Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Teflon_Don
Posts: 474
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:04 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby Teflon_Don » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:21 am

hopeful16 wrote:
twinkletoes16 wrote:Nothing before Christmas? Seems weird, Stanford. There must be a massive wave of acceptances coming in January.

Agreed. According to a blog post from last year (http://blogs.law.stanford.edu/admission ... -etcetera/) there were some acceptances btwn Christmas and January, so we'll see. But then again in previous years people got accepted before Christmas and that hasn't happened this year. I hope someone will get accepted before January, or that at least Dean Deal will update her blog and let us know when we should expect acceptances.


Why is TLS thought of as the population size for Stanford admittances? Is it so crazy to think people have been accepted that aren't on TLS OR LSN?

User avatar
LSATSCORES2012
Posts: 770
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:12 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:48 am

Last year 19 LSN applicants reported being admitted in December. Let's round to 25, because surely more people posted about it on twitter, TLS, and LSN combined than on LSN alone. For the 2010-2011 cycle, 379 people were admitted to Stanford, and 70 of those reported in on LSN. Let's bump that up to 100, including an estimated TLS and Twitter population. That means that we could expect about a quarter of people admitted to Stanford to report in one form or another that they had been admitted. So, for any given applicant there is around a 75% chance that they won't.

Now, the chance of 25 people admitted in December not reporting that they had been accepted, then, is .75^25, which is 0.07%. Statistically, we would expect someone to report that they had been accepted if acceptances had started going out (unless, of course, Stanford only admitted an insignificant amount of people).

User avatar
spicyyoda17
Posts: 320
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:02 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby spicyyoda17 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:54 am

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:Last year 19 LSN applicants reported being admitted in December. Let's round to 25, because surely more people posted about it on twitter, TLS, and LSN combined than on LSN alone. For the 2010-2011 cycle, 379 people were admitted to Stanford, and 70 of those reported in on LSN. Let's bump that up to 100, including an estimated TLS and Twitter population. That means that we could expect about a quarter of people admitted to Stanford to report in one form or another that they had been admitted. So, for any given applicant there is around a 75% chance that they won't.

Now, the chance of 25 people admitted in December not reporting that they had been accepted, then, is .75^25, which is 0.07%. Statistically, we would expect someone to report that they had been accepted if acceptances had started going out (unless, of course, Stanford only admitted an insignificant amount of people).


Let's also remember that Dean Deal has established a pattern of blogging about making acceptance calls right before they are to begin. No such blog has occurred this cycle as of yet.

User avatar
Teflon_Don
Posts: 474
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:04 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby Teflon_Don » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:09 am

spicyyoda17 wrote:
LSATSCORES2012 wrote:Last year 19 LSN applicants reported being admitted in December. Let's round to 25, because surely more people posted about it on twitter, TLS, and LSN combined than on LSN alone. For the 2010-2011 cycle, 379 people were admitted to Stanford, and 70 of those reported in on LSN. Let's bump that up to 100, including an estimated TLS and Twitter population. That means that we could expect about a quarter of people admitted to Stanford to report in one form or another that they had been admitted. So, for any given applicant there is around a 75% chance that they won't.

Now, the chance of 25 people admitted in December not reporting that they had been accepted, then, is .75^25, which is 0.07%. Statistically, we would expect someone to report that they had been accepted if acceptances had started going out (unless, of course, Stanford only admitted an insignificant amount of people).


Let's also remember that Dean Deal has established a pattern of blogging about making acceptance calls right before they are to begin. No such blog has occurred this cycle as of yet.


They basically have 2 days to make those decisions before new years holiday. Were most of the people above medians or what?

User avatar
Mdenis1
Posts: 356
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:06 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby Mdenis1 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:47 pm

Yukos wrote:"Can't fix status checkers until we finish reading all the 'why is my status checker not working' emails."


:lol:

User avatar
sean21
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:45 am

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby sean21 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:50 am

Stanford Law tweet says they're closed until Jan 7. Not sure if that applies to admissions too.

KTG
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:41 am

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby KTG » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:59 am

sean21 wrote:Stanford Law tweet says they're closed until Jan 7. Not sure if that applies to admissions too.


In previous years' posts they've stayed open over break (not doing anything on actual holidays, but in and out throughout winter closure).

User avatar
uconjak
Posts: 357
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:20 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby uconjak » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:35 pm

Didn't do as well on the Dec. test. better than June got a 167 w/3.85 GPA. One of my LOR is a YLS grad. wants me to try for YALE and Stanford anyway. V Good Softs, great Letters of LOR and chance in hell on getting accepted to Stanford? NON-URM. Thoughts anyone? I will probably apply anyway....what the hell, he told me He didn't know why he made the grade at Yale.....he said it is all like winning the lottery.

