Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Big Dog
Posts: 1191
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby Big Dog » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:29 pm

I am going to start a little rant on the thread. Most Top law schools (T-14's), tend to like top rank UG schools.


No need to rant, Jack. Academics are prestige hounds; that is particularly true for professional schools. Unfortunately, that is just something TLS is unwilling to accept. (For evidence, go look up all of those posts on TLS where someone has a "strange" cycle -- and voila, we often find a high GPA from a directional state U.)

There's been a claim by myself and others that the top is harder to get and the bottom is easier to avoid at schools like Chicago, Princeton, etc., and I see nothing to contradict that.


Are you really suggesting that the great Chicago masses earn B's, and that A's and C's are rare? (Does that make sense to you?)

"Harder" than what? Brown? well, of course! (what college isnt")

But harder than the other highly ranked private school? I doubt it. Take a Frosh science course, for example. What are the % of A's (and A's) in Frosh Chem? What about B's? Then, same question for a lit major?
Last edited by Big Dog on Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
bernaldiaz
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:51 am

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby bernaldiaz » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:32 pm

Big Dog wrote:
My top-10/faux-ivy/whatever you want to call it (okay, it's Chicago) is notorious for fighting grade inflation, so GPAs above 3.6/3.7 are really an accomplishment.


sorry to burst your (faux) rigor bubble, but Chicago's mean GPA (3.35) is not much lower than Northwestern's (3.4); indeed, it is right about the mean of many private colleges.

But carry-on.


Also the idea that students at ivies would get 4.0 at other schools who only get 3.6 or 3.7s is a little ridiculous, depending on what schools we're talking about. If you think there's much of a difference between the students at Penn, Dartmouth, and Cornell and Hopkins, Notre Dame, Wesleyan, etc. you're way off base. Maybe the 3.6-3.7s would get 4.0s at their directional state school, but I think it's crazy to think that Ivies should get a GPA bump over the other top 20-25 schools in the countries.

User avatar
ssanonymous
Posts: 513
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby ssanonymous » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:35 pm

On all the convo about low income students, you don't really need to cite stuff when it's common knowledge. I'm sure there's a fair amount of stats to back it up - --LinkRemoved--
Last edited by ssanonymous on Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ssanonymous
Posts: 513
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby ssanonymous » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:37 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:
Big Dog wrote:
My top-10/faux-ivy/whatever you want to call it (okay, it's Chicago) is notorious for fighting grade inflation, so GPAs above 3.6/3.7 are really an accomplishment.


sorry to burst your (faux) rigor bubble, but Chicago's mean GPA (3.35) is not much lower than Northwestern's (3.4); indeed, it is right about the mean of many private colleges.

But carry-on.


Also the idea that students at ivies would get 4.0 at other schools who only get 3.6 or 3.7s is a little ridiculous, depending on what schools we're talking about. If you think there's much of a difference between the students at Penn, Dartmouth, and Cornell and Hopkins, Notre Dame, Wesleyan, etc. you're way off base. Maybe the 3.6-3.7s would get 4.0s at their directional state school, but I think it's crazy to think that Ivies should get a GPA bump over the other top 20-25 schools in the countries.


I think that's what we're saying though. I'd lump in all those schools with elite colleges/ivies. Basically it's elite school vs. non-elite school.


Matrim - it's over. A WL is basically a ding. Start day drinking and watching project runway on Hulu. That's what I'm doing instead of my massive amount of hw.

User avatar
LSATSCORES2012
Posts: 770
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:12 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:45 pm

stahppp

unless you're stanford.

if you're stanford,

Image

User avatar
ssanonymous
Posts: 513
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby ssanonymous » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:47 pm

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:stahppp

unless you're stanford.

if you're stanford,

Image


But SLS DID tell someone over the phone that they made final decisions this morning. :/

User avatar
LSATSCORES2012
Posts: 770
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:12 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:47 pm

ssanonymous wrote:
LSATSCORES2012 wrote:stahppp

unless you're stanford.

if you're stanford,

Image


But SLS DID tell someone over the phone that they made final decisions this morning. :/

:cry:

User avatar
beepboopbeep
Posts: 1230
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby beepboopbeep » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:48 pm

ssanonymous wrote:
But SLS DID tell someone over the phone that they made final decisions this morning. :/


