Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
venus

Re: Stanford C/O 2016 Applicants Thread

Postby venus » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:41 am

I've been wondering for a while... Does anyone know what explains SLS relatively low LSAT stats? Do they just get a lot of URMs who pull the percentiles down, or do they just emphasize on GPA and softs more?

VasaVasori

Post removed.

Postby VasaVasori » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:56 am

Post removed.
Last edited by VasaVasori on Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:29 pm, edited 5 times in total.

arklaw13

Postby arklaw13 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:30 pm

Dylanlj13 wrote:So I got my status checker and it says my file is incomplete, but everything that they require from me is in. I sent my dean's letter in way before I ever applied and the checker says that it is there. The only thing not checked is study abroad transcript, which I won't have. Hmm...

So I emailed them about this today and received a response in 8 minutes. Zomg they're fast. Must have robots working there.

WhatOurBodiesAreFor

Postby WhatOurBodiesAreFor » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:59 am

Would it be completely obtuse for me, with a 167 and 3.8, to apply? I have a DS, decent softs and PS, and my own story and all of that. But, yeah, it's Stanford. I would rather save 121 dollars than to throw such a costly hail mary.

(Sorry for the spam - asked a similar question on the Yale thread - it's just TLS is my only resource!)

tiger11

Postby tiger11 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:18 am

WhatOurBodiesAreFor wrote:Would it be completely obtuse for me, with a 167 and 3.8, to apply? I have a DS, decent softs and PS, and my own story and all of that. But, yeah, it's Stanford. I would rather save 121 dollars than to throw such a costly hail mary.

(Sorry for the spam - asked a similar question on the Yale thread - it's just TLS is my only resource!)

I would say no, it's not a waste. SLS really loves its softs and it's really a low risk high reward thing unless you really don't think you have a snowball's chance. Granted, your application would have to be pretty great and Faye will have to love you but cycles are unpredictable...!

tiger11

Postby tiger11 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:21 am

VasaVasori wrote:
venus wrote:I've been wondering for a while... Does anyone know what explains SLS relatively low LSAT stats? Do they just get a lot of URMs who pull the percentiles down, or do they just emphasize on GPA and softs more?

It seems to me that it's the softs, primarily.

Check out the graph at: http://mylsn.info/graph.php?school=stanford

Notice that there is a HUGE intermediate area, where you have neither a great chance of admission nor a bad chance of admission. Somewhere in the middle. Compare this to Harvard's graph, where there is an almost instantaneous change from admit to deny.

In some ways, then, Stanford seems to be more competitive than Harvard, insofar as a lot of people who are basically auto-admits at Harvard would have to worry about Stanford. 174/3.91 is an 85% chance at Harvard, but only a 41% chance at Stanford. That having been said, Stanford does say that it enrolls a higher percentage of URM's than any of its peer schools, so that could also contribute.

Couldn't explain it better myself. Stanford pulls a lot of URMs (speaking from personal experience :D) but there also seems to be a high interest on softs, obviously numbers have to be good but I don't think it hinges as much on it as maybe Y or H. I can tell you for certain that it didn't feel that way with my acceptance to Harvard, just seemed like they were like "hey we need a URM let's grab him" while Faye and SLS seemed (who can really know, of course) to want me there based on a comprehensive review of my person :)

At least that's what I want to hope.

sean21

Postby sean21 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:29 am

First calls went out on Dec. 14 last cycle. Any theories on decision dates this time around? I'm stuck in the calm before the December/January storm and yet I still can't stop checking this thread.

arklaw13

Postby arklaw13 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:23 am

WhatOurBodiesAreFor wrote:Would it be completely obtuse for me, with a 167 and 3.8, to apply? I have a DS, decent softs and PS, and my own story and all of that. But, yeah, it's Stanford. I would rather save 121 dollars than to throw such a costly hail mary.

Apply for a need-based fee waiver? I did and they didn't ask for any kind of documentation, so it was really quick. I think it was a one or two day turnaround before they approved it.

hannahk

Postby hannahk » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:13 am

sean21 wrote:First calls went out on Dec. 14 last cycle. Any theories on decision dates this time around? I'm stuck in the calm before the December/January storm and yet I still can't stop checking this thread.

I have the same question. I'm in the same boat - I know I should just sit back and relax because it's out of my hands now but I can't hep but compulsively check these threads to see if anyone has heard anything miraculously early...

ssanonymous

Postby ssanonymous » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:07 pm

Dylanlj13 wrote:

Apply for a need-based fee waiver? I did and they didn't ask for any kind of documentation, so it was really quick. I think it was a one or two day turnaround before they approved it.

