Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
amonthofsundays

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby amonthofsundays » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:29 pm

Oh its legit. I just feel sorry for the people who took the care to correct LSAC's horrible account formatting before they submitted their apps.

jselson

Postby jselson » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:32 pm

amonthofsundays wrote:Oh its legit. I just feel sorry for the people who took the care to correct LSAC's horrible account formatting before they submitted their apps.

:(

LittleTree

Postby LittleTree » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:47 pm

Hey guys, I've survived another wave of DLS but haven't heard anything in the positive. I was thinking about sending a LOCI tonight and wanted to ask if it was okay to do that via email or if I should mail it?
Also, I wanted to send another letter of rec that I think highlights another side of me that I'd like to show them. Is that OK to do this late? I would mention it in the LOCI.

I submitted and went complete in mid nov. if that helps.

Thanks!

Anonymous4444

Postby Anonymous4444 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:20 pm

LittleTree wrote:Hey guys, I've survived another wave of DLS but haven't heard anything in the positive. I was thinking about sending a LOCI tonight and wanted to ask if it was okay to do that via email or if I should mail it?
Also, I wanted to send another letter of rec that I think highlights another side of me that I'd like to show them. Is that OK to do this late? I would mention it in the LOCI.

Thanks!

No one can answer this but sure why not? how can it hurt... i applied in sep and havent heard anything yet... cant say im a pro

LittleTree

Postby LittleTree » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:24 pm

Anonymous4444 wrote:
LittleTree wrote:Hey guys, I've survived another wave of DLS but haven't heard anything in the positive. I was thinking about sending a LOCI tonight and wanted to ask if it was okay to do that via email or if I should mail it?

Thanks!

No one can answer this but sure why not? how can it hurt... i applied in sep and havent heard anything yet... cant say im a pro

Thanks for the response. How about email vs mail? Have a lot of people been emailing them?

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:32 pm

Wormfather wrote:LOWERCASE EMAIL!!!!!!

grats dude

vzapana

Postby vzapana » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:35 pm

Amazing. Congrats

Anonymous4444

Postby Anonymous4444 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:36 pm

id be afraid to mail it. if u think there is some utility in doing it then by the time the mail comes it may be too late... id email

vzapana

Postby vzapana » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:36 pm

ht2988 wrote:DLS

Sorry to hear that

carboncopyx

Postby carboncopyx » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:39 pm

Yeah Wormmmm, you're killing it :)

WalkingPlato

Postby WalkingPlato » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:44 pm

DLS = Decision Letter Sent? And I'm still sitting on late November complete! On the bright side, I didn't get DLS, which seems to be bad! :)

hyjintherye

Postby hyjintherye » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:45 pm

WalkingPlato wrote:DLS = Decision Letter Sent?

Yup

az21833

Postby az21833 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:54 pm

grats worm. welcome to sls 2016

ssanonymous

Postby ssanonymous » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:02 am

HOLY CRAP!!!!! CONGRATS!!!!!

pedestrian

Postby pedestrian » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:05 am

Congrats Worm!!! :D

Which way are you leaning?

ssanonymous

Postby ssanonymous » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:06 am

amonthofsundays wrote:Oh its legit. I just feel sorry for the people who took the care to correct LSAC's horrible account formatting before they submitted their apps.

Like me! So, so sad.

matrim

Postby matrim » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:33 am

WalkingPlato wrote:DLS = Decision Letter Sent? And I'm still sitting on late November complete! On the bright side, I didn't get DLS, which seems to be bad! :)

Seems like whenever there is a wave of DLS - there is also a "lowercase email change". Can we infer that SLS admissions is pretty similar to YLS in that it must send "possible" applications on to multiple different faculty reviews, and when a group comes back, DLSs and lowercases to follow? (unlike berkeley where people go into major FR1 & FR2 - and all find out around the same time)

WalkingPlato

Postby WalkingPlato » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:44 am

matrim wrote:
WalkingPlato wrote:DLS = Decision Letter Sent? And I'm still sitting on late November complete! On the bright side, I didn't get DLS, which seems to be bad! :)

Seems like whenever there is a wave of DLS - there is also a "lowercase email change". Can we infer that SLS admissions is pretty similar to YLS in that it must send "possible" applications on to multiple different faculty reviews, and when a group comes back, DLSs and lowercases to follow? (unlike berkeley where people go into major FR1 & FR2 - and all find out around the same time)

Hmm. I don't think I ever went through FR for Berkeley and I got in. But, let's hope it's not like YLS at all because I got flat out dinged there. But as far as the actual logistics of it, I don't think having some lowercase email changes along with DLS necessitates that faculty reviews some applications. The ad committee could just be reviewing applications and sending out decisions in bunches.

matrim

Postby matrim » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:48 am

WalkingPlato wrote:
matrim wrote:

Hmm. I don't think I ever went through FR for Berkeley and I got in. But, let's hope it's not like YLS at all because I got flat out dinged there. But as far as the actual logistics of it, I don't think having some lowercase email changes along with DLS necessitates that faculty reviews some applications. The ad committee could just be reviewing applications and sending out decisions in bunches.