AM I THE ONLY ONE WHOSE EMAIL ADDRESS IS STILL CAPITALIZED LIKE THIS

User avatar
ssanonymous
Posts: 513
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby ssanonymous » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:49 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
ssanonymous wrote:
But SLS DID tell someone over the phone that they made final decisions this morning. :/


AM I THE ONLY ONE WHOSE EMAIL ADDRESS IS STILL CAPITALIZED LIKE THIS


hahaha, you're not alone.

matrim
Posts: 106
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:21 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby matrim » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:51 pm

ssanonymous wrote:
LSATSCORES2012 wrote:stahppp



But SLS DID tell someone over the phone that they made final decisions this morning. :/

WHAT?!? I missed this ssanonymous, who did they tell, any details?

User avatar
ssanonymous
Posts: 513
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby ssanonymous » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:52 pm

clouded.memory wrote:Haha, it wasn't too much to type, so I thought, why not? Lol.

But thanks so much, all! I am in such shock right now! And for those that are curious, they told me on the phone that they just finished up their final review last night and are rushing to call people before ASW. So, I hope that adds to the pot of knowledge on here! Now, off to call my folks!


This.

User avatar
RSterling
Posts: 358
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:27 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby RSterling » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:54 pm

matrim wrote:
ssanonymous wrote:
LSATSCORES2012 wrote:stahppp



But SLS DID tell someone over the phone that they made final decisions this morning. :/

WHAT?!? I missed this ssanonymous, who did they tell, any details?


I'm pretty sure it was something along the lines of their "final review" what done today, and that they were trying to get decisions out before ASW. There might be some more movement the rest of the week, but I'd say if you're not in by the end of the week, there's not much hope for an outright admit.

User avatar
LSATSCORES2012
Posts: 770
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:12 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:57 pm

I'm optimistically taking this to have meant "we made some final decisions yesterday".

I called and they said they are still making decisions through April 30. But that could just be a line.
Last edited by LSATSCORES2012 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ssanonymous
Posts: 513
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby ssanonymous » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:58 pm

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:I'm taking this to have meant "we made some final decisions yesterday".

I called and they said they are still making decisions through April 30. But that could just be a line.


Is that hope I feel? Ah, yes. Yes, it is.

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby sinfiery » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:04 pm

yeah, decisions between wl and ding






sorry, first thought I had :(

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:04 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:
Big Dog wrote:
My top-10/faux-ivy/whatever you want to call it (okay, it's Chicago) is notorious for fighting grade inflation, so GPAs above 3.6/3.7 are really an accomplishment.


sorry to burst your (faux) rigor bubble, but Chicago's mean GPA (3.35) is not much lower than Northwestern's (3.4); indeed, it is right about the mean of many private colleges.

But carry-on.


Also the idea that students at ivies would get 4.0 at other schools who only get 3.6 or 3.7s is a little ridiculous, depending on what schools we're talking about. If you think there's much of a difference between the students at Penn, Dartmouth, and Cornell and Hopkins, Notre Dame, Wesleyan, etc. you're way off base. Maybe the 3.6-3.7s would get 4.0s at their directional state school, but I think it's crazy to think that Ivies should get a GPA bump over the other top 20-25 schools in the countries.



Of course: "Ivy" is a college sports league. I think on tls we are just using it to mean top selective universities and liberal arts colleges.

angflos
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 9:22 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby angflos » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:07 pm

ssanonymous wrote:
But SLS DID tell someone over the phone that they made final decisions this morning. :/


I took that as final decision for that applicant, but perhaps I am being overly optimistic.

I was trying to keep this under wraps, but my sister babysat yesterday for a dean at YLS who said Dean Deal is behind this year and acceptances will be until the end of this week. Little bit of he said she said, but whatever.

User avatar
ssanonymous
Posts: 513
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby ssanonymous » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:08 pm

sinfiery wrote:yeah, decisions between wl and ding






sorry, first thought I had :(


Ah, this is very true. I mean, why would Dean Deal say that to someone over the phone if it wasn't true? It sounds like they accepted a lot of people today and there weren't many spots left to begin with.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:10 pm

I'm actually hoping they WL/ding the remainders before this weekend, then we'll know whether there's a sliver of hope for the next couple months or just done.

angflos
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 9:22 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby angflos » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:11 pm

If you read my post above, I think there might still be more spots than people think, at least based on what a dean at YLS told my sister yesterday. Not saying there's a lot of spots, but I don't think we're all done yet.

