Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
iteachtenthgrade
Posts: 131
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:42 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby iteachtenthgrade » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:55 pm

Anyone who applied in early November thinking of writing/written a LOCI?

Basically I'm asking if early November would make me one of those "soft-holds" or not.

User avatar
ssanonymous
Posts: 513
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby ssanonymous » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:22 pm

iteachtenthgrade wrote:Anyone who applied in early November thinking of writing/written a LOCI?

Basically I'm asking if early November would make me one of those "soft-holds" or not.


I think we'll have a better idea on Monday. Right now it looks like applicants in Sept got dings. If you have something AMAZING!!!! to add, then I'd do it regardless.

User avatar
trojandave
Posts: 389
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:25 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby trojandave » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:23 pm

ssanonymous wrote:
iteachtenthgrade wrote:Anyone who applied in early November thinking of writing/written a LOCI?

Basically I'm asking if early November would make me one of those "soft-holds" or not.


I think we'll have a better idea on Monday. Right now it looks like applicants in Sept got dings. If you have something AMAZING!!!! to add, then I'd do it regardless.


Why monday?

User avatar
ssanonymous
Posts: 513
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby ssanonymous » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:32 pm

trojandave wrote:
ssanonymous wrote:
iteachtenthgrade wrote:Anyone who applied in early November thinking of writing/written a LOCI?

Basically I'm asking if early November would make me one of those "soft-holds" or not.


I think we'll have a better idea on Monday. Right now it looks like applicants in Sept got dings. If you have something AMAZING!!!! to add, then I'd do it regardless.


Why monday?


Non-Cali people should get their letters = more data on LSN. Then we can determine if it's just Sept applicants or Sept-Nov applicants that are getting dings.

iteachtenthgrade
Posts: 131
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:42 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby iteachtenthgrade » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:18 pm

ssanonymous wrote:
trojandave wrote:
ssanonymous wrote:
iteachtenthgrade wrote:Anyone who applied in early November thinking of writing/written a LOCI?

Basically I'm asking if early November would make me one of those "soft-holds" or not.


I think we'll have a better idea on Monday. Right now it looks like applicants in Sept got dings. If you have something AMAZING!!!! to add, then I'd do it regardless.


Why monday?


Non-Cali people should get their letters = more data on LSN. Then we can determine if it's just Sept applicants or Sept-Nov applicants that are getting dings.


And naturally I leave California for vacation this week. FML.

User avatar
ssanonymous
Posts: 513
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby ssanonymous » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:47 pm

And naturally I leave California for vacation this week. FML.


yeah, but you don't have "DLS" on your status, right? You're good.

mambar
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:11 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby mambar » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:44 pm

ssanonymous wrote:
trojandave wrote:
ssanonymous wrote:
iteachtenthgrade wrote:Anyone who applied in early November thinking of writing/written a LOCI?

Basically I'm asking if early November would make me one of those "soft-holds" or not.


I think we'll have a better idea on Monday. Right now it looks like applicants in Sept got dings. If you have something AMAZING!!!! to add, then I'd do it regardless.


Why monday?


Non-Cali people should get their letters = more data on LSN. Then we can determine if it's just Sept applicants or Sept-Nov applicants that are getting dings.

Presidents Day :(

Anonymous4444
Posts: 631
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:41 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby Anonymous4444 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:25 pm

So I'm a September applicant sill under review. No dls.... Does that mean I'm basically on hold?

User avatar
ssanonymous
Posts: 513
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby ssanonymous » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:41 pm

Anonymous4444 wrote:So I'm a September applicant sill under review. No dls.... Does that mean I'm basically on hold?


Depends if they're doing a series of dings over the next few days. Assuming that's not the case, you might be an admit or a soft hold. The last few people accepted on LSN had complete dates ranging from Oct-Jan, so they're not accepting applicants in any particular order. If you have a LOCI, I'd send it. I think the LOCIs with the most weight are those stating that you will attend if admitted. SLS's yield is at 48.4% while YLS's is at 81.3%, so I think they'd like to bridge that gap.

User avatar
ManOfTheMinute
Posts: 1562
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:54 am

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:36 pm

ssanonymous wrote:
Anonymous4444 wrote:So I'm a September applicant sill under review. No dls.... Does that mean I'm basically on hold?


