Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bosmer88

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby bosmer88 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:02 pm

Vincent wrote:
matrim wrote:
Vincent wrote:
Lastly, faculty were apparently involved in my application, which drew out the timeline - no idea if this helps any of you, but at least some more insight into the process?

So I am assuming she said something to you during phone call about faculty review? Can you elaborate at all?

Sorry, don't have any more info than what I have posted - it was just a comment. There's no doubt faculty extend the review process. If it's anything like Cal's faculty review process, the faculty would have some discretion over when they would have to return all of their admissions recommendations by.

(11/1 submit; 11/5 complete)

Thanks for the info Vincent.

I have already done the loci and resume update, but I think I might turn in that 3rd lor I have sitting on lsac. I wish it were Stanford specific though.
Last edited by bosmer88 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whereskyle

Postby whereskyle » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:03 pm

Thanks for the complete dates. I'm getting in next week (submitted 11/8). ::knocks on wood::

pn40

Postby pn40 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:58 pm

Huge congrats to everyone who got in!! :D

A quick question - do you think it's too late to send a LOCI? Could it do more harm than good?

Thanks

ssanonymous

Postby ssanonymous » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:09 pm

whereskyle wrote:Thanks for the complete dates. I'm getting in next week (submitted 11/8). ::knocks on wood::

? SLS isn't making decisions based off of complete dates.

statslaw

Postby statslaw » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:04 pm

ssanonymous wrote:? SLS isn't making decisions based off of complete dates.

True. I submitted on 12/19, went complete on 12/21.

Based on my acceptance call yesterday, there was a committee review in the morning where they seem to have made final decisions for some of those silent 'soft holds' people have been referencing throughout the cycle. My thought is that even though they may have liked our files initially, they held us to the end of the cycle in that category so they could compare similar files against each other and see if the numbers would work for their admitted pool. Of course, most of this is purely speculation.

A lot of people advise against the LOCI if nothing substantial has changed since you submitted your application. I think this can be especially good advice for certain schools. I don't know that it necessarily applies to Stanford. I tried to be very strategic in my LOCI timing, content and length. I reviewed my application carefully and used it to bolster the weakest part of my file. I don't know that my LOCI itself would have put anything over the top, but I do think my Stanford specific letter was influential. My hope was that the letter would alleviate any concerns they might have had about my file.

One thing made clear during the phone call is that they're pushing to get the acceptances out before ASW next weekend.

dnptan

Postby dnptan » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:06 pm

Vincent, Vincent, Vincent. You give me so much hope. As a fellow Double STEM major with 170/3.82, for the first time in weeks I feel like I actually have a shot . Do you mind if I ask what your softs are? Either way, congrats on Stanford, and HOPEFULLY I see you there lol *wishful thinking*

Do you mind elaborating what you mean with "faculty were involved..."?

Also to the general TLS public: should I write a LOCI? Submitted 2/1; Complete 2/18

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:02 pm

dnptan wrote:Vincent, Vincent, Vincent. You give me so much hope. As a fellow Double STEM major with 170/3.82, for the first time in weeks I feel like I actually have a shot . Do you mind if I ask what your softs are? Either way, congrats on Stanford, and HOPEFULLY I see you there lol *wishful thinking*

Do you mind elaborating what you mean with "faculty were involved..."?

Also to the general TLS public: should I write a LOCI? Submitted 2/1; Complete 2/18

sounds like LOCI has made a positive contribution to these individuals, and I curse myself for not sending one two weeks ago. I have a creeping suspicion based on the phone convo recently described that all those files not picked out will be hit with DLS monday -- would be embarassing to have the LOCI out the morning you are dinged.

I think I'll wait to see if I survive monday, and maybe submit one monday night.

Goodman

Postby Goodman » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:47 pm

How did you all send in your LOCIs? Did you send them to the Office of Admissions e-mail?

matrim

Postby matrim » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:44 pm

So none of the three admits today were URMs, right?

bosmer88

Postby bosmer88 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:49 am

Goodman wrote:How did you all send in your LOCIs? Did you send them to the Office of Admissions e-mail?

I sent my loci to the general admissions email. It is admissions@law.stanford.edu.

Edit: I noticed my email changed today (Sunday). Both my primary and secondary were lower case, but my primary is now all caps. Did this happen to anyone else?

I'd like to be ecstatic, but it is the opposite of the email trend plus it happened on a Sunday. :? Waitlist maybe?

ssanonymous

Postby ssanonymous » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:42 am

bosmer88 wrote:
Goodman wrote:How did you all send in your LOCIs? Did you send them to the Office of Admissions e-mail?

I sent my loci to the general admissions email. It is admissions@law.stanford.edu.

