Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
smdpnp

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby smdpnp » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:31 pm

Nope.
Last edited by smdpnp on Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whereskyle

Postby whereskyle » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:32 pm

smdpnp wrote:
chickpea wrote:
puppiespaws wrote:Does anyone know if Stanford does a wave of DLS, or are they, keeping with the theme I guess, more sporadic? I'm safe for right now, but I was just about to write up my LoCI and send it through. Think I should wait until the end of today? SHIT'S STRESSFUL, waiting to die, man lol.

I feel like they send DLS's pretty sporadically rather than in big waves.

There will be waves of WLs and dings in the next two weeks.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

HankBashir

Postby HankBashir » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:33 pm

JUST GOT THE CALL, I'M IN. My e-mail didnt' go lower case last night, haven't checked it today yet (I only check before bed)

bluecouch

Postby bluecouch » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:34 pm

HankBashir wrote:JUST GOT THE CALL, I'M IN. My e-mail didnt' go lower case last night, haven't checked it today yet (I only check before bed)

Yay! Congrats!

clouded.memory

Postby clouded.memory » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:35 pm

Haha, it wasn't too much to type, so I thought, why not? Lol.

But thanks so much, all! I am in such shock right now! And for those that are curious, they told me on the phone that they just finished up their final review last night and are rushing to call people before ASW. So, I hope that adds to the pot of knowledge on here! Now, off to call my folks!

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:35 pm

URM wave

Lagunitan

Postby Lagunitan » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:36 pm

clouded.memory wrote:Haha, it wasn't too much to type, so I thought, why not? Lol.

But thanks so much, all! I am in such shock right now! And for those that are curious, they told me on the phone that they just finished up their final review last night and are rushing to call people before ASW. So, I hope that adds to the pot of knowledge on here! Now, off to call my folks!

Welp, so much for that LOCI I sent this morning. : /

chickpea

Postby chickpea » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:36 pm

HankBashir wrote:JUST GOT THE CALL, I'M IN. My e-mail didnt' go lower case last night, haven't checked it today yet (I only check before bed)

Congrats!!

smdpnp

Postby smdpnp » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:37 pm

Nope.
Last edited by smdpnp on Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ssanonymous

Postby ssanonymous » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:38 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
ssanonymous wrote:Random: I think law schools need to acknowledge those from low income backgrounds should be considered URMs. There's not much socio-economic diversity in these top schools.

there are countless elements of law school admissions that are objectively unbalanced.. diversity is judged by how it is quantified in rankings, just like undergraduate gpas, which vary tremendously in rigor and significance. its a game you play with the cards handed to you -- if you overcame economic obstacles, that could work in your favor by checking off one box, but it will remain a different box from the diversity %'s listed in magazines and ABA reports.

I don't even think we could restandardize admissions to make them more "fair" no matter what was tried

I agree that it's very difficult to standardize admissions to make it fair, but there are groups that are historically underrepresented in higher education which includes those from lower socioeconomic backgrounds and certain ethnic minorities. If you've been reading the NYTimes, there seems to be an article every month or so talking about the barriers those from lower economic backgrounds face when gaining admission to elite colleges. I think this group in particular deserves to be included in the ABA URM report. I know law school admissions officers DO pay attention to economic background, but this group definitely doesn't get a legit URM boost. /2cents

But that's not to say I don't believe law schools should recruit ethnic URMs because most law schools have terrible minority percentages.

anthony1027

Postby anthony1027 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:41 pm

clouded.memory wrote:Haha, it wasn't too much to type, so I thought, why not? Lol.

...and that's the game

ssanonymous

Postby ssanonymous » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:41 pm

smdpnp wrote:
clouded.memory wrote:And for those that are curious, they told me on the phone that they just finished up their final review last night and are rushing to call people before ASW. So, I hope that adds to the pot of knowledge on here! Now, off to call my folks!

Game over, QQ.

FML! Grats all!

