Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ManOfTheMinute

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:49 pm

carboncopyx wrote:
sinfiery wrote:There seems to be a handful of acceptances that go out by April 11th and then it's over. Full on bloodbath with WL and rejects everywhere. Looked through the last 2 years on lsn and there are 2-3 reported wl accepts a year, some as late as August.

So at this point, we have about two weeks to get in before we should abandon all hope? Sigh. I think I'm just going to start repeating to myself, "I hate mission architecture," to make the time go by.

You should never abandon hope. $20 says your application is under some pile with a huge acceptance stamp on it, and some admissions drone is gonna get fired when Faye finds out about it.

mickeysevenn

Postby mickeysevenn » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:12 pm

I'm sure this has been asked, but is there ANY WAY to view my damn application status from a macbook pro? I've tried firefox and safari and even tried to pull it up on my iphone--NOTHING!

It's killing me. Seriously.

HankBashir

Postby HankBashir » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:14 pm

mickeysevenn wrote:I'm sure this has been asked, but is there ANY WAY to view my damn application status from a macbook pro? I've tried firefox and safari and even tried to pull it up on my iphone--NOTHING!

I've pulled it up on my MacBook (using Chrome) and on my iPhone and iPad with no problem. Do you get an error message or what?

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:15 pm

mickeysevenn wrote:I'm sure this has been asked, but is there ANY WAY to view my damn application status from a macbook pro? I've tried firefox and safari and even tried to pull it up on my iphone--NOTHING!

wert3813 wrote:There are 88 pages in this thread. State your guess for how many of them include the words "status" or "checker". Jokes about how I have no life, from other people who furiously post on an internet message board about law school are optional but encouraged.

Winner (don't be lame and count, also for tie breaking the winner is the first person to submit an answer) gets a free beer by me if we end up at the same school or go to a same ASW.

Contestants:
MacB: 237
Iteachtengrade: 88
LaMuSayonga: 64
smdpnp: 72
helix: 57
mesadurvadc: 83
MOTM: 58
Digifly: 63
Jaqen: 101
Clouded Memory: 110
Trust in Music: 69
Chaucer: 180
Wormfather: 65
Gertrude: 77
cwid1391: 54

mickeysevenn

Postby mickeysevenn » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:24 pm

HankBashir wrote:

I've pulled it up on my MacBook (using Chrome) and on my iPhone and iPad with no problem. Do you get an error message or what?

Yes, I'm told that my username doesn't exist. I contacted the Office of Admissions a few months ago reporting the problem and they said they "knew about the error" and that my app was still under review.

REALLY hoping this doesn't mean I've been nixed without notice.

Eff.

I'll try Chrome. Thanks for the tip!

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:25 pm

mickeysevenn wrote:
HankBashir wrote:

Yes, I'm told that my username doesn't exist. I contacted the Office of Admissions a few months ago reporting the problem and they said they "knew about the error" and that my app was still under review.

Eff.

troll?

matrim

Postby matrim » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:32 pm

Looks like (according to kappycaft1' Spread Sheet) we have 4 maybe 5 more acceptances that will be reported on LSN - which equates to about 24 more total acceptances before the Waitlists go out.

amonthofsundays

Postby amonthofsundays » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:38 pm

So how do you think Stanford has gotten exactly 180 matrics the last few years? Do you think Faye sets the yield for ~170 then lets 10 people off the WL who she knows will attend?

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:43 pm

1. Set yield for some number below 180.

2. Let in enough people off of waitlist to get to 180.

3. Have 180 students.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:44 pm

wert3813 wrote:1. Set yield for some number below 180.

3. Have 180 students.

matrim

Postby matrim » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:45 pm

amonthofsundays wrote:So how do you think Stanford has gotten exactly 180 matrics the last few years? Do you think Faye sets the yield for ~170 then lets 10 people off the WL who she knows will attend?

Yeah, I would need to do a little more research to see exactly how many LSNs go from WL->Admit (which represent about 16.5% according to kappycaft1' LSN research for last 9 years). With that we would know a close number for the yield..but yeah I agree they yield probably between 160-170 and then use the WL to get to the 180.

mickeysevenn

Postby mickeysevenn » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:47 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
mickeysevenn wrote:
HankBashir wrote:

Eff.

troll?

ass?

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:48 pm

wert3813 wrote:1. Set yield for some number below 180.