Edit: I noticed my email changed today (Sunday). Both my primary and secondary were lower case, but my primary is now all caps. Did this happen to anyone else?

I'd like to be ecstatic, but it is the opposite of the email trend plus it happened on a Sunday. :? Waitlist maybe?

It happened to me last week. I think it means your file got updated through LSAC for whatever reason. I sent in my fall grades and the moment they got processed, my email address went uppercase on the SLS website.

bosmer88

Postby bosmer88 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:43 am

ssanonymous wrote:
bosmer88 wrote:

It happened to me last week. I think it means your file got updated through LSAC for whatever reason. I sent in my fall grades and the moment they got processed, my email address went uppercase on the SLS website.

Thanks for the response. Must be the LOR I sent. Well, I can go to bed easier tonight.

chickpea

Postby chickpea » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:04 pm

so this question may already have been answered but do we think that Stanford is pretty much done accepting people this year? I feel like a lot of people still haven't heard back - are we just all going to get waitlisted/rejected?

carboncopyx

Postby carboncopyx » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:07 pm

chickpea wrote:so this question may already have been answered but do we think that Stanford is pretty much done accepting people this year? I feel like a lot of people still haven't heard back - are we just all going to get waitlisted/rejected?

I hope so. I'm so sick of seeing "Your file has been submitted for review."

Anonymous4444

Postby Anonymous4444 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:14 pm

carboncopyx wrote:
chickpea wrote:so this question may already have been answered but do we think that Stanford is pretty much done accepting people this year? I feel like a lot of people still haven't heard back - are we just all going to get waitlisted/rejected?

+a lot

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:15 pm

Anonymous4444 wrote:
carboncopyx wrote:

+a lot

lol. well, I figure its better than "Decision Letter Sent" with no call.

ssanonymous

Postby ssanonymous » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:28 pm

I think Stats made it seem like SLS picked the last batch on Saturday. Now, what's better? A DLS now or a waitlist then a DLS in July?

dnptan

Postby dnptan » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:32 pm

9:30 am in California. Brace yourselves, no decisions are coming.

switchis32

Postby switchis32 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:36 pm

dnptan wrote:9:30 am in California. Brace yourselves, no decisions are coming.

why do you say that?

puppiespaws

Postby puppiespaws » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:41 pm

I told myself if I make it through today with no DLS that I'd think about writing a LoCI. I went complete in January, and really the best possible outcome for me is WL at this point. I figure it couldn't really hurt, but the thing is I don't have any new information to update on. I mean, I could potentially still send in another LoR that I have on file on LSAC which I didn't initially send, bringing me to four LoRs. Too much? I could also talk more specifically about why it's my ~~dream school~~ Think it's worth it for that?

txdude45

Postby txdude45 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:46 pm

puppiespaws wrote:I told myself if I make it through today with no DLS that I'd think about writing a LoCI. I went complete in January, and really the best possible outcome for me is WL at this point. I figure it couldn't really hurt, but the thing is I don't have any new information to update on. I mean, I could potentially still send in another LoR that I have on file on LSAC which I didn't initially send, bringing me to four LoRs. Too much? I could also talk more specifically about why it's my ~~dream school~~ Think it's worth it for that?

I think this is the wrong approach, baring ties to the Cali market.

They're the #2 law school in the country and most people's dream school. I'd go for something along the lines of "these are the facets in which I'd contribute to the school; this is the specific program I'd most want to pursue and here's why". You don't have to tell Stanford how great they are, since they already know. You aren't trying to convince them of why you need them, but why they need you.

chickpea

Postby chickpea » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:47 pm

I didn't have any real updates but I sent a LOCI a while ago explaining why I specifically want to attend Stanford/what I would bring to the Stanford community. I didn't have a Why Stanford? type essay in my original application. At this point I figure it can't hurt.
Last edited by chickpea on Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dnptan

Postby dnptan » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:47 pm

puppiespaws wrote:I told myself if I make it through today with no DLS that I'd think about writing a LoCI. I went complete in January, and really the best possible outcome for me is WL at this point. I figure it couldn't really hurt, but the thing is I don't have any new information to update on. I mean, I could potentially still send in another LoR that I have on file on LSAC which I didn't initially send, bringing me to four LoRs. Too much? I could also talk more specifically about why it's my ~~dream school~~ Think it's worth it for that?

+1. I will be doing the same (Feb 18 Complete). Based on prior years, a decision spike is due this week:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/images/d ... anford.jpg

May the odds be ever in our favor.

anthony1027

Postby anthony1027 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:47 pm

Fingers crossed for a URM wave.

whereskyle

Postby whereskyle » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:52 pm

anthony1027 wrote:Fingers crossed for a URM wave.

holy sh*t do those softs look good.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”