Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ManOfTheMinute

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:05 pm

carboncopyx wrote:
andreskicdo wrote:No DLS, no lower case. ugh Stanford seriously, seriously. I want it to be over....

Um, yeah, seriously. How long does it take to update the system? If it's over, it's over, I just want to know!

I could say the same thing for YLS :)

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:05 pm

Gratz to all the new admits! Maybe there is a final URM wave and a final non URM wave but with ASW coming this weekend, I'm culling my SLS hopes tomorrow at 5 pm PST. Let the countdown begin.

beepboopbeep wrote:my momparents made 15k-25k for most of my childhood+teenagedom--which is the lowest quintile, albeit barely--but moved up big-time after I left for college, and now she makes 60k. Would I qualify for hypothetical low-SES URM status? to this day as a household

FTFM

doesn't matter though, I had access to the internet at a young age so I blame only myself for my shitty resume

ssanonymous

Postby ssanonymous » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:06 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
ssanonymous wrote:I agree that it's very difficult to standardize admissions to make it fair, but there are groups that are historically underrepresented in higher education which includes those from lower socioeconomic backgrounds and certain ethnic minorities. If you've been reading the NYTimes, there seems to be an article every month or so talking about the barriers those from lower economic backgrounds face when gaining admission to elite colleges. I think this group in particular deserves to be included in the ABA URM report. I know law school admissions officers DO pay attention to economic background, but this group definitely doesn't get a legit URM boost. /2cents

But that's not to say I don't believe law schools should recruit ethnic URMs because most law schools have terrible minority percentages.

I'm very curious about this topic - I was raised in a low SES household by a single mother, and ended up at an elite undergrad. Now I'm here. I've outperformed my numbers a bit, and I wonder how much of that is the fact that part of my PS focused on my background.

I'd agree it should be considered URM--I felt like an alien every day at my historically-rich college--but it's not quite as easy to quantify as race (despite the fact there are actual numbers attached). Most people consider themselves lower on the totem pole than they are; they can't be trusted to tick a "low SES" box on an application. If your parents make 100k+, you are in the wealthiest quintile, but those people consider themselves middle-class. People around the median income consider themselves lower-middle-class. And it varies depending on age; my mom made 15k-25k for most of my childhood--which is the lowest quintile, albeit barely--but moved up big-time after I left for college, and now she makes 60k. Would I qualify for hypothetical low-SES URM status?

Back on topic: congrats, all who've gotten calls today. Still waiting here. Complete late Dec, UR since mid-Jan.

I think Berkeley (where AA is illegal) asks about the education background of your parents and the income level of your family while growing up. I think those two factors are huge in determining one's overall success in life. I mean, it shouldn't be a shocker when JD parents have kids going to law schools. I know it's harder to quantify, but this is a real issue in higher education, and there needs to be some way to bridge the gap. I know my undergrad (an elite college) considers low income students as URMs and understands that those students may have less than stellar SAT scores because they couldn't afford the prep. They also recognize that those student may go to HS that didn't have as many resources as their Harvard-Westlake counterparts, so AP scores might be rare. But, who knows, maybe these law schools are paying attention to these kinds of details... well, at least SLS, YLS, and Berkeley.

bob loblaw11

Postby bob loblaw11 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:07 pm

That awkward moment when you're an URM and your email remains unchanged. :lol:

Congrats everyone!!! And especially to Clouded for TLSing your acceptance, ha.

EDIT: typo. Sigh. And this is why SLS is right about me.
Last edited by bob loblaw11 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ssanonymous

Postby ssanonymous » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:09 pm

sinfiery wrote:Gratz to all the new admits! Maybe there is a final URM wave and a final non URM wave but with ASW coming this weekend, I'm culling my SLS hopes tomorrow at 5 pm PST. Let the countdown begin.

beepboopbeep wrote:my momparents made 15k-25k for most of my childhood+teenagedom--which is the lowest quintile, albeit barely--but moved up big-time after I left for college, and now she makes 60k. Would I qualify for hypothetical low-SES URM status? to this day as a household

FTFM

doesn't matter though, I had access to the internet at a young age so I blame only myself for my shitty resume

Props to you but that's not the norm - http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/17/educa ... share&_r=0

I'd have nothing on my resume besides waitressing if it weren't for my college providing summer grants for unpaid internships. Internet does not = pretty things for a resume.
Last edited by ssanonymous on Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ssanonymous

Postby ssanonymous » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:10 pm

bob loblaw11 wrote:That awkward moment when you're an URM and your email remains unchanged. :lol:

Congrats everyone!!! And espeically to Clouded for TLSing your acceptance, ha.

oh boo but HLS ain't too bad! Grats on that

bob loblaw11

Postby bob loblaw11 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:16 pm

Thanks ssanonymous, I've been fortunate. And good luck to you!

ssanonymous

Postby ssanonymous » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:29 pm

I wish SLS would post on their twitter that no more offers are going out.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:31 pm

ssanonymous wrote:I wish SLS would post on their twitter that no more offers are going out.

me too.. but i doubt thats the kind of thing they post. aren't most twitter posts/anything related to the LS admin budget focused towards actual potential students?

ssanonymous

Postby ssanonymous » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:32 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
ssanonymous wrote:I wish SLS would post on their twitter that no more offers are going out.

me too.. but i doubt thats the kind of thing they post. aren't most twitter posts/anything related to the LS admin budget focused towards actual potential students?

