Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ssanonymous

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby ssanonymous » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:42 pm

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:44 pm

chickpea wrote:anyone have a guess as to when we'll get some admissions decisions? wild speculation might help fill the silence.

4/20

ssanonymous

Postby ssanonymous » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:46 pm

I think acceptances are essentially over and done with, and we'll all be hearing back on 4/30.

yarsten

Postby yarsten » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:49 pm

Yeah, last year (LinkRemoved) there was a big pile of deny/WL from 4/25 to 5/1, so...
next week.

helix23

Postby helix23 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:51 pm

helix23 wrote:my app is a LABYRINTH

efin12

Postby efin12 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:53 pm

chickpea wrote:anyone have a guess as to when we'll get some admissions decisions? wild speculation might help fill the silence.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned at all in the however many pages there are now, but when I called the admissions office yesterday they said they hope to have all decisions out by April 30th. Based on their glacial speed up to this point, I am not hoping to go DLS before 4/26. I submitted a seat deposit elsewhere last night, and I have calmed down considerably since.

chickpea

Postby chickpea » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:54 pm

lol, i hope they make their admissions decisions on 4/20. everyone gets in!

more seriously though, i guess the 4/30 things means we'll have to hear something this week or next week. I really hope it's this week.

also, if there are no acceptances left to give out why is this taking long? i would think sending out rejections/waitlists would be a relatively speedy process.
Last edited by chickpea on Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:55 pm

chickpea wrote:lol, i hope they make their admissions decisions on 4/20. everyone gets in!

more seriously though, i guess we have to hear something this week or next week if admitted students are expected to make their deposits by May 1. let's hope we hear this week rather than next week though.

i mean... we can say this.. but its not really true. they can admit you whenever they want and give you an arbitrary personalized deposit deadline. they could call to admit you and ask you to make your binding deposit by close of business the next day. this is not really a process where we can claim any leverage

chickpea

Postby chickpea » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:57 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
chickpea wrote:lol, i hope they make their admissions decisions on 4/20. everyone gets in!

more seriously though, i guess we have to hear something this week or next week if admitted students are expected to make their deposits by May 1. let's hope we hear this week rather than next week though.

i mean... we can say this.. but its not really true. they can admit you whenever they want and give you an arbitrary personalized deposit deadline. they could call to admit you and ask you to make your binding deposit by close of business the next day. this is not really a process where we can claim any leverage

Good point!

carboncopyx

Postby carboncopyx » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:47 pm

jbagelboy wrote:i mean... we can say this.. but its not really true. they can admit you whenever they want and give you an arbitrary personalized deposit deadline. they could call to admit you and ask you to make your binding deposit by close of business the next day. this is not really a process where we can claim any leverage

I feel like the ABA would have some sort of protection for applicants against that kind of exploitation... kind of like how one can accept a scholarship from a school before hearing back from another school that they would attend over the scholarship they accepted.

ssanonymous

Postby ssanonymous » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:48 pm

I'M GOING INSANE!!! My god.

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:54 pm

carboncopyx wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:i mean... we can say this.. but its not really true. they can admit you whenever they want and give you an arbitrary personalized deposit deadline. they could call to admit you and ask you to make your binding deposit by close of business the next day. this is not really a process where we can claim any leverage

I feel like the ABA would have some sort of protection for applicants against that kind of exploitation... kind of like how one can accept a scholarship from a school before hearing back from another school that they would attend over the scholarship they accepted.

Well I know that for the WL, when they offer you a spot, they ask you to seriously consider your options as you might have as little as a couple of days to give them your answer as it gets closer and closer to september... I mean, its not like getting in gives you more information to help you make your decision - other than financial aid. Not to say financial aid is not a big deal, but it is not likely to be markedly different, and they will probably match any other offers for H or Y

chickpea

Postby chickpea » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:55 pm

Right there with you! I spent all winter looking forward to the middle/end of March because I figured I would have all of my admissions decisions by then. Oh how wrong I was....

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:58 pm

carboncopyx wrote:

you'd hope so, right? In reality, I think its more that admission offices, despite TLS's bitching to the contrary, attempt to be extremely courteous and understanding towards potential students, and this prevailing attitude prevents scenarios like the above more than the threat of some sort of penalty. They do not intentionally try to put us in compromising positions, and do their best to accommodate, without going so far as to compromise the quality of their entering class. They put up with us constantly asking dumb questions, petitioning for more money, and harassing them into giving us a decision. there are many less graceful and cordial processes that you will have to endure in life, especially as a litigator

chickpea

Postby chickpea » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:03 pm

I totally agree that the admissions committee is doing their best to provide us with our admissions decisions as quickly as they can, and that any delay on their part is probably due to their taking the time to actually read and re-read all of our applications. I think the Stanford admissions committee has some especially tough decisions to make given their very small class size.

I think we can all agree that on some level we know our whining is silly and isn't going to help us receive our admissions decisions any sooner. We just need a forum to articulate our frustration/stress tied to this whole process and TLS is that forum.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:07 pm

chickpea wrote:We just need a forum to articulate our frustration/stress tied to this whole process and TLS is that forum.

and on that note.... FUUUUUCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

arrggg

Postby arrggg » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:14 pm

chickpea wrote:I totally agree that the admissions committee is doing their best to provide us with our admissions decisions as quickly as they can, and that any delay on their part is probably due to their taking the time to actually read and re-read all of our applications. I think the Stanford admissions committee has some especially tough decisions to make given their very small class size.

I think we can all agree that on some level we know our whining is silly and isn't going to help us receive our admissions decisions any sooner. We just need a forum to articulate our frustration/stress tied to this whole process and TLS is that forum.

At the same time, they could at least try to be a little more transparent. Other schools will at least give you UR2, UR3, etc., faculty review, and/or hold notices. Stanford has said nothing.

ssanonymous

Postby ssanonymous » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:14 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
chickpea wrote:We just need a forum to articulate our frustration/stress tied to this whole process and TLS is that forum.

+1. I think this cycle would've been easier sans TLS. Ignorance is bliss. If I do this whole thing again, I'm staying away from the internets.

chickpea

Postby chickpea » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:15 pm

ssanonymous wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

+1. I think this cycle would've been easier sans TLS. Ignorance is bliss. If I do this whole thing again, I'm staying away from the internets.

Haha I totally agree!

cwid1391

Postby cwid1391 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:16 pm

ssanonymous wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

You say that now...

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:19 pm

ssanonymous wrote:+1. I think this cycle would've been easier sans TLS. Ignorance is bliss. If I do this whole thing again, I'm staying away from the internets.

There is no going back once you've had a taste

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:20 pm

sinfiery wrote:
ssanonymous wrote:+1. I think this cycle would've been easier sans TLS. Ignorance is bliss. If I do this whole thing again, I'm staying away from the internets.

There is no going back once you've had a taste

+1 truth

andreskicdo

Postby andreskicdo » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:22 pm

My friends have told me to stay away from the forums. I have told them I barely go on them anymore.....this is what addiction looks like

chickpea

Postby chickpea » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:24 pm

So true. People keep telling me to block the site on my computer. I can't.

zabava

Postby zabava » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:25 pm

Did you guys notice how there were a couple ppl in the "in at stanford" thread who said they were withdrawing post ASW?
I didn't see any such similar posts in the thread from last year, http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... &start=300

Is it possible that despite a similar number of acceptances so far compared to last year, due to more withdrawals there are more spots for people who have been left hanging, or is there not enough data to assume that or that it doesn't make a significant difference?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”