Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sinfiery

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby sinfiery » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:55 pm

Yeah, everytime I look at HYS admits on LSN who actually list their softs I wonder why I'm even applying.

dnptan

Postby dnptan » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:59 pm

whereskyle wrote:
anthony1027 wrote:Fingers crossed for a URM wave.

holy sh*t do those softs look good.

+1. Much respect to Eagle Scouts. GPA - check; Softs - check.

How the hell were you rejected from Harvard? LSAT? Good thing Stanford is generally known to be more holistic.

carboncopyx

Postby carboncopyx » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:02 pm

sinfiery wrote:Yeah, everytime I look at HYS admits on LSN who actually list their softs I wonder why I'm even applying.

And they don't even think their softs are that good... the distortion in perception is cray.

digifly

Postby digifly » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:03 pm

sinfiery wrote:Yeah, everytime I look at HYS admits on LSN who actually list their softs I wonder why I'm even applying.

Yup.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:04 pm

carboncopyx wrote:And they don't even think their softs are that good... the distortion in perception is cray.

Haha, yep. Though I'm sure TLS is in part to blame for that.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:08 pm

whatever happened to appreciation for the simple grace of being marginally above average?

people are trying too hard at life these days for real

dnptan

Postby dnptan » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:09 pm

To make our dream schools' yields look sexier.

matrim

Postby matrim » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:13 pm

Can someone seriously explain to me why at this point we dont have an answer? Acceptance, DLS, WL... I would love to go to SLS, I am just a bit confused as to whats going on in the process? Any insight...

Edit..I have received an answer from every school so far, to include berks faculty review & HLS Hold->ding....but not SLS
Last edited by matrim on Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:16 pm

matrim wrote:Can someone seriously explain to me why at this point we dont have an answer? Acceptance, DLS, WL... I would love to go to SLS, I am just a bit confused as to whats going on in the process? Any insight...

Edit..I have received an answer from every school so far, to include berks faculty reviewv& HLS Hold->Ding....but not SLS

same here. in fact, same with most people still trolling this thread. that said, I would wait till Sep 1 for stanford

carboncopyx

Postby carboncopyx » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:19 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
matrim wrote:Can someone seriously explain to me why at this point we dont have an answer? Acceptance, DLS, WL... I would love to go to SLS, I am just a bit confused as to whats going on in the process? Any insight...

Edit..I have received an answer from every school so far, to include berks faculty reviewv& HLS Hold->Ding....but not SLS

same here. in fact, same with most people still trolling this thread. that said, I would wait till Sep 1 for stanford

Ditto. They seem to like to ensure that people's cycles never end. Ever.

matrim

Postby matrim » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:20 pm

jbagelboy wrote:same here. in fact, same with most people still trolling this thread. that said, I would wait till Sep 1 for stanford

I can't wait that long...just not an option
Edit: Dont get me wrong, SLS is my number 1 choice (as I am sure it is for many), but do they really need a year to get a decision out?

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:41 pm

You'll likely hear back by the end of this week/early next week if dinged and by the end of the month if WL. But yeah, I'd totally ride a WL til Sept 1.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:50 pm

matrim wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:same here. in fact, same with most people still trolling this thread. that said, I would wait till Sep 1 for stanford

Edit: Dont get me wrong, SLS is my number 1 choice (as I am sure it is for many), but do they really need a year to get a decision out?

remember its not really 'getting a decision out', its more seeing which better candidates decline the offer first. nearly anyone admitted from now on are not their first choice class, but with a matriculation rate of under 50% they don't get that first choice class. again, I would also be perfectly happy as worst among the accepted students -- sliding right in there under the radar.

mambar

Postby mambar » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:51 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
matrim wrote:

remember its not really 'getting a decision out', its more seeing which better candidates decline the offer first. nearly anyone admitted from now on are not their first choice class, but with a matriculation rate of under 50% they don't get that first choice class. again, I would also be perfectly happy as worst among the accepted students -- sliding right in there under the radar.

haha what a depressing thought :(

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:53 pm

mambar wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
matrim wrote:

haha what a depressing thought :(

I prefer inspiring. in the end, if you get in you are sls class of 2016, if you don't you won't be, and come first day of class it won't make a shit of difference

matrim

Postby matrim » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:55 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
matrim wrote:

I guess thats a valid perspective jbagelboy. And I am with you on flying under the radar. I am older applicant with family and deadlines, so I cant wait until Sept. I just hope this week we close things out. Any chance at Acceptances this week? Looking last year, there seemed to be a final two days of calls, before the end.

dukie4

Postby dukie4 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:20 pm

not sure if I buy this email theory, my email addresses turned lowercase Friday and I have not heard anything. :(
Last edited by dukie4 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:22 pm

dukie4 wrote:not sure if I buys this email theory, my email addresses turned lowercase Friday and I have not heard anything.

Gratz!!!!!!!

never second guess the lowercase theory

You'll probably be getting a call soon

anthony1027

Postby anthony1027 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:26 pm

dnptan wrote:
whereskyle wrote:

How the hell were you rejected from Harvard? LSAT? Good thing Stanford is generally known to be more holistic.

163 on the LSAT. Pretty much screwed me over

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:35 pm

anthony1027 wrote:
dnptan wrote:
whereskyle wrote:

163 on the LSAT. Pretty much screwed me over

your berkeley and nyu offers are amazing. that said, and I'm sure people have told you this before, if you got 170 in june and reapplied you would be yale class of 2017

ssanonymous

Postby ssanonymous » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:42 pm

I'm going to be that guy but the SLS is legit down. I really hope that doesn't mean DLS are going out.

On the topic of softs: The reason applicants aren't wowed by their own softs is because there are Rhodes scholars among us and people who have started their own non-profits at the age of 10 or something. These people exist, and they're all chilling at HYS.
Last edited by ssanonymous on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jselson

Postby jselson » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:45 pm

ssanonymous wrote:I'm going to be that guy but the SLS is legit down. I really hope that doesn't mean DLS are going out.

Not down, but it has been awhile since a website comment.

ssanonymous

Postby ssanonymous » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:47 pm

jselson wrote:
ssanonymous wrote:I'm going to be that guy but the SLS is legit down. I really hope that doesn't mean DLS are going out.

Not down, but it has been awhile since a website comment.

Restarted computer. It worked. Anyway, carry on.
Last edited by ssanonymous on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anthony1027

Postby anthony1027 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:51 pm

On the topic of softs: The reason applicants aren't wowed by their own softs is because there are Rhodes scholars among us and people who have started their own non-profits at the age of 10 or something. These people exist, and they're all chilling at HYS.

Exactly. Nothing like finding out your fellow applicant has a Ph.D. and saved a village in southern Africa from starvation to really make this 20 yr old with "leadership experience" sound impressive.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:00 pm

anthony1027 wrote:

Exactly. Nothing like finding out your fellow applicant has a Ph.D. and saved a village in southern Africa from starvation to really make this 20 yr old with "leadership experience" sound impressive.

I also think younger applicants must keep age in perspective, because law schools certanly do, or else no k-jds would ever get into HYS. for example, I've worked non-stop (summers & during school) from senior year of high school to my post-grad fulltime job now, so I think I've taken advantage of the time I've had. Obviously if I was several years older, I would have done more shit, like extra degrees, more promotions, more volunteer work, ect. As long as you've stayed fruitfully occupied during the time you've been on this earth, you shouldn't feel badly compared to those who have been on it longer

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”