is waiting with nothing but silence, if you haven't heard at this point it's not because they set your application aside and forgot about you. I'm convinced it's because they're wrestling over every applicant. Right now, they're at the point where they have to make some of the hardest decisions of the cycle.


Really good info to know. Thanks statslaw.

I have no where else to vent about my law admission dreams except TLS.

I had a dream about Stanford last night. I remember a bunch of people reading my personal statement and a hell of a lot of red marks all over it (like a grammar teacher would mark it). Then I remember meeting Dean Deal and attending the ASW with a bunch of random people (who hadn't been admitted yet) in order to show that we were serious about attending. I then met the admissions committee who continued to read my personal statement and was told I had been waitlisted. End of dream.

Maybe it will be like my Harvard dream and movement will follow the next day. :)

Edit: Also, did anyone else's email change recently? In the past week, my secondary email replaced my primary.


It only matter if your primary mail also goes to lowercase. Otherwise it means nothing. Possibly an update from LSAC

switchis32
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:35 am

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby switchis32 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:02 pm

statslaw wrote:
chickpea wrote:I totally agree that the admissions committee is doing their best to provide us with our admissions decisions as quickly as they can, and that any delay on their part is probably due to their taking the time to actually read and re-read all of our applications. I think the Stanford admissions committee has some especially tough decisions to make given their very small class size.


This. I know that I was not a fast and easy decision for them. I felt better about my long wait (not nearly as long as the terrible wait some of you guys have endured) when I was told they had read my entire application four times throughout the process, and that during my final faculty review everyone in the room read my personal statement at the same time. I'm not sure if they did that aloud or individually sitting around a table. As hard as it is waiting with nothing but silence, if you haven't heard at this point it's not because they set your application aside and forgot about you. I'm convinced it's because they're wrestling over every applicant. Right now, they're at the point where they have to make some of the hardest decisions of the cycle.


they actually told you that when they called you?

User avatar
ManOfTheMinute
Posts: 1562
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:54 am

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:07 pm

switchis32 wrote:
statslaw wrote:
chickpea wrote:I totally agree that the admissions committee is doing their best to provide us with our admissions decisions as quickly as they can, and that any delay on their part is probably due to their taking the time to actually read and re-read all of our applications. I think the Stanford admissions committee has some especially tough decisions to make given their very small class size.


This. I know that I was not a fast and easy decision for them. I felt better about my long wait (not nearly as long as the terrible wait some of you guys have endured) when I was told they had read my entire application four times throughout the process, and that during my final faculty review everyone in the room read my personal statement at the same time. I'm not sure if they did that aloud or individually sitting around a table. As hard as it is waiting with nothing but silence, if you haven't heard at this point it's not because they set your application aside and forgot about you. I'm convinced it's because they're wrestling over every applicant. Right now, they're at the point where they have to make some of the hardest decisions of the cycle.


they actually told you that when they called you?


Yeah seriously... how did you get such an indepth view of their admissions procedures?

User avatar
txdude45
Posts: 912
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 6:25 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby txdude45 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:16 pm

statslaw wrote:
chickpea wrote:I totally agree that the admissions committee is doing their best to provide us with our admissions decisions as quickly as they can, and that any delay on their part is probably due to their taking the time to actually read and re-read all of our applications. I think the Stanford admissions committee has some especially tough decisions to make given their very small class size.


This. I know that I was not a fast and easy decision for them. I felt better about my long wait (not nearly as long as the terrible wait some of you guys have endured) when I was told they had read my entire application four times throughout the process, and that during my final faculty review everyone in the room read my personal statement at the same time. I'm not sure if they did that aloud or individually sitting around a table. As hard as it is waiting with nothing but silence, if you haven't heard at this point it's not because they set your application aside and forgot about you. I'm convinced it's because they're wrestling over every applicant. Right now, they're at the point where they have to make some of the hardest decisions of the cycle.


Faye?

User avatar
bosmer88
Posts: 417
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:07 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby bosmer88 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:18 pm

:lol:

statslaw
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:45 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby statslaw » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:36 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
switchis32 wrote:
statslaw wrote:
chickpea wrote:I totally agree that the admissions committee is doing their best to provide us with our admissions decisions as quickly as they can, and that any delay on their part is probably due to their taking the time to actually read and re-read all of our applications. I think the Stanford admissions committee has some especially tough decisions to make given their very small class size.


This. I know that I was not a fast and easy decision for them. I felt better about my long wait (not nearly as long as the terrible wait some of you guys have endured) when I was told they had read my entire application four times throughout the process, and that during my final faculty review everyone in the room read my personal statement at the same time. I'm not sure if they did that aloud or individually sitting around a table. As hard as it is waiting with nothing but silence, if you haven't heard at this point it's not because they set your application aside and forgot about you. I'm convinced it's because they're wrestling over every applicant. Right now, they're at the point where they have to make some of the hardest decisions of the cycle.


they actually told you that when they called you?


Yeah seriously... how did you get such an indepth view of their admissions procedures?


I don't know if it's all that in depth, or more in depth than Faye has revealed in her blog. She posted an entry on April 11th, 2010 where she said, "As the end of the season nears, I have to let some candidates go whose files I’ve been holding on to just trying to see if I can fit them in. You may not realize it, but many of you get multiple reviews by me and I get to know you quite well. This is a one-sided relationship, I know, and it is common knowledge that one-sided relationships are not healthy, but it works in the admissions world."