True. maybe one of us can call... not it!

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:33 pm

It's like 12:30 there - us CST/ESTers will be waiting well into the evening, methinks.

That NYT article was good. I agree with them the problem is largely a lack of information - friends of mine who were equally smart ended up at shit local colleges for more money than I paid, because they equated prestigious with expensive.

HankBashir

Postby HankBashir » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:35 pm

Just looked at my status checker. Both my e-mails are now lowercase but my status still reads "Your file has been submitted for review - 1/30"

Also, don't give up hope yet. While a majority of the offers will probably be out by tomorrow (Friday is just Minority Preview Day, full ASW starts Saturday), there'll probably be some post-ASW admits as well.

BalanceCare

Postby BalanceCare » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:36 pm

ssanonymous wrote:I think Berkeley (where AA is illegal) asks about the education background of your parents and the income level of your family while growing up.

I didn't end up applying to Berkeley but I checked out their financial aid application or that part of it at least and I was pretty impressed by the questions it asked. Things like "what percentage of your high school class went to college," etc; multiple quantifiable factors that actually correlate pretty well with socioeconomic status (and to some degree with race & ethnicity).

The whole LS process would be more fair if all schools used something like that, I think.
Last edited by BalanceCare on Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NavyOfficer23

Postby NavyOfficer23 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:38 pm

Just changed to DLS today. No phone call, so that means denied I assume. It's fine, I've had a deposit in elsewhere since January, you know, when reasonable law schools give their decisions...

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:40 pm

HankBashir wrote:both my e-mails are now lowercase

This has to be my favorite thing about the Stanford status check neuroticism, over any other school's: the close scrutiny applied to email capitalization.

That having been said: motherfucker. I want MINE to go lowercase. Did this just happen today or have you not checked in a while?

ssanonymous

Postby ssanonymous » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:43 pm

BalanceCare wrote:
ssanonymous wrote:I think Berkeley (where AA is illegal) asks about the education background of your parents and the income level of your family while growing up.

I didn't end up applying to Berkeley but I checked out their financial aid application or that part of it at least and I was pretty impressed by the questions it asked. Things like "what percentage of your high school class went to college," etc; multiple quantifiable factors that actually correlate pretty well with socioeconomic status (and to some degree with race ethnicity).

The whole LS process would be more fair if all schools used something like that, I think.

I mean, I think they should add it to the process and not totally replace what they have going with URMs because there is VERY LITTLE racial diversity in top law schools. I used to judge the percentages from my undergrad until I saw the law school stats. Law in general is still a very elite, white, male institution.

NavyOfficer23 wrote:Just changed to DLS today. No phone call, so that means denied I assume. It's fine, I've had a deposit in elsewhere since January, you know, when reasonable law schools give their decisions...

sorry to hear! I'll be joining you soon.

Cicero76

Postby Cicero76 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:43 pm

Stanford has pretty much eliminated itself from consideration now... I wish they had just dinged me months ago. At this point, with Yale's deposit deadline on May 3, there's just not time for me to visit SLS and seriously consider them even if they do admit me :/

ssanonymous

Postby ssanonymous » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:45 pm

Cicero76 wrote:Stanford has pretty much eliminated itself from consideration now... I wish they had just dinged me months ago. At this point, with Yale's deposit deadline on May 3, there's just not time for me to visit SLS and seriously consider them even if they do admit me :/

Have you been to YLS? It's awesome and you don't have grades your first semester. Enjoy! You'll have a blast.

volp

Postby volp » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:45 pm

Last edited by volp on Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ssanonymous

Postby ssanonymous » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:46 pm

volp wrote:IN!!!

i'm numb. got the call during class

Grats! info? And it DEFINITELY seems like the last wave. Way too many acceptances in one day for SLS.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:47 pm

volp wrote:IN!!!

i'm numb. got the call during class

Gratz!

K-jd, 3.66, 168 since its buried in my post history

You guys said I would but I didn't believe you!!!

So URM or not?

jychun412

Postby jychun412 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:47 pm

Congrats new admits! :)
Any September complete admits?

HankBashir

Postby HankBashir » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:48 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
HankBashir wrote:both my e-mails are now lowercase

This has to be my favorite thing about the Stanford status check neuroticism, over any other school's: the close scrutiny applied to email capitalization.

That having been said: motherfucker. I want MINE to go lowercase. Did this just happen today or have you not checked in a while?

It had to have changed today. I checked it at midnight central time and they were both still uppercase.

chacheezy

Postby chacheezy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:49 pm

as the phone call from a blocked number?

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:50 pm

HankBashir wrote:It had to have changed today. I checked it at midnight central time and they were both still uppercase.

Because of people like you, I've checked so many times today it's making me do a captcha.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”