Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jselson

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby jselson » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:03 pm

Congrats, Stats!

But was that it for today?!

ssanonymous

Postby ssanonymous » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:31 pm

Vincent and bluecouch, any calls?

bluecouch

Postby bluecouch » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:35 pm

Got the call! IN!!!!

ssanonymous

Postby ssanonymous » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:49 pm

bluecouch wrote:Got the call! IN!!!!

grats!!! Time to drink!

helix23

Postby helix23 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:59 pm

ssanonymous wrote:
helix23 wrote:
anthony1027 wrote:Mentally preparing myself for the fact that I might just be stuck with the NYU vs. Berkeley decision :(

hard knock life

Eh, that's not fair. Everyone has their own set of goals, so it's natural to feel disappointed if one does not reach those goals. You've gotten into a fair amount of schools, but it seems like you're still hoping for SLS.

Anthony, I hope things work out for you. If you're really not happy about the decision in front of you (which is great!), you can always take a year off. Cheers!

That was my cynical way of saying, "chin up, bra! You still have great options! :) #T14swag"

pannekoeken

Postby pannekoeken » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:40 pm

Congrats to all the new admits! That's so exciting!'

On another note, not to add to any neuroticism or anything but a day and evening phone number were added to my status checker but my email addresses have remained the same (primary is upper case and secondary is lower). Any thoughts? Maybe this is a signal for the waitlist? My numbers seem fairly consistent with what would be considered waitlist territory anyway...

ssanonymous

Postby ssanonymous » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:42 pm

helix23 wrote:
ssanonymous wrote:
helix23 wrote:
anthony1027 wrote:Mentally preparing myself for the fact that I might just be stuck with the NYU vs. Berkeley decision :(

hard knock life

Eh, that's not fair. Everyone has their own set of goals, so it's natural to feel disappointed if one does not reach those goals. You've gotten into a fair amount of schools, but it seems like you're still hoping for SLS.

Anthony, I hope things work out for you. If you're really not happy about the decision in front of you (which is great!), you can always take a year off. Cheers!

That was my cynical way of saying, "chin up, bra! You still have great options! :) #T14swag"

lol, these slight nuances get lost in forums.

pannekoeken, wouldn't make anything of it. If your primary email goes lowercase, have a party. Otherwise, just assume it's a regular ole update.

USCbusinessgrad

Postby USCbusinessgrad » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:45 pm

This may have already been addressed earlier in the thread, but does anyone know what it means if my primary email has always been lowercase and my secondary has always been uppercase?

ssanonymous

Postby ssanonymous » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:47 pm

USCbusinessgrad wrote:This may have already been addressed earlier in the thread, but does anyone know what it means if my primary email has always been lowercase and my secondary has always been uppercase?

you probably changed it in your original app. Check your SLS app via LSAC, and you'll see what your email addresses look like. Both of mine were lower case the entire time until recently when I sent an update to LSAC.

USCbusinessgrad

Postby USCbusinessgrad » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:52 pm

ssanonymous wrote:
USCbusinessgrad wrote:This may have already been addressed earlier in the thread, but does anyone know what it means if my primary email has always been lowercase and my secondary has always been uppercase?

you probably changed it in your original app. Check your SLS app via LSAC, and you'll see what your email addresses look like. Both of mine were lower case the entire time until recently when I sent an update to LSAC.

I see...so you updated your primary email to be uppercase in order to see if it changes to lowercase?

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:56 pm

USCbusinessgrad wrote:
ssanonymous wrote:

I see...so you updated your primary email to be uppercase in order to see if it changes to lowercase?

I don't think anyone on here is quite THAT obsessive. I think he had a legit update which just reset his email to uppercase when he submitted it.

USCbusinessgrad

Postby USCbusinessgrad » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:01 pm

wert3813 wrote:
USCbusinessgrad wrote:
ssanonymous wrote:

I don't think anyone on here is quite THAT obsessive. I think he had a legit update which just reset his email to uppercase when he submitted it.

Hah well I don't know about that, but I wasn't trying to imply that updating it would be weird

bbsg

Postby bbsg » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:13 pm

USCbusinessgrad wrote:Hah well I don't know about that, but I wasn't trying to imply that updating it would be weird

Just to be clear: updating it just for the SLS status check would be weird.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:25 pm

bbsg wrote:
USCbusinessgrad wrote:Hah well I don't know about that, but I wasn't trying to imply that updating it would be weird

Just to be clear: updating it just for the SLS status check would be weird.

I respectfully disagree.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:11 am

I just want to feel special again, Stanford. I just want you to love me.

jselson

Postby jselson » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:12 am

jbagelboy wrote:I just want to feel special again, Stanford. I just want you to love me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISEcsPHOfDM

Vincent

Postby Vincent » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:49 am

ssanonymous wrote:Vincent and bluecouch, any calls?

Sorry to report in late - I literally got home an hour ago after being out all day, but I got the call today!

Numbers: 3.6/172. I literally have no idea how this happened.