When I spoke to her on the phone during my acceptance, she said she had reviewed my file four times and provided the additional details I mentioned before. I think others who received their acceptance in the last few weeks may have also mentioned a "faculty review" where the committee made a final decision on their file. I think I fit into the group she referenced above. I feel completely humbled and fortunate for the opportunity to attend Stanford. I thought I'd provide what perspective I could for others who are still struggling with the wait. Before I received my decision, I couldn't focus at all without hitting the refresh button on this website every two minutes. It's even worse when you think the only reason you're still waiting is because they haven't taken the time to send out your decision. When I talked to Faye, that wasn't the impression I got at all.

MOTM, carboncopy, helix, Hillary (ssanonymous), and many others were the best thing to happen to my admissions cycle for the entertainment and value of distraction. Just want to do what I can to give back.

User avatar
ssanonymous
Posts: 513
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby ssanonymous » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:02 pm

Stats, congrats again and thanks for sharing the info! It must feel great that Faye & co. looked over your app with such care.

I'm hoping that because there hasn't been a massive wave of dings that there must be a couple of spots open. Why else would they take this long?

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby sinfiery » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:16 pm

ssanonymous wrote:I'm hoping that because there hasn't been a massive wave of dings that there must be a couple of spots open. Why else would they take this long?


Probably sifting apps into WL and Rejection categories



I just hope they have the decency tell us if we are WL or Rejected without having to wait on the snail mail envelope.

User avatar
ssanonymous
Posts: 513
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby ssanonymous » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:20 pm

sinfiery wrote:
ssanonymous wrote:I'm hoping that because there hasn't been a massive wave of dings that there must be a couple of spots open. Why else would they take this long?


Probably sifting apps into WL and Rejection categories



I just hope they have the decency tell us if we are WL or Rejected without having to wait on the snail mail envelope.


They won't. DLS = WL or Ding

User avatar
carboncopyx
Posts: 671
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:30 am

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby carboncopyx » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:22 pm

statslaw wrote:It's even worse when you think the only reason you're still waiting is because they haven't taken the time to send out your decision. When I talked to Faye, that wasn't the impression I got at all.

MOTM, carboncopy, helix, Hillary (ssanonymous), and many others were the best thing to happen to my admissions cycle for the entertainment and value of distraction. Just want to do what I can to give back.

Awww.... this entire post gave me so many warm fuzzies in so many different ways. <3

User avatar
bosmer88
Posts: 417
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:07 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby bosmer88 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:25 pm

ssanonymous wrote:
sinfiery wrote:
ssanonymous wrote:I'm hoping that because there hasn't been a massive wave of dings that there must be a couple of spots open. Why else would they take this long?


Probably sifting apps into WL and Rejection categories



I just hope they have the decency tell us if we are WL or Rejected without having to wait on the snail mail envelope.


They won't. DLS = WL or Ding


It would be nice if they posted the letter online like Northwestern. I really wonder why SLS doesn't do that...

TravelBug17
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:04 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby TravelBug17 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:27 pm

Rejection by snail mail yesterday....

Anonymous4444
Posts: 631
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:41 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby Anonymous4444 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:30 pm

carboncopyx wrote:
statslaw wrote:It's even worse when you think the only reason you're still waiting is because they haven't taken the time to send out your decision. When I talked to Faye, that wasn't the impression I got at all.

MOTM, carboncopy, helix, Hillary (ssanonymous), and many others were the best thing to happen to my admissions cycle for the entertainment and value of distraction. Just want to do what I can to give back.

Awww.... this entire post gave me so many warm fuzzies in so many different ways. <3


What am I chopped liver? I was gonna say what am I a Stanford applicant? But I thought it may be too obscure. Either way I'm insulted

User avatar
bosmer88
Posts: 417
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:07 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby bosmer88 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:36 pm

TravelBug17 wrote:Rejection by snail mail yesterday....


Sorry to hear about the rejection Travelbug.

edit

User avatar
HankBashir
Posts: 536
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:01 am

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby HankBashir » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:13 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
chickpea wrote:lol, i hope they make their admissions decisions on 4/20. everyone gets in!

more seriously though, i guess we have to hear something this week or next week if admitted students are expected to make their deposits by May 1. let's hope we hear this week rather than next week though.


i mean... we can say this.. but its not really true. they can admit you whenever they want and give you an arbitrary personalized deposit deadline. they could call to admit you and ask you to make your binding deposit by close of business the next day. this is not really a process where we can claim any leverage


I was admitted on 4/9 and my deposit deadline is 5/10, so if you're admitted in the near future, they'll give you more time to weigh all your options. (EDIT: Provided you're not a waitlist admit)

User avatar
bluecouch
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:53 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby bluecouch » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:19 pm

HankBashir wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
chickpea wrote:lol, i hope they make their admissions decisions on 4/20. everyone gets in!

more seriously though, i guess we have to hear something this week or next week if admitted students are expected to make their deposits by May 1. let's hope we hear this week rather than next week though.


i mean... we can say this.. but its not really true. they can admit you whenever they want and give you an arbitrary personalized deposit deadline. they could call to admit you and ask you to make your binding deposit by close of business the next day. this is not really a process where we can claim any leverage


I was admitted on 4/9 and my deposit deadline is 5/10, so if you're admitted in the near future, they'll give you more time to weigh all your options. (EDIT: Provided you're not a waitlist admit)


+1 4/6 admit with a 5/10 deadline

User avatar
helix23
Posts: 1807
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby helix23 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:30 pm

statslaw wrote:MOTM, carboncopy, helix, Hillary (ssanonymous), and many others were the best thing to happen to my admissions cycle for the entertainment and value of distraction. Just want to do what I can to give back.


ohhhh shittt A-squad rangers up in this

User avatar
helix23
Posts: 1807
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby helix23 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:31 pm

Image




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: KeYe88, MSNbot Media, notsolawful, TudoBem and 10 guests