Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bobr

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby bobr » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:17 pm

lsacqueen wrote:So SLS sent me an email and I almost had a heart attack. Turns out they just wanted an updated study abroad transcript with grades so they can "review my file." I told them this might be a problem as the grades don't transfer and they don't factor into my GPA at any rate because the classes were taken at a foreign institution. They still want the grades on the transcript...

Is this a good sign that they still care about me, or is this normal? Hoping it's the former... :oops:

Edit: complete mid-October

I got the same email about a few weeks ago for what it's worth. I'm also in your exact same shoes it sounds. I asked my German school to email them the grades and cc me, Stanford never responded. Please keep me updated on what happens to you.

My opinion was it's just a formality, but I suppose there's a small glimmer of hope.

mambar

Postby mambar » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:28 pm

helix23 wrote:
WhiteyCakes wrote:There's no reason to hope, right?

Well according to http://www.mylsn.info/whenwilliknow.php it's unlikely but not impossible for September submits to get admitted way late.

It doesn't seem like the LOCI/soft hold discussion ever got resolved. I'd love to know what more people think about sending one at this point!

WhiteyCakes

Postby WhiteyCakes » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:31 pm

mambar wrote:
helix23 wrote:

Well according to http://www.mylsn.info/whenwilliknow.php it's unlikely but not impossible for September submits to get admitted way late.

It doesn't seem like the LOCI/soft hold discussion ever got resolved. I'd love to know what more people think about sending one at this point!

I always say no unless there are significant changes in your app. Saying "I love stanford" isn't helpful

mambar

Postby mambar » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:37 pm

WhiteyCakes wrote:
mambar wrote:
helix23 wrote:

I always say no unless there are significant changes in your app. Saying "I love stanford" isn't helpful

I guess that's true. Waiting just feels so weird, but I guess we did all we could once we submitted in the first place.

MsAvocadoPit

Postby MsAvocadoPit » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:14 am

I have auto-reject numbers...and

I received an email asking for a letter of good standing from my graduate degree granting institution. I thought this wasn't required? Only from undergrad? But why even bother with such low numbers... ugh. I don't have hope but it really does seem like a formality more than anything. File under review 11/02

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:26 am

MsAvocadoPit wrote:I have auto-reject numbers...and

I received an email asking for a letter of good standing from my graduate degree granting institution. I thought this wasn't required? Only from undergrad? But why even bother with such low numbers... ugh. I don't have hope but it really does seem like a formality more than anything. File under review 11/02

I dunno... I doubt they'd waste their time on that. Do you happen to be close to your grad schools' DoS? Perhaps they're trying to see if your DoS will send a nice letter about you indicating a good relationship/etc. or just check the box. I half think that that is why SLS asks for a letter of good standing; I really doubt that it is to stop people from lying about probation/etc. since that shit would get caught so quickly on the bar C&F.

bluecouch

Postby bluecouch » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:47 am

ManOfTheMinute wrote:

I dunno... I doubt they'd waste their time on that. Do you happen to be close to your grad schools' DoS? Perhaps they're trying to see if your DoS will send a nice letter about you indicating a good relationship/etc. or just check the box. I half think that that is why SLS asks for a letter of good standing; I really doubt that it is to stop people from lying about probation/etc. since that shit would get caught so quickly on the bar C&F.

Did any of your letters of recommendation come from your grad degree program? If not, they might be wondering why not and need some verification that you are doing all right in that program...

MsAvocadoPit

Postby MsAvocadoPit » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:12 pm

bluecouch wrote:
ManOfTheMinute wrote:

Did any of your letters of recommendation come from your grad degree program? If not, they might be wondering why not and need some verification that you are doing all right in that program...

Yes - my best LOR came from a professor there and that program was completed in 2010. So they HAVE my transcript from that.. good GPA. I think they are just confused...

UtilityMonster

Postby UtilityMonster » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:18 pm

Whoa, my status checker still says October 16 "application has been submitted for review."