Depends if they're doing a series of dings over the next few days. Assuming that's not the case, you might be an admit or a soft hold. The last few people accepted on LSN had complete dates ranging from Oct-Jan, so they're not accepting applicants in any particular order. If you have a LOCI, I'd send it. I think the LOCIs with the most weight are those stating that you will attend if admitted. SLS's yield is at 48.4% while YLS's is at 81.3%, so I think they'd like to bridge that gap.


Yeah, but plenty of less scrupulous people would write that even if HLS or YLS were actually their top choice

User avatar
Yukos
Posts: 1774
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:47 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby Yukos » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:19 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
ssanonymous wrote:
Anonymous4444 wrote:So I'm a September applicant sill under review. No dls.... Does that mean I'm basically on hold?


Depends if they're doing a series of dings over the next few days. Assuming that's not the case, you might be an admit or a soft hold. The last few people accepted on LSN had complete dates ranging from Oct-Jan, so they're not accepting applicants in any particular order. If you have a LOCI, I'd send it. I think the LOCIs with the most weight are those stating that you will attend if admitted. SLS's yield is at 48.4% while YLS's is at 81.3%, so I think they'd like to bridge that gap.


Yeah, but plenty of less scrupulous people would write that even if HLS or YLS were actually their top choice


Yeah I think the only way to get a "this is my first choice boost" is an ED, since then you're legally locked into going. Otherwise you could just send a "this is my first choice!" letter to every school. Also, I'm sure lots of people feel a school is their first choice but end up changing their minds after ASWs, getting into a school they didn't expect to get into, etc. Without the contract of the ED there's no way for admissions to know that this won't happen no matter how sincere you are at the time you write the letter.

User avatar
ssanonymous
Posts: 513
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby ssanonymous » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:44 pm

Yukos wrote:
ManOfTheMinute wrote:
ssanonymous wrote:
Anonymous4444 wrote:So I'm a September applicant sill under review. No dls.... Does that mean I'm basically on hold?


Depends if they're doing a series of dings over the next few days. Assuming that's not the case, you might be an admit or a soft hold. The last few people accepted on LSN had complete dates ranging from Oct-Jan, so they're not accepting applicants in any particular order. If you have a LOCI, I'd send it. I think the LOCIs with the most weight are those stating that you will attend if admitted. SLS's yield is at 48.4% while YLS's is at 81.3%, so I think they'd like to bridge that gap.


Yeah, but plenty of less scrupulous people would write that even if HLS or YLS were actually their top choice


Yeah I think the only way to get a "this is my first choice boost" is an ED, since then you're legally locked into going. Otherwise you could just send a "this is my first choice!" letter to every school. Also, I'm sure lots of people feel a school is their first choice but end up changing their minds after ASWs, getting into a school they didn't expect to get into, etc. Without the contract of the ED there's no way for admissions to know that this won't happen no matter how sincere you are at the time you write the letter.


I disagree with this. I've talked to former admissions officers, and they've told me that a statement that says "I've gotten into X comparable law school, but I will attend your school if admitted" makes a difference. My friend got into YLS, and did that for HLS, and now he's attending HLS. And I think it might matter more for SLS because their yield is very low compared to YLS and HLS. So if you're a somewhat competitive applicant ie a soft-hold, I think writing that sort of LOCI can help. Yeah there are dbags who throw that out there without the intention of following through, but I think those are rare cases. I mean, I'd view a LOCI like that as pretty much binding. Especially if you don't have auto-admit numbers.

User avatar
pacifica
Posts: 207
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:34 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby pacifica » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:45 pm

ssanonymous wrote:I disagree with this. I've talked to former admissions officers, and they've told me that a statement that says "I've gotten into X comparable law school, but I will attend your school if admitted" makes a difference. My friend got into YLS, and did that for HLS, and now he's attending HLS. And I think it might matter more for SLS because their yield is very low compared to YLS and HLS. So if you're a somewhat competitive applicant ie a soft-hold, I think writing that sort of LOCI can help. Yeah there are dbags who throw that out there without the intention of following through, but I think those are rare cases. I mean, I'd view a LOCI like that as pretty much binding. Especially if you don't have auto-admit numbers.