So that's two data points indicating that a full email address + case change = Good news. Good luck to everyone else; I want to meet you all at ASW!

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:59 am

Vincent wrote:
ssanonymous wrote:Vincent and bluecouch, any calls?

Sorry to report in late - I literally got home an hour ago after being out all day, but I got the call today!

Numbers: 3.6/172. I literally have no idea how this happened.

So that's two data points indicating that a full email address + case change = Good news. Good luck to everyone else; I want to meet you all at ASW!

amazing. fantastic. this is inspiration to subpar gpas everywhere.

did you ever LOCI?

statslaw

Postby statslaw » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:15 am

jbagelboy wrote:amazing. fantastic. this is inspiration to subpar gpas everywhere.

did you ever LOCI?

No kidding. During this cycle my GPA started at a 3.56, then moved up a little over the last two quarters. I thought I never stood a chance though...

At the very beginning of March, I sent in an LOCI. Halfway through March, I sent in a very Stanford specific LOR. I only had two LORs in my original application, so this became my third.

I thought trying to be this active might hurt me, but in the end it may have helped. :shock:

Thank you for all the congratulations, and good luck to everyone else. After waiting in the background for so long, I'm pulling for a lot of you in here.

Vincent

Postby Vincent » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:38 pm

statslaw wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:amazing. fantastic. this is inspiration to subpar gpas everywhere.

did you ever LOCI?

No kidding. During this cycle my GPA started at a 3.56, then moved up a little over the last two quarters. I thought I never stood a chance though...

At the very beginning of March, I sent in an LOCI. Halfway through March, I sent in a very Stanford specific LOR. I only had two LORs in my original application, so this became my third.

I thought trying to be this active might hurt me, but in the end it may have helped. :shock:

Thank you for all the congratulations, and good luck to everyone else. After waiting in the background for so long, I'm pulling for a lot of you in here.

Same GPA story for me. I maxed out on LoRs on the original application, but sent LoCIs in December and March. No URM or PhD or Olympic gold medal, either.

ssanonymous

Postby ssanonymous » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:47 pm

Vincent wrote:
statslaw wrote:

did you ever LOCI?

Same GPA story for me. I maxed out on LoRs on the original application, but sent LoCIs in December and March. No URM or PhD or Olympic gold medal, either.

Yeah, but you do have strong softs, right? Your LSN suggests as much + you're a STEMs major which I imagine they don't get a lot of.

Vincent

Postby Vincent » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:55 pm

ssanonymous wrote:
Vincent wrote:
statslaw wrote:

did you ever LOCI?

Yeah, but you do have strong softs, right? Your LSN suggests as much + you're a STEMs major which I imagine they don't get a lot of.

To be perfectly honest, I think that for an undergraduate, my softs would be considered strong. Compared to all of you, with your TFA, distinguished military service, years of work experience, etc., I'd be considered average, at best. It's all about context.

But yeah, I would venture a guess that they probably had at most 100 applicants from my field(s) apply this year. Most of them probably had PhDs - the PhD job market is even worse than the JD one right now.

I think the most important thing I did was keep in contact. Not obsessively, but I checked in every month or two (closer to two) with a small application update - a LoCI here, updated Fall grades there, etc. This was probably more possible for me because I was finishing up school in the Fall. I really have no other explanation for how this happened.

Lastly, faculty were apparently involved in my application, which drew out the timeline - no idea if this helps any of you, but at least some more insight into the process?

ssanonymous

Postby ssanonymous » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:59 pm

Vincent wrote:
To be perfectly honest, I think that for an undergraduate, my softs would be considered strong. Compared to all of you, with your TFA, distinguished military service, years of work experience, etc., I'd be considered average, at best. It's all about context.

But yeah, I would venture a guess that they probably had at most 100 applicants from my field(s) apply this year.

I think the most important thing I did was keep in contact. Not obsessively, but I checked in every month or two (closer to two) with a small application update - a LoCI here, updated Fall grades there, etc. This was probably more possible for me because I was finishing up school in the Fall. I really have no other explanation for how this happened.

Stanford's going to get a bunch of LoCIs this week because of this post, isn't it.

lol, yes. And I think they measure softs differently depending on where the person is coming from. If you have strong softs for an undergrad, then I think that has a positive impact. So, you for sure going to SLS?

matrim

Postby matrim » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:31 pm

Vincent wrote:
Lastly, faculty were apparently involved in my application, which drew out the timeline - no idea if this helps any of you, but at least some more insight into the process?

So I am assuming she said something to you during phone call about faculty review? Can you elaborate at all?

Vincent

Postby Vincent » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:55 pm

matrim wrote:
Vincent wrote:

So I am assuming she said something to you during phone call about faculty review? Can you elaborate at all?

Sorry, don't have any more info than what I have posted - it was just a comment. There's no doubt faculty extend the review process. If it's anything like Cal's faculty review process, the faculty would have some discretion over when they would have to return all of their admissions recommendations by.

(11/1 submit; 11/5 complete)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”