3. Have 180 students.

bullshit

amonthofsundays

Postby amonthofsundays » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:52 pm

Just got me thinking because CW seems to be that the Stanford WL is a death sentence but it seems like there must be some decent movement off the WL to get to the same number consistently. I mean 20 people off the WL for a class of less than 200 is pretty substantial.

carboncopyx

Postby carboncopyx » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:17 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:You should never abandon hope. $20 says your application is under some pile with a huge acceptance stamp on it, and some admissions drone is gonna get fired when Faye finds out about it.

Bahahaha. I've learned to not take bets anymore from TLS (my $0.05 to vzapana really hurt my bank account) :lol:

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:20 pm

carboncopyx wrote:
ManOfTheMinute wrote:You should never abandon hope. $20 says your application is under some pile with a huge acceptance stamp on it, and some admissions drone is gonna get fired when Faye finds out about it.

Bahahaha. I've learned to not take bets anymore from TLS (my $0.05 to vzapana really hurt my bank account) :lol:

But you were wrong... so if this well proven theory holds, shortly after you take the bet you will get in. Is it not worth $20 to get into SLS and visit its wonderfully beautiful campus?

carboncopyx

Postby carboncopyx » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:26 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:But you were wrong... so if this well proven theory holds, shortly after you take the bet you will get in. Is it not worth $20 to get into SLS and visit its wonderfully beautiful campus?

... but what about money for my Eurotrip? Ahhh, so conflicted!!!

katch

Postby katch » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:48 pm

Someone care to explain this lowercase email thing on the status checker? One of my emails is lower and the other is upper and my status hasnt changed. What exactly changes?

carboncopyx

Postby carboncopyx » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:51 pm

katch wrote:Someone care to explain this lowercase email thing on the status checker? One of my emails is lower and the other is upper and my status hasnt changed. What exactly changes?

If your primary e-mail changes from uppercase to lowercase, it means you'll get a call the next business day about being admitted.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:52 pm

katch wrote:Someone care to explain this lowercase email thing on the status checker? One of my emails is lower and the other is upper and my status hasnt changed. What exactly changes?

SLS thread is the best.

Has that email always been lowercase? Did is change to lower case earlier than today?

If the answer to both those questions are no then you are getting into SLS tomorrow. If not then don't worry about it.

katch

Postby katch » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:55 pm

wert3813 wrote:

SLS thread is the best.

Has that email always been lowercase? Did is change to lower case earlier than today?

If the answer to both those questions are no then you are getting into SLS tomorrow. If not then don't worry about it.

Nothing to see here, move along. I'm visiting when I visit Berkeley even if they reject me before then. It's a pilgrimage.

bluecouch

Postby bluecouch » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:03 pm

mickeysevenn wrote:
HankBashir wrote:

Eff.

This sounds dumb... but are you sure that you are on the right page? It's easy to mistake the SLS Advanced Degrees status check page with the SLS JD status check page. I did that a few times early on. Also, I have never had a problem checking my status with my MacBook Pro.

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:59 pm

carboncopyx wrote:
ManOfTheMinute wrote:But you were wrong... so if this well proven theory holds, shortly after you take the bet you will get in. Is it not worth $20 to get into SLS and visit its wonderfully beautiful campus?

... but what about money for my Eurotrip? Ahhh, so conflicted!!!

Ahhh... fair enough, save your monies. I would kill to go to europe again this summer!!

carboncopyx

Postby carboncopyx » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:16 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:Ahhh... fair enough, save your monies. I would kill to go to europe again this summer!!

IT'S THE LAST SUMMER OF FREEDOM. MUST SEIZE OPPORTUNITY BEFORE CHAINED AND ENSLAVED AS A REAL ADULT FOREVER. :shock:

MacB

Postby MacB » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:20 pm

carboncopyx wrote:
ManOfTheMinute wrote:Ahhh... fair enough, save your monies. I would kill to go to europe again this summer!!

IT'S THE LAST SUMMER OF FREEDOM. MUST SEIZE OPPORTUNITY BEFORE CHAINED AND ENSLAVED AS A REAL ADULT FOREVER. :shock:

Where are you thinking about going? I'm torn between cycling the Scandinavian peninsula or taking a (first class, don't worry, haha) train trip across India this summer. Ahhh, last summer of freedom... :)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”