I agree with your sentiment, but the LOCI = "pretty much binding" is a bit of a stretch IMO. I think it carries some weight, but more along the lines of "it also shows me that you are an active and engaged participant in this process. Many applicants take the approach of “I’ve done my part and now I just need to wait it out” or “I’ve met all the application requirements and I’ll just sit back and wait for SLS to do their part.” Fair enough. This approach works. However, is it a bad thing to stay a bit more engaged?" (http://blogs.law.stanford.edu/admission ... it-begins/).

Definitely do it! But don't expect it to carry any weight anywhere near an ED contract...

User avatar
WhiteyCakes
Posts: 1390
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:38 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby WhiteyCakes » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:53 pm

ssanonymous wrote:
iteachtenthgrade wrote:Anyone who applied in early November thinking of writing/written a LOCI?

Basically I'm asking if early November would make me one of those "soft-holds" or not.


I think we'll have a better idea on Monday. Right now it looks like applicants in Sept got dings. If you have something AMAZING!!!! to add, then I'd do it regardless.


Whoa whaa? What did I miss?

User avatar
twinkletoes16
Posts: 1317
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby twinkletoes16 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:52 pm

if we were an early Dec. complete applicant, would a LOCI be appropriate or should we continue to wait?

User avatar
bluecouch
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:53 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby bluecouch » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:04 pm

twinkletoes16 wrote:if we were an early Dec. complete applicant, would a LOCI be appropriate or should we continue to wait?


Given that Stanford has been slow to make any decisions and just started making them recently, I was just going to wait it out (12/6 complete here). But then again, Stanford is a long shot for me, and unless it's a straight ding, I don't expect to hear until later in the cycle anyway...

User avatar
ManOfTheMinute
Posts: 1562
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:54 am

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:37 pm

ssanonymous wrote:
Yukos wrote:
Yeah I think the only way to get a "this is my first choice boost" is an ED, since then you're legally locked into going. Otherwise you could just send a "this is my first choice!" letter to every school. Also, I'm sure lots of people feel a school is their first choice but end up changing their minds after ASWs, getting into a school they didn't expect to get into, etc. Without the contract of the ED there's no way for admissions to know that this won't happen no matter how sincere you are at the time you write the letter.


I disagree with this. I've talked to former admissions officers, and they've told me that a statement that says "I've gotten into X comparable law school, but I will attend your school if admitted" makes a difference. My friend got into YLS, and did that for HLS, and now he's attending HLS. And I think it might matter more for SLS because their yield is very low compared to YLS and HLS. So if you're a somewhat competitive applicant ie a soft-hold, I think writing that sort of LOCI can help. Yeah there are dbags who throw that out there without the intention of following through, but I think those are rare cases. I mean, I'd view a LOCI like that as pretty much binding. Especially if you don't have auto-admit numbers.


True, if they say that they've gotten into a comparable law school, its will hold more weight - partially because that part can actually be validated and its more unlikely that someone would say that its their first choice if they had already gotten into their first choice. I would likely only say a school is my first choice if I backed it up with why I wanted to go there compared to other schools... which I guess is kinda the point of a LOCI so yeah, i guess its not that bad and could be a slightttt bump. Although, definitely not binding or anything crazy like that - especailly taking into account ASWs. For example, my first choice is currently SLS, but if I get into H or Y, their ASWs couldddd sway me.

WRT yield number, I doubt that SLS really cares too much. The reason that their yield is low comparatively is likely the east coast bias. The only way that they could overcome it would be to accept applicants that are sub-par, which they are not doing as something like 65% of their applicants get into HLS and 30% into YLS (higher than HLS' numbers), so they have likely just accepted that their yield is never going to be 65-80%

User avatar
xjustyoursmile
Posts: 126
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:23 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby xjustyoursmile » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:43 pm

My numbers are a definite stretch for Stanford, but I'm just curious about what you guys think of this...

I applied early Nov, when should I send a LOCI?

Also, because I didn't apply to any 'comparable schools' (HY) would it help to let them know Stanford is my top choice because if I go to law school far from San Jose the mock trial team I coach for in San Jose wouldn't be able to exist because the other coach is retiring and I would be leaving for law school (leaving the team without a coach). I was thinking of showing my dedication to the area and my potential to use a Stanford legal education to give back to the community rather than just pursue my own interests. I mean, it's difficult to convince a top 3 school that it's the school for you because everyone wants in, so would this be different AND would help?