If we are, then fuck it, who's coming to Columbia with me?

User avatar
ssanonymous
Posts: 513
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby ssanonymous » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:13 pm

angflos wrote:If you read my post above, I think there might still be more spots than people think, at least based on what a dean at YLS told my sister yesterday. Not saying there's a lot of spots, but I don't think we're all done yet.

If we are, then fuck it, who's coming to Columbia with me?


But if they made decisions last night/this morning, wouldn't that make up for the remainder of seats?

And no CLS for me. I just withdrew from the WL. Now I'm trying to decide between free Berkeley vs. year off and reapplying. :/

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:19 pm

ssanonymous wrote:
angflos wrote:If you read my post above, I think there might still be more spots than people think, at least based on what a dean at YLS told my sister yesterday. Not saying there's a lot of spots, but I don't think we're all done yet.

If we are, then fuck it, who's coming to Columbia with me?


But if they made decisions last night/this morning, wouldn't that make up for the remainder of seats?

And no CLS for me. I just withdrew from the WL. Now I'm trying to decide between free Berkeley vs. year off and reapplying. :/


can't believe you got that much at cal. I would definitely take it!

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:19 pm

angflos wrote:If you read my post above, I think there might still be more spots than people think, at least based on what a dean at YLS told my sister yesterday. Not saying there's a lot of spots, but I don't think we're all done yet.

If we are, then fuck it, who's coming to Columbia with me?


lol if no stanford i might be at columbia w/ you although i haven't heard back about grants.

User avatar
ssanonymous
Posts: 513
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby ssanonymous » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:22 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
ssanonymous wrote:
angflos wrote:If you read my post above, I think there might still be more spots than people think, at least based on what a dean at YLS told my sister yesterday. Not saying there's a lot of spots, but I don't think we're all done yet.

If we are, then fuck it, who's coming to Columbia with me?


But if they made decisions last night/this morning, wouldn't that make up for the remainder of seats?

And no CLS for me. I just withdrew from the WL. Now I'm trying to decide between free Berkeley vs. year off and reapplying. :/


can't believe you got that much at cal. I would definitely take it!


It's a fair amount from Cal, but I'm also bringing in a fair amount of outside scholarships which makes it free. But those scholarships would also make HYS very affordable too. I think most people who end up going to HYS turn down full rides from T-14 schools, so I don't think that's out of the ordinary, and I think most people feel it's worth it. I just... really want to try again. I know I'll have a much better shot with a higher LSAT score.

jbagelboy, have you visited CLS yet?

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:33 pm

ssanonymous wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
ssanonymous wrote:
angflos wrote:If you read my post above, I think there might still be more spots than people think, at least based on what a dean at YLS told my sister yesterday. Not saying there's a lot of spots, but I don't think we're all done yet.

If we are, then fuck it, who's coming to Columbia with me?


But if they made decisions last night/this morning, wouldn't that make up for the remainder of seats?

And no CLS for me. I just withdrew from the WL. Now I'm trying to decide between free Berkeley vs. year off and reapplying. :/


can't believe you got that much at cal. I would definitely take it!


It's a fair amount from Cal, but I'm also bringing in a fair amount of outside scholarships which makes it free. But those scholarships would also make HYS very affordable too. I think most people who end up going to HYS turn down full rides from T-14 schools, so I don't think that's out of the ordinary, and I think most people feel it's worth it. I just... really want to try again. I know I'll have a much better shot with a higher LSAT score.

jbagelboy, have you visited CLS yet?


I've actually visited CLS twice as an undergrad when I was considering ED'ing two years ago, but I'm attending the "Mondays at Columbia" event later this month as my first visit as an actual prospective student.

yea you mentioned those outside scholarships.. pretty awesome. I agree that hys is worth it over full ride @ most schools, but personally I don't see my chances increasing much by taking another year. I would understand if you retook and tried again though, it does seem like you're so close .. but what do any of us know? lol




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: TecumsehSherman and 14 guests