Not sure whether I'm happy I didn't get a rejection letter or sad that I haven't seen a single update since submitting. Has this happened to anyone else?

bluecouch

Postby bluecouch » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:25 pm

MsAvocadoPit wrote:
bluecouch wrote:
ManOfTheMinute wrote:

Yes - my best LOR came from a professor there and that program was completed in 2010. So they HAVE my transcript from that.. good GPA. I think they are just confused...

Hmm. Seems weird, but Stanford is a mystery to me.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:46 pm

UtilityMonster wrote:Whoa, my status checker still says October 16 "application has been submitted for review."

Not sure whether I'm happy I didn't get a rejection letter or sad that I haven't seen a single update since submitting. Has this happened to anyone else?

Nope. No one in this thread is waiting for a decision.

Edit: NOT!

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:47 pm

BigZuck wrote:
UtilityMonster wrote:Whoa, my status checker still says October 16 "application has been submitted for review."

+1

UtilityMonster, you must be the only one Stanford hasn't given a decision to yet.

UtilityMonster

Postby UtilityMonster » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:58 pm

TripTrip wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

+1

UtilityMonster, you must be the only one Stanford hasn't given a decision to yet.

I was attempting to ask if it was normal to not see any type of update. I didn't know "app submitted for review" was what the status remained set to while your app was under review. Figured it would have been, oh, I don't know, "under review."

bluecouch

Postby bluecouch » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:02 pm

UtilityMonster wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

+1

I was attempting to ask if it was normal to not see any type of update. I didn't know "app submitted for review" was what the status remained set to while your app was under review. Figured it would have been, oh, I don't know, "under review."

Nope. Never changes.

Don't mind the folks on this thread. We've been worn pretty thin by the anxiety of waiting waiting waiting with no updates since submission. At least in other threads, folks can obsess over changes in status date -- but there is no such relief here. For an example of how crazy it gets in here, search back a few pages for the discussion of uppercase v. lowercase letters wrt your primary email. Or don't, if you want to retain your sanity.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:29 pm

bluecouch wrote:For an example of how crazy it gets in here, search back a few pages for the discussion of uppercase v. lowercase letters wrt your primary email. Or don't, if you want to retain your sanity.

Oh good lord.

abcde12345

Postby abcde12345 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:34 pm

bluecouch wrote:For an example of how crazy it gets in here, search back a few pages for the discussion of uppercase v. lowercase letters wrt your primary email. Or don't, if you want to retain your sanity.

But upper/lowercase has been verified! It is (almost) the equivalent of DLS for NYU.

ssanonymous

Postby ssanonymous » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:40 pm

SLS starts making calls around 9am PST, right?

Audeamus

Postby Audeamus » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:54 pm

ssanonymous wrote:SLS starts making calls around 9am PST, right?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they've started around 7am PST in the past. Is you email lowercase?

MacB

Postby MacB » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:57 pm

I recall someone earlier ITT who got the call at 10am EST, hahaha :)

Postby 04102014 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:01 pm

Never would have guessed they got in that early, all things considered.

bluecouch

Postby bluecouch » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:07 pm

abcde12345 wrote:

But upper/lowercase has been verified! It is (almost) the equivalent of DLS for NYU.

True, but the fact that ppl in this thread picked up on it is crazy. Since there are no date changes, everything is scrutinized. And, yay, it wasn't a fluke! I totally check for a change in uppercase to lowercase when I check it. Hell, that little piece of info is why I still check Stanford's status checker.

The fact that someone on this thread figured it out, though, is, well... telling.

abcde12345

Postby abcde12345 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:35 pm

bluecouch wrote:True, but the fact that ppl in this thread picked up on it is crazy. Since there are no date changes, everything is scrutinized. And, yay, it wasn't a fluke! I totally check for a change in uppercase to lowercase when I check it. Hell, that little piece of info is why I still check Stanford's status checker.

The fact that someone on this thread figured it out, though, is, well... telling.

Yeah, "Top Law Schools" is really a mediocre name for this forum. It should be called "Neurotic Law Students" or something.

masked kavana

Postby masked kavana » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:40 pm

DLS today :(

UR 10/5

ssanonymous

Postby ssanonymous » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:53 pm

masked kavana wrote:DLS today :(

UR 10/5

I'm so sorry! :(

digifly