Lighthouseman

Postby Lighthouseman » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:41 pm

GOT THE CALL!!!!!!!!!!!

chickpea

Postby chickpea » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:42 pm

Lighthouseman wrote:GOT THE CALL!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats!!

chickpea

Postby chickpea » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:43 pm

anthony1027 wrote:

...and that's the game

game...set....match.... you win, S.

anthony1027

Postby anthony1027 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:43 pm

It was a good run

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:45 pm

gg. congrats to the final admits! I can operate under the assumption that my cycle is complete

puppiespaws

Postby puppiespaws » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:45 pm

Congrats, you guys! I don't even think I'd be able to answer my phone, so kudos to you lol.

Well, if the ~final review is over with, should I even bother with an LoCI at this point? Because I could very easily continue to eat the rest of the sandwich for the time being instead, I mean.

smdpnp

Postby smdpnp » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:47 pm

puppiespaws wrote:Congrats, you guys! I don't even think I'd be able to answer my phone, so kudos to you lol.

Well, if the ~final review is over with, should I even bother with an LoCI at this point? Because I could very easily continue to eat the rest of the sandwich for the time being instead, I mean.

Enjoy the sandwich. Send the LOCI later this week.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:47 pm

puppiespaws wrote:Congrats, you guys! I don't even think I'd be able to answer my phone, so kudos to you lol.

I figure at this point they've decided if you are WL or ding. If I am WL, I will send an LOCI immediately when I find out. if ding, no point.

anthony1027

Postby anthony1027 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:49 pm

jbagelboy wrote:

I figure at this point they've decided if you are WL or ding. If I am WL, I will send an LOCI immediately when I find out. if ding, no point.

same

andreskicdo

Postby andreskicdo » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:50 pm

No DLS, no lower case. ugh Stanford seriously, seriously. I want it to be over....

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:54 pm

ssanonymous wrote:I agree that it's very difficult to standardize admissions to make it fair, but there are groups that are historically underrepresented in higher education which includes those from lower socioeconomic backgrounds and certain ethnic minorities. If you've been reading the NYTimes, there seems to be an article every month or so talking about the barriers those from lower economic backgrounds face when gaining admission to elite colleges. I think this group in particular deserves to be included in the ABA URM report. I know law school admissions officers DO pay attention to economic background, but this group definitely doesn't get a legit URM boost. /2cents

But that's not to say I don't believe law schools should recruit ethnic URMs because most law schools have terrible minority percentages.

I'm very curious about this topic - I was raised in a low SES household by a single mother, and ended up at an elite undergrad. Now I'm here. I've outperformed my numbers a bit, and I wonder how much of that is the fact that part of my PS focused on my background.

I'd agree it should be considered URM--I felt like an alien every day at my historically-rich college--but it's not quite as easy to quantify as race (despite the fact there are actual numbers attached). Most people consider themselves lower on the totem pole than they are; they can't be trusted to tick a "low SES" box on an application. If your parents make 100k+, you are in the wealthiest quintile, but those people consider themselves middle-class. People around the median income consider themselves lower-middle-class. And it varies depending on age; my mom made 15k-25k for most of my childhood+teenagedom--which is the lowest quintile, albeit barely--but moved up big-time after I left for college, and now she makes 60k. Would I qualify for hypothetical low-SES URM status?

Back on topic: congrats, all who've gotten calls today. Still waiting here. Complete late Dec, UR since mid-Jan.

edited because grammar.
Last edited by beepboopbeep on Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LSATSCORES2012

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:58 pm

FYI, last year there was a DLS wave the evening of the URM wave.

Ready for this to end, I guess... :?

carboncopyx

Postby carboncopyx » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:02 pm

andreskicdo wrote:No DLS, no lower case. ugh Stanford seriously, seriously. I want it to be over....

Um, yeah, seriously. How long does it take to update the system? If it's over, it's over, I just want to know!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”