Really? I had to submit a lot of documents, and I still haven't heard back.

digifly

Postby digifly » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:59 pm

App's now complete and under review. Here's to hoping!

Anonymous4444

Postby Anonymous4444 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:31 pm

:-)

tiger11

Postby tiger11 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:59 am

digifly wrote:App's now complete and under review. Here's to hoping!

Good luck!!

LSATSCORES2012

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:06 pm

Took the June LSAT, submitted to Stanford, registered for the October LSAT, and got an email from Stanford telling me that they weren't reviewing my file until they got my October LSAT score. After taking the October LSAT, I went under review and subsequently registered for the December LSAT, though a few days later I withdrew that registration and got a refund. Today, Stanford emailed me saying that my application has been placed on the side until they receive my December LSAT score, and I replied thanking them but informing them that I had withdrawn my registration for the December LSAT, and so they were welcome to review my file.

Here's to hoping they don't reject me for just being annoying.

maxmartin

Postby maxmartin » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:12 pm

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:

they won't do that, :mrgreen: the funny thing is I am in the similar situation as you, but never received the email about not reviewing the file until later test score come out. And my file was already under review according to the tracker before I received my Oct score.

whatisthewhat

Postby whatisthewhat » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:29 pm

dammit, dean form isn't in and am getting weirdly fixated on it. is only piece of any of my apps currently missing.

good luck everyone!!

florida1949

Postby florida1949 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:57 pm

just submitted, ultimate hail mary.

for me, bay area > anywhere else

unfortunately, my gpa probably precludes me from getting in here/berkeley

176/3.5

arklaw13

Postby arklaw13 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:16 pm

ssanonymous wrote:
Dylanlj13 wrote:

I didn't have to submit much of anything. I printed out my scholarship info off my college's banner system. I didn't have to get it from my financial aid office or anything. It literally took me thirty minutes to fill out, scan, and email in. I sent it September 24, probably after close of business, received a confirmation that they received it the next day, and received the waiver code the 28th.

Granted, my financial situation is that I'm in college with no assets and no parental information to submit, so that might make it a bit easier.

ssanonymous

Postby ssanonymous » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:01 pm

Dylanlj13 wrote:
ssanonymous wrote:
Dylanlj13 wrote:

I didn't have to submit much of anything. I printed out my scholarship info off my college's banner system. I didn't have to get it from my financial aid office or anything. It literally took me thirty minutes to fill out, scan, and email in. I sent it September 24, probably after close of business, received a confirmation that they received it the next day, and received the waiver code the 28th.

Granted, my financial situation is that I'm in college with no assets and no parental information to submit, so that might make it a bit easier.

Dylanlj13,

I'm actually in the same financial situation. I applied for the waiver on 11/07, and I still haven't heard back. It looks like I'll probably have to wait until the end of Thanksgiving break to hear back, which is a real bummer. I really wanted to apply early.

Omnivalc

Postby Omnivalc » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:54 pm

Just submitted last night. Kind of a reach but whatever, figured it was worth it.

voytek

Postby voytek » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:55 pm

Omnivalc wrote:Just submitted last night. Kind of a reach but whatever, figured it was worth it.

Good luck to you! My app just went complete; fingers crossed!

LSATSCORES2012

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:56 pm

maxmartin wrote:
LSATSCORES2012 wrote:

they won't do that, :mrgreen: the funny thing is I am in the similar situation as you, but never received the email about not reviewing the file until later test score come out. And my file was already under review according to the tracker before I received my Oct score.

Huh, interesting... I wonder if you have to put it on the app that you're retaking...? But I didn't put the Dec retake on the app... but they must have gotten notification when I registered.

In any case, I'm back under review! :lol:

anela00

Postby anela00 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:12 pm

Wow that was quick. Submitted on Saturday, received yesterday, complete and under review as of today. Soooo nervous!!

djwjddl

Postby djwjddl » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:55 am

Anybody having trouble logging in? My user Id is not recognized for some reason. Reached out to the admissions office and they said it was a problem they were aware of and that lsac (?) was working to resolve it. However, even at this moment, I can't log in.

Mdenis1

Postby Mdenis1 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:01 am

djwjddl wrote:Anybody having trouble logging in? My user Id is not recognized for some reason. Reached out to the admissions office and they said it was a problem they were aware of and that lsac (?) was working to resolve it. However, even at this moment, I can't log in.

I had the same problem, tried from about ten different computers with every browser and my user name just isn't recognized. I emailed Stanford about it, and they told me they'd be keeping in touch with me via email. One less status checker to check ;)

Does anyone know if anyone (whether here or on LSN or whatever) has heard anything yet from Stanford, rejection, acceptance, hold whatever?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”