User avatar
ManOfTheMinute
Posts: 1562
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:54 am

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:51 pm

xjustyoursmile wrote:My numbers are a definite stretch for Stanford, but I'm just curious about what you guys think of this...

I applied early Nov, when should I send a LOCI?

Also, because I didn't apply to any 'comparable schools' (HY) would it help to let them know Stanford is my top choice because if I go to law school far from San Jose the mock trial team I coach for in San Jose wouldn't be able to exist because the other coach is retiring and I would be leaving for law school (leaving the team without a coach). I was thinking of showing my dedication to the area and my potential to use a Stanford legal education to give back to the community rather than just pursue my own interests. I mean, it's difficult to convince a top 3 school that it's the school for you because everyone wants in, so would this be different AND would help?


With a 168/3.1, it couldn't hurt. Don't make it too long, but spend some quality time on it.

That being said, SLS isn't going to want someone who wants them just for geographical reasons... have to make sure that more depth to your legal pursuit shows than that. Although, I wouldn't hold me breath with a 3.1 (3.2 was their low last year)

User avatar
xjustyoursmile
Posts: 126
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:23 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby xjustyoursmile » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:57 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
xjustyoursmile wrote:My numbers are a definite stretch for Stanford, but I'm just curious about what you guys think of this...

I applied early Nov, when should I send a LOCI?

Also, because I didn't apply to any 'comparable schools' (HY) would it help to let them know Stanford is my top choice because if I go to law school far from San Jose the mock trial team I coach for in San Jose wouldn't be able to exist because the other coach is retiring and I would be leaving for law school (leaving the team without a coach). I was thinking of showing my dedication to the area and my potential to use a Stanford legal education to give back to the community rather than just pursue my own interests. I mean, it's difficult to convince a top 3 school that it's the school for you because everyone wants in, so would this be different AND would help?


With a 168/3.1, it couldn't hurt. Don't make it too long, but spend some quality time on it.

That being said, SLS isn't going to want someone who wants them just for geographical reasons... have to make sure that more depth to your legal pursuit shows than that. Although, I wouldn't hold me breath with a 3.1 (3.2 was their low last year)


Oh don't worry, I haven't been holding my breath at all! Haha. Yeah, I agree. I know that the geographical reasons wouldn't work, which was why I was wondering if showing that I am pursuing a legal career not only for me but to also give back (as shown through coaching high school students).

Thank you for the tips, I'll make sure to not make it too long! This is going to be tricky though.

Should I send it ASAP or wait a little more?

User avatar
xjustyoursmile
Posts: 126
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:23 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby xjustyoursmile » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:02 am

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
xjustyoursmile wrote:My numbers are a definite stretch for Stanford, but I'm just curious about what you guys think of this...

I applied early Nov, when should I send a LOCI?

Also, because I didn't apply to any 'comparable schools' (HY) would it help to let them know Stanford is my top choice because if I go to law school far from San Jose the mock trial team I coach for in San Jose wouldn't be able to exist because the other coach is retiring and I would be leaving for law school (leaving the team without a coach). I was thinking of showing my dedication to the area and my potential to use a Stanford legal education to give back to the community rather than just pursue my own interests. I mean, it's difficult to convince a top 3 school that it's the school for you because everyone wants in, so would this be different AND would help?


With a 168/3.1, it couldn't hurt. Don't make it too long, but spend some quality time on it.

That being said, SLS isn't going to want someone who wants them just for geographical reasons... have to make sure that more depth to your legal pursuit shows than that. Although, I wouldn't hold me breath with a 3.1 (3.2 was their low last year)


Also, your avatar makes me so happy. I feel like Ron is giving me his sage advice.

User avatar
zdamico
Posts: 167
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:57 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby zdamico » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:12 pm

Second to last week of February and only a handful of people have reported rejections. What in the world is going on?

User avatar
chickpea
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby chickpea » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:13 pm

Any guesses on when the next wave of acceptances will come out?

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2738
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby TripTrip » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:54 pm

chickpea wrote:Any guesses on when the next wave of acceptances will come out?

2014.

whereskyle
Posts: 713
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:37 am

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby whereskyle » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:02 pm

TripTrip wrote:
chickpea wrote:Any guesses on when the next wave of acceptances will come out?

2014.


my fave.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”