If you didnt FR for Berk..then you were a auto-admit. As far as the ad committee could be reviewing and sending out decisions...why would we have such different complete dates...people in Dec being acc/rej. while Oct & Novs have had no word? Thats why I think different faculty review groups come back at different times (some take long, others more quickly). As a group comes back...ding, or accept, (or pushed to the WL pile to be sent out later)...idk, maybe not.

jselson

Postby jselson » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:58 am

matrim wrote:

This is basically what I've assumed the process is for SLS, although I imagine the adcomms have a little more say and everything's a little more streamlined. But that's all to keep me sane.

LSATSCORES2012

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:01 am

jselson wrote:
matrim wrote:

This is basically what I've assumed the process is for SLS, although I imagine the adcomms have a little more say and everything's a little more streamlined. But that's all to keep me sane.

Only problem is the huge asymmetry between the time it takes to get a ding vs acceptance. The DLS's today are still from October and November; the lowercase email (today and recently) is from January.

WalkingPlato

Postby WalkingPlato » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:08 am

matrim wrote:
WalkingPlato wrote:
matrim wrote:

If you didnt FR for Berk..then you were a auto-admit. As far as the ad committee could be reviewing and sending out decisions...why would we have such different complete dates...people in Dec being acc/rej. while Oct & Novs have had no word? Thats why I think different faculty review groups come back at different times (some take long, others more quickly). As a group comes back...ding, or accept, (or pushed to the WL pile to be sent out later)...idk, maybe not.

Why would one FR take months to do their job and another much faster? I'm sure they give each FR committee the same amount of time to reach decisions. I think some people are just reviewed and put in the designated pile (Accept, WL, Reject). They send out acceptences a lot quicker because there's no thinking there any more. For the Rejections and WL's, they might wanna keep em around to see how the next batch (or more of the app pool) they look at plays out before finalizing their deicison via sending out the letters. I've been completed and under review since late November. I can't imagine a FR that started around November and still hasn't completed their reviews. And my numbers aren't auto admit material for Berk (I think) but my PS was pretty good. I just hope Stanford has a similar view on admission.

matrim

Postby matrim » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:55 am

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:
jselson wrote:
matrim wrote:

Only problem is the huge asymmetry between the time it takes to get a ding vs acceptance. The DLS's today are still from October and November; the lowercase email (today and recently) is from January.

In this particular case, the Jan lowercase email guy may have been an auto-admit, explaining why the fast turn around.

matrim

Postby matrim » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:30 am

WalkingPlato wrote:
matrim wrote:
WalkingPlato wrote:[quote="matrim

Why would one FR take months to do their job and another much faster? I'm sure they give each FR committee the same amount of time to reach decisions. I think some people are just reviewed and put in the designated pile (Accept, WL, Reject). They send out acceptences a lot quicker because there's no thinking there any more. For the Rejections and WL's, they might wanna keep em around to see how the next batch (or more of the app pool) they look at plays out before finalizing their deicison via sending out the letters. I've been completed and under review since late November. I can't imagine a FR that started around November and still hasn't completed their reviews. And my numbers aren't auto admit material for Berk (I think) but my PS was pretty good. I just hope Stanford has a similar view on admission.

Auto-admits are not always just numbers based. Also, must consider we have had Dings from Nov, so why werent those apps kept around? I also think we must realize that they probably hold a bunch of apps, like HLS, but dont tell us. The difference with HLS is that there seems to be a pattern of completes, JS1s, JS2s, holds dings. Obviously, there are many exceptions, but there are predicatable patterns such as the average time between JS1 and JS2. SLS, there seems to be no real pattern, suggesting that like YLS, apps go to different groups of faculty reviews minus auto admits. I do think SLS is probably a bit more controlled by Add Comms, but I think the mystery coupled with the total randomness of people finding out Ding, Accpt, or WL strongly suggests my theory.

matrim

Postby matrim » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:34 am

Also, in regards to why would one faculty review take a long time and another so short...different approaches. I think the Ask Asha Blog for YLS explains how that happens all the time because some fac. take thier sweet time and others get through much more quickly....where as at Berk, it seems they all have the same dead line for FR1, and FR2 (my thought being that SLS admissions is more similar to the YLS admissions)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”