Anonymous4444
Posts: 631
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:41 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby Anonymous4444 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:06 am

Only one way to know for sure. Send out the app and pray to your deity good luck

User avatar
RSterling
Posts: 358
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:27 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby RSterling » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:21 pm

uconjak wrote:Didn't do as well on the Dec. test. better than June got a 167 w/3.85 GPA. One of my LOR is a YLS grad. wants me to try for YALE and Stanford anyway. V Good Softs, great Letters of LOR and chance in hell on getting accepted to Stanford? NON-URM. Thoughts anyone? I will probably apply anyway....what the hell, he told me He didn't know why he made the grade at Yale.....he said it is all like winning the lottery.


http://myLSN.info/44flww

It doesn't look good for you, but hey, if you've got the money then you might as well give it a shot.

User avatar
RSterling
Posts: 358
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:27 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby RSterling » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:53 pm

Just got a call from a Palo Alto area code.

...

It was a wrong number. I live nowhere near Palo Alto and have no connections there. I almost threw my phone out the window.


It Stanford trolling me?

User avatar
helix23
Posts: 1807
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby helix23 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:55 pm

RSterling wrote:Just got a call from a Palo Alto area code.

...

It was a wrong number. I live nowhere near Palo Alto and have no connections there. I almost threw my phone out the window.


It Stanford trolling me?


It was a test. I guess you failed :|

User avatar
spicyyoda17
Posts: 320
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:02 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby spicyyoda17 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:30 pm

I think we need a little bit more over-zealous and irresponsible speculation on this thread. I have woken up the past two mornings thinking, "Today it shall begin!" But alas, it is not so.

Is next week THE week?

User avatar
RSterling
Posts: 358
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:27 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby RSterling » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:38 pm

spicyyoda17 wrote:I think we need a little bit more over-zealous and irresponsible speculation on this thread. I have woken up the past two mornings thinking, "Today it shall begin!" But alas, it is not so.

Is next week THE week?


I like to think there's still hope for this week. It's lunchtime on the westcoast right now. The silence is pretty strange though, so who even knows. Maybe they'll just send one big blast of e-mails on May 1st to everyone. But yes, a little more unfounded speculation would at least help pass the time.

User avatar
helix23
Posts: 1807
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby helix23 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:41 pm

Image

look at dat Jan-1 spike.

HERE THEY COME

User avatar
spicyyoda17
Posts: 320
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:02 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby spicyyoda17 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:48 pm

Yes! Last year there was a big wave on the W-TH-FR following the holiday.

But unless something happens today, maybe the Dean will wait until a new week to go wild with the admits.

And go wild I hope she does . . .

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby sinfiery » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:52 pm

I find it much harder to be neurotic about waiting for Stanford to get back to me because I can't just mindlessly refresh a status update page expecting a change.

I feel bad, because they deserve so much more.

User avatar
Teflon_Don
Posts: 474
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:04 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby Teflon_Don » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:53 pm

sinfiery wrote:I find it much harder to be neurotic about waiting for Stanford to get back to me because I can't just mindlessly refresh a status update page expecting a change.

I feel bad, because they deserve so much more.


I feel EXACTLY the same way. No clue what's going on with Stanford except that they have my application, ha.

User avatar
spicyyoda17
Posts: 320
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:02 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby spicyyoda17 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:55 pm

sinfiery wrote:I find it much harder to be neurotic about waiting for Stanford to get back to me because I can't just mindlessly refresh a status update page expecting a change.

I feel bad, because they deserve so much more.


I guess for consolation you could just refresh Dean Deal's blog? She usually posts a blog right before making the initial admit calls.

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby sinfiery » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:00 pm

spicyyoda17 wrote:I guess for consolation you could just refresh Dean Deal's blog? She usually posts a blog right before making the initial admit calls.


Maybe if I felt more confident in my ability to get into SLS, I could do that :P

User avatar
bluecouch
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:53 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby bluecouch » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:04 pm

sinfiery wrote:
spicyyoda17 wrote:I guess for consolation you could just refresh Dean Deal's blog? She usually posts a blog right before making the initial admit calls.


Maybe if I felt more confident in my ability to get into SLS, I could do that :P


I don't let that hold me back!

User avatar
helix23
Posts: 1807
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby helix23 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:22 pm

tomorrow is the big day

hannahk
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:21 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby hannahk » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:57 pm

helix23 wrote:tomorrow is the big day


I like your thinking. Why do you say so?

I was hoping they were waiting until after the Rose Bowl but it's been two days...

User avatar
helix23
Posts: 1807
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby helix23 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:15 pm

hannahk wrote:
helix23 wrote:tomorrow is the big day


I like your thinking. Why do you say so?

I was hoping they were waiting until after the Rose Bowl but it's been two days...


just fueling the speculation :D

User avatar
uconjak
Posts: 357
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:20 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby uconjak » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:03 pm

Monday is the day.....here comes the bunny




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: andpeggy, Baby Gaga, bloomsday, lawnerd87, piesandcookies, ThorB, zihua and 12 guests